Why haven't we seriously considered banning Protean instead of Greninja

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Agent Gibbs I understand your common sense point, but I have issue with the argument that lower tiers are not in our interest. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 90% of the time, cries for complex bans are to allow people to use "blaziken in uu," or something of that nature. Of course, in many cases, the nerf (darkrai + void, again) would cause a descent from ubers to ou, but disregarding the lower-tier diversity argument simply because it goes against principle is unfair, particularly because this entire thread is about defying the original principle to begin with.

It would be a side-effect, of course, but it's an argument against trying to cherry-pick things like baton pass or swords dance as opposed to just taking the simple, obvious route and banning speed boost blaziken.

Agent Gibbs I understand your common sense point, but I have issue with the argument that lower tiers are not in our interest. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 90% of the time, cries for complex bans are to allow people to use "blaziken in uu," or something of that nature. Of course, in many cases, the nerf (darkrai + void, again) would cause a descent from ubers to ou, but disregarding the lower-tier diversity argument simply because it goes against principle is unfair, particularly because this entire thread is about defying the original principle to begin with.
There are examples in the past where an upper tier's decision has affected a lower tier in an arguably negative fashion. The Sand Veil ban of BW left Cacturne without the use of Bullet Seed and Encore, yet we went with it despite the unfortunate collateral damage. In addition, Gothitelle was banned from BW UU after it got Shadow Tag, and if I remember correctly, it actually wasn't that much of a problem in NU. Despite this, it was still banned in NU because NU is a lower tier and must follow the ban rules of tiers above it.

I get that the original principle on bans is in question here to begin with, but the philosophy regarding lower tiers vs upper tiers extends to more than just bans. The reason that we don't need to keep lower tier status in mind is that lower tiers by definition are based on the upper tiers, not the other way around. This is demonstrated in our usage-based tiering. For example, RU has been long awaiting the arrival of Hound "Savior Dog" Doom, but it wasn't until just recently that they received it because RU is completely dependent on UU's usage when it comes to gaining and losing new Pokemon. As unfair as it may seem, that's just the way our tiers work; Pokemon used enough in UU will rise from RU and/or remain in UU regardless of how much RU wants them, and we've never manually manipulated our tiers to address this perceived unfairness. Our bans should work the same way as our usage-based process because, again, lower tiers are based exclusively on the upper ones (outside of their own suspect tests, of course).

It would be a side-effect, of course, but it's an argument against trying to cherry-pick things like baton pass or swords dance as opposed to just taking the simple, obvious route and banning speed boost blaziken.
Right, but the main issue with this is that many people view banning things like Protean on Greninja and Speed Boost on Blaziken as cherry-picking as well, and just because banning the aforementioned abilities would be the most obvious route doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right one.

Last edited:

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This discussion also makes me think of something that I feel is very related. I obviously can't read peoples' minds, but the sense I often get is that a lot of people view stats and typing as intrinsic to a Pokemon, but not movepool and abilities. As if cutting up and editing what is legal about a Pokemon is OK with regard to the latter two, but not the former. Personally, I don't share that view at all. To me, a Pokemon is the sum of everything it has. Abilities are just as much a part of the mon as its Special Attack stat. So, when I hear comments like "the thing that best nerfs the mon to the point of it having no reasonable place in ubers" I wonder why people are picking on Protean and not Greninja's Speed stat. In my personal opinion, "Greninja without Protean" would be more of a threat than "Greninja but slow."

Now obviously you can say that changing stats would change the game mechanics and we can't do that. That's true. I agree with that. However, even without mechanic changes, depending on the exact rule, we could get it as slow as a max speed base 60-something using EV, IV or Nature restrictions. With that said, I in no way support that. I think that is absolutely a terrible idea. However, my point is that you really can't pick a factor and say "this thing best nerfs the mon." Regardless of the fact that, as Agent Gibbs seemed to imply, what exactly the "best" way to nerf a mon is is up for debate (ie. biggest total nerf vs smallest nerf that does what is needed), much of the time the things that have the biggest direct factor on a Pokemon's competitive quality are stats or typing.

I know not everyone will agree, but in my personal opinion, I just believe it is unwise to think that an ability or move it should be treated any differently than any other part of a Pokemon.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Just wondering, Agent Gibbs, but is your issue moreso related to the concept of complex-banning here, or the fact that finding what to ban on a pokemon is up in the air? Ie. if some hypothetical standard was made to where there was a clear, ideal, singular ban that could be made on a pokemon to accomplish such a purpose, would you/others be in favor of it?

Just wondering, Agent Gibbs, but is your issue moreso related to the concept of complex-banning here, or the fact that finding what to ban on a pokemon is up in the air? Ie. if some hypothetical standard was made to where there was a clear, ideal, singular ban that could be made on a pokemon to accomplish such a purpose, would you/others be in favor of it?
It's the issue of complex-banning largely because what to ban is up in the air. Just to be clear, I am not supporting a Gunk Shot Greninja ban or anything of the sort. I am, instead, agreeing with jas61292 that a Pokemon is an entity made up of many parts that interact and compliment each other, and it's impossible to take a Pokemon apart piece by piece and decide exactly what breaks it because it is the sum of these parts that makes a Pokemon broken. In Greninja's case, it's Greninja's great speed, decent power, and fantastic offensive movepool all combined with Protean that make it broken rather than simply Protean itself, so choosing just to ban Protean alongside Greninja is completely arbitrary. Additionally, even if we wanted to make such a complex ban, I fail to see how Protean + Greninja would be the right choice just because it's arguably the most obvious or drastic change.

As for your question, I'd likely not be in favor of such a thing due to other arguments laid out in this thread (banlist complexities, setting bad precedents, etc.). However, it's really impossible to know for sure because I have yet to see such a complex ban proposed.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
We aren't just interested in creating the least restrictive change possible. We're also interested in banning what actually needs to be banned.
Why is it Greninja that was "what actually needs to be banned" (emphasis mine)? We just employed the banishment that was objectively the most unnecessary. We didn't ban Gengar. We didn't ban Swift Swim. We didn't ban Drizzle. We didn't ban Politoed. And, in easily the most telling example of our usual use of caution and consideration, we went out of our way to not ban Baton Pass first limiting its use to three members max per team, and then one max. We have often taken the route of actually banning what is necessary (and not banning what isn't necessary, like with Baton Pas) or at least considering it, but not in this case, which is worrisome.

Protean alone is not broken, period. This should be obvious by the fact that Greninja is the only user of the ability that is even remotely banworthy right now.
Using this logic, one could argue that Greninja alone is not broken, period, because it was not suspected until over a year after it had access to its hidden ability.

And it's equally obvious that Protean is only available on four out of 720 Pokemon, and that the other Pokemon are as viable in OU as was Sand Veil Diglett.

This is far, far different from Moody (which you mentioned in the OP), which allowed even crap users like Bidoof to completely destroy Ubers teams just by getting lucky enough. Greninja is the problem here, so we ban Greninja. We have never tried to create such rules to save other single Pokemon from bans, so why start with Greninja? Just because you think it's less restrictive?
I have carefully cited our current policy leaders' aims and desires and not my own. Your question therefore should be answered by Oglemi or Haunter. As far as your "why start now" is concerned, this is as weak-minded as a general fear of slippery slope. Why did we start affecting policy changes through individual leadership in generation 4? And further through elected committees for special cases like Outrage Salamence? Why did we elect heads for specific tiers instead of just going by the seat of our pants?

Because we are not satisfied with the status quo, nor should we be. No effective policy makers have ever led with a "leave well enough alone" mentality. The one you're expressing here genuinely concerns me, and I'm not saying that to be dramatic or for bad boy Internet style points.

I mean, if you really want to split hairs, I'd argue that banning Protean would be even more restrictive, not less. Banning Protean would affect 4 Pokemon while banning Greninja would only affect 1, but whatever. The bottom line is that when a Pokemon is broken, we have always banned the Pokemon. Why is it so important that we change that policy now?
Banning Protean, as I have already shown, would have empirically affected less in OU than the banishment of Greninja stands to. I'm not going to look up the OU usage of Frogadier and Froakie to further illustrate this point. A fast spiker, as was stated, is the very least of the utility that Torrent Greninja would bring to OU, not to (again) mention the "whole Pokemon" point I raised when Haunter used Greninja's other attributes to show why they, in conjunction with Protean, merited Greninja's banishment.

