Doubles Mamoswine

Approved by Lolk

Overview
########

Mamoswine has great neutral coverage with just its two STAB moves, as they are only resisted by a few Pokemon, such as the Rotom formes. Its STAB moves also net super effective coverage against many Pokemon in the metagame. Mamoswine's base 130 Attack stat is nothing to mess around with and its great ability Thick Fat helps it take super effective Fire-type hits better. Mamoswine can deal with many common threats in the metagame, such as Garchomp, Heatran, Shaymin-S, and Landorus-T. Thanks to its Ice / Ground typing, it is a great solution to most Electric-types such as Thundurus and Zapdos; however, Mamoswine loses to Rotom-W and Rotom-H. If Mamoswine can't hit an opponent for super effective damage there's a very high chance that it will be KOed because Mamoswine has low Special Defense and Defense stats. Mamoswine has mediocre Speed and weaknesses to common types such as Fighting, Grass, and Water. Intimidate and burns give it some problems as well.

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Ice Shard
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Icicle Crash / Superpower / Icicle Spear
move 4: Protect
ability: Thick Fat
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves
========

Ice Shard is used because Mamoswine has mediocre Speed; it does around 70% to 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T, which is pretty decent, and allows Mamoswine to pick off most weakened threats. It also makes Mamoswine a reliable check to Skymin, but it can't switch into it. Earthquake is a powerful STAB spread movethat provides almost perfect coverage with an Ice-type move. Even though it is less accurate, Icicle Crash is more powerful than Icicle Spear usually, being more reliable with an added 30% flinch chance, making Mamoswine a reliable answer to Amoonguss. Protect disrupts offensive strategies and helps to stall out Trick Room, sun, and rain turns. Superpower can be used over Icicle Crash to hit Ferrothorn, Mega Kanghaskan, Scrafty, and Rotom formes for a decent amount of damage if you're willing to give up a strong Ice-type STAB move and have just Ice Shard.

Set Details
========

The EVs are simple: 252 in Attack with an Adamant nature for immediate power, while 252 in Speed are used to Speed tie with Chandelure and to outspeed Adamant Bisharp and Breloom. Life Orb can be used for immediate power at the cost of survivability. Jolly can be used over Adamant to reliably outspeed Breelom and Bisharp, while Life Orb allows Mamoswine to OHKO Garchomp and Salamence and 2HKO MegaManectric at -1 Attack with Earthquake + Ice Shard. Mamoswine has mediocre bulk, so a Focus Sash helps a lot versus Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO it, such as Terrakion.

Usage Tips
========

Beware of random coverage moves such as Landorus-T's Superpower. Don't switch Mamoswine in on most attacks because of its frailer defenses; for example, versus Landorus-T, Mamoswine can take a Rock Slide and KO with Ice Shard, but should avoid taking multiple Earthquakes. Mamoswine benefits from Speed control and redirectors, especially with the Life Orb, as without Focus Sash, it is easily OHKOed if outsped. Mamoswine doesn't mind eating up some spread-reduced moves or non-super effective attacks; it can take a Heat Wave in the sun. Rock Slide works great on the Focus Sash set as a last resort answer to Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, and Volcarona. The Life Orb set needs much more support, such as Speed control and redirectors, to be as effective. Focus Sash makes Mamoswine a great late-game cleaner and allows it to be a reliable answer to threats that manage to set up against its team.

Team Options
========

Mega Charizard Y is a great partner, as it is immune to Earthquake, can KO most of Mamoswine's checks such as Landorus-T and Heatran, and removes Mamoswine's Water-type weakness. Mamoswine hates bulky Water-types, so anything that can take those down is a good partner; some examples are Shaymin-S and Thundurus, which are both immune to Earthquake as well. Aegislash can use Wide Guard to protect itself from Mamoswine's Earthquake, KO Terrakion, heavily dent Cresselia and Rotom-W, and deal with Fairies and Trick Room. Amoonguss resists all of Mamoswine's weaknesses except for Ice and Fire, therefore it can redirect most hits to itself and also put foes to sleep. While Togekiss can also redirect attacks, it doesn't resist many types, but can set up Tailwind and allow Mamoswine to spam Earthquake; the choice depends on what you need more. Hitmontop can spam Wide Guard and protect Mamoswine from Heat Wave and Rock Slide and use Fake Out and Helping Hand. Mamoswine loves all kinds of Speed control, such as Thunder Wave from Thundurus or Tailwind from Talonflame. It also appreciates a partner that can use Fake Outto stun a faster opposing Pokemon and allow Mamoswine to take it out. Due to Mamoswine's low Speed, it won't be able to outspeed andKO manyPokemon, so it appreciates a fast offensive partner such as Talonflame, Latios, and Deoxys-A to do that for it.

