Resource Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, Read Post #419)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This set isn't super creative per se (a variant of it is on the analysis), but it is pretty underrated and is surprisingly effective.

Clefable @ Life orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Evs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Speed
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast/Focus blast
- Psyshock/Thunderbolt/Focus blast/Knock off
- Soft-Boiled

So this is a pretty cool lure set I've been using recently and it's actually really effective. When most people look at clefable, mostly what they think of is its defensive potential and relative passiveness without some boosts to its special attack. But, what many forget is its pretty wide offensive move pool that gives it fantastic coverage to nail some of its common checks/counters.
The set is pretty simple, but yet effective. Moonblast is non-negotiable as Moonblast provides a deceptively strong STAB. I suppose an extra coverage or utility move could be used over Softboiled, but I really find clefable gets worn down by repeated attacks much too quickly without it. The second move slot is dedicated to hitting steel types. Fire blast is there if you want to OHKO Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory, and do huge damage to Jirachi and Mega Metagross, while focus blast 2hko's heatran, an otherwise hard stop to any clefable, and retains coverage on most steel types. The third slot can be a few different options, Psyshock hits poison types such as Gengar, Tentacruel, Mega Venusaur, and Amoongus for big damage, all if which are great clefable answers otherwise. Thunderbolt still hits tentacruel, but also hits Talonflame and Charizard-Y hard, and does more damage to bulky water types than Moonblast. Focus blast is again an option here for Heatran, and knock off can be used not for its damage output or coverage, but for its utility, I.e. getting rid of chansey's eviolite.

EQ Mew is actually for Heatran and Charizard-X, and not most of the steel-type switch ins (there aren't any, nothing wants to risk a Will-o-Wisp). Actually I think a physically defensive spread with lefties would work better with that set.
EQ can also bop things like Mag, but I agree with you overall. Fully phys def doesn't OHKO Heatran without prior damage - the EV spread isn't standard because I lifted it straight from one of my teams, which was in need of a specially bulky Heatran check.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]

When building an OU team I found my team very weak to Specially Defensive Heatran. With Skarmory already beaten by Thunderbolt and Ferrothorn and Scizor not being big problems to my team I decided to try out HP Ground. Specs HP Ground does 80-95% to the standard SpDtran (220+ SpD) while 184 Spe is enough to outspeed 44 speed Heatrans. You can't just switch into Heatran like you can on Skarmory or Ferrothorn, but using this on a voltturn team (which I do) gives him a free switch in and often results in a kill. Just make sure the heatran doesn't run more than 44 speed EVs and you're fine (and even if it does it means it is offensive and that set is no threat to my team)
Another cool thing about zone is that people will play very carefully with their Ferrothorn and even with 3 fire moves in my team Ferro can be annoying af.

Optional: According to the usage stats 68 Speed is more common than 40 Speed, so if you really want to be safe, you should use a spread of 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Max speed Timid is arguably Heatran's best set right now, and is becoming increasingly common. Not only can your specs 'zone not switch into Heatran, for obvious reasons, but it risks getting outsped & OHKO'd. I don't think running specs HP Ground 'zone is very wise, since it has literally one job, and if it can't even accomplish that you're playing 5 mons vs. your opponent's 6 the whole game. Non-scarf 'zone also gets outsped & Superpower'd by offensive M-Scizor, and without HP Fire it loses to Leech Seed Ferrothorn.

If you need to trap Heatran, look into running Dugtrio.

Last edited:
You can't just downplay Heatran's defensive sets, Jin White. Max speed Timid is a good set for Taunting and offensive sets, but it's not considered anymore useful than the defensive sets which have always been amazing. Though I agree, HP Ground is a pretty poor option on Magnezone because its outsped by some Heatrans and doesn't even KO the specially defensive Heatran you're trying to eliminate.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 308-364 (80 - 94.5%)

Also Dugtrio is really situational. I would say its terrible, but if you desperately need to eliminate all Heatrans to allow something else to sweep then it can be used for that purpose. You're better off running a bulky water type to deal with SpDef Heatrans imo

