Miltank @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy/Sap Sipper/Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Milk Drink

alright m8s so this set is fairly simple and very effective. life orb makes miltank surprisingly strong and can surprise a lot of teams as they usually expect a curse set or just a standard defensive tank. the ability is up to choice, i prefer scrappy to surprise the hell out of rotom and mismagius, through sap sipper and thick fat definitely has uses. power-up punch and return are mandatory moves while fire punch lets you kill ferroseed. milk drink is what sets it apart from kangaskhan giving it reliable recovery and due to miltank's natural bulk you can usually get milk drink off pretty safely. imo very fun and very effective set would recommend trying it.
Offensive Miltank isn't underrated, it's outclassed. Not only is just a weaker than offensive normal type counterparts, and it loses out on the variety of support options other Miltank have access to that really set them apart. Miltank is actually incredibly weak in comparison to the likes of Kangakshan, Tauros, Zangoose, etc. all of which who should be considered prior to it.
With only 80 attack, Miltank must go for Power-Up Punch or carry Double Edge [which just kills Miltank way too quickly in tangent with LO] to deal significant damage as an underwhelming wallbreaker who is frankly worn down rather quickly, giving up a free turn to opponents. It isn't that the set is bad, it just barely has a niche outside of "surprise factor" that sets it apart from a slew of other NU pokemon.

Calcs:
252 Atk Life Orb Miltank Return vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 157-187 (45.2 - 53.8%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 208-246 (59.9 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 208-246 (59.9 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Kecleon Return vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 187-220 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 345-406 (99.4 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Guts Swellow Facade (140 BP) vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 256-303 (73.7 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Just a head on comparison, Miltank is incredibly weak, and can't even argue speed as it could in BW due to a much faster metagame.

Last edited:
I've got a set to share today:

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Looks gimmicky but being a physical attacker that doesn't fear Scald is nice and you actually hit pretty hard with base 95 attack, LO and P-u-P. Also nobody expects offensive Toad so getting a free P-u-P isn't too difficult, and then you just sweep with STAB EQ and Knock Off/Ice Punch for stuff that's in the air. For teammates I like to use Bouffalant because Toad is Vileplume bait so you can usually get a free +1 attack. I also have Relicanth to lure in Vileplume with CB Head Smash and deal with stuff like Swellow and Kangaskhan. Just don't use this set on a Rain team with Swift Swim as Toad has no physical Water-STAB whatsoever and it's just bad. Also Floatzel doesn't outclass this because it lacks Knock Off, loses to Scarf Rotom and is as frail as it gets so yeah.

Calcs:
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 282-333 (86.7 - 102.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Seismitoad Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mesprit: 351-413 (116.6 - 137.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Seismitoad Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Uxie: 291-343 (82.2 - 96.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (if you hit it with P-u-P it's guaranteed)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Vileplume: 231-273 (65.2 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

I've got a set to share today:

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Looks gimmicky but being a physical attacker that doesn't fear Scald is nice and you actually hit pretty hard with base 95 attack, LO and P-u-P. Also nobody expects offensive Toad so getting a free P-u-P isn't too difficult, and then you just sweep with STAB EQ and Knock Off/Ice Punch for stuff that's in the air. For teammates I like to use Bouffalant because Toad is Vileplume bait so you can usually get a free +1 attack. I also have Relicanth to lure in Vileplume with CB Head Smash and deal with stuff like Swellow and Kangaskhan. Just don't use this set on a Rain team with Swift Swim as Toad has no physical Water-STAB whatsoever and it's just bad. Also Floatzel doesn't outclass this because it lacks Knock Off, loses to Scarf Rotom and is as frail as it gets so yeah.

Calcs:
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 282-333 (86.7 - 102.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Seismitoad Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mesprit: 351-413 (116.6 - 137.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Seismitoad Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Uxie: 291-343 (82.2 - 96.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (if you hit it with P-u-P it's guaranteed)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Vileplume: 231-273 (65.2 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
He has good typing but i dont think it can work with that underwhelming speed. You are better off just spending those stats in Bulk .I think life orb doenst let you switch as much as you want and leftovers could be better. Even if you mange a kill somethign faster will come and reveng you easily. Power up punch is pretty cool but with that speed that boost is not of great help. However this is definetly my favorite phsical offensive Rain Seismitoad set.