Other Options
########

Choice Scarf is another nice option on Mamoswine, butit is outclassed by other Choice Scarf users such as Landorus-Tand Excadrill. Knock Off can be used instead of Superpower, as it gives Mamoswine an edge against opposing Mamoswine and removes opposing items; this is especially useful against a Pokemon holding a Choice item or an Assault Vest.Stone Edge can be considered over Rock Slide for more power, but Rock Slide is generally the best option, as it is a spread move, has a good 30% flinch chance, and is more accurate. Assault Vest can also be considered, as it allowsMamoswine to withstand powerful attackssuch as Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave while also having more coverage than the All-Out Attacker set by having both Rock Slide and Superpower.

Checks & Counters
########

**Utility Moves**: Hitmontop and Aegislash don't mind taking any attacks from Mamoswine and can spam Wide Guard to stop Earthquake and OHKO Mamoswine with their STAB moves. Fake Out can cripple Mamoswine's Focus Sash set by breaking its Focus Sash, thus not allowing Mamoswine to safey KO Pokemon that outspeed it.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Hitmontop and Scrafty can come in on any move, lower Mamoswine's Attack with Intimidate, and deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Rotom-H can come in on any move and burn Mamoswine, making it offensively useless.

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Bulky Water-types such as Suicune, Azumarill, and Rotom-W can come in on any move and deal tons of damage with their Water-type STAB moves. Fighting-types such as Breelom, Terrakion, Conkeldurr, and others can deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Levitate users and Flying-types that don't mind Ice-type attacks, such as Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y, are great checks to Mamoswine. Almost all Pokemon that can outspeed or tank a hit from Mamoswine make for a good check, such as Scizor with Bullet Punch or Keldeo with its STAB moves.

**Speed Control**: Mamoswine's Choice Scarf set is ruined by Trick Room and Tailwind, as it relies on Speed to KO Pokemon. Watch out for common Trick Room users such as Cresselia, Aromatisse, and the rare Bronzong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Differences between Crash and Spear:
Spear better for Focus Sash mons like Breloom (for which you need Jolly). Crash better for mons with Sitrus, like Amoonguss.

Imo speed should be bumped up to outrun max speed Heatran, not that it's the most common set. Max to tie Chandelure and Venusaur isn't the worst idea either. I'm not sure what those 80 HP EVs are helping with that much, if running LO, and especially not if running Sash.

Scarf seems weird. I'm not sure why I would use it over Scarf Landorus-T or Scarf Excadrill. I know the answer is Ice STAB but I'm not sure that's really enough.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As per requested, QC review. There's a lot that needs to be changed.

Overview
-move those 4 HP EVs to Def. 4 HP places you at 360 HP, which means more damage from burn, stealth rock etc
-"good coverage" at the start is a bit vague; Mamoswine has almost perfect neutral coverage with just its STAB moves. You could also add "as well as super-effective coverage" to save yourself from mentioning it later
-It is false that it is only resisted by some Rotom forms; Bronzong too. I'll just say with very few resists
-Seems counterproductive to mention 110 HP at the start, because in reality it's misleading as he gets taken down easily
-The line about beating electric-types is unnecessary. You could just add to the line before that "thanks to its typing" at the start. In reality electric-type is misleading as Mamoswine loses to the most common Electric-type, Rotom.

All-out attacker set
-The main reason Ice Shard (and most priority) is used is for the benefit of prioriyt move - picking off weakened threats, and OHKOing Pokemon like Skymin, Lando-T etc, not so much to compensate for Mamoswine's speed; I'd swap the order in which you mention them. I find it's better to mention the more important stuff about something first rather than later
-Icicle Crash is more powerful than Spear on average (76.5 vs 75 net base damage). I think you got Crash and Spear swapped around
-Icicle Spear isn't just more helpful against Sash users, it is also more accurate
-Similarly as Ice Shard, with Superpower, mention that with Superpower, you hit some notable Pokemon harder such as Ferrothorn etc before "you have to give up a hard-hitting Ice-type attack first)

Set details
-you've mentioned Jolly outspeeding stuff twice
-place the stuff about Life Orb together, not separate by Sash and Jolly

Usage tips
-it kinda seems like that your usage tips is all about the little details e.g. avoid these attacks, can take some hits, speed support good. It doesn't really tackle the focal point of "how do you use Mamoswine"
-Mamoswine benefits from speed control and redirectors regardless of item, but esepcially with the Life Orb, as without Focus Sash, he is prone to being OHKOed