Ferrothorn (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
IVs: 0 Spd
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Not much of an innovation, but Lum at least lets you smack Rotom-W with a Brave max attack Power Whip as it tries to burn you. Also makes you fear Scald much less. Works well in combination with Talonflame and offensive Landorus-T as a kind of lure since they appreciate Rotom-W weakened. Power Whip and T-Wave in general are not too common on Ferrothorn nowadays so they can easily catch people off guard, for example OHKO'ing Keldeo on the switch or cripping Charizard with paralysis. Max attack isn't a must but it helps a lot with damaging Rotom-W and even knocking out Talonflame after SR with Gyro Ball. Anyways, uncommon sets generally work the best on common pokemon like Ferro, that's why I'm sharing this one :)

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Substitute / Return / Aromatherapy
- Drain Punch

Note, I am not saying to use this over Belly Drum Azumarill, I am just pointing out a niche Slurpuff has over it.

Now I know Belly Drum Slurpuff is common in lower tiers, but since it never sees usage in OU, I decided to make a post about it on here. Feel free to laugh at me and/or reject this, but I'll continue on.
Slurpuff, with access to Drain Punch now, is no longer walled by bulky steel types, and can passable recovery with it. And now the Belly Drum set is even better. Sure, Azumarill still is better than Slurpuff in more aspects, with priority, Knock Off, Huge Power which is a quarter of a Belly Drum anyway I think, Superpower, and a secondary STAB. But what Slurpuff holds over Azumarill is Unburden. With Unburden, after it gets a Belly Drum off and its Sitrus Berry activates, with only 228 Spe, it outspeeds everything up to Scarf Keldeo after the boost, which is pretty good when you think about it. I have tried Belly Drum Azumarill with Aqua Jet over Waterfall, since it seems my Azumarill gets revenged too easily, and even at +6, lacks power and misses out of needed OHKOs, so having this cotton candy get Unburden and a passable psychical moveset is pretty nice for me. The moves speak for themselves, but Belly Drum is the whole reason to use Slurpuff in the first place in OU, Play Rough for STAB and hit common types for super-effective damage, Substitute is nice to avoid status and/or get off a free Belly Drum, while Return allows you to hit bulky Poison types like Mega Venusaur. And Drain Punch is for bulky steel types, especially Heatran and Ferrothorn.
Of course, a Pokemon doesn't come without its flaws, M-Scizor, Skarmory, and Megagross shit on Slurpuff, even at +6, and it is pretty frail. And Azumarill is better in every other aspect outside of Unburden, but I feel Unburden gives Slurpuff a big enough niche to be mentioned.​

Last edited:

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Substitute / Return
- Drain Punch

Note, I am not saying to use this over Belly Drum Azumarill, I am just pointing out a niche Slurpuff has over it.

Now I know Belly Drum Slurpuff is common in lower tiers, but since it never sees usage in OU, I decided to make a post about it on here. Feel free to laugh at me and/or reject this, but I'll continue on.
Slurpuff, with access to Drain Punch now, is no longer walled by bulky steel types, and can passable recovery with it. And now the Belly Drum set is even better. Sure, Azumarill still is better than Slurpuff in more aspects, with priority, Knock Off, Huge Power which is a quarter of a Belly Drum anyway I think, Superpower, and a secondary STAB. But what Slurpuff holds over Azumarill is Unburden. With Unburden, after it gets a Belly Drum off and its Sitrus Berry activates, with only 228 Spe, it outspeeds everything up to Scarf Keldeo after the boost, which is pretty good when you think about it. I have tried Belly Drum Azumarill with Aqua Jet over Waterfall, since it seems my Azumarill gets revenged too easily, and even at +6, lacks power and misses out of needed OHKOs, so having this cotton candy get Unburden and a passable psychical moveset is pretty nice for me. The moves speak for themselves, but Belly Drum is the whole reason to use Slurpuff in the first place in OU, Play Rough for STAB and hit common types for super-effective damage, Substitute is nice to avoid status and/or get off a free Belly Drum, while Return allows you to hit bulky Poison types like Mega Venusaur. And Drain Punch is for bulky steel types, especially Heatran and Ferrothorn.
Of course, a Pokemon doesn't come without its flaws, M-Scizor, Skarmory, and Megagross shit on Slurpuff, even at +6, and it is pretty frail. And Azumarill is better in every other aspect outside of Unburden, but I feel Unburden gives Slurpuff a big enough niche to be mentioned.​
I really like the idea of Slurpuff in OU tbh but just a suggestion for the set. Slash Aromatherapy with Sub and Return because it A. Helps you set up w/out having to worry too much about getting statused and B. As Play Rough at +6 doesn't actually get the ohko on some physically bulky mons like Slowbro it could be a helpful asset vs things like that. As things like Scald will actually break a sub anyway o_O
+6 252 Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 286-337 (72.5 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (24 SpD evs makes little/no dif to calc so idc)

