Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jirachi isn't exactly meant to be a lead, it's best used as a pivot into resisted hits from the likes of Latios / Latias and mega gardevoir, and it can also somewhat threaten ferrothorn with fire punch. Just felt like pointing that out :P
Yeah, I didn't mean as a lead, but rather as something that can come in and get up rocks for free at an opportune moment. Also, Fire Blast could be used over body slam/fire punch as it is guaranteed to 2hko ferrothorn, whereas fire punch misses out by about 12% after leftovers.
The nature could stay the same, as even at a minus nature, Fire Blast is still a guaranteed 2hko.

Yeah, I didn't mean as a lead, but rather as something that can come in and get up rocks for free at an opportune moment. Also, Fire Blast could be used over body slam/fire punch as it is guaranteed to 2hko ferrothorn, whereas fire punch misses out by about 12% after leftovers.
The nature could stay the same, as even at a minus nature, Fire Blast is still a guaranteed 2hko.
Thanks, you guys. Just got a jirachi from a kind user, and I'm going to use your suggestions.

Can someone explain to me why Mega Gardevoir is so highly rated on the viability thread? I mean yeah, it has an amazing 165 sp. attack, an awesome ability in pixiliate, which makes hyper voice hit like a truck, especially with modest, but the thing is, it's not fast enough or (physically) bulky enough. It's only base 100 speed, which isn't really that good anymore (or so I've heard), and if you wanna go bulky, it only has a measly 68 base HP stat, so while it could take special hits, it can't take physical hits well at all. Plus being Fairy, it's weak to Scizor's Bullet Punch. It will either get outsped or KOd most of the time, not letting you use that Hyper Voice, except walls or tanks that are likely meant to take that hit. Besides its potential, why is Gardevoir so highly praised in OU again? The Pixilate, Hyper voice, and Sp. attack stat makes it look a powerhouse to me on paper, but when I take a look at it's speed, it's inadequate, a mediocre speed tier without any boosts or a scarf. When I look at it's HP and physical defense, it's inadequate and mostly frail.

I want to use this thing, I really do, but because of its not-so-good speed tier and poor physical bulk, I probably won't get the chance to use the coveted "Hyper Voice" nuke that this thing is so hyped up for. If I do, it's probably just going to be on a bulky wall like Chansey.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me why Mega Gardevoir is so highly rated on the viability thread? I mean yeah, it has an amazing 165 sp. attack, an awesome ability in pixiliate, which makes hyper voice hit like a truck, especially with modest, but the thing is, it's not fast enough or (physically) bulky enough. It's only base 100 speed, which isn't really that good anymore (or so I've heard), and if you wanna go bulky, it only has a measly 68 base HP stat, so while it could take special hits, it can't take physical hits well at all. Plus being Fairy, it's weak to Scizor's Bullet Punch. It will either get outsped or KOd most of the time, not letting you use that Hyper Voice, except walls or tanks that are likely meant to take that hit. Besides its potential, why is Gardevoir so highly praised in OU again? The Pixilate, Hyper voice, and Sp. attack stat makes it look a powerhouse to me on paper, but when I take a look at it's speed, it's inadequate, a mediocre speed tier without any boosts or a scarf. When I look at it's HP and physical defense, it's inadequate and mostly frail.

I want to use this thing, I really do, but because of its not-so-good speed tier and poor physical bulk, I probably won't get the chance to use the coveted "Hyper Voice" nuke that this thing is so hyped up for. If I do, it's probably just going to be on a bulky wall like Chansey.
Trust me don't let that speed tier and defence lead you stray from her capabilities, to be honest trace can buy Gardenia plenty of opportunities to switch, and slow volturner make it easy as hell to get her in, wow/Taunt are solid option this banshee guy has on its disposal to punish would be switches. I have used a set of HV Taunt psychic and focus miss to great success even with the new coveted speed tiers.

This guy is a potent wallbreaker that only needs rocks up to turn several walls into not safe switches, and some pivots into ohko.