Team options
-Also mention what Charizard Y does for mamoswine e.g. removes water-type weakness, immune to EQ, anything else you can think of
-Need to mention why Aegislash's using Wide Guard is good for Mamoswine (is it to protect it from spread moves, Mamoswine's own EQ or both?)
-similarly, just a brief bit more to expand as to why Hitmontop's Fake Out and Helping hand is helpful (you've mentioned Fake Out later for some reason...)
-faster Pokemon pair well with Mamoswine, but err not priority as much. You can't usually rely on two priority attacks. Just remove priority in the 2nd to last line; the examples are all good

OO
-Remove the Scarf mention with Knock Off, as Knock Off is also OO material on the main set. I have no idea how it gives Mamoswine an edge against choice and AV user. Please mention how Knock Off is helpful
-if you're going to mention the fault of Stone Edge, should also mention why you would consider it in the first place
-Remove SR. It's not used at high level play

Checks and Counters
-Remove SR again
-Fake Out is common, not uncommon
-with Breloom, must mention that it is weak to Mamoswine's Ice-STAB and is outsped by Jolly Mamoswine
-mention Bronzon

General tips about the analysis as a whole. Yeah it's not GP stage yet, but I can imagine the GP team would be making a lot of changes with this. In terms of "written up," it's not satisfactory
-Can be made more concise without losing information
-Needs to be improved in terms of grammar.
-Abbreviations like "mon" and "w/e" aren't accepted
-you use language at times that isn't appropriate for an analysis, like "killing Pokemon" (you OHKO Pokemon) and "buttloads"

As per requested, QC review. There's a lot that needs to be changed.

Overview
-move those 4 HP EVs to Def. 4 HP places you at 360 HP, which means more damage from burn, stealth rock etc
-"good coverage" at the start is a bit vague; Mamoswine has almost perfect neutral coverage with just its STAB moves. You could also add "as well as super-effective coverage" to save yourself from mentioning it later
-It is false that it is only resisted by some Rotom forms; Bronzong too. I'll just say with very few resists
-Seems counterproductive to mention 110 HP at the start, because in reality it's misleading as he gets taken down easily
-The line about beating electric-types is unnecessary. You could just add to the line before that "thanks to its typing" at the start. In reality electric-type is misleading as Mamoswine loses to the most common Electric-type, Rotom.

All-out attacker set
-The main reason Ice Shard (and most priority) is used is for the benefit of prioriyt move - picking off weakened threats, and OHKOing Pokemon like Skymin, Lando-T etc, not so much to compensate for Mamoswine's speed; I'd swap the order in which you mention them. I find it's better to mention the more important stuff about something first rather than later
-Icicle Crash is more powerful than Spear on average (76.5 vs 75 net base damage). I think you got Crash and Spear swapped around
-Icicle Spear isn't just more helpful against Sash users, it is also more accurate
-Similarly as Ice Shard, with Superpower, mention that with Superpower, you hit some notable Pokemon harder such as Ferrothorn etc before "you have to give up a hard-hitting Ice-type attack first)

Set details
-you've mentioned Jolly outspeeding stuff twice
-place the stuff about Life Orb together, not separate by Sash and Jolly

Usage tips
-it kinda seems like that your usage tips is all about the little details e.g. avoid these attacks, can take some hits, speed support good. It doesn't really tackle the focal point of "how do you use Mamoswine"
-Mamoswine benefits from speed control and redirectors regardless of item, but esepcially with the Life Orb, as without Focus Sash, he is prone to being OHKOed

Team options
-Also mention what Charizard Y does for mamoswine e.g. removes water-type weakness, immune to EQ, anything else you can think of
-Need to mention why Aegislash's using Wide Guard is good for Mamoswine (is it to protect it from spread moves, Mamoswine's own EQ or both?)
-similarly, just a brief bit more to expand as to why Hitmontop's Fake Out and Helping hand is helpful (you've mentioned Fake Out later for some reason...)
-faster Pokemon pair well with Mamoswine, but err not priority as much. You can't usually rely on two priority attacks. Just remove priority in the 2nd to last line; the examples are all good

OO
-Remove the Scarf mention with Knock Off, as Knock Off is also OO material on the main set. I have no idea how it gives Mamoswine an edge against choice and AV user. Please mention how Knock Off is helpful
-if you're going to mention the fault of Stone Edge, should also mention why you would consider it in the first place
-Remove SR. It's not used at high level play