First, please don't start with this "weak-minded" crap. So many of these kinds of discussions turn into garbage largely because people start throwing around insults like "weak-minded" or "whiny babies," and I'd rather not see that happen here.

I genuinely feel that this who adhere to a slippery slope argument are weak-minded, because it is a logical fallacy. I'd argue that "crap" is objectively more insulting than "weak-minded", especially when levied at a specific person. I'm much less bothered by perceived insults than hypocrisy surrounding what an insult is.

Second, this isn't just about slippery slopes, it's about setting dangerous precedents. No one seriously thinks that we're gonna start allowing silly stuff like Iron Ball Arceus with no STABs or whatever. However, as soon as you start getting into this mindset of, "How much do we have to neuter Pokemon X in order for it to be manageable in OU?", then there's nothing stopping you from trying to create other nerfs to allow other Pokemon in OU for the sake of being less restrictive. You have to realize that you're dealing with a community made of thousands of players, real human beings with their own biases and preferences. You can't play favorites with Greninja because I'm sure there are a ton of other players out there that loved using Genesect, Deoxys-S/D, etc. in OU and would love to create nerfs to have them back again. It could be banning the Pokemon with a certain abilities, certain moves, and I'm sure level caps could even be a possibility if you found someone who was able to articulate an argument for it well enough. The more of these bans you implement, the more complicated and messy our banlist gets, which makes it even harder for newer users to get used to our rules and learn the metagame. And in case you want to bring Moody up again as a precedent, this isn't just a ban on an ability that is universally broken or uncompetitive like Moody was. It's specifically an attempt to castrate Greninja in order to keep it from being banned, and once you start going down that hill, there will be no reason to just stop at Protean and Greninja.
Do you see how you literally just said "going down that hill" in the same paragraph where you're attempting to persuade us that "this isn't just about slippery slopes"? Dangerous precedent is the same thing as slippery slope, as your word usage proves perhaps better than I could myself.

As far as "if you found someone who was able to articulate an argument for it well enough" is concerned, this actually goes beyond the exact close-minded mentality I've cautioned against and flies straight into destructively spiteful. If someone articulates a valid argument for a given case, it logically stands to reason that the case in question has merit. Yet you already have your fingers in your ears preemptively because...what? "Why start now?". If level caps or some other suggestion didn't have any merit, then the suggestion would be shot down or disregarded by those who matter even if the ghost of Steve Jobs posited it himself.

Agent Gibbs, listen to me. Nothing gets done if policy makers have the same mentality you're showcasing here towards admittedly well-formed and logical policy suggestions. Open-mindedness is vital to the furthering of any community.

I really think this discussion needs a lot more "Why?" and a lot less "Why not?" So many times when these sorts of discussions pop up (whether it's Protean, Speed Boost Blaziken, Sand Rush Excadrill, or whatever else), the people proposing the ban spend a lot of time trying to appeal to certain precedents and challenging the other side to offer counterarguments without first explaining why their proposed change is necessary. If you want to change the status quo, then the burden of proof is on you first to explain why we need this change. Just look at this thread; we've got plenty of arguments about precedent and slippery slopes, yet we have very little reasoning as to why a Protean ban is necessary in the first place rather than a straight Greninja ban. The only real point I've seen you make is that it's less restrictive, but as I've already explained, A) our bans are based on more than just what is least restrictive and B) it can be argued that banning Protean would actually be technically more restrictive than banning Greninja. Not that the difference is even that huge, because there's no guarantee that Greninja would even be relevant in OU without Protean. I want to see substantial reasoning as to why we need to change our ban stance. Is there a significant benefit to having Torrent Greninja in this metagame? What would it offer that the metagame currently needs? Contrarily, is there a significant drawback to losing Greninja as a whole? Is there some unique way that it contributes that is important to the health of the metagame and that we would miss with a simple ban? These are the kinds of questions you need to start answering before we even begin to start discussing slippery slopes, precedents, and whatever else. Because honestly, if the main reason to go with a Protean ban is just so that people can use Greninja in OU, then no, we don't need to change the purpose of our suspect test to appease fanboys that just want to use Greninja outside of Ubers.
The placing of Greninja in a Suspect pool changed the status quo, so I'm afraid the burden of proof is on your side, and all those hypotheticals you posed are pointless. This thread wouldn't exist if we had seriously considered banning Protean instead of Greninja.

Last edited:
Why is it Greninja that was "what actually needs to be banned" (emphasis mine)? We just employed the banishment that was objectively the most unnecessary. We didn't ban Gengar. We didn't ban Swift Swim. We didn't ban Drizzle. We didn't ban Politoed. And, in easily the most telling example of our usual use of caution and consideration, we went out of our way to not ban Baton Pass first limiting its use to three members max per team, and then one max. We have often taken the route of actually banning what is necessary (and not banning what isn't necessary, like with Baton Pas) or at least considering it, but not in this case, which is worrisome.
Gengarite is not comparable to Protean. We already decided at the beginning of the generation the Mega Pokemon were going to be treated as separate from their normal forms for the purposes of tiering because of how incredibly different they generally are from their normal forms and for the fact that their identity is literally defined by the Mega stone. If you have an issue with that, you can take it up with the OU Council.

As for the other two, I've already explained how drastically different DrizzleSwim was and why it is not comparable. In a similar manner to DrizzleSwim, Baton Pass was something that encompassed an entire team style, not just one single Pokemon. Again, neither of these are cases where we try to neuter a Pokemon just to keep it in OU like this Greninja deal is.

Using this logic, one could argue that Greninja alone is not broken, period, because it was not suspected until over a year after it had access to its hidden ability.
I really don't get what your point here is or how this even makes sense. The addition of Gunk Shot and Low Kick to its movepool pushed it over the edge because those two moves helped contribute to the whole of Greninja in such a manner that it became broken. I honestly don't see how the fact that Greninja took a while to get banned means that it wasn't broken.

And it's equally obvious that Protean is only available on four out of 720 Pokemon, and that the other Pokemon are as viable in OU as was Sand Veil Diglett.
Again, the Sand Veil ban affected a lot more than just one problematic Pokemon, and we already had the Evasion Clause in which many believed the ability should have been included in the first place. Plus, it's a luck-based ability, and we have acted many times to limit these sorts of factors. Protean is not a problem with more than one Pokemon, it does not have a preceding clause to be included as a part of, and it is not luck-based. Sand Veil actually was the problem, Protean is not. It's not comparable.

I have carefully cited our current policy leaders' aims and desires and not my own. Your question therefore should be answered by Oglemi or Haunter. As far as your "why start now" is concerned, this is as weak-minded as a general fear of slippery slope. Why did we start affecting policy changes through individual leadership in generation 4? And further through elected committees for special cases like Outrage Salamence? Why did we elect heads for specific tiers instead of just going by the seat of our pants?
But do you know what the difference was? The people who wanted to change policy in the past made compelling cases for why the changes should take place. They didn't just say, "We should make this change because it makes sense to me and you can't give me a good enough reason to not do it."

Because we are not satisfied with the status quo, nor should we be. No effective policy makers have ever led with a "leave well enough alone" mentality. The one you're expressing here genuinely concerns me, and I'm not saying that to be dramatic or for bad boy Internet style points.
My attitude here isn't that we should just leave the status quo alone for the sake of leaving it alone. My attitude is that before we start trying to change the way we run our bans and suspect tests, you first need to present compelling arguments as to why and address the counterarguments rather than running forward with a bunch of "Why not?"s and giving me speeches about how weak minded, close minded, etc. you think my point of view is.

Banning Protean, as I have already shown, would have empirically affected less in OU than the banishment of Greninja stands to. I'm not going to look up the OU usage of Frogadier and Froakie to further illustrate this point. A fast spiker, as was stated, is the very least of the utility that Torrent Greninja would bring to OU, not to (again) mention the "whole Pokemon" point I raised when Haunter used Greninja's other attributes to show why they, in conjunction with Protean, merited Greninja's banishment.
All you have really proven is that if we banned Protean, Greninja would not be broken. That's pretty obvious. It's also obvious that if Greninja didn't have its great speed stat, it wouldn't be broken. If it didn't have its ORAS tutor moves, it likely wouldn't be broken. The point still remains that there is no one thing that breaks Greninja, and trying to pick Protean out and say it's the real problem is completely arbitrary.