If you feel that it is too slow and don't want to build around him or use him as the wallbreaker of the team, it is fine. But I just love the boss feel of laughing at stall without spdef scizor or stalltini(That is still a thing).

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
To add to what Norne said, it completely demolishes most stall cores, with Taunt + Psyshock for Chansey and Hyper Voice to laugh at Sableye. It's pretty good against bulky offense and balance, as well, where it functions as a wallbreaker. It does struggle against offense, for all the reasons you've listed, but if you think of it as a way to break down opposing walls rather than something that sweeps on its own (except against stall, of course), it still can put in some work against offensive teams.

Question: is it better to have the rapid spinner/defogger of a team also learn stealth rock? I don't think it is, because you would think you would need to keep said spinner around for getting rid of hazards, but if they had to spend a turn getting rocks up, it might threaten their vitality. Any thoughts?

Question: is it better to have the rapid spinner/defogger of a team also learn stealth rock? I don't think it is, because you would think you would need to keep said spinner around for getting rid of hazards, but if they had to spend a turn getting rocks up, it might threaten their vitality. Any thoughts?
I think this is up for debate, but I've always found that when I try to cram both onto the same set, the mon in question tends to become very passive and underwhelming. For instance, if you have both Defog and Stealth Rock on Skarmory, now you want Roost for vitality, so now you have to choose between Whirlwind, Taunt, Brave Bird and Toxic. No matter what you choose, you'll probably be less than satisfied.

I think this is up for debate, but I've always found that when I try to cram both onto the same set, the mon in question tends to become very passive and underwhelming. For instance, if you have both Defog and Stealth Rock on Skarmory, now you want Roost for vitality, so now you have to choose between Whirlwind, Taunt, Brave Bird and Toxic. No matter what you choose, you'll probably be less than satisfied.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Thanks for the confirmation!

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What is the last day to vote on the suspect test?
"The suspect test will last approximately 2 weeks and will end on Sunday 4 January 2015, 11:59pm EST. The vote will take place in no more than a week after that."
Voting date has not been decided yet but that's the last day to ladder up to 2700 COIL.

As Sanger Zonvolt said, it becomes passive when it has hazards, and hazard removal, however imo Mew pulls it off fairly well, with Roost, and taunt/wow as its 4th move. Obviously, it will still be too underwhelming, but if you want to have both hazards, and hazard removal on one mon, I think Mew is your best shot.

Ok, i have 1 space on my team and I want to fill it with a support pokemon, but i'm having a little trouble picking one. I've been in between these 3 pokemon with the following movesets but if anyone has anything better please tell me. If it would help by posting/messaging their natures/ivs or the rest of my team then don't hesitate to ask

Blastoise @ Leftovers

Fake Out
Follow Me
Rapid Spin / Icy Wind / Water Spout
Aqua Ring / Rest

Togekiss @ Leftovers

Follow Me
Tailwind
Soft-Boiled
Dazzling Gleam / Toxic

Clefable @ Leftovers

Follow Me
Soft-Boiled
Knock-Off / Dazzling Gleam
Heal Bell

Ok, i have 1 space on my team and I want to fill it with a support pokemon, but i'm having a little trouble picking one. I've been in between these 3 pokemon with the following movesets but if anyone has anything better please tell me. If it would help by posting/messaging their natures/ivs or the rest of my team then don't hesitate to ask

Blastoise @ Leftovers

Fake Out
Follow Me
Aqua Ring / Rest

Togekiss @ Leftovers

Follow Me
Tailwind
Soft-Boiled
Dazzling Gleam / Toxic

Clefable @ Leftovers

Follow Me
Soft-Boiled
Heal Bell
I think you're in the wrong thread if all 3 of them have Follow Me, which is only used in Doubles sets. You should go here for future questions about Doubles. To answer this one: go with Togekiss, and never use Toxic in Doubles.