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Hey just figured I'd post a fun and surprisingly annoyingly viable set I've been using with anti-lead Jynx (I'm sure many of you have already seen me use it)

Dont Jynx it (Jynx) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Forewarn
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 Def
- Counter
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam/Psyshock/Eball/
- Magic Coat

Pretty much you can magic coat on rocks/taunt/spikes almost guaranteeing you have rocks/spikes/stop taunt archeops or whatever if they don't expect it. If you think they know about the power that is Counter Jynx you can just lovely kiss then and smother their team with hax.
Or if they are the feisty type you can just go for counter turn 1 and bop em. (Water absorb works over forewarn too, I just like gettin a sneak peak at my opponents movesets ;))

Here is a cute replay of Jynxy (ignore the other cancer mons)- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-200120532
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-200120532
Edit: Another replay- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-199177968
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-199177968
Deejity DyDy

Last edited:
Hey just figured I'd post a fun and surprisingly annoyingly viable set I've been using with anti-lead Jynx (I'm sure many of you have already seen me use it)

Dont Jynx it (Jynx) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Forewarn
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 Def
- Counter
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam/Psyshock/Eball/
- Magic Coat

Pretty much you can magic coat on rocks/taunt/spikes almost guaranteeing you have rocks/spikes/stop taunt archeops or whatever if they don't expect it. If you think they know about the power that is Counter Jynx you can just lovely kiss then and smother their team with hax.
Or if they are the feisty type you can just go for counter turn 1 and bop em. (Water absorb works over forewarn too, I just like gettin a sneak peak at my opponents movesets ;))

Here is a cute replay of Jynxy (ignore the other cancer mons)- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-200120532

Deejity DyDy
Cool set but I see very little reasons to use your set over the standard lead sash set with Lovely kiss, Ice beam, Focus blast and Energy ball. Magic coat is pretty gimmicky and prediction heavy beacause Jynx is a big ass threat so people would rather attack it. Counter is pretty sick though and reminds me of sash counter cacturne which is also a great spikes lead.

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice / Nature Power
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Psychic / Hidden Power [Fire]

I've been using this thing so much at the moment, simply because it is so damned good. Its incredibly anti-meta and picks apart nearly every defensive core that exists 2HKOing nearly all switchins, especially due to the insane power of Refrigerate Hyper Voice or Freeze Dry, ensuring that nothing can safely switchin without taking at least 50%. Even Hariyama cannot come in on the raw power of Aurorus without easily getting 2HKOed by Psychic, making it the ultimate wallbreaker. Adding onto its amazing offensive utility, it has a useable speed in a somewhat slow metagame at the moment, and alongside pretty stellar bulk, it is a monster that in my experience wrecks most teams, especially since they are so unprepared.
It fucking 2HKOes Audino with Hyper Voice where is the switchin even oml.
Also it shits on sand.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 207-244 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 366-432 (105.4 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Klinklang: 306-362 (116.7 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega-Camerupt: 181-214 (52.6 - 62.2%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega-Steelix: 195-229 (55 - 64.6%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 270-318 (54.8 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

no need to post SE calcs cause lol ded

More innovation coming to theatres 2015:

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Evs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Nature : Timid
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Rock
- Substitute / Gastro Acid

Do I even have to explain? ok maybe i do. Serperior recently got its hidden ability, which means it has a boosting leaf storm. Broken IKR? Anyways giga drain is there to offset the damage from life orb/sub recoil. Hidden power fire if ur team grasses and fires well, rock if it doesnt. Substitute to block potential status and serperior has the natural bulk to keep a few subs up. GASTRO ACID if u wanna stop all those hyping sap sipper mons to stop serp from sweeping.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
More innovation coming to theatres 2015:

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Evs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Nature : Timid
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Rock
- Substitute / Gastro Acid