I genuinely feel that this who adhere to a slippery slope argument are weak-minded, because it is a logical fallacy. I'd argue that "crap" is objectively more insulting than "weak-minded", especially when levied at a specific person. I'm much less bothered by perceived insults than hypocrisy surrounding what an insult is.
I'm sorry, I simply don't see how saying the phrase "weak-minded" is crap is more offensive than actually calling someone "weak-minded." I really don't.

As far as "if you found someone who was able to articulate an argument for it well enough" is concerned, this actually goes beyond the exact close-minded mentality I've cautioned against and flies straight into destructively spiteful. If someone articulates a valid argument for a given case, it logically stands to reason that the case in question has merit. Yet you already have your fingers in your ears preemptively because...what? "Why start now?". If level caps or some other suggestion didn't have any merit, then the suggestion would be shot down or disregarded by those who matter even if the ghost of Steve Jobs posited it himself.
So what you're saying here is that if someone actually did present a case for a level cap well enough, then we should actually consider it? So correct me if I'm wrong, but you're basically dismissing the idea of any kind of slippery slope and then at the same time acknowledging that such a thing is perfectly possible. Is that what I'm gathering?

Agent Gibbs, listen to me. Nothing gets done if policy makers have the same mentality you're showcasing here towards admittedly well-formed and logical policy suggestions. Open-mindedness is vital to the furthering of any community.
There's a huge difference between open-mindedness and trying to make policy decisions without first proving why it's necessary or considering the consquences.

When Garchomp was banned in DPP, it was the first time we had banned a non-legendary Pokemon from the standard metagame (besides the unique case with Wobbuffet, of course). Now, I wasn't very involved in the discussion around that time, but I imagine there were people making similar slippery slope arguments. And you know what? If they were, they were dead right. After Garchomp came Salamence, followed by several similar bans in the 5th and 6th generations. However, do you know what the difference was? There was a legitimate problem with OU. Garchomp was running the metagame in a manner deemed unhealthy by the community, so it was determined that we needed a policy change in order to deal with the problem at hand. This was a policy change that was necessary for the health of the metagame and was well worth breaking the status quo.

The difference here is that you have yet to provide a compelling case as to why this is necessary. It's not just close-mindedness, it's the fact that a Protean ban (and similar treatment for other bans) is unnecessary and not worth the potential consequences that could follow. Leaving Greninja as a whole in Ubers is in no way going to damage the OU metagame in such a way that leaving Garchomp in OU during DPP would have. In DPP, the problem we were facing was so large that we really couldn't afford to maintain the status quo. That is nowhere near the problem that we face now.

The placing of Greninja in a Suspect pool changed the status quo, so I'm afraid the burden of proof is on your side, and all those hypotheticals you posed are pointless. This thread wouldn't exist if we had seriously considered banning Protean instead of Greninja.
I don't get what you mean here either. Of course suspecting Greninja requires a burden of proof. That's why we hold suspect tests in the first place and spend weeks holding discussions and running suspect ladder tests in order to decide whether or not the Pokemon actually deserves to be banned. However, there is another status quo here, and that is the decision to suspect a single Pokemon rather than picking through its characteristics and trying to find a way to nerf it. Not only is this the way that we decided to start this particular test, but this is the way we have always handled our single Pokemon bans. So yes, suspecting Greninja requires a burden of proof, and you can read through the suspect threads if you want to see that proof. However, changing the way in which we address an otherwise pretty routine ban also requires a similar burden, and I have yet to see a significant reason as to why we need to change this policy, much less why it's so important in the case of Greninja.

EDIT: Just wondering, but now that Greninja is officially banned, is this thread really necessary anymore? Perhaps we could open up a new thread in Policy Review to specifically discuss our policy on single Pokemon nerfs and complex bans, since that's pretty much what this thread is turning into anyway.

Last edited:

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't have a ton to say, as Agent Gibbs already covered most of what I was thinking, but I just want to reiterate that this part here is just... well... wrong. Greninja changed with the new games. The WHOLE of Greninja changed. That is what made it broken. The fact that it wasn't in the past has no bearing on whether it is now. Hell, this is practically comparable to saying that Garchomp should be banned now because it was broken in gen 4. Things change. You don't even necessarily need a new game for that. Sometimes just banning some other Pokemon can push a Pokemon over the top. It has happened multiple times. But the fact is, the voters here decided Greninja was broken. You can argue what the reason for that is, sure. But you can't argue the fact that, by Smogon suspect test standards, it is broken now.

On a different note, you talk about slippery slopes, but have yet to show how there is actually a continuum fallacy in play here. Slippery slopes are not inherently fallacious. A slippery slope argument is only fallacious if you fail to acknowledge intermediate results that are possible. And I don't think anyone here is not acknowledging that possibility. The DrizzleSwim ban is a perfect example of that. We did something that some people might think would open the door to a lot of other complex bans, but it didn't. We all know that is a possibility. What we do not all agree on though, is that such a case is likely, or even defensible in the current situation. Protean is not a playstyle wide issue, as Agent Gibbs has gone over. There is no real reason here to do this for Greninja, and not do similar things for all other uber Pokemon. While we can acknowledge that we can technically ban Protean and not do anything to nerf other mons, we can't see any way to logically defend such a practice. And, so, despite the possibility for intermediate results, if we stick to a single, objective standard of how to handle bans, allowing for such a ban would indeed be heading down a slippery slope, past all the possible intermediates. You could obviously stop at one of these intermediate steps if you throw subjective judgement into things, but then really, that's just the same thing as saying "Greninja gets special treatment because its a fan favorite."

Last edited:

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Gengarite is not comparable to Protean. We already decided at the beginning of the generation the Mega Pokemon were going to be treated as separate from their normal forms for the purposes of tiering because of how incredibly different they generally are from their normal forms and for the fact that their identity is literally defined by the Mega stone. If you have an issue with that, you can take it up with the OU Council.

As for the other two, I've already explained how drastically different DrizzleSwim was and why it is not comparable. In a similar manner to DrizzleSwim, Baton Pass was something that encompassed an entire team style, not just one single Pokemon. Again, neither of these are cases where we try to neuter a Pokemon just to keep it in OU like this Greninja deal is.
They are all examples of how we did what was actually necessary in the interests of being the least restrictive, ideals voiced by people like you and Oglemi in this thread. Of course banning an Ability by letter is going to be incomparable in some specific regard, and that's because we've never done it before. This doesn't mean we shouldn't seriously consider it, which, again, is precisely why I titled this thread as such and not "We should suspect/ban Protean and not Greninja"

I really don't get what your point here is or how this even makes sense. The addition of Gunk Shot and Low Kick to its movepool pushed it over the edge because those two moves helped contribute to the whole of Greninja in such a manner that it became broken. I honestly don't see how the fact that Greninja took a while to get banned means that it wasn't broken.
My point is you can't cite other users of Protean and their "obvious" unbrokenness as evidence to Protean Greninja being broken when Protean Greninja wasn't broken until ORAS. The actual obvious thing is the ORAS changes that gave it Gunk Shot and Low Kick. I'm not advocating the banishment of those moves because banning those moves on Greninja would actually be somewhat arbitrary and convoluted, since the moves themselves are nowhere near broken given their wide distribution and long history in competitive play. Protean is markedly different given its newness to competitive play and extremely limited sample size in OU, which is again a really common sense observation, and this is why I wondered why banning Protean and not Greninja had been seriously considered.

Again, the Sand Veil ban affected a lot more than just one problematic Pokemon, and we already had the Evasion Clause in which many believed the ability should have been included in the first place. Plus, it's a luck-based ability, and we have acted many times to limit these sorts of factors. Protean is not a problem with more than one Pokemon, it does not have a preceding clause to be included as a part of, and it is not luck-based. Sand Veil actually was the problem, Protean is not. It's not comparable.
And again it doesn't really mean anything when you say "but this is different!" every time you're trying to make an argument. This is necessarily different, or someone would have realized it's the exact same thing as Sand Veil or King's Shield and I wouldn't make a thread asking why x thing hasn't been considered instead of y thing that is always out default consideration. I maintain that the similarities warrant serious consideration, especially given the stated (and not by me) importance our councils place on "the least restrictions", a desirable metagame, and simple rules.

