Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is there a Pokémon of offence that can successfully counter both Metagross sets without being a Mega? I tried out Talonflame but it can get outsped and OHKO'd by Agiligross Zen Headbutt...
Do you need it for Hyper Offense? If so your options for countering it are limited. There's Victini, which can switch in on anything, but can't handle any set with EQ, and is outsped at +2. Mega Scizor can switch in, but if you're using the most common (3 Attacks + SD) set, you can't recover, and you can't do impressive damage to it immediately. Mega Gyarados is nice, since in its normal form it can intimidate meta, soak up a zen headbutt, and boost until it can KO meta (after mega evolving into mega dos) with crunch. Scarf Landorus-T and Manectric both outspeed, KO, and intimidate, but they can be worn down easily, and the former falls to the rare ice punch + agility combo.

Btw, if you're using BO, there are many more options (that I won't list because I expect you're not).

Do you need it for Hyper Offense? If so your options for countering it are limited. There's Victini, which can switch in on anything, but can't handle any set with EQ, and is outsped at +2. Mega Scizor can switch in, but if you're using the most common (3 Attacks + SD) set, you can't recover, and you can't do impressive damage to it immediately. Mega Gyarados is nice, since in its normal form it can intimidate meta, soak up a zen headbutt, and boost until it can KO meta (after mega evolving into mega dos) with crunch. Scarf Landorus-T and Manectric both outspeed, KO, and intimidate, but they can be worn down easily, and the former falls to the rare ice punch + agility combo.

Btw, if you're using BO, there are many more options (that I won't list because I expect you're not).
Well... I'm okay for either, really. It was mostly just I was planning to use Mega Diancie and I expected it wouldn't function on anything other than Offensive teams.
Or maybe I'm completely wrong and it's the new star of balance

If the Triple Bunny core is good on HO Teams, which sets do you think would be best for Lopunny, Azumarill, and Diggersby? Currently scratching my head over whether I should use BD Azu, SD Diggersby, SubPass or Fake Out Lopunny, etc.

Also, how do you deal with Talonflame on HO? Seems like my team's gonna be weak to it yet again.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If the Triple Bunny core is good on HO Teams, which sets do you think would be best for Lopunny, Azumarill, and Diggersby? Currently scratching my head over whether I should use BD Azu, SD Diggersby, SubPass or Fake Out Lopunny, etc.

Also, how do you deal with Talonflame on HO? Seems like my team's gonna be weak to it yet again.
I dont think there's a definitive answer to the first question, unless you arent running a bad set the mons will do fine - its best just to test the team and see what would work best.
Here are some answers to burd on offense:
Mega Diancie, Heatran (scarf is good on offense), Mega Manectric, Landorus-T, Raikou, Thundurus. Might be some I missed.

How viable is Assault Vest Tyranitar as a special tank?
The main niche it has over other Tyranitar sets, is that with the combined SpD boosts from the sand and the Assault Vest, it beats almost all special attackers in a 1v1 situation, even being able to survive a Focus Blast from Landorus. There's an XY RMT using AV T-Tar that peaked at No. 1 http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/regen-core-at-its-finest-peaked-1.3513691/#post-5635524 but as ORAS OU is a more physically based metagame, with even more anti-Tyranitar megas, then it's going to be difficult to fit onto teams.

I've seen that page, but I'm asking about Gen 6. It seems like the community would be interested in keeping track of such things, but I'm finding it difficult to find record of votes and suspect testing. I see this as disorganization and it's disheartening.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've seen that page, but I'm asking about Gen 6. It seems like the community would be interested in keeping track of such things, but I'm finding it difficult to find record of votes and suspect testing. I see this as disorganization and it's disheartening.
All voted bans are here. Just sort them alphabetically to see all XY OU and ORAS OU ones.

I'm fully prepared to be ridiculed after saying this, but is there any arguments to allow Darkrai (Or any Uber - I just thought Darkrai has the "weakest" [I dont really want to say weakest but I cant think of another word for it] stats and is the most likely to drop down) into OU? Don't get me wrong, it would be very good, but I have the feeling that it wouldn't be broken.

Obviously this is just a very quick theory, but is there anything that it can do which would make it completely broken for OU?

I'm fully prepared to be ridiculed after saying this, but is there any arguments to allow Darkrai (Or any Uber - I just thought Darkrai has the "weakest" [I dont really want to say weakest but I cant think of another word for it] stats and is the most likely to drop down) into OU? Don't get me wrong, it would be very good, but I have the feeling that it wouldn't be broken.

Obviously this is just a very quick theory, but is there anything that it can do which would make it completely broken for OU?
Even without Dark Void, its speed, special attack and movepool are just too good. It may be frail, but a +2 Darkrai can eradicate just about everything in OU other than a small pool of Megas and priority users. It'd basically be Greninja on steroids.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

To not make it broken would require a complex ban and Smogon for the most part doesn't go for complex bans to such a high degree. People state that Dark Void is what pushes it to the edge but it's also the numerous traits it has such as its high speed and power level after a Nasty Plot boost. Realize that Darkrai is high in viability in ubers (around the A ranks iirc), so just to give you an idea consider that it's already viable in a tier that has a much higher bulk and power level in comparison to OU. More than likely this won't happen unless a very drastic change occurs in the future.

It is a greninja that can put shit to sleep, set up, and a lot more versatile. Literally its only downsides are weakness to priority or faster threats, and bad sustainability. Just because something has low usage in Ubers, it most certainly does not mean it won't be broken in ou.

edit. Double ninja'd, ouch

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Also, Darkrai is a weak uber? Since when? It's A+ in the ubers viability rankings.

Can I ask though, are there likely to be any suspects for things such as Aegislash or something, to see if the changes ORAS brought would cause them to not be as good as they were and thus drop to OU?

Alright thanks! I actually completely forgot it had Nasty Plot and was solely looking for something that could be unbanned just by stats and I thought it would just be like Gengar but with slightly better speed and power. But Nasty Plot and Dark Void were completely forgotten about!

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Also, Darkrai is a weak uber? Since when? It's A+ in the ubers viability rankings.

Can I ask though, are there likely to be any suspects for things such as Aegislash or something, to see if the changes ORAS brought would cause them to not be as good as they were and thus drop to OU?
This isn't really something you can get a concrete answer here because no one can tell you for sure what will be suspected or tested back if possible. You can get a more definitive answer by asking the OU Council.

Edit: A link elaborating on who they are here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)