Do I even have to explain? ok maybe i do. Serperior recently got its hidden ability, which means it has a boosting leaf storm. Broken IKR? Anyways giga drain is there to offset the damage from life orb/sub recoil. Hidden power fire if ur team grasses and fires well, rock if it doesnt. Substitute to block potential status and serperior has the natural bulk to keep a few subs up. GASTRO ACID if u wanna stop all those hyping sap sipper mons to stop serp from sweeping.
I've been playing around with a lot of calcs for the gastro acid set for the better part of the hour and while it's really cute on paper, it has some noticeable flaws.
252+ SpA Sliggoo Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 168-198 (47.5 - 56%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Bouffalant Megahorn vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Serperior: 264-312 (74.7 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bouffalant Return vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Serperior: 169-199 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bouffalant: 134-160 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
I didn't calc obvious stuff like CB Bouff's Head Charge/Megahorn or Leaf Storm damage to Sliggoo
Miltank and Stantler get beaten but Stantler is irrelevant. So basically, this means that Gastro Acid is only for Miltank. Wasting a turn and a moveslot for two mons that have fairly relevant counters and switch ins that you can put on the team instead isn't worth it imo.
EDIT: I should explain why that took a better part of an hour lol. I was playing around with some bulk investment and such and couldn't find anything that sufficiently beat Goo/Bouff without, at worst, a trade off.

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Poison Jab/Earthquake

This is a Sawk set that I've been using in my Farm League matches lately. The main point of the set the I want to point out is Zen Headbutt and Sturdy.
With Zen Headbutt replacing Ice Punch and Mold Breaker EQ, it allows you to still 2hko Weezing and Vileplume with an Adamant nature:

252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 224-264 (63.2 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 178-210 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

So as you can see, you can hit the two main stops to Sawk in that same move, letting you run Sturdy and a coverage move in Poison Jab or EQ.
EQ lets you hit Garbodor without taking recoil, and it lets you hit Lanturn for super effective damage, where Poison Jab lets you hit Granbull and Togetic.

So the main draw to this set is Sturdy. A late game Sturdy Sawk at full HP is something to be feared, and this set is the optimal set to run for a Sturdy set.

Last edited:

Torterra @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I'm super obsessed with this set at the moment, but it is honestly just such a cool gluemon for so many bulky offensive teams and is just an amazing tank. Synthesis 3 Attacks Torterra is the epitome of tanking, since it has the bulk and typing to live just about any god damned hit and fires back with some of the heaviest hits in NU, packing a major punch and easily smashing most walls with its neutral coverage. With Synthesis, it has an advantage in staying power over the likes of Choice Band, while it has the utility to tank and fire off attacks throughout the match. 96 Spe hits Lanturn while leaving Torterra with odd HP for LO Recoil and Wood Hammer Recoil. Synthesis 3 Attacks is just super cool, and I encourage people to try it.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
This thing is barely used in favor of M-Steelix and M-Camerupt, but it needs to be used more.

Audino (F) @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast/Surf
- Wish
- Protect

M-Audino is frankly one of my favorite pokemon to use at the moment, and I'm finding myself slapping it on every one of my team as an awesome glue that provides Wish support and luring capabilities to balance and bulky offense. Even without investing into its defenses, it's ridiculously bulky, only being 3HKOed by strong attackers such as Archeops, Kangaskhan, Hariyama, and Flame Plate Pyroar. WishTect, the key of this set, gives it the reliable recovery it sorely wants in most of its other sets, while allowing it to support its teammates with fat wishes. With reliable recovery, it becomes a great soft check to a large amount of the tier as it can more repeatedly switch in. It can even utilize Regenerator prior to mega evolving. Dazzling Gleam hits pretty hard against most offensive pokemon, but its chosen coverage move is its most important asset. Fire Blast allows it to lure in and 2HKO or OHKO Steel types like Steelix, Ferroseed, and Klingklang, while Surf lets it hit Fire types like Ninetales, Pyroar, and most importantly M-Camerupt while still hitting Steelix decently hard. Depending on its coverage move, it can pave the way for a sweep for the likes of SD Sneasel, Scyther, Ninetales, Scarf Typhlosion, and more.
Offensive WishTect Audino pairs fantastically with Hariyama, checking physical attackers and passing it wishes so it can continue checking special attackers. Ninetales, Seismitoad, and Mesprit are also great switch ins for the Steel- and Poison-types that threaten it, and the latter two also provide SR support.
It's essentially a more defensive version of Can-Eh-Dian's Pivot Audino, but I like this more because of its ability to check like half of the tier thanks to recovery while providing more overall support to the team.

