Tyranitar [Revamp] [QC: 0/3]

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Why is Fire Punch the main slash on the DD set? I'd assume you'd only try sweeping with TTar once Ferro is removed, anyway. Crunch + SEdge + IPunch is so valuable, really, that I can't image the mains being anything but those. Crunch and SEdge just hit hard and IPunch is usually the only coverage late game you'll need. (Altho Superpower is probably good, too, but Fire Punch is overall mediocre.)

And I'm sure Crunch / SEdge check Ferro / Skarm respectively, too?

EDIT: Choice Band is neat. Can confirm it's greatness. But I'd simply slash it on Scarf and call it "Choiced" Tyranitar, or put Band in the OO mentioning, since the moves are identical on the sets. (OO seems best - you can even slap in alternative EV spread for it in there since you can run more bulk since the speed isn't as important.)

Also, haven't checked, but Scarf Tar should be: Crunch, Pursuit, Stone Edge, Superpower. Superpower and Pursuit are so important; traps are amazing right now, and Superpower can pick off so many threats it isn't even funny.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Crunch really isn't a necessity on Scarftar more than it is a luxury to hit a couple of intended targets such as Slowbro a bit better, which in that case would be better on Bandtar anyways.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i disagree with that, having crunch to hit mega metagross is really important and having a neutral/spammable stab in general is very useful. it's so unbelievably useful to have a safe move on scarftar because risking stone edges is ass, especially seeing as you actually want to revenge kill things reliably. crunch also does stuff like ensure you can prevent lati defogs if you really need to, it's a good move.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think Crunch should be slashed before Ice Punch for the reasons Jukain stated, plus it's better for Jirachi and Celebi and defense drops can let you BS your way past some checks.

I think Earthquake deserves a slash after Superpower and Fire Blast (or at the very least OO) on the last slot of Scarf to revenge Mega Diancie, always OHKO Heatran if it isn't Air Balloon, hit Charizard X without having to deal with Stone Edge misses, and smack Klefki switching in trying to T-Wave you/set up Screens. Mega Diancie is the most important one though.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IMO, the special attacker set (modest Dark Pulse, F-Blast, I-Beam, T-Bolt) should get a mention in OO on the basis that it can lure a few of T-Tar's common switch-ins, such as Suicune, Azumarill and Slowbro, and one shot/two shot them.

There is still no Choice Band set, which needs its own set, due to how well it performs in the current metagame:

########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Superpower
ability: Sand Stream
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
nature: Adamant / Jolly

If you need more information on this set, you are best off asking someone like AM or Jukain

Also, if Choice Scarf does not have any special attacks slashed, then deslash a Naive nature.

imo in scarf ice punch should be slashed with super. last slot is for picking ur weakness, i usually go by this:
- if im sharp/ferro/keld weak i go for sp
- if im lando/chomp weak i go for ip

in support u mention 64satk ib has a chance of ohkoing scor but since it almost always is gonna be sdef u have no chance:
64 SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 248-292 (70.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
also the ev spread seems a bit messy, cb nite eq is very random benchmark. never been a fan of def/sdef natures and that much def/sdef invest in sand ttar since it makes it weak af and not that neccesary anyways. since sand ttar spread is very customizable depending of moves and the team needs, i would give you few things to take into account:
- 104 satk ib ohkoes max hp landot after sr.
- adamant nature with atk investment helps a lot for not being weak as fuck. eg 2hko on regular slowbro with crunch, se guaranteed 3hko on tran, etc.
- speed evs can be good. 168 goes to 200, you can even go 220 but thats way too much imo.

also cb needs to be a set definitely, trades off all the utility scarf holds vs offensive threats, but is very threatening vs common bulky cores with mons like heatran/ferro/slowbro/rotom-w/scor etc.

hope i helped!

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As a QC team we've been talking about this analysis and have decided that it would be best to reassign it. Pretty much everything about the sets, from the movesets to the spreads, came from the help of the QC team and not the writer's (Valmanway) knowledge. There's also been an enormous delay in making the necessary changes; for instance, it has been a month and a half yet a CB set still has not been added. There is a major lack of detail and several redundancies that add basically no information. On top of all this, Tyranitar is an important Pokemon in the OU metagame and thus requires extra care. Your (Valmanway) attempted contributions are appreciated, and you are welcome to contribute in the future. However, this analysis simply is not up to par.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)