Checks and Counters
-Remove SR again
-Fake Out is common, not uncommon
-with Breloom, must mention that it is weak to Mamoswine's Ice-STAB and is outsped by Jolly Mamoswine
-mention Bronzon

General tips about the analysis as a whole. Yeah it's not GP stage yet, but I can imagine the GP team would be making a lot of changes with this. In terms of "written up," it's not satisfactory
-Can be made more concise without losing information
-Needs to be improved in terms of grammar.
-Abbreviations like "mon" and "w/e" aren't accepted
-you use language at times that isn't appropriate for an analysis, like "killing Pokemon" (you OHKO Pokemon) and "buttloads"
Implemented, thank you.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
May as well mention imperfect HP IVs to lower LO recoil by a point.

Enki you don't need to start each sentence on a new line either. Just make them paragraphs.

also darkmalice zaaaaaaaaaamn

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This below paragraph is a bit of a cluster fuck. I've written an edited version below

Mamoswine can deal with buttloads of common threats in the meta, such as Thundurus, Garchomp, Heatran, Shaymin-S and Lando-T. Thanks to his type it is a great solution vs electric type like Thundurus and Manectric (But beware that you don't kill Manectric with -1 EQ + Ice Shard (Unless LO) and he can Overheat you). In reality electric-type is misleading as Mamoswine loses to the most common Electric-type, Rotom.
Mamoswine can deal with many common threats in the meta, such as Thundurus, Garchomp, Heatran, Shaymin-S and Lando-T. Thanks to his type it is a great solution vs most electric type like Thundurus and Zapdos Manectric (But beware that you don't kill Manectric with -1 EQ + Ice Shard (Unless LO) and he can Overheat you). In reality electric-type is misleading as, however, Mamoswine loses to the most common Electric-type, Rotom-W and Rotom-H.
Reasoning
-I feel it's not worth going over Manetric in that much detail as it's not that common anyways. I just replaced it with Zapdos instead
-changed the Electric-type wording; don't say it's good against them and then take it back the next line. Rather, it is good against most, but not good against the Rotom-forms (I've only mentioned the relevant ones)
-if we're going to be talking about electric-types, may as well mention Thundurus later
-buttloads is slang and not accepted in Ssmogon write-ups

If Mamoswine can't hit a mon for super-effective damage there's a very high chance that he'll get boned.
Even if mamoswine got great hp,its defense sare very weak,being an ice type also does not help him, defensively, and mediocre speed.
Swap the order of those two sentences around

Icicle Crash is more powerful than Spear, but it is more reliable and has a nice flinch chance, makes Mamoswine a more reliable answer to Amoonguss and on average it does more damage than Spear, but it is less accurate thank Spear.
You are repeating yourself in the same line. You don't need to mention that it is more powerful twice.

Sash is for survivability, Mamoswine has mediocre bulk so a Sash helps a lot vs things that can outspeed and OHKO it, like Terrakion. Jolly can be used over Adamant to reliably outspeed Breelom and Bisharp, with Life Orb is really awesome because you always get the KO on chomp, 2HKO MegaManectric with -1 EQ + Ice Shard and Adamant OHKOes Mence 50% of the time.
Move the sentence about Jolly before the sentence about Sash.

You haven't addressed my earlier points about usage tips

-you have not explained in your Mamoswine Usage Tips how to adequately use it - please tell me how you use it offensively. Mamoswine is not just about what attacks it can take and how it fares against Landorus-T

And move the Rock Slide part in that paragraph to Set Details; that's where it belongs.

Team options
-add that Charizard Y is immune to Mamoswine's EQ
-
Aegislash can spam Wide Guard, kill Terrakion, heavily dent Cress and Rotom-W, deal with Fairies and Trick Room, but he doesn't allow Mamoswine to spam EQ as much.
-False. Wide Guard does not stop Mamoswine from spamming EQ. What it does is protect Aegislash from Mamoswine's own Earthquake.

OO. You missed two of my points
Knock Off
-can be used with or without Choice Scarf. Please do not say Knock Off can be used on the Scarf set, just say it can be used
-Remove the part of Knock Off helping against choice and AV user. Unless you can explain to me how it helps more than removing any other item
-please explain why Knock Off should be considered...

Stone Edge. Please mention that you would use it because of it's higher base power against a single target.

With checks and counters, you missed the following
-mention Bronzong. Even though it's rare, it's an excellent answer to Mamoswine
This has improved from my last check. I will give you a QC check Enki after you update this and I have a double check to see that it's written up correctly.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry this took so long Enki I had a malfunction midway through!