But do you know what the difference was? The people who wanted to change policy in the past made compelling cases for why the changes should take place. They didn't just say, "We should make this change because it makes sense to me and you can't give me a good enough reason to not do it."
I didn't "just say" that either. Again, the title of this thread is a very carefully and deliberately worded question, and not "We should suspect/ban Protean and not Greninja".

My attitude here isn't that we should just leave the status quo alone for the sake of leaving it alone. My attitude is that before we start trying to change the way we run our bans and suspect tests, you first need to present compelling arguments as to why and address the counterarguments rather than running forward with a bunch of "Why not?"s and giving me speeches about how weak minded, close minded, etc. you think my point of view is.
You, Oglemi and Haunter have already presented my case for me, having stated the importance our councils place on "the least restrictions", a desirable metagame, and simple rules. My resulting argument, therefore, has logically posited that serious consideration of banning Protean and not Greninja would have revealed that it is possible to keep all of these three ideals intact if we had indeed suspected/banned Protean and not Greninja.

All you have really proven is that if we banned Protean, Greninja would not be broken. That's pretty obvious. It's also obvious that if Greninja didn't have its great speed stat, it wouldn't be broken. If it didn't have its ORAS tutor moves, it likely wouldn't be broken. The point still remains that there is no one thing that breaks Greninja, and trying to pick Protean out and say it's the real problem is completely arbitrary.
"Completely arbitrary" is a sloppy exaggeration especially given what Haunter has said about the "next to no usage" he anticipates Greninja would have in OU if Protean were banned and not Greninja. I've already stated why the straws that broke the frog's back in Low Kick and Gunk Shot would and should not be seriously considered as suspects on Greninja (or otherwise), and am intimately familiar that Pokemon are complete packages. I'm just also familiar with the stated ideals of our council (because I essentially asked for them instead of saying "We should suspect/ban Protean and not Greninja"). And, again, I'm arguing that banning Protean instead of Greninja would have allowed us to stay true to these ideals, regardless of any differences this unique case necessarily has with past policy.

I'm sorry, I simply don't see how saying the phrase "weak-minded" is crap is more offensive than actually calling someone "weak-minded." I really don't.
I already stated that it's different when it's levied at a specific person. It really isn't a big deal because you've largely demonstrated yourself as one who is capable of debating without resorting to insults, and nobody has thicker skin than me (especially after dealing with Pokemon policy in Gen IV without any trails blazed for myself and Aeolus), but I thought I'd point it out anyway (also because I respond to everything a person says when debating).

So what you're saying here is that if someone actually did present a case for a level cap well enough, then we should actually consider it? So correct me if I'm wrong, but you're basically dismissing the idea of any kind of slippery slope and then at the same time acknowledging that such a thing is perfectly possible. Is that what I'm gathering?
If you're gathering that then you're doing so mistakenly. I am saying that you are preemptively deciding that "a given case" is without merit, completely closing the door—and your ears—to any scenario where a policy change that you personally think is without merit actually has merit.

The merit of "level caps" specifically could not be farther from the point, so I did not and will not engage you on it—why would I? You inserted some arbitrary strawman as an example of a policy idea that someone could possibly articulate an valid argument about, which itself does not make logical sense unless you actually think being well-written and a savvy debater matters much in policy suggestions that aren't trollish.

There's a huge difference between open-mindedness and trying to make policy decisions without first proving why it's necessary or considering the consquences.

When Garchomp was banned in DPP, it was the first time we had banned a non-legendary Pokemon from the standard metagame (besides the unique case with Wobbuffet, of course). Now, I wasn't very involved in the discussion around that time, but I imagine there were people making similar slippery slope arguments. And you know what? If they were, they were dead right. After Garchomp came Salamence, followed by several similar bans in the 5th and 6th generations. However, do you know what the difference was? There was a legitimate problem with OU. Garchomp was running the metagame in a manner deemed unhealthy by the community, so it was determined that we needed a policy change in order to deal with the problem at hand. This was a policy change that was necessary for the health of the metagame and was well worth breaking the status quo.
I'm going to phrase this in as polite and unassuming a manner as I can, because this paragraph and your other "do you remember"s read like you genuinely have no idea what my experience is despite me qualifying many of my comments—are you still not aware that I ran Pokemon policy for the entirety of Generation 4? There is not one person in the world who can lay better claim to the otherwise unimpressive and borderline depressing distinction of "Garchomp Policy expert". I wish I could forget it. Again, this is absolutely nothing to brag about, but your decision to write this long history lesson instead of saying a much more efficient—and effective—"You remember Garchomp in DP obviously, and this would be just like that because...."

That said, you're wrong. Salamence was decided on much differently from Garchomp and represented nothing close to a slippery slope. Aeolus and myself appointed a nine-member council to decide on Salamence, compared to Suspect Test Stages, after Platinum tutors granted it Outrage. As you've already observed, the uncompetitive Sand Veil was a significant factor in Garchomp's banishment, where Salamence was offed on competitive merit alone.

The difference here is that you have yet to provide a compelling case as to why this is necessary. It's not just close-mindedness, it's the fact that a Protean ban (and similar treatment for other bans) is unnecessary and not worth the potential consequences that could follow. Leaving Greninja as a whole in Ubers is in no way going to damage the OU metagame in such a way that leaving Garchomp in OU during DPP would have. In DPP, the problem we were facing was so large that we really couldn't afford to maintain the status quo. That is nowhere near the problem that we face now.
"Leaving Greninja as a whole in Ubers" has no bearing on the OU metagame—that's like saying nobody will use Gallade in OU if it's banned from UU. A better argument is that leaving Greninja in OU with Torrent will have less of an impact on OU than banning Greninja outright will. You have yet to present a compelling case as to why it was necessary to ban Greninja and not just Protean, given the three ideals that have been posted in this thread could all easily still be observed (and slippery slope isn't a compelling argument as I have stated).

I don't get what you mean here either. Of course suspecting Greninja requires a burden of proof. That's why we hold suspect tests in the first place and spend weeks holding discussions and running suspect ladder tests in order to decide whether or not the Pokemon actually deserves to be banned. However, there is another status quo here, and that is the decision to suspect a single Pokemon rather than picking through its characteristics and trying to find a way to nerf it. Not only is this the way that we decided to start this particular test, but this is the way we have always handled our single Pokemon bans. So yes, suspecting Greninja requires a burden of proof, and you can read through the suspect threads if you want to see that proof. However, changing the way in which we address an otherwise pretty routine ban also requires a similar burden, and I have yet to see a significant reason as to why we need to change this policy, much less why it's so important in the case of Greninja.
This isn't a routine ban for the same reason it is markedly different from Garchomp, or Baton Pass, or Swift Swim + Drizzle. This case presented a unique opportunity to preserve a Pokemon while adhering to our ideals, and I don't think this occurred to us before adhering to the status quo way we usually ban Pokemon.

They are all examples of how we did what was actually necessary in the interests of being the least restrictive, ideals voiced by people like you and Oglemi in this thread. Of course banning an Ability by letter is going to be incomparable in some specific regard, and that's because we've never done it before. This doesn't mean we shouldn't seriously consider it, which, again, is precisely why I titled this thread as such and not "We should suspect/ban Protean and not Greninja"
Well, to be honest, if we weren't giving it serious consideration, then this thread would have probably been locked on the spot lol.

At any rate, we have banned abilities before. That's the thing. This has been an issue in the past with examples like Moody and Sand Veil, but the difference was that those abilities helped to make more than just one Pokemon a problem. Moody could be broken on basically everything if the user got lucky enough, and I've already explained the issues surrounding Sand Veil. Protean does not have the same problem. Protean is not broken.