Edit: More defensive EV spreads are: 248 HP / 144 Def / 84 SpA / 32 SpD or 248 HP / 64 Def / 164 SpA / 32 SpD with Modest (credit to Can-Eh-Dian for the idea), with the first one allowing you to 2HKO 252/0 M-Steelix and the latter letting you 2HKO Ninetales with Surf. The 32 SpDef evs let it avoid the 2HKO from Scarf Typh's Eruption. The defensive investment lets it handle the meta even better, with the first set notably avoiding the 2HKO from Silk Scarf Khan after SR.

Last edited:
This thing is barely used in favor of M-Steelix and M-Camerupt, but it needs to be used more.

Audino (F) @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast/Surf
- Wish
- Protect

M-Audino is frankly one of my favorite pokemon to use at the moment, and I'm finding myself slapping it on every one of my team as an awesome glue that provides Wish support and luring capabilities to balance and bulky offense. Even without investing into its defenses, it's ridiculously bulky, only being 3HKOed by strong attackers such as Archeops, Kangaskhan, Hariyama, and Flame Plate Pyroar. WishTect, the key of this set, gives it the reliable recovery it sorely wants in most of its other sets, while allowing it to support its teammates with fat wishes. With reliable recovery, it becomes a great soft check to a large amount of the tier as it can more repeatedly switch in. It can even utilize Regenerator prior to mega evolving. Dazzling Gleam hits pretty hard against most offensive pokemon, but its chosen coverage move is its most important asset. Fire Blast allows it to lure in and 2HKO or OHKO Steel types like Steelix, Ferroseed, and Klingklang, while Surf lets it hit Fire types like Ninetales, Pyroar, and most importantly M-Camerupt while still hitting Steelix decently hard. Depending on its coverage move, it can pave the way for a sweep for the likes of SD Sneasel, Scyther, Ninetales, Scarf Typhlosion, and more.
Offensive WishTect Audino pairs fantastically with Hariyama, checking physical attackers and passing it wishes so it can continue checking special attackers. Ninetales, Seismitoad, and Mesprit are also great switch ins for the Steel- and Poison-types that threaten it, and the latter two also provide SR support.
It's essentially a more defensive version of Can-Eh-Dian's Pivot Audino, but I like this more because of its ability to check like half of the tier thanks to recovery while providing more overall support to the team.
Just saying that if you want to make this spread even more defensive, I've been running a set similar to this, but with 84 in SpAtk with a Modest Nature, which 2HKO's 252/0 Mega Steelix with Fire Blast. You can then throw the rest of the EV's into a defence of your choice. :)

Jimi Hendrix (Ninetales) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock

Oh my lord is this thing good, one of the things I found to be really dumb with Ninetales was the fact that you cannot set up on things like Mega lix or Defensive Seismitoad. Then, this set was born. So basically the goal of this set is to smash nearly every Ground-type in the tier. (the exceptions being megarupt and rhydon kinda)
I'm not really good at explaining sets but definitely try this set out because it is amazing. (imo)

Also it's called Jimi Hendrix cause Foxy Lady

Last edited:

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 168 SpD / 92 Spe
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic

I've been having a bit of fun with this lately. Sets up Subs on Seismitoad, Vileplume, min speed Uxie etc and spreads Toxic/PP Stalls threats. I've been playing Freeze-Dry over Hurricane because Articuno is my answer to Seismitoad on the team I'm using it with but I could see why Hurricane would be better. It's been pretty cool so far, try it out!

Articuno @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic

I've been having a bit of fun with this lately. Sets up Subs on Seismitoad, Vileplume, min speed Uxie etc and spreads Toxic/PP Stalls threats. I've been playing Freeze-Dry over Hurricane because Articuno is my answer to Seismitoad on the team I'm using it with but I could see why Hurricane would be better. It's been pretty cool so far, try it out!
Don't people always say that if something's best set is toxic stall then you might as well not use it at all?

I've never heard anyone say that...

Edit now that I'm on a computer:
I've used Cuno a bit when Serp was around, because it has amazing special bulk even uninvested - could take LO Leaf Storm AND HP Fire if there are no hazards, bulky sets looked kinda meh because you couldn't OHKO without Hurricane and you don't really have the slots for that so you might get screwed. Now that Serp is gone I don't really see much reason to use Articuno much with threats like Typhlosion and Mega Steelix running around.

Last edited:

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch / Substitute / Destiny Bond / Encore / Spikes

This monster hits like a truck, lures and obliterates physical walls such as Tangela, Vileplume, Mega Steelix, Ferroseed and Weezing.