Enter Salamence.

Ωzymandias (Salamence) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 32 HP / 24 Def / 236 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Roost

Following it's mega's departure from OU, my team based around it got fucked up hard. The Greninja ban also made it worse since it was an especially important 'mon in the team too. So after trying a standard DDance Lum Bery set, followed by a Moxie Scarfed set, I found this set to really shine (as bright as Salamence can shine) in the current metagame. With the given EV spread, he has enough speed to outspeed max neutral speed Kyurem-B, and is capable of surviving the following stuff and kill the opponent with the appropriate move:

252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 282-334 (83.1 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Lopunny Frustration vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 136-162 (40.1 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 270-328 (79.6 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 129-153 (38 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 284-336 (83.7 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 186-219 (54.8 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 82-97 (24.1 - 28.6%) -- 97.8% chance to 4HKO
-1 0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 87-103 (25.6 - 30.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 186-220 (54.8 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 249-294 (73.4 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 94-111 (27.7 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Frustration vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 254-300 (74.9 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Salamence can't really do anything back, but just to show his bulk))

236+ SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lopunny: 274-325 (101.1 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 463-546 (120.2 - 141.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Life Orb Salamence Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 330-390 (121.3 - 143.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Life Orb Salamence Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 380-447 (107.9 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 320-378 (83.7 - 98.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
236+ SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 238-281 (78.2 - 92.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It's an especially nice check to Mega Lopunny w/o Ice Punch, as well as to many other physically oriented Pokemon w/lo Ice moves. And aside from being a (patchy) defensive pivot, it also acts as a decent lure by luring many of it's physical checks such as Rotom-W, Slowbro, Zapdos, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Heatran and then dealing massive damage to or even outright killing them. Furthermore, the real beauty of this set is that it has excellent damage output right off the bat, and doesn't require setup nor it is fazed by burns, important qualities that physical Salamence lacks.

Last edited:

Starmei

Enter Salamence.

Ωzymandias (Salamence) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 32 HP / 24 Def / 236 SpA / 216 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Roost

Following it's mega's departure from OU, my team based around it got fucked up hard. The Greninja ban also made it worse since it was an especially important 'mon in the team too. So after trying a standard DDance Lum Bery set, followed by a Moxie Scarfed set, I found this set to really shine (as bright as Salamence can shine) in the current metagame. With the given EV spread, he has enough speed to outspeed max neutral speed Kyurem-B, and is capable of surviving the following stuff and kill the opponent with the appropriate move:

252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 282-334 (83.1 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Lopunny Frustration vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 136-162 (40.1 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 270-328 (79.6 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 129-153 (38 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 284-336 (83.7 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 186-219 (54.8 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 82-97 (24.1 - 28.6%) -- 97.8% chance to 4HKO
-1 0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 87-103 (25.6 - 30.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 186-220 (54.8 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 249-294 (73.4 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 94-111 (27.7 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Pixilate Altaria Frustration vs. 32 HP / 8 Def Salamence: 254-300 (74.9 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Salamence can't really do anything back, but just to show his bulk))

236+ SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lopunny: 274-325 (101.1 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 463-546 (120.2 - 141.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Life Orb Salamence Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 330-390 (121.3 - 143.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Life Orb Salamence Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 380-447 (107.9 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236+ SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 320-378 (83.7 - 98.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
236+ SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 238-281 (78.2 - 92.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