My point is you can't cite other users of Protean and their "obvious" unbrokenness as evidence to Protean Greninja being broken when Protean Greninja wasn't broken until ORAS. The actual obvious thing is the ORAS changes that gave it Gunk Shot and Low Kick. I'm not advocating the banishment of those moves because banning those moves on Greninja would actually be somewhat arbitrary and convoluted, since the moves themselves are nowhere near broken given their wide distribution and long history in competitive play. Protean is markedly different given its newness to competitive play and extremely limited sample size in OU, which is again a really common sense observation, and this is why I wondered why banning Protean and not Greninja had been seriously considered.
I actually have a couple of issues with this paragraph. First, you seem to be making this logical process: Protean Greninja was not broken until ORAS -> Protean Greninja was not the only problem -> it became a problem after it received Gunk Shot and Low Kick -> banning Gunk Shot and Low Kick would be wrong because the moves outside of Greninja are not a problem -> we should ban Protean instead. So despite the fact that you imply that Protean Greninja alone was not the problem, and despite the fact that Protean is not a problem outside of Greninja (the same reasoning you used to dismiss a Gunk Shot / Low Kick ban), you still want to ban Protean. I get that your justification for this is that Protean is fairly new and has a small distribution, but I fail to see how this is relevant. Regardless of how long the ability has been around or how many Pokemon have it, only one abuser is broken. Protean, again, is not the issue.

And again it doesn't really mean anything when you say "but this is different!" every time you're trying to make an argument. This is necessarily different, or someone would have realized it's the exact same thing as Sand Veil or King's Shield and I wouldn't make a thread asking why x thing hasn't been considered instead of y thing that is always out default consideration. I maintain that the similarities warrant serious consideration, especially given the stated (and not by me) importance our councils place on "the least restrictions", a desirable metagame, and simple rules.
I say it's different because it's simply different. DrizzleSwim, Baton Pass, Sand Veil, Moody, none of these are comparable for a host of reasons, which I've already explained. You know which bans are comparable? Blaziken, Excadrill, Darkrai, Skymin, Aegislash, all of these are comparable examples of Pokemon that were banned arguably because of one main factor. In fact, basically all of these except Blaziken could have been worked around with a simple ban that would have removed the primary factor without affecting any other relevant Pokemon (although Excadril would have eventually had issues once Sandslash and Stoutland got Sand Rush). How did we handle these bans? Greninja is not some special little snowflake with a conundrum like we've never seen before. We have had suspects that found themselves in similar situations, and each time, we banned the Pokemon as a whole.

You, Oglemi and Haunter have already presented my case for me, having stated the importance our councils place on "the least restrictions", a desirable metagame, and simple rules. My resulting argument, therefore, has logically posited that serious consideration of banning Protean and not Greninja would have revealed that it is possible to keep all of these three ideals intact if we had indeed suspected/banned Protean and not Greninja.
I'm going to tag Haunter and Oglemi in case they want to respond to this, because neither of them explicitly told you that our suspect tests are determined by those three guidelines and nothing more. For one thing, you're forgetting perhaps the most important principle behind our suspect testing: banning the actual problem. If all you're going off of is whether or not a ban carries little restriction, benefits the metagame, and is simple rather than complex, then there are a whole host of bans that you could come up with that would fit those three rules. You could probably ban quite a few dangerous Pokemon and the metagame might technically improve due to the reduced pressure on teambuilding, but the banned Pokemon may not necessarily be broken at all. The principle of only banning what's actually broken is very important and is the driving force behind our suspect tests.

Now, let's look at what Oglemi actually said in his first post:

Oglemi said:
The main argument boils down to banning what is least restrictive. Precedent in this case being Blaziken. The major part that made Blaziken broken was Speed Boost (and subsequently its Mega Evolution, but still Speed Boost). The reason Blaziken itself was banned was because it was the least restrictive ban possible; banning Speed Boost restricts a few other Pokemon from being used to their full non-broken potential (Sharpedo mostly, but Yanmega/Ninjask/etc. as well). So it was clear that Blaziken + Speed Boost was the broken factor, but that creates a complex ban which are generally unwanted (a point that's still debated, but policy-wise was determined at the beginning of BW, especially during the Drizzle+Swift Swim ban, to be the most desirable).
There are several points to be made here:

A) Blaziken was a broken Pokemon and presented a problem for the OU metagame.
B) Speed Boost was the major part of Blaziken's being that made it broken.
C) Speed Boost was not broken on several other users, regardless of relevance, and banning it would hurt their potential.
D) Blaziken + Speed Boost was the main broken factor, but we didn't want to get into complex bans.
E) Blaziken as a whole was banned.

Stemming from this, we can logically conclude that even though Protean may be the major part that makes Greninja broken, the fact that it is not broken on other users and hurts their overall potential means that, like Speed Boost, Protean is not what needs to be banned. Again, a Protean ban would still be arguably even more restrictive since it affects 4 times as many Pokemon, a fact that Oglemi also stated in a later post, but that's a side note. If anything, Greninja + Protean would be the main problem (or Greninja + Gunk Shot or Greninja + base 122 Speed or something, but I digress), but as Oglemi stated here, we have made it a point to avoid complex bans. Now, I get that you disagree with that. You stated earlier that you thought Blaziken + Speed Boost should have been the ban, and that's another conversation entirely. However, it does not appear that Oglemi (or even Haunter, for that matter) has presented your case in the way you say he has, especially since he offers several arguments that counteract the points that you're trying to derive from his very posts.

"Completely arbitrary" is a sloppy exaggeration especially given what Haunter has said about the "next to no usage" he anticipates Greninja would have in OU if Protean were banned and not Greninja. I've already stated why the straws that broke the frog's back in Low Kick and Gunk Shot would and should not be seriously considered as suspects on Greninja (or otherwise), and am intimately familiar that Pokemon are complete packages. I'm just also familiar with the stated ideals of our council (because I essentially asked for them instead of saying "We should suspect/ban Protean and not Greninja"). And, again, I'm arguing that banning Protean instead of Greninja would have allowed us to stay true to these ideals, regardless of any differences this unique case necessarily has with past policy.
It's not an exaggeration to say that your idea is arbitrary. Greninja is a sum of many parts, as you seem to understand, and picking out Protean of all its tools as the target for a ban is arbitrary. Maybe it is the most obvious choice, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right one because you cannot say what exactly makes Greninja broken of all the tools at its disposal. I think one thing is obvious: you are not arguing for a Protean ban because Protean is actually a broken ability, and the more I think about it, the more this sounds like exploiting a loophole to keep Greninja out of Ubers.

I already stated that it's different when it's levied at a specific person. It really isn't a big deal because you've largely demonstrated yourself as one who is capable of debating without resorting to insults, and nobody has thicker skin than me (especially after dealing with Pokemon policy in Gen IV without any trails blazed for myself and Aeolus), but I thought I'd point it out anyway (also because I respond to everything a person says when debating).
I'm sorry if you thought I was calling you crap because I wasn't. However, I still do not take kindly to being called "weak-minded" or seeing that sort of insult leveled at anyone. I'd rather those sorts of tactics be left out of these discussions altogether.

If you're gathering that then you're doing so mistakenly. I am saying that you are preemptively deciding that "a given case" is without merit, completely closing the door—and your ears—to any scenario where a policy change that you personally think is without merit actually has merit.

The merit of "level caps" specifically could not be farther from the point, so I did not and will not engage you on it—why would I? You inserted some arbitrary strawman as an example of a policy idea that someone could possibly articulate an valid argument about, which itself does not make logical sense unless you actually think being well-written and a savvy debater matters much in policy suggestions that aren't trollish.
Hey, I'm not the one here talking about the "stupidity" or "lack of common sense" in level caps. It is posters defending your point of view that have dismissed the merit of such rules, stating that bans like Protean + Greninja and Speed Boost + Blaziken would never lead to "ridiculous" bans like level caps. My point about level caps is simply that you could easily argue for level caps as potential nerfs just like you could move or level bans. The only reason you might need someone to articulate a well enough argument is simply that level caps sound "weirder" than ability or move bans, so you'd need someone who can get people past that attitude so that they could discuss the merits of such a nerf. Not that I think any of these nerfs are good ideas, mind you. Of course, if you're not one of the people in question that think that level caps are stupid or whatever, then this doesn't really apply to you.

As an aside, the level cap comment was simply a passing mention in a larger point. Don't look too much into it.