Overview
########

Mamoswine has great neutral coverage with just its two STABs moves, as they are only being resisted by a few Pokemon, (AC) such as the Rotom- (remove hyphen) formes. Its STABs moves also net super- (remove hyphen) effective coverage against many Pokemon in the metagame. Talking about stats, (RC) Mamoswine's base 130 Atk Attack stat is nothing to mess around and its with Mamoswine has a great Thick Fat ability helps him it take super effective hits better (Mamoswine can be either gender!) versus his weakness (Thick Fat). Mamoswine can deal with many common threats in the metagame, such as Garchomp, Heatran, Shaymin-S, (AC) and Landorus-T (please don't use abbreviations for anything in analysis, unless you are stating an IV or EV spread!). Thanks to his type its Ice / Ground typing, (AC) it is a great solution vs to most Electric-types (add hyphen) such as like Thundurus and Zapdos,; (comma -> semi) however, Mamoswine loses to Rotom-W and Rotom-H. If Mamoswine can't hit a Pokemon for super- (remove hyphen) effective damage, (AC) there's a very high chance that he'll get boned it will be KOed because Mamoswine has low Special Defense and Defense stats. (you don't need a new paragraph) However Mamoswine has low Defenses, and mediocre Speed. (remove period) added with common and weaknesses to common types such as in Fighting, Grass and Water type. Intimidate and burns also gives him it some problems. As such even if Mamoswine got great hp,its defense being very weak, and being an ice type also does not help him.

All-Out Attacker
########
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Ice Shard is used because Mamoswine has mediocre Speed,; (comma -> semi) at -1 it does around 70%~ to 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T, which is pretty decent and it is a nice priority. Because it can pick off most weakned weakened threats, that makes him it is a reliable check to Skymin, but it can't switch in into it. (no need for a new paragraph) Earthquake is a powerful STAB spread move, (RC) that provides almost perfect coverage with an Ice-type move obligatory on any Mamoswine sets. With an Ice move it gets almost perfect coverage. Even though it is less accurate, Icicle Crash is more powerful than Icicle Spear usually, being more reliable with an added 30% flinch chances, making Mamoswine a reliable answer against Amoonguss, though it should be mentioned that it is less accurate than Spear. Protect is there to disrupt offensive strategies, (RC) stall out Trick Room, (AC) sun, (AC) and rain turns Room/Sun/Rain or w/e and all that good stuff that Protect does. Superpower can be used over Icicle Crash to hit Ferrothorn, Mega Kanghaskan, Scrafty, and Rotom formes for a decent amount of damage if you're willing to give up a strong Ice-type STAB move and have just Ice Shard. It also hits Ferrothorn, Mega Kanga and Scrafty hard and the Rotom formes for decent neutral damage.

Set Details
========

The EVs are simple,: (comma -> colon) 252 Atk in Attack with an Adamant nature for immediate power, while 252 in Speed are used to Speed tie with Chandelure, (RC) and to outspeed Bisharp and Jolly outspeed Breloom too. Life Orb can be used for immediate power at the cost of survivability. Jolly can be used over Adamant to reliably outspeed Breelom and Bisharp (but you just said the EVs in Speed allow Mamoswine to do this anyway?), while with Life Orb is really awesome because you always get the allows Mamoswine to OHKO Garchomp and Salamence and on chomp, (RC) 2HKO Mega (add space) Manectric with at -1 Attack with Earthquake EQ + Ice Shard and Adamant OHKOes Mence 50% of the time. Sash is for survivability, Mamoswine has mediocre bulk, (AC) so a Focus Sash helps a lot vs things versus Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO it, like such as Terrakion.

Usage Tips
========

Beware of random coverage moves such as Landorus-T's Superpower. Don't switch Mamoswine in on most attacks because of its frailer defenses.; for example, versus (AC) (period -> semi) But Mamoswine is not Breloom frail, it can still take some hits and kill his attackers. (don't Breloom usually have moves that can OHKO Mamoswine?) A good example is vs Landorus-T, as he (Mamoswine) can take a Rock Slide and KO with Ice Shard. Mamoswine benefits from Speed control and redirectors regardless of item, but especially with the Life Orb, as without Focus Sash, he it is prone to being easily OHKOed. Mamoswine doesn't mind eating up some spread-reduced moves or non-super effective attacks.; (period -> semi) it (He can take a Heat Wave from Zard-Y Mega Charizard Y in SUN :O). (these sort of sentences don't belong in an analysis) the sun. (period) Rock Slide works great on the Focus Sash set as a last resort answer to Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, and Volcarona. The Life Orb set needs much more support, (AC) such as Speed control and redirectors, (AC) to be as effective. Focus Sash makes Mamoswine a great late-game cleaner and allows it to be a reliable answer to threats that manage to set up against its team.

