VGC Start to a new VGC Meta - RMT Please

Hey guys, thought I would post my first attempt at a VGC 2015 team. Maybe this year I will be able to actually get to the Regionals and have an attempt at the VGC.

After messing on Pokemon Showdown at the new VGC 2015 and what all the new entrants are allowed since its National Dex and not just Kalos Dex.

Soo here is the team and their sets.

Team at a Glance

The Members

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 92 HP / 116 Def / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Helping Hand
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

The Fairy Powerhouse! Sylveon is amazing against anything that isnt a steel type. The sheer power of Pixilate Hyper Voice + Choice Specs is amazing. The good thing with Sylveon is it can pair up with most things.

The EV Spread is 252 SpA for the Obvious damage on everything.

252 Atk Mega Kangaskan Return V 92 HP/116 Def = 84 - 99% (Guarenteed 2HKO)
So the Defense Evs are very helpful

With the 92HP Evs and the natural SpDef Bulk it also allows Sylveon to survive a Flash Cannon from 252 SpAtk+ Aegislash

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body (Intimidate? Whats that?)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

Currently an Adamant version which hits amazingly hard. Have been tempted to change to a Spe+ nature as there is no Speed Control on this team.
Bullet Punch is my current Steel move of choice because it beats speed control, for example trick room, it hits fairies hard and also messes with Bisharp Sucker Punch.
Hammer Arm is for Kangaskan and Heatran and Zen Headbutt (If it hits -__-) is a nice and powerful STAB move.
Protect is normally for either Mega-Evolving or Scouting what the opponent is going to do.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant (Oooh thats what Intimidate does? Powers me up :D)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Knock Off

Intimidate seems to running around quite a bit with the current VGC meta so decided to use Bisharp. Was tempted to use Competitive Milotic but Bisharp has something that Milotic doesnt. Priority.
It also beats up on Cresselia with Knock Off. Bisharp acts as a nice Pre-Match deterrant against Intimidate users and Cresselia's that wanna have a field day and use Status.
Iron Head decimates Sylveon and other fairies. Protect is a staple of VGC Meta.
Knock off is a great STAB and helps get rid of items that could cause problems.
I went with a pretty standard 252 Atk/252 Spe Adamant Spread because as much speed and power is needed. Currently using Life Orb for more power, but have been tempted to run Focus Sash

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain

The fluffy Mutha Trucka is a pain. But soo fun to use lol
Now as amazing as Whimsicott is, atm I feel is probably a weak link in this team, even though its helpful.
Using a 252 SpA/252 Spe set to out speed Thundurus who is the second fastest Prankster user, so I can taunt it, before it can taunt me.
I usually try and Taunt Cresselia who like to set up TR but they carry mental Herb alot, so usually (if they dont Helping Hand ><) encore them to mess with the speed of the match.
Leech Seed is a great move for health regain which stays even after Whimsicott faints as long as the opponent stays.
Was thinking of changing from 252 SpA to 252 HP to make a bit Bulkier but Giga Drain is useful for Water Types/Swampert/Gastrodon/Rotom that run about.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

The Starter/The Revenger .. what ever you want it to be.
Scarf Hydreigon is being great for me. Some people dont expect it to be scarfed so you can pick up some nice KO's with the element of surprise. For example Salamence lol. The coverage of its movepool is fantastic. Draco Meteor KO's or dents anything else that isnt a Fairy. Fire Blast destroys Bisharp. Dark Pulse hits Cresselia nice and hard, also STAB so hits other things very nicely.
I have chosen Earth Power because it takes out Heatran.
Tbh this is one of the few members of my team that its definately pulling their weight :D

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

AV Tyranitar - The Special Bulk is real! I wanted something that countered Charizard Y and this is what I have been using. For something that I chose to counter something very specific (yeh a bad move ><) it has been doing reasonable well.
Crunch hits psychics including Cresselia (probably noticing some hate here eh? lol) well. Pursuit traps them. EQ is a nice spread move. Rock Slide hits flying types like Talonflame and Salamence nicely as well.

The EV spread is simply to max its Special bulk as much as possible. From play testing in my team no attack investment is immediately needed because its base 134 Attack is very nice.

Sooo this is my current VGC 2015 team that is winning more than its losing, but still losing more than I would like ... but some of that is probably down to me getting used to what is seen in this Meta.

But from the team, what can you guys see that would be better? Improved? or atm just down right sucks?? lol

Thanks for any help given

Looks like a great team to me, I'd be wary of terrakion though, a sashed terrakion tears a huge hole in your team,seeing as your only counter is metagross.

Looks like a great team to me, I'd be wary of terrakion though, a sashed terrakion tears a huge hole in your team,seeing as your only counter is metagross.
Not only that, but you have not as single counter for infernape that isn't sylveon. You have a serious Fighting weakness that needs to be covered.

Now that you mention it .. yeh there is >< .. dammit. Hmmm ok. Since AV Tyranitar was mainly included to counter Mega-Zard Y, what about this instead?

Landorus-T @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 184 HP / 236 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Protect

This set would provide some Intimidate Support. The EV Spread allows it to survive Modest Mega-Zard Y's Heat Wave, +1 Attack Bisharp Sucker Punch, -1 Attack Mega-Kangaskan Fake Out and Double Edge, -1 Attack Conkeldurr Ice Punch.
The Attack EVs also allow it to OHKO Bisharp and the Speed EVs allow it to outspeed Bisharp.
This set seems like it would fit nicely .. however im just a bit fearful that changing Tyranitar to Lando-T would make this team even weaker to Mental Herb Cress??

Last edited:
but do you really need max unboosted SpD to survive Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave in Sun? it seems like a waste of EVs imo and needs to be recalculated

Now that you mention it .. yeh there is >< .. dammit. Hmmm ok. Since AV Tyranitar was mainly included to counter Mega-Zard Y, what about this instead?

Landorus-T @ Yache Berry
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Protect

This set would provide some Intimidate Support. The EV Spread allows it to survive Modest Mega-Zard Y's Heat Wave, +1 Attack Bisharp Sucker Punch, -1 Attack Mega-Kangaskan Fake Out and Double Edge, -1 Attack Conkeldurr Ice Punch.
The Attack EVs also allow it to OHKO Bisharp and the Speed EVs allow it to outspeed Bisharp.
This set seems like it would fit nicely .. however im just a bit fearful that changing Tyranitar to Lando-T would make this team even **weaker to Mental Herb Cress??**
Last time i checked, Helping Hand boosted Knock Off can OHKO any cress.

Landorus-T @ Yache Berry
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Protect

This set seems like it would fit nicely .. however im just a bit fearful that changing Tyranitar to Lando-T would make this team even weaker to Mental Herb Cress??
Not having calcs handy, I think competitive milotic might ohko your lando,and lols at whimsicott koing with ice beam.

Landorus-T @ Yache Berry
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Protect
This EV spread is inefficient. At level 50 and with 31 IV, 184 EVs and 180 EV reach the same stat. Same thing for 88 Speed EVs: 84 hits the same stat. Removing 4 EVs in each stat gives you 8 more EVs to distribute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)