I'm going to phrase this in as polite and unassuming a manner as I can, because this paragraph and your other "do you remember"s read like you genuinely have no idea what my experience is despite me qualifying many of my comments—are you still not aware that I ran Pokemon policy for the entirety of Generation 4? There is not one person in the world who can lay better claim to the otherwise unimpressive and borderline depressing distinction of "Garchomp Policy expert". I wish I could forget it. Again, this is absolutely nothing to brag about, but your decision to write this long history lesson instead of saying a much more efficient—and effective—"You remember Garchomp in DP obviously, and this would be just like that because...."
Of course I know who you are, and I respect your experience as both a leader in this community and as a policy maker in the past. However, you're not the only one reading this thread. I explained the details because there are likely tons of newer players reading this discussion that would be very confused if I just said, "Hey, remember the deal with Garchomp in DPP? Yeah, well, this is like that."

That said, you're wrong. Salamence was decided on much differently from Garchomp and represented nothing close to a slippery slope. Aeolus and myself appointed a nine-member council to decide on Salamence, compared to Suspect Test Stages, after Platinum tutors granted it Outrage. As you've already observed, the uncompetitive Sand Veil was a significant factor in Garchomp's banishment, where Salamence was offed on competitive merit alone.
Regardless of how the ban was handled, Salamence was banned. Any arguments about Garchomp's ban leading to similar Pokemon bans (i.e. slippery slope arguments similar to what I and many others have mentioned) were correct. Whether it was suspect tests or council decisions (and we did shift between the two in BW as well), several Pokemon were banned in a manner similar to Garchomp. But regardless, the point is that a policy change was implemented because the metagame actually needed it. This is not the case with Protean.

"Leaving Greninja as a whole in Ubers" has no bearing on the OU metagame—that's like saying nobody will use Gallade in OU if it's banned from UU. A better argument is that leaving Greninja in OU with Torrent will have less of an impact on OU than banning Greninja outright will. You have yet to present a compelling case as to why it was necessary to ban Greninja and not just Protean, given the three ideals that have been posted in this thread could all easily still be observed (and slippery slope isn't a compelling argument as I have stated).
I never used the word "bearing" in my post at all, so please don't put words in my mouth (or on my keyboard, as it were). What I said is that keeping Greninja in Ubers will not damage the metagame like leaving Garchomp in OU would have. Unlike the case with DPP Garchomp, refusing to change our policy is not going to cause harm to the metagame by leaving a broken Pokemon in the metagame. Yes, changing our policy in this case would let us play with a strongly nerfed Greninja in OU, but I do not see this as nearly enough of a reason to change our policy and face the potential consequences.

Speaking of which, the whole deal with the slippery slope arguments in the first place is the consequences of such bans. As jas61292 has explained, slippery slopes are not always fallacies. In fact, a slippery slope is a legitimate logical device when used correctly. Dismissing such arguments as logical fallacies when in fact they are not being used in a fallacious manner also means trying to ignore the consequences of implementing a certain policy decision, and that is a very dangerous way to approach these sorts of issues. I'll go ahead and link the Wikipedia article on slippery slopes because it does a good job of explaining what is and isn't a good slippery slope argument, which saves me a lot of trouble: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

As far as the case to ban Greninja rather than Protean goes, the answer is quite simple: Greninja is the problem and not Protean. Precedent is a powerful thing, and the precedent that exists now regarding single Pokemon bans is one in which we have always targeted the Pokemon as a whole rather than individual aspects of it. The burden is not on me to maintain this precedent but on you to change it.

This isn't a routine ban for the same reason it is markedly different from Garchomp, or Baton Pass, or Swift Swim + Drizzle. This case presented a unique opportunity to preserve a Pokemon while adhering to our ideals, and I don't think this occurred to us before adhering to the status quo way we usually ban Pokemon.
Again, this is only true if you assume that your aforementioned "ideals" are the only principles that govern our ban policy and if you ignore the equally (if not more) important principle of banning what is actually broken. And again, Greninja is not the first case of a Pokemon that was banned arguably because of one main tool, even if it's one that affects few (if any) relevant Pokemon outside of the suspect in question.

Okay, so this post was really long and I feel like I spent a lot of time repeating points that I've already made several times. The bottom line is that Greninja was banned because Greninja as a whole was a problem. Protean was not the problem in and of itself, and that should be obvious by the fact that only one Pokemon with the ability was even relevant in OU, much less broken. While banning Protean may be simple and arguably less restrictive, it also violates our policy of banning what is actually broken. I do not see the benefit of having Torrent Greninja in OU as a large enough benefit to change our policy like we have in past examples, and this decision would go against precedents that we have set several times with previous single Pokemon bans. Even in the case of complex bans, I believe that picking Protean out of Greninja's assets as the true breaking factor is arbitrary, and it is not worth the potential consequences that could arise if we were to head down that path (which, again, is not an inherently fallacious statement). I think that should summarize most of my points, so someone correct me if I missed something. If you have any more comments or questions, please respond, but I'm not sure what else I can say at this point (not to mention these posts seem to keep getting bigger and bigger, lol).

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
AG, you were making some strong points, but you were definitely grasping for straws in this last post :/

Well, to be honest, if we weren't giving it serious consideration, then this thread would have probably been locked on the spot lol.

At any rate, we have banned abilities before. That's the thing. This has been an issue in the past with examples like Moody and Sand Veil, but the difference was that those abilities helped to make more than just one Pokemon a problem. Moody could be broken on basically everything if the user got lucky enough, and I've already explained the issues surrounding Sand Veil. Protean does not have the same problem. Protean is not broken.
The past is irrelevant; this is a proposal for the future as jumpman stated before. Of course there is not going to be a whole lot of precedent supporting this (though drizzleswim does tread a bit close... and there was no precedent for that to happen either), hence the question posed in the OP.

I actually have a couple of issues with this paragraph. First, you seem to be making this logical process: Protean Greninja was not broken until ORAS -> Protean Greninja was not the only problem -> it became a problem after it received Gunk Shot and Low Kick -> banning Gunk Shot and Low Kick would be wrong because the moves outside of Greninja are not a problem -> we should ban Protean instead. So despite the fact that you imply that Protean Greninja alone was not the problem, and despite the fact that Protean is not a problem outside of Greninja (the same reasoning you used to dismiss a Gunk Shot / Low Kick ban), you still want to ban Protean. I get that your justification for this is that Protean is fairly new and has a small distribution, but I fail to see how this is relevant. Regardless of how long the ability has been around or how many Pokemon have it, only one abuser is broken. Protean, again, is not the issue.
Newness certainly is relevant. This is going to be based on two hypothetical scenarios because of the rarity, so bear with me please. Let us say that moody was released on two pokemon: Magikarp and some arbitrary averagemon. It would undoubtedly be found broken on the latter, but magikarp would be completely manageable. By precedent and current standards, the arbitrary mon, not moody, would be banned. Does that make moody less of an inherently broken of an ability? No, but we would be unable to come to that conclusion due to the incredibly small and different sample size (somewhat similar to kecleon vs greninja, or garchomp vs diglett).

The same can be applied to a hypothetical Huge Power. Forgive me if I am being presumptuous, but I think that it can be agreed upon that Huge Power is an inherently broken ability. This is remedied by only giving huge power to pokemon with otherwise poor stats (effectively cancelling the ability out). Given to a good majority of mons, it would certainly break them. If huge power was released for two mons, Azumarill and Mawile, for example, and mawile was found to be broken, then smogon would ban mawile by current standards, leaving huge power intact. What if another mon was released that was found to be broken by huge power? Would it be banned to? If we took the pokebase as is and added a few more broken huge power mons, would those mons get banned, even if they had other abilities? How many broken pokemon does it take for the ability itself to come into question, even if it is one that is deemed fine on most of its bearers?

Greninja's stats are wholly lackluster, aside from speed, and its movepool is great, but comparable to multiple other mons. If another suitable mon obtained protean and was found broken with it (many fast and/or moderately strong mons with decent movepools have good potential), would we ban those pokemon, or would we start to question protean? This thread is not pointing fingers at protean and saying that it is broken; it is asking why (especially given how new and poorly-distributed protean is, and how greninja's viability plummets without it) we are not even considering the possibility that it could be the issue.

