Mega Face

Mega Face: Mega Glalie Attacks!
~A RU RMT
Introduction:
I am WeatherOfChoice, I've been playing since the DPPt era on Shoddy and a long time lurker. I have experienced bouts of laddering and team building success (and failure) during my time across multiple tiers. I came up with this name during BW when weather was king in OU, as a reaction that's why I stopped playing OU.

Recently I couldn't create a team that I liked or had synergy and after reading through the RU thread the idea of spikes stacking offence appealed to me. However instead of Accelgor I thought Mega Glalie and the rest of the team flowed from there. As of posting I am sitting at around 1400 on the ladder (1391 but who's counting?) because of this team. Also first RMT :D
Team:

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpA / 204 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry

Why use Mega-Glalie?
I'm glad you asked. Mega Glalie is used as an offensive spiker to soften the opponents team and facilitate a Sharpedo sweep, often times using the threat of spikes to weaken switch-ins and create new opportunities to set up my spikes (or blow up the enemy team). Although mono-ice coverage is poor it is enough to deter common defoggers / rapid spinners from switching in because of their ice weakness. Freeze Dry is especially useful as it can catch Water-types (usually Alomomola) and deal significant damage.

How do I use Mega-Glalie?
Most games Glalie is my lead and is used to get up an early layer (or two) of spikes and bait easy switch-ins for Dragalge or Cobalion to get rocks up or destroy the opposition. Spikes are also useful to force switch-ins by the opponent to their form of hazard control allowing for easy opportunities for Sharpedo to switch-in. In most situations Glalie is able to control the opponent with his offensive pressure of spike-stacking allowing my big(ger) guns to take control.

Cons of the Mega Face:

• It takes up a mega slot
    • Steel type leads are a cold stop ~ delays spikes
    • Ice is horrid defensive type ~ opportunities to switch in are limited
    • Weakness to stealth rocks without rapid spin support makes mid-game spikes a challenge
    • Not opposed to swapping Glalie for Accelgor, however, I do lose a lot of damage

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power Fire / Focus Blast

Why use Dragagle?
Easy question. The combination of Adaptability, strong STAB moves and Choice Specs allow me to rip holes in the opponents team. Decimating even the bulkiest of opponents. Dragalge forces the competition to sac or have its walls softened for Sharpedo to munch up later in the game.

How do I use Dragalge?
To create difficult situations for my opponent as a result of Dragagle's offensive presence and natural bulk. Switching-in on resisted hits from the opponents walls, like Alomomola or Amoongus (post sleep-clause activation), or choice locked sweepers and then taking them out of the game with Draco Meteor. The prediction game can become intense if they have a Fairy-Type but in most situations Sludge Wave tears through these walls similarly to Draco Meteor (with the assistance hazard damage).

Cons of the Dragon Cannon:

• Its slow...I guess

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Why use Tyrantrum?
Tyrantrum in tandem with Dragagle creates a duo dragon core which puts pressure upon the opponents walls / Steel types. It is also an offensive check to Mega Pidgeot and Moltres forcing switches under threat of a powerful Stone Edge.

How do I use Tyrantrum?
Admittedly poorly. On paper Tyrantrum seems to fit, however, it checks flying types by virtue of its typing without stats to back it up and steel types have an easier time switching in on Tyrantrum's STABs. In most situations Tyrantrum is sacrificed to weaken a threat like Doublade so Sharpedo can then follow up. Depending on the opposing composition Tyrantrum can be a stellar wall-breaker, however, it is not as consistent as Dragagle.

Cons of King Lizard:
  • Lack of speed and poor defensive typing disallows switch-in opportunities
  • Easily countered by steel types ~ gives easy switch ins for Doublade and Bronzong
  • Often left unused because Dragagle does the same thing better
  • Pangoro could probably do this better
  • Tyrantrum's slot could be used by a more defensive pokemon

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
Why use Eelektross?
Elektross acts as glue for the team and acts as a steel type check. It has significant utility in providing an extremely slow volt switch for Sharpedo or Dragagle to benefit from putting momentum in my favour, especially in a mirror matchup as my volt switch will go last most of the time. The lamprey functions as a reliable stop to Mega Pidgeot and Moltres because of assault vest. It's Electric typing and levitate also lets Eelektross serve as a check to ground and steel types.

