Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Arena Trap Steelix: This one is pretty scary on paper, and would probably be just as scary in practice. Being abl. e to trap anything would be amazing, and with Curse + Rest, Steelix would very easily be able to set up on pretty much any physical attacker, as well as any defensive Pokemon not relying on Seismic Toss. Just one slip up, and you'll soon have a +6/+6 Mega Steelix ready to rip apart anything in its path on your hands. I'm almost scared to see this thing winning, as I'm typically wary of trapping Theorymons, but I don't think this would be too broken.

Normalize Regigigas: I'm mixed on this one. On one hand, you don't have to deal with Slow Start crippling your Attack and Speed, and you have access to a Normal-type Thunder Wave for crippling faster foes. On the other hand, having literally no coverage because of Normalize is pretty lame, and pretty much every Rock- and Steel-type can wall you. It's basically getting rid of one crippling ability and getting another crippling ability, but not as crippling. I dunno, I'm probably just biased, but I'm not really a fan of this one.

Tinted Lens Zygarde: I actually like this one. With Tinted Lens, it doesn't have to predict as often, as Steel-types no longer resist its Outrages and Extreme Speeds, thus making a sweep fairly easier to pull off. A Coil or Dragon Dance set would be pretty sweet with Tinted Lens, as not having much coverage isn't that much of an issue anymore. Not my favorite of the bunch, but I do like it.

Adaptability Galvantula: This one. I really like this one. Adaptability makes Galvantula a powerful attacker, and with Electric/Bug coverage being surprisingly good, it can actually be pretty easy to pull off a sweep. To put Adaptability Galvantula's power into perspective:

252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Galvantula Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 53.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 220-259 (54.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see, Galvantula's Thunderbolt, a no-cost attack, is only slightly weaker than Keldeo's Hydro Pump, a low accuracy move, so Galvantula certainly has power going for it. And while not powered up, it also has some coverage in Giga Drain to slip past most Ground-types and to gain health. I personally see a Choice Scarf set working out for it fairly well, as it could use Volt Switch very effectively to maintain offensive momentum while still hitting very hard, and could be a big threat to sweepers. A Life Orb set would also be effective, being able to bust through walls while still being a threat to some offensive Pokemon. Now I know that 108 Speed isn't as significant as it used to be, but that's what Sticky Web is there for, as you can slow down your competition and plow through offensive teams. Plus, you kill most things that have access to Defog, such as Skarmory, Latios, and Mandibuzz, so you can lay down Sticky Web and keep it. All in all, my favorite of the bunch, and definitely getting my vote.

Arena Trap Steelix- Trappers are too good, lemme just say that and giving Steelix this ability is a god sent. Steelix can come in and kill a defensive pokemon, like magnezone, revenge kill, like Duggy, or use them as set up bait, like Gothitelle. Someone mentioned setting up curses all over your opponent, then just using rest to continue setting up if you get weak. I find this so disgusting when Gothitelle does this cause you literally just sit there helplessly then get swept from there. Steelix is a bit more manageable however, for starters, using curse for your set up move, you increase that godly Defesnive stat, but your special defense is just meh, and being the slowest fucking thing around doesn't help. Basically, its revenge killed by any special attacker that hits fairly hard. Not saying it dies on the spot to charmanders ember like fortress, but keeping a strong special attacker around, like Keldeo or Zard-Y kinda limits when you get set up with him. Occupying your mega slot doesn't help it either. I probably won't vote for this seeing as there is some fierce competition in this slate, and my nature of hating trappers.

Normalize Regigigas-Lol we really need to stop trying to theory mon this guy. Any ability we give it has to make it suck cause its too god damn good with an actual ability. Normalize pretty much makes you walled by ghost types. Yea it can paralyze ground types and grass types, but Contrary serperior is getting some discussion and it has glare which does the same thing. I know these two would play completely differently, but if I'm considering using Regigigas for T-Wave support, ill pick Serperior over it every time.

Tinted Lens Zygarde- Honestly, as someone who played UU during Zygardes retesting, The DD sets were inferior to the subcoil sets. Ground already hits the steal and fairies that would make its dragon stabs difficult to use, not to mention it needs earthquake to get past fairies. If you run SubCoil, you already sacrifice 2 slots for Ziggy, leaving you with Earthquake, Outrage (dragon tail is used for this set so you aren't locked into outrage) and Extremespeed for priority. This guy still struggles with 4MSS, so I'm not a huge fan about that.

Adaptability Galvantula-This thing wouldve been a monster in X/Y because its speed tier was great back then, now in ORAS, its speed tier is a bit lack luster, while being quite frail so taking a hit isn't as easy. Bug and Electric STAB isn't the worst stab combination, but still gets walled fairly easily. This does let it set up sticky web easier, being able to threaten slower mons with Adaptability Thunderbolt (no more compound eyes means thunder is unreliable) and bug buzz. Pretty mixed about this one here.

I'll post again since it seems to be ignored: Pursuit trappers exist and Normalize Regigigas would lure Ghosts like nothing else. Natural Gift does NOT get affected by Normalize. It can run Sitrus+Natural Gift to OHKO Gengar, one of OU's two most prominent Ghost types. It can run Kee or Roseli to punish Sableye switches. It can also run Salac or Apicot to KO or deal heavy damage to Rock and Steel types. And finally, it could always just run Foresight to force ghosts out.