I say it's different because it's simply different. DrizzleSwim, Baton Pass, Sand Veil, Moody, none of these are comparable for a host of reasons, which I've already explained. You know which bans are comparable? Blaziken, Excadrill, Darkrai, Skymin, Aegislash, all of these are comparable examples of Pokemon that were banned arguably because of one main factor. In fact, basically all of these except Blaziken could have been worked around with a simple ban that would have removed the primary factor without affecting any other relevant Pokemon (although Excadril would have eventually had issues once Sandslash and Stoutland got Sand Rush). How did we handle these bans? Greninja is not some special little snowflake with a conundrum like we've never seen before. We have had suspects that found themselves in similar situations, and each time, we banned the Pokemon as a whole.
The first sentence here is an absurd cop-out, and unrelated nonetheless. Correct me if I am wrong, but he is saying nothing more than that the similarities between the situations are significant (which they unarguably are). Precedent, once again, is irrelevant here. This is a plea for a new outlook on policy, of course the old policy is going to be different. The same questions apply(Why haven't we considered banning kings shield?). There was no precedent before banning garchomp in gen 4, there was no precedent for drizzle swim, there was no precedent for banning moody. In fact, there was no precedent for suspect testing as a whole. There was no precedent for black suffrage. There was no precedent for having a black president. There was no precedent for claiming that the earth revolved around the sun.

We are arguing a plea to observe new policy, so the path (or lack thereof) set by old policy is meaningless, and you should most certainly understand that.
[/quote]

I'm going to tag in case they want to respond to this, because neither of them explicitly told you that our suspect tests are determined by those three guidelines and nothing more. For one thing, you're forgetting perhaps the most important principle behind our suspect testing: banning the actual problem. If all you're going off of is whether or not a ban carries little restriction, benefits the metagame, and is simple rather than complex, then there are a whole host of bans that you could come up with that would fit those three rules. You could probably ban quite a few dangerous Pokemon and the metagame might technically improve due to the reduced pressure on teambuilding, but the banned Pokemon may not necessarily be broken at all. The principle of only banning what's actually broken is very important and is the driving force behind our suspect tests.

Now, let's look at what Oglemi actually said in his first post:

There are several points to be made here:

A) Blaziken was a broken Pokemon and presented a problem for the OU metagame.
B) Speed Boost was the major part of Blaziken's being that made it broken.
C) Speed Boost was not broken on several other users, regardless of relevance, and banning it would hurt their potential.
D) Blaziken + Speed Boost was the main broken factor, but we didn't want to get into complex bans.
E) Blaziken as a whole was banned.
You can nitpick all you want, but those were the three stated guildelines in this thread by the higher ups. The question, again, becomes: why is greninja the actual problem? What authority do you have to decide that? Why is it not gunk shot, or protean? In fact, it seems like going further into complex bans would much greater allow us to ban the "actual problem," because taking away gunk shot or especially protean removes the problem just as well.

Stemming from this, we can logically conclude that even though Protean may be the major part that makes Greninja broken, the fact that it is not broken on other users and hurts their overall potential means that, like Speed Boost, Protean is not what needs to be banned. Again, a Protean ban would still be arguably even more restrictive since it affects 4 times as many Pokemon, a fact that Oglemi also stated in a later post, but that's a side note. If anything, Greninja + Protean would be the main problem (or Greninja + Gunk Shot or Greninja + base 122 Speed or something, but I digress), but as Oglemi stated here, we have made it a point to avoid complex bans. Now, I get that you disagree with that. You stated earlier that you thought Blaziken + Speed Boost should have been the ban, and that's another conversation entirely. However, it does not appear that Oglemi (or even Haunter, for that matter) has presented your case in the way you say he has, especially since he offers several arguments that counteract the points that you're trying to derive from his very posts.
Refer to my hp/moody argument above as a response to the first part. A greninja ban would still be arguably more restrictive since it affects a significantly greater magnitude of overall "usages." And again, correct me if I'm wrong, but jumpman has argued nothing aside from "they stated these three characteristcs, this is a logical derivation from them." Differing interpretations/inconsistent logic could of course cause a disparity in conclusions, but I digress.

It's not an exaggeration to say that your idea is arbitrary. Greninja is a sum of many parts, as you seem to understand, and picking out Protean of all its tools as the target for a ban is arbitrary. Maybe it is the most obvious choice, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right one because you cannot say what exactly makes Greninja broken of all the tools at its disposal. I think one thing is obvious: you are not arguing for a Protean ban because Protean is actually a broken ability, and the more I think about it, the more this sounds like exploiting a loophole to keep Greninja out of Ubers.
What else could you take from greninja to nearly rid him of ou viability? Sure, you could make it hold iron ball or something of the sort, but that would be convoluted, and you know it. The most obvious choice => the potential removed characteristic certainly seems like a sound logical progression, and it is far from arbitrary.

He isn't arguing for a protean ban at all. He is arguing that we should consider that perhaps it may be the problem-factor and the better thing to scrutinize (same principle with other suspects). I don't think that it is being presumptuous in the slightest to claim that jumpman far from being a greninja fanboy.

I'm sorry if you thought I was calling you crap because I wasn't. However, I still do not take kindly to being called "weak-minded" or seeing that sort of insult leveled at anyone. I'd rather those sorts of tactics be left out of these discussions altogether.
Wasn't calling you weak-minded. Was saying that the slippery slope argument (in this context especially) is weak-minded. We have a perfectly able council that I'm sure will not allow anything ridiculous.

Hey, I'm not the one here talking about the "stupidity" or "lack of common sense" in level caps. It is posters defending your point of view that have dismissed the merit of such rules, stating that bans like Protean + Greninja and Speed Boost + Blaziken would never lead to "ridiculous" bans like level caps. My point about level caps is simply that you could easily argue for level caps as potential nerfs just like you could move or level bans. The only reason you might need someone to articulate a well enough argument is simply that level caps sound "weirder" than ability or move bans, so you'd need someone who can get people past that attitude so that they could discuss the merits of such a nerf. Not that I think any of these nerfs are good ideas, mind you. Of course, if you're not one of the people in question that think that level caps are stupid or whatever, then this doesn't really apply to you.

As an aside, the level cap comment was simply a passing mention in a larger point. Don't look too much into it.
You were though... you directly asked "so you would allow level caps if someone gave a good argument?" The point is that your thought process was to ignore the "good argument" part and immediately conclude that level caps are completely absurd end of story. If someone presents a very good case for anything, then it is worth considering, hence it being a very good case.

You could not "easily" argue level caps as potential nerfs, else it would be argued! You cannot easily argue anything that is not currently the status quo, hence why it isn't the status quo. A large part of this thread is begging the question as to why the merits of these controversial things are so quickly dismissed to begin with. It's not about greninja as much as it is open-mindedness.

Of course I know who you are, and I respect your experience as both a leader in this community and as a policy maker in the past. However, you're not the only one reading this thread. I explained the details because there are likely tons of newer players reading this discussion that would be very confused if I just said, "Hey, remember the deal with Garchomp in DPP? Yeah, well, this is like that."
sidenote: for your last few posts, I occasionally thought "does he have a clue who he is arguing with?" mostly because of the spattered history lessons and attempts to speculate the reasonings behind these past policy measures (like gen 4 garchomp), as if the actual logic wasn't right in front of you (I realize that this is poorly worded, but it's late ,so I apologize).

Regardless of how the ban was handled, Salamence was banned. Any arguments about Garchomp's ban leading to similar Pokemon bans (i.e. slippery slope arguments similar to what I and many others have mentioned) were correct. Whether it was suspect tests or council decisions (and we did shift between the two in BW as well), several Pokemon were banned in a manner similar to Garchomp. But regardless, the point is that a policy change was implemented because the metagame actually needed it. This is not the case with Protean.
Reading back on old policy review, it was heavily argued that garchomp really wasn't that bad, and people were, essentially, just being whiny (correct me if I'm wrong). Perhaps the metagame did not need it at that point either.

Regardless, this is an irrelevant comparison, because the metagame will never NEED us to change how we look at what to ban... it is completely unrelated to the metagame in that regard.