How do I use Eelektross?
Eelektross was the last pokemon I had considered for the team and the choice has worked out well. It's utility facilitates team movement and eases predicts on my behalf, forcing the opponent to react to my momentum. It often gets the short end of the stick and is forced to deal with steel types like Cobalion and Doublade which are issues for the team and can be worn down quickly, however, Flamethrower ensures that Eelektross stings those threats.

Cons of the Eel:

• Thunderbolt is filler ~ knock off would probably be better
    • Lacks bulk considering the abuse it takes

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

Why use Cobalion?
Cobalion is a fast stealth rock setter that provides a plethora of useful resistances for my team. The utility it provides as a knock off sponge and fast volt switcher puts momentum in my favour by capitalising on the synergy between Eelektross and Dragagle as they can soak the fire/flying/ground moves aimed at the musketeer. It also has hazard protection in the form of taunt which stalls defog users.

How I use Cobalion?
I utilise Cobalion as an offensive pivot to set up stealth rocks and (toward the late game) tenderise steel types. Cobalion's set of resistances, natural bulk and speed are invaluable to a team like mine, which needs defensive support. It also functions as a (shaky)check to sharpedo.

Cons to the Musketeer?

• None really

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Crunch

Why use Sharpedo?
Sharpedo is a threat in the RU, mega or not. Speed boost turns the shark into a significant late game threat that easily cleans up if the opponents team is throughly tenderised. Not using mega sharpedo also means that if sharpedo is recalled (or forced out) it can come back and attempt to sweep again with speed boost intact. It has significant offensive synergy with Dragagle, being able to clean up after

How do I used Sharpedo?
The mixed set is extremely good at blowing through broken down walls after spike/SR/Dragagle damage. I tend to play recklessly with the 'pedo to give myself the advantage, sometimes this backfires and other times it saves me from the terrifying Slurpuff.

Cons to the Shark:

• Requires significant support (but most sweepers do)
    • Maybe different EV spread for more power or Naive > Hasty to resist priority better (?)
Team Weaknesses:

• Ground types ~ half my team is weak to it translating into Dugtrio being a real threat – can come in and clean up my dragons + cobalion
    • Hitmonlee can do a number on my team as I don't have a consistent fighting check/counter, however, I haven't seen it played well (or at all) against the team
    • Slurpuff can run through my team if Sharpedo doesn't have enough speed to outrun it, it easily OHKO's my team if it gets set up
    • Mega Sceptile can be an issue depending of the set (SD crushes my team), however, Sharpedo is the work around being able to outspeed it at +1 (i think)
    • Team lacks priority + scarfer ~ perhaps not necessary but faster teams can take advantage of my slow power houses

Thanks for reading!

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpA / 204 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Crunch

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi there, WeatherOfChoice!

This is a pretty cool RU team you've put together, and I have a few suggestions that should help it perform better in battle. The main issues I'm noticing are a weakness to a well-played Doublade and a sub-par means of dealing with Flying-type threats such as Moltres and Mega Pidgeot. Dugtrio can be a problem for this team as well after Eelektross has sustained enough damage, and I'll help out with that as well.