Team Options
========

Charizard-Y Mega Charizard Y is a great partner, as it is immune to EQ of Mamoswine Earthquake, can kill KO most of its Mamoswine's checks, (RC) like such as Landorus-T and Heatran, and removes Mamoswine's Water-type (add hyphen) weakness. Mamoswine hates bulky Water-types, so anything that can take those down is a good partner, some examples are Shaymin-S and Thundurus, which are both allow you to spam EQ too immune to Earthquake as well. Aegislash can use Wide Guard to protect Aegislash from Mamoswine's Earthquake, kill KO Terrakion, heavily dent Cresselia and Rotom-W, and deal with Fairies and Trick Room, and wide guard also protects Aegislash from Mamoswine's Earthquake. Amoonguss resists all of Mamoswine's weaknesses except for Ice and Fire, therefore he it can redirect most hits to himself itself and also put stuff foes to sleep. While Togekiss can also redirect attacks, it doesn't resist so many things types, (AC) but it can setup Tailwind and allows Mamoswine to spam EQ Earthquake,; (comma -> semi) the choice depends on what you need more. Hitmontop can spam Wide Guard and protect Mamoswine from Heat Wave's and Rock Slides and use Fake Out and Helping Hand. Mamoswine loves all kinds of Speed control, such as Thunder Wave TWave from Thundurus or Tailwind from Talonflame, doesn't matter, Mamoswine loves it. It also appreciates a partner that can use Fake Out, (RC) to stun a faster opposing Pokemon and allow Mamoswine to take it out to take down a slower opponent. Due to Mamoswine's low Speed, he it won't be able to outspeed and kill KO many things Pokemon, so it appreciates a fast an offensive partner that's either very fast. (remove period) such as Talonflame, Latios, (AC) and Deoxys-A are all good examples.

Other Options
########

Choice Scarf is another nice option on Mamoswine, but there are better scarfers like it is outclassed by other Choice Scarf users such as Landorus-T or and Excadrill. Knock Off can be used, (RC) instead of Superpower, as it gives Mamoswine an edge to against opposing Mamoswine, (RC) and removes allowing the removal of opposing items,; (comma -> semi) this is especially useful against a Pokemon holding a Choice item or an Assault Vest user. (you don't need a new paragraph) Stone Edge can be considered over Rock Slide for more power, but Rock Slide is generally the best option, as it is being a spread move, has with a good 30% flinch chance, also, rock slide and has more accuracy than stone edge, though stone edge has massive power against a single target, then again you should get immediate power with icicle crash and earthquake mos of the times anyways. Assault Vest can also be considered, since as it allows a thick fat assault vest Mamoswine has enough bulk to withstand even powerful attacks like charizardy's heat wave such as Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave while also having more coverage than the All Out Attacker set by having both Rock Slide and Superpower in rock slide and superpower.

Checks & Counters
########

**Utility Moves**: Hitmontop and Aegislash don't mind taking any attacks from Mamoswine and can spam Wide Guard to stop EQ, (AC) Earthquake not really care about any other attack and OHKO Mamoswine with their STABs moves. Fake Out can cripple Mamoswine's Focus Sash set by removing breaking its Focus Sash, (AC) thus not allowing Mamoswine to safey kill things KO Pokemon that outspeed him it.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Hitmontop and Scrafty can come in on any move, (AC) lower Mamoswine's Attack with Intimidate, (AC) and deal heavy damage with their STABs moves, (RC) not only that but give Mamoswine an attack drop. Rotom-H can come in on everything any move and burn Mamoswine, making him it offensively useless.

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Bulky waters like Water-types such as Suicune and Rotom-W can come in on any moves and deal tons of damage with their Water-type STABs moves. Fighting-types (add hyphen) such as Breelom, Terrakion, Conkeldurr, (AC) and others can deal heavy damage with their STABs moves. Levitaters Levitate users and flying types Flying-types that don't mind Ice-type attacks, (AC) such as Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y, (AC) are great checks to Mamoswine, (RC) like Talonflame and Charizard-Y. Almost all Pokemon that can outspeed or tank a hit from Mamoswine make for a good check, like such as Scizor with Bullet Punch or Keldeo with his its STABs moves.