I never used the word "bearing" in my post at all, so please don't put words in my mouth (or on my keyboard, as it were). What I said is that keeping Greninja in Ubers will not damage the metagame like leaving Garchomp in OU would have. Unlike the case with DPP Garchomp, refusing to change our policy is not going to cause harm to the metagame by leaving a broken Pokemon in the metagame. Yes, changing our policy in this case would let us play with a strongly nerfed Greninja in OU, but I do not see this as nearly enough of a reason to change our policy and face the potential consequences.
This is honestly one of the most ridiculous arguments in the thread. Of course leaving greninja banned will not damage the metagame, but that doesn't make it ideal. Given how usually conservative with bans you are, you of all people should know that benefits the meta to any extend if banned =/= should ban, for one.

Even looking past that, perhaps letting greninja out of ubers w/o protean could benefit the metagame by offering another fast spiker for ou/uu to play with.

Speaking of which, the whole deal with the slippery slope arguments in the first place is the consequences of such bans. As jas61292 has explained, slippery slopes are not always fallacies. In fact, a slippery slope is a legitimate logical device when used correctly. Dismissing such arguments as logical fallacies when in fact they are not being used in a fallacious manner also means trying to ignore the consequences of implementing a certain policy decision, and that is a very dangerous way to approach these sorts of issues. I'll go ahead and link the Wikipedia article on slippery slopes because it does a good job of explaining what is and isn't a good slippery slope argument, which saves me a lot of trouble: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
This slippery slope is fallacious, as it is unreasonably presumptuous. As mentioned, the council is in place to prevent slippery slope from going too far. A new outlook on tiering policy leading to different "weird" bans is hardly a slippery slope to begin with... it is a natural logical progression.

As far as the case to ban Greninja rather than Protean goes, the answer is quite simple: Greninja is the problem and not Protean. Precedent is a powerful thing, and the precedent that exists now regarding single Pokemon bans is one in which we have always targeted the Pokemon as a whole rather than individual aspects of it. The burden is not on me to maintain this precedent but on you to change it.
Once again, says who? And precedent is powerful, sure, but it is irrelevant, since the whole purpose of this thread is to challenge the precedent. This has been addressed many times.

Again, this is only true if you assume that your aforementioned "ideals" are the only principles that govern our ban policy and if you ignore the equally (if not more) important principle of banning what is actually broken. And again, Greninja is not the first case of a Pokemon that was banned arguably because of one main tool, even if it's one that affects few (if any) relevant Pokemon outside of the suspect in question.
Also once again, how do you know what is actually broken? Is the idea of banning what is broken not better encompassed by a complex ban of protean+greninja (because greninja is otherwise far from broken)? Being the first means absolutely nothing; everything was a first at one point (because precedent is irrelevant when trying to change that precedent...)

I'm terribly sorry, but I after sifting through the majority of the arguments aiming to explain why mon + ability cannot be allowed (where applicable and in cases where indeed the combination is the cause of brokenness/uberness) I only find these following explanations:

"Terrible", "No precedent", "Not desirable", "Only done once", "least restrictive" and "closest to cartridge rules".

Most of these either are contradictory (plenty of precedents and more than once, and when done no one said they were terrible), subjective (I'm pretty sure if a poll is done will show you it's not reflecting the wider communities views) or just plain doesn't make sense.

Least restrictive? How is effectively banning a pokemon to a tier where it will see almost no usage less restrictive while at the same time denying the lower tiers any chance of using the pokemon with its other abilities? Who gave OU the right to deny UU or elsewhere the right to use Torrent Greninja? I'm really surprised I'm not seeing the tier leaders coming around here with guns blazing. I'm not even gonna point to usage and show how UU pokemon have healthy usage in OU.

Cartridge rules? Can we not capture a Greninja knowing fully well it will have torrent as its final ability and easily separate it from Protean Greninjas? How are we violating the game here? I mean more so than what we are doing now anyway...

Do we lack the technical ability to implement these "complex" bans swiftly and effortlessly? Seeing how we have OMs where we are implementing 16 type Stealth rocks and other batshit crazy stuff, I'm gonna so no, we can do this easy breezy.

So what exactly is the issue here?

I'm just going to respond to this bit at the moment.

He isn't arguing for a protean ban at all. He is arguing that we should consider that perhaps it may be the problem-factor and the better thing to scrutinize (same principle with other suspects). I don't think that it is being presumptuous in the slightest to claim that jumpman far from being a greninja fanboy.

A large part of this thread is begging the question as to why the merits of these controversial things are so quickly dismissed to begin with. It's not about greninja as much as it is open-mindedness.
If this is true and the primary question of this thread is why we haven't considered it, then in my own opinion, it is simply because the conditions at hand are not perceived to be drastic enough to warrant a change of policy. In the specific case of Protean, Protean was quite simply not believed to be broken on its own, and so when Greninja rose up as a problematic Pokemon that warranted a suspect test, we went with the usual solution of suspecting Greninja rather than a specific part of it. That policy can be changed, but such a change requires significant reasoning. Now, I want to make one thing clear, because some of your previous comments about how "ridiculous" or "absurd" you thought my arguments were came from a lack of proper context. The point I made about Greninja not damaging the metagame (i.e. what you called "one of the most ridiculous arguments in the thread") was not meant to be a standalone argument. If it were, you'd be right. However, it is simply a counterargument made to contrast changing policy in response to Garchomp to changing policy in response to Greninja, that difference being that refusing to change policy in response to Garchomp would have damaged the metagame in such a way that refusing to change policy in response to Greninja would not have. You absolutely must take that point in context in order for it to make sense. Similar things can be said about Moody, Baton Pass, DrizzleSwim, etc., bans that have been brought up by more people than just myself. Whenever policy has been changed in the past, we've had legitimate reasons that outweighed the consequences, so the reason that Protean was not even considered is because this was not perceived to be the case. This thread is your (and jumpman's) chance to present that case, although I personally have not seen solid enough reasoning to convince me that banning Protean rather than Greninja is even necessary and worth the potential consequences (please read jas61292's earlier post regarding the slippery slope, because he has already answered your concerns regarding slippery slopes and fallacies much better than I could).

Now you'll have to forgive me for stopping there, but that's all I'm going to have time for right now. I'm going to be caught up with a lot of course work, job work, and volunteer work for the next few days, so I'm not going to have time to sit down and write out another wall of text for a while. If Sunday evening comes around and this thread is still open (and if I still give a crap by then), I'll answer the rest of your post more in-depth.

EDIT: One more thing, real quick. What actually is the purpose of this thread? Because if the purpose is merely to ask why Greninja was chosen as a suspect rather than Protean, then I believe that question has been answered well enough already. Whether or not you agree with the reasoning is another story. However, if you're actually advocating for a policy change starting with Protean vs Greninja, then I honestly think this discussion would be more suited to a Policy Review thread expanded to include all such bans and their merits/issues, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
I'm kinda intimidated by these previous mega posts, so I'll try to keep mine short and to the point. In Greninja's case, I honestly believe that banning the Pokemon as a whole was the best option. It had three things going for it: Protean, its base Speed, and its movepool. Now i wasn't even around to vote on Greninja, and never played with it, so I really don't have an opinion on whther it should have been banned or not. I am however a firm believer in never banning something that isn't itself broken or uncompetitive. One may argue that Protean is a broken ability (I really doubt it) but it's not all Greninja had going for it. Its base Speed and movepool (specifically the moves it gained in ORAS) are certainly as much a contributing factor to its ban as Protean. Since Protean Greninja was manageable pre-ORAS (I know some people disagree, but honestly now that's neiher here nor there) we have to look at what changed: access to Gunk Shot and Low Kick. Of course, these new moves are directly tied to Protean in that Greninja wouldn't be broken with them and without its ability, but as we saw from XY, nor would it having Protean and lacking these moves be overpowered. It's the conjunction of the two that causes the issue, and since I, as a hypothetical voter, do not consider Protean a broken ability (if it were, any Pokemon with it could possibly be broken, and Kecleon most certainly is not), and do not have the possibilty of enforcing a ban on move(s) + Pokemon (this should never ever happen), I'm only left with the choice to ban Greninja as a whole, and rightly so, as it's a coming together of three different factors that make it broken.

Of course, an argument like this can't help being subjective, because you need to be happy with banning something non-broken in order to keep Pokemon bans themselves to a minimum. I'm not, so therefore I supported the Greninja ban (from the way it was carried out, at least, as again I myself don't have an opinion on if it was too much for the tier. From the looks of it, it was though).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)