Resource RU SPL Replays / Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello frends, back again once again and this time we got a nice n clean replay thread. In this thread, the RU community will be able to express their thoughts and discuss the RU games done in Smogon's prestigious Premier League. Don't just shit talk the players in this thread; explain why you think their plays are questionable and call them out that way ;)
Teams and strategies can be discussed in this thread, as the metagame often develops during the course of SPL as new sets are innovated. Also, shoutout to the Ubers forum which I stole this thread off of.
Let the fun begin...

Player Records:
Bouffalant: 1-2
Spirit: 2-1
Hikari: 1-2
Windsong: 2-1
Calloflochie: 2-1
Hot N Cold: 0-3
Pearl.: 1-2
New Breed: 3-0
FAJI: 0-2
Ginku: 3-0
Omfuga: 0-1

Week 1

Bouffalant vs. Spirit

Hikari vs. Windsong

Ginku vs. FAJI

New Breed vs. Pearl.

Calloflochie vs. Hot N Cold

Week 2

[Tigers] FAJI vs. Spirit [Cryonicles]
[Bigs] Ginku vs. Pearl. [Falcons]
[Raiders] New Breed vs. Bouffalant [Ruiners]

[Classiest] Hikari vs. Hot N Cold [Sharks]
[Wolfpack] Calloflochie vs. Windsong [Scooters]

Week 3

[Ruiners] Bouffalant vs. Pearl. [Falcons]
[Raiders] New Breed vs. Windsong [Scooters]
[Tigers] Omfuga vs. Calloflochie [Wolfpack]
[Classiest] Hikari vs. Ginku [Bigs]
[Sharks] Hot N Cold vs. Spirit [Cryonicles]

Week 4

Last edited:
I think spirit mostly played well. The issues outlined in the video make sense in hindsight and were obviously overthought. He had a difficult matchup including the gatr in the wings and he had to constantly make every play right to overcome an intrinsic disadvantage, imo bouff had more freedom. Relying on focus hits was kinda obviously not ideal tho so not sure about that on bouffs part, and earlier on I think spirit expected tauntbat so he didnt defog and uturned instead. This is also their first spl so that may have contributed to any misplays. I like the video tho shake :3

Last edited:
To be honest Spirit's Feraligatr weakness (which I was revealed it was Sub SD Waterfall Aqua Jet, hence walled by Cradily) kinda justified the U-turn against Dragalge (also Bouffalamt was very reckless bringing it in on Pidgeot while it could have cleaned the game quite easily) even tho Defogging would have given Spirit a bigger chance to win had he not switched by for example attempting to pp stall Focus Blast with Moltres' pressure to have a bigger shot with Registeel. In the endgame Bouffalant staying in to hit 2 Focus Blasts was gutsy but incredibly risky and having Registeel set up could have compromised his win condition in Feraligatr which was ready to sweep when Cradily was eliminated and Registeel being Curse was pretty obvious anyway. It was a fun match between two chill guys anyway n_n

Updated all of the Week 1 games. The lack of stall teams is real...swear the longest game this week was like less than 30 turns.
Also posted New Breed vs. Pearl

I'm sure there will be more defensive teams later if / when stuff gets banned ;)

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
been checking what people have used for week 1 in ru. here are some interesting facts:

Dragalge's been used by 5 players in 5 games, not that surprising, but still worth a mention. Mega evolution usage is decently even, with 3 Sceptile, 3 Pidgeot, 2 Abomasnow and 1 Camerupt (hnc is a hipster or something like that, didn't use a mega)

Most used: Dragalge (used by 5 people), Sceptile and Pidgeot (3 both)

Pokemon used twice: Abomasnow (mentioned above), Bronzong, Cobalion, Gligar, Golbat, Registeel (some balance staples, not surprising either), Houndoom, Jolteon, Moltres, Pangoro, Reuniclus, Kabutops and Mesprit. actually happy with Mesprit still being a respectable mon ngl, SR + Healing Wish and the ability to scare away stuff is just too good to ignore for more offensive builds.

Used once (some really neat stuff here actually): Cradily, Escavalier, Feraligatr (shame we didn't actually see it doing work, but it did put a decent amount of pressure on Spirit), Camerupt, Eelektross, Hitmonlee, Omastar, Cresselia, Virizion, Sigilyph (not bad), Alomomola, Jellicent, Sawk (destroyer of worlds), Jynx (scarf actually), Rhyperior, Meloetta, Escavalier, Shiftry, Tyrantrum (did a lot of work too), Doublade, Slowking and Amoonguss.

Notable absences: Stall (rip :[ closest thing to that was my build probably which just failed massively vs the lord that abomasnow and alge are) and Glalie builds. The latter actually having a lot of potential, due to Glalie's ability to go for both a Spikes set or 4 attacks to be a strong wallbreaker. Actually expected Cress and Panda to be used more tbh. We could also see some more Qwilfish/Accelgor (or even Omastar) Spikes builds in the upcoming weeks and some more niche Pokemon such as Quagsire, Whimsicott and Magneton. also, while contrary serp is banned for this week, emboar can be used. wonder if we'll be seeing some of that. gotta stay tuned I guess

Recorded Wepwn vs. Spirit live yesterday

In the end it was really hard for Wepwn to come back after the terrible start. Haven't seen Shell Smash Omastar in a while tbh; Spirit didn't have to send it out because he crit Escavalier but still. innovation.

[19:38:30] <@Tsunami> oh my god guys
[19:38:33] <@Tsunami> do u realize what this means
[19:38:36] <@Tsunami> for the 1st time in ru history
[19:38:39] <@Tsunami> we have finished every game
[19:38:40] <@Tsunami> b4 sunday.

It's been a long time coming, but it only took the removal of SilentVerse as a player to finally accomplish this great feat. Well done to the RU Community. #NoJohns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)