Pokémon Sceptile

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you guys say Mega Sceptile functions on Bulky Offense? I've seen a few teams on here that have him set up with a bulky offense archetype, so I'm wondering how that would compare to Hyper Offense.
You'd have to give an example of a team and set you're thinking of. The only attacks Sceptile is comfortable switching into are Electric, Grass and Water and even then it would prefer not to switch into Scald if it could. It does pair really well with Rotom-W though, covering its only weakness and allowing for a slow Volt Change to get Sceptile in, which is how Sceptile functions best, with Voltturn support. Rhyperior would also make a decent partner as a Mega Venusaur, Chenaught and even Celebi really are the BO Grass types though.
I'm surprised no one's brought up Thunder Punch. I run it with an Adamant 252/252 4-attacks set and it works pretty darn well from what I've played on cartridge wi-fi

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Drain Puch
- Thunderpunch
252+ Atk Sceptile Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 90-106 (26.9 - 31.7%) -- 32.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 189-223 (56.5 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Nevermind the fact that you are not using Swords Dance on a physical set, but its because physical Sceptile is a waste of a mega. You are choosing to ignore one of its main selling points which is its 145 base speed with that nature, and your great 145 special attack with the potential to benefit from Lightning Rod boosts. What exactly is Thunder Punch helping you hit besides regular Gyarados? Sorry, this set is bad.

You'd have to give an example of a team and set you're thinking of. The only attacks Sceptile is comfortable switching into are Electric, Grass and Water and even then it would prefer not to switch into Scald if it could. It does pair really well with Rotom-W though, covering its only weakness and allowing for a slow Volt Change to get Sceptile in, which is how Sceptile functions best, with Voltturn support. Rhyperior would also make a decent partner as a Mega Venusaur, Chenaught and even Celebi really are the BO Grass types though.
In this thread, there was a request for two sceptile core teams, and they combined it into one bulky offense. Another one was by Rosen, which I can't find the updated version of it anymore, but it was also a bulky offense team. In my case, I like the idea of the first team, but I don't want to just copy it, so I've been trying to think of ways to replace some members. Your posts about Mega Scept have been very helpful in regards to team building. Right now, I have Sceptile,Talonflame, Azumarill, and Scizor mainly. I was thinking of making Talonflame a SD variant with taunt, but I think bulk ups longevity will be better. Azu, I'm still on the fence between Choice Band and AV. Scizor was going to be the defogger, but I was also contemplating an AV Excadrill with EQ/RS/SR/Rapid Spin. I'm sorry if this seems a bit unorganized, I'm currently still researching other options for teammates.

Well thank you.

Consider a bulky Starmie for your Rapid Spin support. I tried one with Scald/Reflect Type/Rapid Spin/Recover and it was brilliantly resilient. Very helpful for Talonflame and Sceptile, and can absorb status too. You're going to need something physically bulky for Flying moves though since you don't have a resist yet if that's your first four. Bisharp is always phenomenal. Have you tried an AV Bisharp? Phenomenal switch into Latios and can use Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Knock Off and Iron Head. Low Kick for Ferrothorn. AV also makes it much better at handling Clefable. Otherwise Lum Berry is a good item choice too. All too often people go for the burn on Bisharp, which will be there undoing here.

Well thank you.

Consider a bulky Starmie for your Rapid Spin support. I tried one with Scald/Reflect Type/Rapid Spin/Recover and it was brilliantly resilient. Very helpful for Talonflame and Sceptile, and can absorb status too. You're going to need something physically bulky for Flying moves though since you don't have a resist yet if that's your first four. Bisharp is always phenomenal. Have you tried an AV Bisharp? Phenomenal switch into Latios and can use Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Knock Off and Iron Head. Low Kick for Ferrothorn. AV also makes it much better at handling Clefable. Otherwise Lum Berry is a good item choice too. All too often people go for the burn on Bisharp, which will be there undoing here.
I used a Charziard Y team for X and Y and I did use Bisharp, though he was a standard blackglasses attacker spread, I fell in love with him really. Fantastic when he gets the defog boost, and even without, he forces so many switches. Right now, I'm contemplating a SR setter, and my first thought goes to Lando-T, just because he's bulky with intimidate, powerful, and can get in Scept and Talonflame easy with U-turn. I'm not sure if I want choice scarf in particular, as Scizor and Bisharp can revenge kill/pursuit trap.