Blastoise @ Leftovers

Fake Out
Follow Me
Aqua Ring / Rest

Togekiss @ Leftovers

Follow Me
Tailwind
Soft-Boiled
Dazzling Gleam / Toxic

Clefable @ Leftovers

Follow Me
Soft-Boiled
Heal Bell
Don't use Follow Me in singles, which is the format OU (and everthing else at Smogon unless otherwise stated) uses. If you are looking for doubles help go here.

So I've seen a new Hippowdon spread going around. More specifically, a mixed spread of 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SDef with an Impish nature. Any ideas as to what it covers exactly?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So I've seen a new Hippowdon spread going around. More specifically, a mixed spread of 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SDef with an Impish nature. Any ideas as to what it covers exactly?
I wrote the analysis, so:
The EV spread avoids the 2HKO from Life Orb Thundurus's and Mega Manectric's Hidden Power Ice, as well as the OHKO from +2 Life Orb Terrakion's Close Combat.

How does STAB work when a move is not very effective? Would a 90 bp move with STAB become 90 when it's NVE, or would the STAB become 1.5x half the BP of a NVE move?

How does STAB work when a move is not very effective? Would a 90 bp move with STAB become 90 when it's NVE, or would the STAB become 1.5x half the BP of a NVE move?
No, the base power of an 80 BP move with STAB will be 120, so when it hits something that resists it, it'll be half damage after all calculations. The net damage will be the same as using a 60 BP move with no STAB:
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 141-166 (41.3 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 70-83 (20.5 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 70-83 (20.5 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Order of operations doesn't actually matter in this instance. In your example, if you apply STAB first then 90 BP becomes 135 BP. Then it's halved for being NVE, so it is functionally 67.5 BP. The same is true if you go the other way around: a 90 BP move halved for being NVE is 45 BP, and then apply STAB and it becomes 67.5 BP.

Either way you arrive at the same answer.

I've been away from competitive Pokemon battling for a while, and now that I've returned, I've been hearing the phrase "Brazilian 'X Pokemon' set" being used quite often (for example, "Brazilian Latias set"). What is a "Brazilian" set?

(I'm Brazilian, thus my curiosity)

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I've been away from competitive Pokemon battling for a while, and now that I've returned, I've been hearing the phrase "Brazilian 'X Pokemon' set" being used quite often (for example, "Brazilian Latias set"). What is a "Brazilian" set?

(I'm Brazilian, thus my curiosity)
Brazilian / Mexican = something with Thunder Wave. Its just a joke, dont take it personally.
Edit: For my own question, what are some good teammates for nasty plot + baton pass celebi?

what are some good teammates for nasty plot + baton pass celebi?
sub cm keldeo / standard lo keldeo would benefit from it pretty nicely, and they cover a good part of each others' weaknesses. Heatran could also be paired up with the two, to form a nice fwg core, and also benefiting from np to a degree. The core would be kind of weak to scarf landot, m-pinsir, m-metagross, and m-gallade among a few others, but something like max def clef could deal with a lot of those threats.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Adding on to this to say M-Diancie is usually a very common and very effective Nasty Plot receiver from Celebi. Celebi + Keldeo + M-Diancie is a pretty common and efficient core that provides ample synergy and takes advantage of NastyPass well.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
sub cm keldeo / standard lo keldeo would benefit from it pretty nicely, and they cover a good part of each others' weaknesses. Heatran could also be paired up with the two, to form a nice fwg core, and also benefiting from np to a degree. The core would be kind of weak to scarf landot, m-pinsir, m-metagross, and m-gallade among a few others, but something like max def clef could deal with a lot of those threats.
Adding on to this to say M-Diancie is usually a very common and very effective Nasty Plot receiver from Celebi. Celebi + Keldeo + M-Diancie is a pretty common and efficient core that provides ample synergy and takes advantage of NastyPass well.
Thanks! I'd assume that rock polish mega Diancie would be the most optimal set here, as calm mind would be somewhat redundant with the nasty plot boosts. Also, would you recommend specs / LO Keldeo or scarf? I feel scarf would make the most sense because you don't need the power of specs / LO if you're getting a nasty plot passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)