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 374-441 (105.6 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 259-305 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 458-539 (137.1 - 161.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 464-546 (138.9 - 163.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Steelix: 356-421 (100.5 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 255-302 (76.3 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Giga Drain can give some recovery but Cacturne is frail enough as it is and the damage loss of Energy Ball would be missed(like missing out on ohkoing Poliwrath and Lanturn with unboosted Energy Ball and Stealth Rock damage)

Sucker Punch for priority is cool, If so go for a Rash Nature. Substitute, Encore, Spikes and Destiny Bond are other sweet options.

Hazards are desirable to ensure more knock outs, even Stealth Rock alone.

Pretty surprised there's no Nasty Plot Cacturne set on the XY Smogdex.

Last edited:

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Leaf Storm
- Energy Ball

This monster hits like a truck, even OHKOs Mantine, Vileplume, Mega Steelix, Hariyama, Audino, Lickilicky and others after a single Nasty Plot.

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 399-472 (93 - 110%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 316-372 (94.6 - 111.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 441-519 (107.5 - 126.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 374-441 (105.6 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 413-487 (97.4 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Steelix: 413-487 (116.6 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Without a Nasty Plot it still hurts:

252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kangaskhan: 335-395 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

The last moveslot has room for alteration. Energy Ball allows Cacturne to knock out Pokemon Dark Pulse wouldn't without compromising its special attack as Leaf Storm tends to.

Unboosted HP Fire OHKOs Ferroseed and Cacturne after Stealth Rock damage which Leaf Storm and Dark Pulse fails to. Although +2 Dark Pulse OHKOs both of them.

Giga Drain can give some recovery but Cacturne is frail enough as it is and the damage loss of Energy Ball would be missed(like missing out on ohkoing Poliwrath and Lanturn with Stealth Rock unboosted Energy Ball).

Sucker Punch for priority is cool, If so go for a Rash Nature. Substitute, Encore, Spikes and Destiny Bond are other sweet options.

Bit disappointing how unboosted Leaf Storm fails to knock out Mega Steelix lacking bulk investment though. :(

Hazards are desirable to ensure more knock outs, even Stealth Rock alone.

Pretty surprised there's no Nasty Plot Cacturne set on the XY Smogdex.
Cacturne can't even learn Leaf Storm, so most of what you posted can't happen. And while it's not on the strategy dex yet, it might get an entry when an analysis for Cacturne in NU is written (the ones on site is for RU/UU only right now).

As far as I know though, a full special spread for the cactus is pretty okay but I would personally only go mixed with Giga Drain/Sucker Punch because as you said, Cacturn is frail enough and really enjoy having priority. In few cases would the damage boost Energy Ball gives over Giga Drain be worth it when Giga also nullify LO damage and does marginally less damage (you can wear down things a little bit if it's missing out on a ko.

edit: ninjad :(

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Pignite @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Will-O-Wisp

Pignite has killer typing and the newly released Thick Fat, making it a fun check to Fire-types and stuff like Sneasel and Cryogonal. For reference:

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Pignite: 87-103 (22.7 - 26.8%) -- 40.1% chance to 4HKO

Extrasensory 2HKOes, but it also makes Typhlosion more difficult for your opponent to use, which is sometimes all your team really needs. Pignite is cool over Hariyama because it has Will-O-Wisp to at worst wear down switch-ins that you can't touch with your dual STAB and at best cripple physical attackers. It also has stronger priority, even though it doesn't have Fake Out + Bullet Punch. Pignite is also better at taking on bulky Grass-types, especially Vileplume, because of its Fire STAB.

Definitely doesn't fit on every team, but it's really fun to use. You can probably also optimize the spread. I just used max/max.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic

I think the articuno set is "ok" as a sub toxic but a better set would be an offensive set. With articuno's typing it cant afford to be running defensive sets when in contrast you can run agility 2 attacks roost with life orb, or even sub over agility just for longevity purpose. articuno is best used with offense because we have enough defensive flying types and ice doesn't help it with the survivability problem it faces. I run 40 health, 252 special attack, 216 speed so i can outspeed base 80's and at +2 i outspeed base 110 scarfers, its the set i mentioned above with the agility roost and it has been working very well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)