->

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 236 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn
- Dragon Tail

Your current means of checking Flying-types is held back by a ton of weaknesses without the bulk to alleviate them, and being locked into Choice Band Stone Edge to try and deal with them severely amplifies the team's vulnerability to Doublade and Dugtrio. As such, I recommend swapping out Tyrantrum for Rhyperior. Not only does it have the bulk to consistently tolerate damage from Fire- and Flying-type attacks, but it also deals enough damage without needing to lock itself into a move with Choice Band. It's true that Rhyperior is weak to Dugtrio's Earthquake just as Tyrantrum is, but its Solid Rock ability lets it take this attack rather nicely and retaliate back with an Earthquake OHKO of its own. It's also true that Rhyperior is weak to Doublade's Iron Head just as Tyrantrum is, but this Rhyperior set is designed to strike first with Earthquake for the 2HKO against it, which lets it avoid being knocked out or flinched by Iron Head. 12 Speed EVs are used here to outspeed standard Doublade even if it has 50 EVs of Speed creep. I know you considered adding Pangoro here instead, but that would only exacerbate the team's Flying weakness rather than patch it up.

Of course, Rhyperior has no recovery outside of Leftovers, so it will not be able to handle ALL of these threats on its own if the opposing team carries a lot of them, but Assault Vest Eelektross can help out against the same things to spread out the team's roles a bit better, so these threats are pretty well covered if you play correctly.

As you mentioned, you might consider running Knock Off over Thunderbolt on Eelektross for team support, and you might also consider running Dark Pulse over Crunch on Sharpedo and running Modest 252/252 for a nice OHKO against Doublade after Stealth Rock damage. This change would also be a nice surprise for Virizion switch-ins, which are 2HKOed by Ice Beam with this spread.

This concludes my rate! I hope you found my suggestions helpful and I wish you success with your team!

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, on my phone so this will be pretty brief, but the biggest weakness I can see is Mega Sceptile. It really puts a lot of pressure on Sharpedo to come I and check it everytime (subtile is even more dangerous). I'd recommend using Ice Shard over Explosion on Mega Glalie as it allows you to check it without giving it sub chances. You can't stop Hitmontop from using Rapid Spin anymore, but your team gives that plenty of options to spin already. Finally I think that Glalie should run 216 Spe EVs, as I think it needs that to outrun positive natured base 95s after mega evolving.

I also agree with Goddess Briyella about using Rhyperior over Tyrantrum (and the rest of her rate) but I'd use Roar > Dragon Tail as it can handle a +6 Slurpuff which can set up on your Dragalge if you use not Sludge Bomb (Sludge Bomb is better than wave for the poison chance). The given Rhyperior spread survives +6 Drain Punch after SR.

Hope I helped, your team actually looks really good, just needs some minor tweaks :).

Last edited:
Reactions: g
Hi
The first problem i see with your team to be honest is a massive weakness to offensive Cobalion. Substitute + Swords Dance and Stealth Rock + Swords Dance Cobalion are very popular sets who can just set up on stuff like -2 Dragalge, Tyrantrum, and Glalie and basically sweep your whole team. The only really switch i can think of is using Specially Defensive Stealth Rock Gligar over Eelektross. This change might look weird but you can't realy fit a check in any other of your slots without massively hampering your team synergy. With a set of Earthquake, Knock Off or Toxic, Stealth Rock, and Roost it becomes an additional check to Mega Pidgeot and Dragalge and a very much needed Fighting resistance so that you don't have to lose a Pokemon to Hitmonlee every time it comes in and something to handle (non Magnet Rise) Cobalion and troublesome Ground-types (both Toxic and Knock Off are great in this regard and wear them down incredibly easily with Earthquake damamge) as well as Doublade, a weakness Goddess Briyella already pointed out. Having Stealth Rock on that your Cobalion slot becomes a bit more flexible and i am suggesting you to use a Substitute (or Taunt if you are scared of Defog Gligar ) + Swords Dance variant over it. Having an additional win condition as well as a sudo-stallbreaker will certainly be appreciated for a team like yours. If you choose to make this change then you can probably keep Tyrantrum over Rhyperior (which i personally wouldn't do as it baits in Gligar to Defog waay too easily, especially if you run Toxic, and Spikes offense cannot afford that imo).
Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic / Knock Off

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute / Taunt
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)