EDIT: Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
I am very much enjoying the idea of Regigigas getting off a very cheap ground-hitting T-wave + Substitute + Focus Punch combo. I think people should also be focusing on the former btw; an easy way to paralyze Ground-types and such.

How will Regi get past ghosts? By using a Custap gift? The calculator says it won't work, so I'm not sure if I should believe it. And even still, Mega Sableye makes you its BITCH.

252+ Atk Regigigas 100 Power Ghost/Dark Berry vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Sableye: 115-136 (37.8 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery.

I suppose this counteracts its obscene power, but Mega Sab don't give a fuck and gets one turn to do ANYTHING. You will be switching out, or you will get burnt.

With the gem goblin everywhere, it seems hard to just play around.

How will Regi get past ghosts? By using a Custap gift? The calculator says it won't work, so I'm not sure if I should believe it. And even still, Mega Sableye makes you its BITCH.

252+ Atk Regigigas 100 Power Ghost/Dark Berry vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Sableye: 115-136 (37.8 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery.

I suppose this counteracts its obscene power, but Mega Sab don't give a fuck and gets one turn to do ANYTHING. You will be switching out, or you will get burnt.

Thankly their is a plain for that in the name of Foresight!

Still, he has options, but how well they are utilized remains to be seen but he can get past his would be check with some work!

I don't think giving Regigigas normalize would make it any better, while normalize would allow it to use its gargantuan 160 base attack stat, it would also make it very easily walled by pretty much every Ghost, Steel or Rock type Pokemon.

252 Atk Normalize Regigigas Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 54-64 (16.1 - 19.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Normalize Regigigas Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 63-75 (17.8 - 21.3%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

Edit: While Normalize Regigigas works better as a Supportive Pokémon, it still woudn't be able to hit Ghost Types like Gengar or Sableye.

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Huh. The ability to Toxic steel walls is pretty clutch, possibly even more so than TWave on Grounds. While it doesn't help Gigas' problem with Ghosts, it does mean Skarm and Ferrothorn are way less problematic.

For ghosts, Pursuit Trap teammates. Sitrus Natural Gift can simply OHKO Gengar. Calcs to prove it:
252 Atk Sitrus Berry Regigigas Natural Gift (80 BP Psychic) vs. 28 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 308-364 (114.9 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Make sure to set Regigigas' ability to (other) or some useless ability besides Slow Start and Normalize if you want to do calcs for Natural Gift. The calculator incorrectly applies Normalize to Natural Gift and Slow Start's offense drop is taken into account, which throws off calcs.

For Sableye, its no different than any other pokemon Sableye doesn't care about. Switch to something that deals with Sableye.

For Steel and Rock types, you can either switch to a teammate or hit them hard with Salac or Apicot Natural Gift.

Or if you wanted to use the item for something besides coverage, such as Choice items or Life Orb, you can predict that the opponent will switch in their Regigigas counter in response to it. You could easily take advantage of this to set up favorable matchups for Regigigas' teammates.

One thing though: Unfortunately Toxic does not work on Steel types. They cannot be poisoned period.

Yeah, don't think you can go poisoning steels/poisons, paralyzing electrics or burning fire types. Paralyzing Ground-types and Mega Sceptile is the best part of the supportive options Normalize gives.

This is a perplexing slate to me. I'm still mulling things over, but another note is that a Bulky Attacker set on Regi looks pretty nasty to me. STAB Drain Punch, 110/110/110 bulk, and only a single weakness means that with lefties it will take a serious fighting STAB to bring this bad boy down - he can even tango with Conkeldurr with a high chance to 2HKO. And this set can run whatever it wants with those other slots (Sub, T-Wave, Confuse Ray, Power-Up Punch, Foresight, Rest-Talk, Rock Polish, Focus Punch, or even a harder hitting STAB like Quake or Return), which seems good. It is locked down by Ghosts, but it's got a lot of tricks up its sleeve nonetheless.

God this is annoying. Just like last slate, there's two really damn good choices that are hard to choose between, and two... eeeeh choices.

Of course for me it's coming down to Regilize and Traplix. Honestly I don't think we've had enough time because there's only been discussion on Regigigas for the most part, and even I've chipped in to say normalize T-wave.

But I think at the end of the day I'll go with Steelix for a couple reasons. First off... well, fuck, we all know giving Regigigas any other ability than Slow Start immediately makes it better and we've tried this before, even if this is a bit more interesting. Second off, the more I think about it, the more I don't like the idea of absolutely no coverage. I know we can get rid of all the ghosts and steels and such with other team-mates, but it makes it just so damn annoying when all you can do is spam normal moves.
But there's also the fact that Steelix is no longer completely outclassed at everything it does, and this is what's important to me. Sure it's a small niche that likely wouldn't get past B on the viability rankings, but it's a very good small niche that allows it to support it's team and we've never really had an Mega that traps before (Edit: That isn't stupidly broken to the extent of being Ubers S-rank), hence I think it would make the more interesting option than just taking away the one liability to an otherwise extremely powerful pokémon.

Arena Trap Mega Steelix

also i fucking love megalix's design and making it outclassed at everything was a crime against humanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)