The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

Let's see... As far as I can remember, I haven't done anything really detrimental as a facepalm moment, but I have something that's close.
In 2008, I was only acquainted with Pokemon Ruby. Granted, I was 9 years old back then too, and didn't know much about Pokemon aside from what I could see in that game. A sixth grader on my buswould tell me about the best Dragon move: Draco Meteor. He told me that it could be found in Ruby, but it was very difficult to get. You had to go to the Seafloor Cavern and there, if you surfed across the lava, you would get the TM for it.
I checked and I wasn't able to get anywhere near the lava, let alone surf in it. Then he told me that there's a secret passage that leads there. And if you look, there's an egg of a Togepi. In other words... He was telling me that Groudon attacked because it was guarding a Togepi egg.
Groudon the overprotective mother, ladies and gents.
Needless to say, I believed him and searched that cave completely with my newfound knowledge of a secret that none of my friends seemed to know... Because a week later I learned that there was no Drcao Meteor in Gen 3. You can't get to the lava. And Groudon, believe it or not, wasn't guarding a Togepi egg.
Gullible me only lost a few max repels in the game, but I'm pretty sure I lost most of my dignity too.
Nah, your dignity is fine. Almost all of us have done something similar:

Ahh, generation 5 memories. I remember my first time playing through Pokemon Black, and I had finally reached the elite 4. I could not pass the first one for the life of me. So, being the 9 year old I was, I raged quit and stopped playing for a month or so. Then, during summer of next year, I decided to pick it up again, to no avail. Eventually, about a year later from when I first played it, I had realized the problem: My entire team was level 30-40. Smh.

I have some gen 5 memories as well.

I could not beat Iris in White 2.

Even though I had a level 67 Hydreigon, that at the time murdered everything, except that damn Haxorus.

One time, I actually beat the Haxorus.

I was so happy.

I lost to Archeops.

I was so mad.

I hate Gen V.

EDIT: Once, I went on Wi-Fi and battled a trainer with a Porygon-Z with Download. It swept my team with Tri Attack alone.

To this day I still think Porygon-Z is overpowered.

Last edited:
In my first pokemon game Pearl when 9 years old. I was actually decent, researching specific items and pokemon types to my advantage.

Be on Iron Island, looking for shiny stone to evolve my Roselia.

One step away from the indicated Shiny Stone, when boom! Wild Shiny Golbat appears!

I had heard of Shiny pokemon before, so I thankfully caught my first Shiny pokemon.

After that encounter, I assumed that being around Shiny Stones = More shiny pokemon

Quickly pull up Google to see where next Shiny Stone in game is located.

Find out near Resort Area, but after advancing there in the game, I must of spent hours walking around the grass near that Shiny Stone just hoping to find another shiny poke.

Eventually give up, but now looking at my sheer stroke of luck and immatureness back then, I feel pretty embarressed.

When I was playing Pokemon Blue for the first time about 14 years ago I remember using rage constantly. Even though the move sucked ass. I also found the TM for Rage and guess what? I taught that to one of my pokemon too. So now I had two pokemon with Rage.

Also blindy using other crappy TM like Teleport, Skull Bash and Razor Wind on my pokemon.

I also battled Brock so many times that my Charmander evolved to Charmeleon and it was level 18 before I finally beat Brock. If I only knew how Bide worked....

Wasting my first Master ball on something stupid. I thought that it was just another Poke ball.

I killed Mewtwo. After learning about Masterball I started my game over just so that I could catch Mewtwo

Finding a shiny Bellsprout and running away from it. I thought that it was a glitch.

Not being able to beat Whitney's Miltank. Rollout wasn't the problem for me. It was the fucking Milk Drink.

Trading my Articuno to my friend. Guess what he did? He replaced Ice Beam with Mist.

Trying to Earthquake Koffing and Gastly family. I played Pokemon yellow at least 2000 hours so I really got used to the fact that my Dugtrio would ohko them with Dig or Earthquake.

Trying to Leech Seed or status Sap Sipper users. Trying to use Stun Spore or Sleep Powder against grass types. Trying to paralyze electric types.

Trying a nuzlocke challenge with a fucking Shedinja on my team. That was a brilliant idea.

I have done A LOT of other stupid things too, but I can barely remember them anymore. After playing Pokemon for 14 years it's really hard to remember everything that you have done.

I didn't realize that those aren't Flygon's eyes, they are just natural goggles.
Also, in other "Oh, those are its eyes..." news:
[strike]
[/strike]
When I first saw Armaldo it was in Platinum, so I had to go with the sprite:

I though those red spots on its head (its nose?) were the eyes. Took me years to realize that I was wrong.
SAME.
Except with a different Pokemon.

You see, I thought those weird markings on Cradily's head were its eyes and its actual eyes (the yellow circle in the black space) were its teeth. I didn't realize that I was wrong until I saw one in the anime.

I will say that Cradily looks a lot derpier if you look at it the way I was.

SAME.

You see, I thought those weird markings on Cradily's head were its eyes and its actual eyes (the yellow circle in the black space) were its teeth. I didn't realize that I was wrong until I saw one in the anime.