It's an especially nice check to Mega Lopunny w/o Ice Punch, as well as to many other physically oriented Pokemon w/lo Ice moves. And aside from being a (patchy) defensive pivot, it also acts as a decent lure by luring many of it's physical checks such as Rotom-W, Slowbro, Zapdos, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Heatran and then dealing massive damage to or even outright killing them. Furthermore, the real beauty of this set is that it has excellent damage output right off the bat, and doesn't require setup nor it is fazed by burns, important qualities that physical Salamence lacks.
http://prntscr.com/5ujey7

that's not to say it can't work ever but in general it's not a great idea. On that set I'd recommend slashing fire blast with Flamethrower just because of the Neutral damage to some things and also if they go into something like Ferro on the Draco then at -2 Fire Blast will be able to do a lot more. Granted Salamence does have a few advantages over Lati@s and things like Kyurem but in general, especially with 110 being a great speed tier to hit rn, reg Salamence isn't gonna get a lot of usage as it is. I do like that it lures physically bulky mons to hit with a Draco/coverage but this set is pretty walled by most fairies, and you don't particularly want to give something like CB Azu a free switch. In certain situations this set would be nice but imo it's not really worth it in the long run.

Also

0- Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 416-494 (107.7 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Granted EQ hits some things for nice neutral damage but sacrificing bulk may such an ideal option.

It gets Iron Tail if Fairies are an issue. Run Iron Tail > EQ. You dont really lose coverage on anything besides Heatran I think and it's easy enough to lure in with your other pokemon.

It gets Iron Tail if Fairies are an issue. Run Iron Tail > EQ. You dont really lose coverage on anything besides Heatran I think and it's easy enough to lure in with your other pokemon.
Yes, Iron Tail is especially useful on DDance/Scarfed sets as it OHKOs several fairies after a single boost. Also good for revenge killing weakened +1 Mega Altaria

http://prntscr.com/5ujey7

that's not to say it can't work ever but in general it's not a great idea. On that set I'd recommend slashing fire blast with Flamethrower just because of the Neutral damage to some things and also if they go into something like Ferro on the Draco then at -2 Fire Blast will be able to do a lot more. Granted Salamence does have a few advantages over Lati@s and things like Kyurem but in general, especially with 110 being a great speed tier to hit rn, reg Salamence isn't gonna get a lot of usage as it is. I do like that it lures physically bulky mons to hit with a Draco/coverage but this set is pretty walled by most fairies, and you don't particularly want to give something like CB Azu a free switch. In certain situations this set would be nice but imo it's not really worth it in the long run.

Also

0- Atk Life Orb Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 416-494 (107.7 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Granted EQ hits some things for nice neutral damage but sacrificing bulk may such an ideal option.
Sorry for double post, but have no idea how to quote twice in one post.

Anyways that Kyurem-B set is dangerously weak to both new and old threats such as Mega Gallade, Mega Lopunny, Jolly/Scarfed/Sand Rush Excadrill and (both mega/non mega) Scizor. Also the Salamence set that the Kyurem-B set is compared to is a mixed mence set, something that has little use now in the current meta game. Granted my Salamence's set also run mixed attacks, it is much more heavily invested in Sp. Atk, and has the viable niche of taking on the physical attackers that Kyurem-B would be dying to head on. It's also much less predictable as I've said, it makes for a good lure. All the walls that Kyurem-B is said to destroy, the Salamence set I mentioned does so too, with the exception of fairies and which can be dealt with by his team. It also sits at a speed tier that makes opposing Charizard X/Y, Mega Medicham, Hydreigon, and other base >100 think twice about staying in.

And let's not forget that Salamence can also run Defog, something Kyurem-B does not have access to. And before you say Latios does a better job of offensive defogging (which he does), it's really only an extra option and running it isn't a must.

Starmei

Sorry for double post, but have no idea how to quote twice in one post.