Ok so perhaps this is a dumb question but..... to truly exploit the SpA aspect of M-Sceptile, is it optimal to run a baton passer with nasty plot along with him or is he fine without it?

Ok so perhaps this is a dumb question but..... to truly exploit the SpA aspect of M-Sceptile, is it optimal to run a baton passer with nasty plot along with him or is he fine without it?
Depends on how you use him. Most tend to use him as a cleaner late game when most of the opposing team has already been weakened, so I wouldn't say he HAS to have a Nasty Plot passed to him if you just use him to clean or revenge kill. That being said, I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a +2 SAtk M-Sceptile.

Depends on how you use him. Most tend to use him as a cleaner late game when most of the opposing team has already been weakened, so I wouldn't say he HAS to have a Nasty Plot passed to him if you just use him to clean or revenge kill. That being said, I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a +2 SAtk M-Sceptile.
True enough. I mean the way I have him set-up on the team I'm trying to make is him with a Togekiss along with some additional SpA just incase it's not wise to switch him in

Only trouble is Sceptile is weak to several forms of priority, so you'd have to guarantee mon like Talonflame and Bisharp are out of the way, as well as scarfers. Sceptile can be forced out quite frequently if you don't have Substitute. I don't think he's an optimal Nasty Plot recipient in that sense, as he doesn't really need it to act as a cleaner or revenge killer. Personally I think you're better off with screen support than you are baton pass.

Only trouble is Sceptile is weak to several forms of priority, so you'd have to guarantee mon like Talonflame and Bisharp are out of the way, as well as scarfers. Sceptile can be forced out quite frequently if you don't have Substitute. I don't think he's an optimal Nasty Plot recipient in that sense, as he doesn't really need it to act as a cleaner or revenge killer. Personally I think you're better off with screen support than you are baton pass.
Ironically enough, I was going to try to have that set-up before I even tried to BP so that it would at least guarantee that M-Scep would get one maybe 2 and essentially wreck from there.

Why is substitute for on sceptile? M-sceptile is imune to thunder waves and takes advantage of it. Its also imune to spore, and burn is not that bad on a special sweeper, I would put giga drain over substitute, or even leech seed.

Why is substitute for on sceptile? M-sceptile is imune to thunder waves and takes advantage of it. Its also imune to spore, and burn is not that bad on a special sweeper, I would put giga drain over substitute, or even leech seed.
Substitute gives it flex room in various situations, such as when you need a 2HKO, a priority user comes out, or when Focus Blast misses. I wouldn't run Leech Seed on it just because it's too frail to really take advantage of it without losing precious coverage.

Speaking of sets in the OP, Jernmax you ever going to get rid of that Unburden set? I think it's safe to say that it's a really bad unviable set.

Substitute gives it flex room in various situations, such as when you need a 2HKO, a priority user comes out, or when Focus Blast misses. I wouldn't run Leech Seed on it just because it's too frail to really take advantage of it without losing precious coverage.

Speaking of sets in the OP, Jernmax you ever going to get rid of that Unburden set? I think it's safe to say that it's a really bad unviable set.
What unburden set? ;)

substitute is a common choice on sceptile because it threatens lot of mons out (for example rotom-w) thanks to its good speed tier and its coverage and substitute allows to take advantage of that.

This things RU, but I'm using it in OU. Don't know if thats odd or not.
Anyways, any suggestions for taking out M-Altaria? That thing kind of walls M-Scept, I can never get past it. Too darn bulky.

This things RU, but I'm using it in OU. Don't know if thats odd or not.
Anyways, any suggestions for taking out M-Altaria? That thing kind of walls M-Scept, I can never get past it. Too darn bulky.
Usage does not equal viability. Mega Sceptile is very good in OU, and it's only RU because usage stats are fucked up right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)