And they are the Gen III Fossils. Makes you wonder...

SAME.

I saw it the same, but now you've ruined Cradily for me... >:|

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Speaking of trying to figure out what a Pokemon is suppose to look like, did anyone else see Nosepass the first time by battling Roxanne's in Ruby/Sapphire? You know, when its sprite looked like this:

Nowadays we know what its suppose to be showing, but back then? The bottom of its foot looks like a mouth whistling so I thought it was a whistling rock head with its arms being its ears and its standing leg being a neck. Also I thought the "eyelids" was its iris and the whites & pupil were black instead of it having its eyes closed.

I am roughly 90% sure that I once ran from a shiny Unown. It was one of those "double-take but already too late" things. I was hunting for it too, but only half paying attention, and with no sound! I didn't even give myself a chance to hear the sparkles because my sound was off. The 10% doubt stems from the fact that because I ran, I can never be 100% sure that my eyes weren't deceiving me.

I also believed that rumor back in gen 3 that said you could board the Mossdeep rocket and fly to the moon to catch Jirachi. I got super excited when it was announced that you could go to space in ORAS, but it seems like there's no Jirachi there either.

That damn white rock (obviously Jirachi) has taunted me ever since I first got Emerald.

in diamond I K.O.ed Girantina and then saved because the battle tower forced a save, then restarted the entire game because I thought I couldn't get Girantina any more. I also missed transferring my shiny when transferring my pokes from diamond to platinum.

This happened just a few seconds ago.
Meditite is storing energy!
Beldum used Zen Headbutt!
Meditite is storing energy!
Beldum used Zen Headbutt!
Beldum's attack missed!
Meditite unleashed energy!
Beldum fainted!
RAAGGGEE!
It's actually moreso hax than facepalm worthy, but yeah....

SAME.

Nope still can't see it the normal way.

Had one a few minutes ago. Not running-from-a-shiny level facepalm, but it wasted a lot of my time.

In my old Pearl game, I was planning to catch the roamers and to SR for a shiny Giratina. I was going to use a Smeargle for this, due to its ability to learn so many helpful moves.
I needed a Spore 'mon so Smeargle could Sketch it. The problem? Paras was a changing Pokémon in the Great Marsh, which I couldn't encounter that day, and Shroomish (which was in the Great Marsh) learned it at level 45 (Breloom doesn't learn it). So, I powerleveled my Shroomish with the Exp. Share, pressing B to prevent evolution.
When it got to level 41, I taught it Seed Bomb over Giga Drain. Then I looked away, and it had evolved.

In alpha sapphire I spent several minutes wandering around team aqua's hideout looking for the beds to rest and heal my party because i forgot about the stairs (as in literally forgot they existed)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In a my recent playthrough of Alpha Sapphire I finished I think the 3rd Trick House when I had difficulty finding the Trick Master. I figured it was probably becuase I was at the point I was heading to Fortree City thus they made it so I need the Devon Scope to see him. Well I did what I needed to do and returned to the Trick House... and still couldn't find him. The Devon Scope didn't activate. So I spent the next few minutes clicking every square of his house till I found him. He was "hiding" under one of the sitting pillows (how did he hide under it? Is there a trapdoor?). Anyway after that facepalm I was able to complete the last 2 Trick House (boy that last one was annoying, eventually I needed to make a map).

In a my recent playthrough of Alpha Sapphire I finished I think the 3rd Trick House when I had difficulty finding the Trick Master. I figured it was probably becuase I was at the point I was heading to Fortree City thus they made it so I need the Devon Scope to see him. Well I did what I needed to do and returned to the Trick House... and still couldn't find him. The Devon Scope didn't activate. So I spent the next few minutes clicking every square of his house till I found him. He was "hiding" under one of the sitting pillows (how did he hide under it? Is there a trapdoor?). Anyway after that facepalm I was able to complete the last 2 Trick House (boy that last one was annoying, eventually I needed to make a map).
I remember that one from Ruby! That was a frustrating one.
Hmm...I need to go back and finish the Trick House this gen.

I did this recently: bred 5 Duskulls for the purpose of getting a Duskull with Frisk, only to find out that Frisk is the Dusknoir family's hidden ability.

Considering that I was breeding a Dusclops with Pressure with a Ditto, I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere.

Fortunately, I DO have a female Dusclops with Frisk, and she's been hitting on my male Dusclops ever since. But I've yet to get a female Duskull with Frisk, which I can then breed with a Spiritomb with Memento, and nearly half a boxful of Duskulls to show for it.

Given my snafu though, I suppose that I deserve it though, eh? For those of you who want a fresh hatched Duskull: feel free to ask for one. If not, I'll just do what always do with by unwanted hatchlings: Wonder Trade them. It is probably better than just releasing them, and someone will probably get a kick out of them (especially those who don't speak English!).

In ORAS I encountered a Shiny Terrakion, but was unable to catch it because I didn't have enough ultra balls nor a status inducer ;_;

Reactions: JES

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^That's just being lucky with the RNG, I guess. No reason why Nest Balls should be any more effective on Groudon or Terrakion than, say, Ultra Balls or Dusk Balls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)