Anyways that Kyurem-B set is dangerously weak to both new and old threats such as Mega Gallade, Mega Lopunny, Jolly/Scarfed/Sand Rush Excadrill and (both mega/non mega) Scizor. Also the Salamence set that the Kyurem-B set is compared to is a mixed mence set, something that has little use now in the current meta game. Granted my Salamence's set also run mixed attacks, it is much more heavily invested in Sp. Atk, and has the viable niche of taking on the physical attackers that Kyurem-B would be dying to head on. It's also much less predictable as I've said, it makes for a good lure. All the walls that Kyurem-B is said to destroy, the Salamence set I mentioned does so too, with the exception of fairies and which can be dealt with by his team. It also sits at a speed tier that makes opposing Charizard X/Y, Mega Medicham, Hydreigon, and other base >100 think twice about staying in.

And let's not forget that Salamence can also run Defog, something Kyurem-B does not have access to. And before you say Latios does a better job of offensive defogging (which he does), it's really only an extra option and running it isn't a must.

Yeah as I said Mence does have a few advantages over mons like Kyurem-B and Lati. One of them on your set being the lure n bop of SpA Mence. I was just pointing out that this set isn't exactly great just because it gives some threatening mons a free switch, etc (see my above post.) I wasn't saying Mence is completely outclassed but it's outclassed to a degree that it's not gonna get a lot of usage as it is because Intimi + slightly faster than KyuB/speed ties w/ base 100s (110 is much more of a crucial speed tier now anyway) + in this case the lure isn't really enough of an argument to use it > Kyurem/Lati. Again as I said in certain situations/teams a set like this might work and I'm not trying to call it bad I was just pointing out some flaws with using Mence/this set. :]

I'd say use Iron Head instead of Iron Tail if you wanted Steel coverage on Salamence, but somehow a Pokemon that learns Headbutt and Zen Headbutt by level with a pre-evo whose Pokedex entries literally say it has a head as hard as iron and steel can't actually learn Iron Head. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd say use Iron Head instead of Iron Tail if you wanted Steel coverage on Salamence, but somehow a Pokemon that learns Headbutt and Zen Headbutt by level with a pre-evo whose Pokedex entries literally say it has a head as hard as iron and steel can't actually learn Iron Head. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
Hooray for GameFreak logic!
Anyways, if you want a Dragon type that lures in Fairy types, I feel you're much better off using Hydreigon who has access to Flash Cannon and Iron Tail.

Hooray for GameFreak logic!
Anyways, if you want a Dragon type that lures in Fairy types, I feel you're much better off using Hydreigon who has access to Flash Cannon and Iron Tail.
Actually, that's a reason to run Mence in and of itself. Hydreigon is known for being a wallbreaker and a Fairy lure. Mence is known for... ScarfMoxie. Luring in a Fairy is far easier when people don't expect it.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Soft-Boiled

Stallbreaker mew isn't dead just got to try a different set. Taunt wisp gets screwed over by Mega Sabeleye, so thats doesn't work, instead you gotta find a way to kill mega eye, so why not nasty plot dazzling gleam. Its an easy 2hko on mega eye while you only recieve minimal damage in return. Taunt other stalls mons, boost up heal when needed and sweep. You do miss wisp quite a bit, but this is a very effective lure set that actually lets you break stall.. Sorry for big sprite, couldn't get on serbeii

+2 0 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 204-240 (67.1 - 78.9%)

Lil YoshiXD why not use Nasty Plot Togekiss instead? It accomplishes the same thing but has a better typing to set up more easily and it is way more powerful because of STAB. You can use STAB Air Slash as a Pseudo-Taunt to prevent recovery.