**Priority Moves** Mamoswine gets threatened by by buttloads of priority users. Azumarill can threaten it Mamoswine with Aqua Jet, Scizor has access to Bullet Punch, and Breloom and Conkeldurr have access to Mach Punch,. (comma -> period) However, (AC) Breloom is weak to Mamoswine's Ice-type (add space) STAB moves and is outsped by Jolly Mamoswine all of which either OHKO or 2HKO Mamoswine, without he being able to do the same.

**Speed Control**: Mamoswine's Choice Scarf set is ruined by Trick Room and Tailwind, as it relies on Speed to kill things KO Pokemon. So Watch out for common Trick Room users like such as Cresselia, (AC) and Aromatisse., (period -> comma) and the rare Bronzong is rare, but it's an excellent answer to Mamoswine.

1/2

So, this took a lot longer than it could have because a lot of the errors could have been fixed if you proofread your analysis; for example, there were several instances where things weren't capitalized and words were misspelled. :) The job of the GPer is to check for grammatical errors and improve prose when necessary; we're not supposed to be the first one to read the final written-up product - you are! A lot of these things you definitely could have fixed, especially because, when editing, there are little red lines underneath misspelled words. Thanks!

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ADD
REMOVE
Capitalization
(COMMENTS)

Overview
########

Mamoswine has great neutral coverage with just its two STAB(+Space)moves, as they are only resisted by a few Pokemon, such as the Rotom(+Space)formes. Its STAB(+Space)moves also net super effective coverage against many Pokemon in the metagame. Mamoswine's base 130(+Space)Attack stat is nothing to mess around with and its great ability, Thick Fat,(AC) ability helps(+Space)it take super effective Fire-type hits better. Mamoswine can deal with many common threats in the metagame, such as Garchomp, Heatran, Shaymin-S, and Landorus-T. Thanks to(+Space)its Ice / Ground typing, it is a great solution to most Electric-types such as Thundurus and Zapdos; however, Mamoswine loses to Rotom-W and Rotom-H. If Mamoswine can't hit an opponent Pokemon for super(+Space)effective damage there's a very high chance that it will be KOed because Mamoswine has low Special Defense and Defense stats.(+Space)Mamoswine also has(+Space)mediocre Speed(+Space)and weaknesses to common types such as Fighting, Grass,(AC) and Water. Intimidate and burns give(+Space)it some problems as well.

All-Out Attacker
########
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Ice Shard is used because Mamoswine has mediocre Speed; it does around 70% to 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T, which is pretty decent, and allows Mamoswine to . Because it can pick off most weakened threats.(+Per), it is It also makes Mamoswine a reliable check to Skymin, but it can't switch in into it. Earthquake is a powerful STAB spread move(+Space)that provides almost perfect coverage with an Ice-type move.(+Per) Even though it is less accurate, Icicle Crash is more powerful than Icicle Spear usually, being more reliable with an added 30% flinch chance, making Mamoswine a reliable answer against to Amoonguss. Protect is there to disrupts offensive strategies and helps to stall out Trick Room, sun, and rain turns. Superpower can be used over Icicle Crash to hit Ferrothorn, Mega Kanghaskan, Scrafty, and Rotom formes for a decent amount of damage if you're willing to give up a strong Ice-type STAB move and have just Ice Shard.

Set Details
========

The EVs are simple: 252 in Attack with an Adamant nature for immediate power, while 252 in Speed are used to Speed tie with Chandelure(+Space)and to outspeed Adamant Bisharp and Jolly Breloom. (It doesn't outspeed 252+ without + nature) Life Orb can be used for immediate power at the cost of survivability. Jolly can be used over Adamant to reliably outspeed Breelom and Bisharp, while Life Orb(+Space)allows Mamoswine to OHKO Garchomp and Salamence and 2HKO Mega(+Space)Manectric at -1 Attack with Earthquake + Ice Shard. Mamoswine has mediocre bulk, so a Focus Sash helps a lot versus Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO it, such as Terrakion.

Usage Tips
========

Beware of random coverage moves such as Landorus-T's Superpower. Don't switch Mamoswine in on most attacks because of its frailer defenses.(-Per); for example, versus Landorus-T, Mamoswine can take a Rock Slide and KO with Ice Shard, but should avoid taking multiple Earthquakes. Mamoswine benefits from Speed control and redirectors regardless of item, but especially with the Life Orb, as without Focus Sash,(+Space)it is(+Space)easily OHKOed if outsped. Mamoswine doesn't mind eating up some spread-reduced moves or non-super effective attacks; it(+Space)can take a Heat Wave from in the sun. (Barely though lol, and especially not very well from Zard Y but w/e) Rock Slide works great on the Focus Sash set as a last resort answer to Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame, and Volcarona. The Life Orb set needs much more support, such as Speed control and redirectors, to be as effective. Focus Sash makes Mamoswine a great late-game cleaner and allows it to be a reliable answer to threats that manage to set up against its team.