Togekiss (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower / Aura Sphere

edit: added the correct nature. Also SketchUp you need dazzling gleam to beat rotom-w easily

Last edited:

Starmei

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Soft-Boiled

Stallbreaker mew isn't dead just got to try a different set. Taunt wisp gets screwed over by Mega Sabeleye, so thats doesn't work, instead you gotta find a way to kill mega eye, so why not nasty plot dazzling gleam. Its an easy 2hko on mega eye while you only recieve minimal damage in return. Taunt other stalls mons, boost up heal when needed and sweep. You do miss wisp quite a bit, but this is a very effective lure set that actually lets you break stall.. Sorry for big sprite, couldn't get on serbeii

+2 0 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 204-240 (67.1 - 78.9%)
I like the idea of a Sableye lure Mew but I just don't think this set or spread are great tbh. Mono attacking dazzling gleam is walled by a lot, and even at +6 a dazzling gleam isn't going to do much to a lot of mons

+6 0 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 41-49 (10.6 - 12.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever

+6 0 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 118-139 (18.3 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO

(you get the point, it doesn't do much against stall, it can taunt things and eventually whittle them but with 16 PP it's not gonna happen.)

But against offensive or balanced teams this thing can't really do a lot other than fodder/get off tiny amounts of damage

+6 0 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 102-120 (34.3 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (assuming you magically get to +6)

0 SpA Mew Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 69-82 (21.6 - 25.7%) -- 1.3% chance to 4HKO

It doesn't offer much offensive presence. Another thing is the lack of status, Will-o Wisp was/is pretty key on Mew to threaten a lot of offensive mons and on your set it won't be able to fit on anywhere. Anything that's faster can just set up on this before you can taunt (Like CharX, which admittedly set up on the old/current Mew set but still, Manaphy, even Mega Gallade because Dazzling Gleam has such little power) and Mew can't punish effectively. This Mew set is also a free switchin for a lot of offensive mons like Victini, Gengar, etc.

Another issue is the EV spread. Max/max on Mew isn't advisable, you want to be fast enough to taunt or just generally outspeed some offensive threats so you can WoW them.

So all in all I don't think this Mew set is good aside from luring in Mega Sableye and on the chance that the Sableye stays in on the Mew after its seen Nasty Plot, getting off nice damage on said Sableye. Sorry but I can't see this set doing anything useful other than that.

Lil YoshiXD why not use Nasty Plot Togekiss instead? It accomplishes the same thing but has a better typing to set up more easily and it is way more powerful because of STAB. You can use STAB Air Slash as a Pseudo-Taunt to prevent recovery.

Togekiss (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower / Aura Sphere
Assuming that nature is wrong?

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Togekiss can just set up on Mega Sableye so even without Dazzling Gleam Mega Sableye can be beaten. Mega Sableye is important when considering stall, but there is more. With Aura Sphere or Heal Bell you have much more utility against stuff like Heatran

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Aura Sphere / Heal Bell

Togekiss can just set up on Mega Sableye so even without Dazzling Gleam Mega Sableye can be beaten. Mega Sableye is important when considering stall, but there is more. With Aura Sphere or Heal Bell you have much more utility against stuff like Heatran

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Aura Sphere / Heal Bell
I think Dazzling Gleam is just a power STAB attack which is better than aura sphere bcz better power and hits dragons waaay better. (IMO)

SketchUp

I think Dazzling Gleam is just a power STAB attack which is better than aura sphere bcz better power and hits dragons waaay better. (IMO)
Dazzling Gleam gives much worse coverage. You need Nasty Plot and Roost in my opinion so that leaves you with 2 slots for 3 moves. Fairy+Flying is walled by steel types, fairy+fighting is walled by poison types + stuff like Talonflame and Victini, while flying+fighting is only walled by Zapdos and Thundurus.

Dazzling Gleam gives much worse coverage. You need Nasty Plot and Roost in my opinion so that leaves you with 2 slots for 3 moves. Fairy+Flying is walled by steel types, fairy+fighting is walled by poison types + stuff like Talonflame and Victini, while flying+fighting is only walled by Zapdos and Thundurus.
Yeah but no Togie would stay in on Steel-types anyway, and still, it can flinch ferro to hax if it wants to.

SketchUp

Yeah but no Togie would stay in on Steel-types anyway, and still, it can flinch ferro to hax if it wants to.
It can set up on stuff like Sableye and Chansey and it needs Aura Sphere after it has set-up for stuff like Heatran. Without Aura Sphere you rely on flinching Heatran 5 times in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)