Team Options
========

Mega Charizard Y is a great partner, as it is immune to Earthquake, can KO most of Mamoswine's checks such as Landorus-T and Heatran, and removes Mamoswine's Water-type weakness. Mamoswine hates bulky Water-types, so anything that can take those down is a good partner,(RC);(+Semi) some examples are Shaymin-S and Thundurus, which are both(+Space)immune to Earthquake as well. Aegislash can use Wide Guard to protect Aegislash itself from Mamoswine's Earthquake, KO Terrakion, heavily dent Cresselia and Rotom-W, and deal with Fairies and Trick Room. Amoonguss resists all of Mamoswine's weaknesses except for Ice and Fire, therefore(+Space)it can redirect most hits to(+Space)itself and also put(+Space)foes to sleep. While Togekiss can also redirect attacks, it doesn't resist many types, but it can set(+Space)up Tailwind and allows Mamoswine to spam Earthquake; the choice depends on what you need more. Hitmontop can spam Wide Guard and protect Mamoswine from Heat Wave and Rock Slide and use Fake Out and Helping Hand. Mamoswine loves all kinds of Speed control, such as Thunder Wave from Thundurus or Tailwind from Talonflame. It also appreciates a partner that can use Fake Out(+Space)to stun a faster opposing Pokemon and allow Mamoswine to take it out. Due to Mamoswine's low Speed,(+Space)it won't be able to outspeed and(+Space)KO many(+Space)Pokemon, so it appreciates a fast offensive partner(+Space)such as Talonflame, Latios, and Deoxys-A to do that for it.

Other Options
########
Choice Scarf is another nice option on Mamoswine, but(+Space)it is outclassed by other Choice Scarf users such as Landorus-T(+Space)and Excadrill. Knock Off can be used instead of Superpower, as it gives Mamoswine an edge(+Space)against opposing Mamoswine and removes opposing items; this is especially useful against a Pokemon holding a Choice item or an Assault Vest.(+Space)Stone Edge can be considered over Rock Slide for more power, but Rock Slide is generally the best option, as it is a spread move, has a good 30% flinch chance, and is more accurate has more accuracy. Assault Vest can also be considered, as it allows(+Space)Mamoswine to withstand powerful attacks(+Space)such as Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave while also having more coverage than the All-(+Hyph)Out Attacker set by having both Rock Slide and Superpower.

Checks & Counters
########
(Note: unbold all of these tabs. Tabs shouldn't be bolded)
**Utility Moves**:
Hitmontop and Aegislash don't mind taking any attacks from Mamoswine and can spam Wide Guard to stop Earthquake and OHKO Mamoswine with their STAB moves. Fake Out can cripple Mamoswine's Focus Sash set by breaking its Focus Sash, thus not allowing Mamoswine to safey KO Pokemon that outspeed it.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Hitmontop and Scrafty can come in on any move, lower Mamoswine's Attack with Intimidate, and deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Rotom-H can come in on any move and burn Mamoswine, making it offensively useless.

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Bulky Water-types such as Suicune and Rotom-W can come in on any move and deal tons of damage with their Water-type STAB moves. Fighting-types such as Breelom, Terrakion, Conkeldurr, and others can deal heavy damage with their STAB moves as well. Levitate users and Flying-types that don't mind Ice-type attacks, such as Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y, are great checks to Mamoswine. Almost all Pokemon that can outspeed or tank a hit from Mamoswine make for a good check, such as Scizor with Bullet Punch or Keldeo with its STAB moves.

**Priority Moves**: Azumarill can threaten Mamoswine with Aqua Jet, Scizor has access to Bullet Punch, and Breloom and Conkeldurr have access to Mach Punch. However, Breloom is weak to Mamoswine's Ice-type STAB moves and is outsped by Jolly Mamoswine.

**Speed Control**: Mamoswine's Choice Scarf set is ruined by Trick Room and Tailwind, as it relies on Speed to KO Pokemon. Watch out for common Trick Room users such as Cresselia, Aromatisse, and the rare Bronzong.

GP 2/2

Be careful about the random deleted spaces; I should have gotten all of them but there were quite a few so while you do the edits just keep an eye out for any stray ones that I missed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)