SPOILERS! "What Isn't A Pokemon Yet" Repository (+ Type Combinations & Super Forms)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
WilliDasWiesel:
No problem. I don't know much about it besides what I quickly read through on Kotaku (take from that as you will). It's very popular in Japan (at least with children), they released a toy of the wrist watch the characters use in the franchise (which has both a game and anime) and there were lines around multiple blocks for it (and quickly sold out). Even a McDonalds promotions with cards that when scanned gave a scanner a special Yokai had lines around multiple blocks. So I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get it stateside (though as I said, it's heavy on Japanese culture which might be lost on kids from other countries, though the main point of the game is just collecting colorful monsters to battle with so I don't think it would be that big of a barrier).

Updates:
Added suggestions from Chaoswalker and made "Dolphin" to "(Bottlenose) Dolphin" as pointed out by Preved Medved.
Yesterday I added my list to the "MAMMAL" category and today I added to all the subcategories under it.
3. I combined the two "Canine" subcategories together as there were only a few "Wild Dogs" so wasn't really worth having it as a sub subcategory.

I would like to propose the following animals be added to the list:

Kookabura: This would probably be a good pokemon, as we don't have many Australian birds (I don't actually think their are any yet) and the fact that It has a similar sound to human laughter when it calls, even thought it might be too similar to chatot, would be interesting.

(Will post more soon.)

We're missing a Jackalope under Fearsome Critters.

We are also missing ill-tempered boats under Other Mythology (more specifically, Finnish mythology.)

Under objects we are missing voodoo dolls, bow and arrows, tombstones/living graveyards, and origami.

We are also missing a viking.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also, who can forget Mr. XY?

While he turned out to be a hoaxer, he had several really interesting ideas for new Pokémon designs. Check out the link to see it all, but I'll just list a couple of my favourites (and bolding the original concept they would feature):
- Coconut soldier (with its evolution appearing to be camouflaged by wearing a bush)
- Moth with a wing pattern resembling stained glass windows.
- An outright star eventually evolving into a black hole.
- A ram.
- And who can forget the quartet of legendaries themed to playing cards?

Also, who can forget Mr. XY?

While he turned out to be a hoaxer, he had several really interesting ideas for new Pokémon designs. Check out the link to see it all, but I'll just list a couple of my favourites (and bolding the original concept they would feature):
- Coconut soldier (with its evolution appearing to be camouflaged by wearing a bush)
- Moth with a wing pattern resembling stained glass windows.
- An outright star eventually evolving into a black hole.
- A ram.
- And who can forget the quartet of legendaries themed to playing cards?
I particularly like the Fertility Idol Claydol.

After reading Codraroll's post, I came up with more ideas:

A pokemon that looks sort of half-and-half, like A coin?

The two constellations that aren't really covered yet, Sagitarius and Libra(maybe something like a judge?).

The Aztec Jaguar and Eagle Warriors, as in actual jaguar/eagles, but based off of those.

Last edited:
IDK why saying what you want and why you want it would be considered a bad thing (I rarely come here so IDK the rules), but... whatever.

Dolphins and gorillas have yet to be done. (And no, Kyogre the Orca [a killer whale] and Slaking the Sloth are not dolphins nor gorillas. Neither are Lanturn the Angler Fish and Ambipom the Monkey. A lot of fans use those as examples, and no. Just no.)

And I'd also add Basilisk (the mythological snake one, not the Helio-line's lizard), the Saber Tooth tiger (Raikou is just a big cat in general and seems more leopard and regular tiger than Saber Tooth) and Mummy (Cofagrigus is the sarcophagus, but not the king/queen).

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hitmonleet:
1. Added Kookaburra, Coin, & Jaguar and Eagle Warriors.
2. Instead of specific constellations I just put in "Constellations (Zodiac & Chinese)". Also apparently Gothorita is shaped like the constellation Libra.

Tortferngatr:
1. Added Jackalope (we're missing it because I haven't gotten to that yet/no one put anything there yet), Voodoo Dolls, Bow & Arrows, Tombstone, Origami, and Viking.
2. About the Ill-Tempered Boat. Instead of it I added the "Sampo (& Ilmarinen's other creations)". I feel the boat is a bit too specific (as funny as the idea is), however I feel it combined with the Sampo and Ilmarinen's other creations would help expand upon the idea.

Codraroll:
1. Added Coconut, Stained Glass, Star, Blackhole, Ram, & Playing Card Suits.
2. Ah yes, I got about Mr. XY's list. I guess once I'm done with putting down all my lists I'll look through his.

Kurona:
1. Added Fertility Idol.

BlackButterfree:
1. Just erring on the side of caution. It's all in the wording really. Saying you "want" makes it sound like you're wishlisting even if you're just pointing that this thing hasn't been made into a Pokemon yet. However I think so far everyone has done a nice job. :)
2. Added "Real" Gorilla, Basilisk, and "Real" Saber Tooth (it can be put up to a vote whether Raikou is to be considered one or not as, to be fair, Raikou is a combination of several animals).
3. Wouldn't Dusclops count as a mummy?

It's hard to phrase this in a way that will avoid being construed as wish-listing, but I'll try (though I am excited by the design potential of my proposals).

1: a Grandfather Clock. Although the reception of monsters like Klefki and Vanilluxe is usually met (at least at first) with some mild disdain I feel this has potential, especially due to the pendulum, and its hypnotic implications.

2: a Bioluminescent Mushroom. Yes, we have Foongus, Amoongus, Parasect, Shroomish, and Breloom. I do feel that the light aspect would be enough to set this design apart. That and all of the mushroom mons we have posses rounded caps, and mushrooms come on many other shapes that could be utilized in this design. Before I end, I will concede that I'm biased in applying Bioluminescence to mushrooms. I do feel that as a concept it has been unexplored (apart from Lanturn, if that counts) and has fantastic design potential.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Something that we haven't seen yet is a Pokemon based on the Chupacabra. I personally feel that could be quite a cool concept if done right, and considering the myth of the Chupacabra is quite well known afaik, i'm surprised it hasn't been done yet.

Speaking of well known myths and legends, another Pokemon concept that we haven't seen yet is one based on the Bigfoot/Sasquatch. Abomasnow comes close, being partially based on a yeti and all, but the fact that Abomasnow is less apelike and more treelike makes it a bit unsatisfactory imo. I'd prolly list this under "real" Sasquatch

As for the Vampire Squid being in the OP as something that hasn't been a Pokemon yet, i'd like to direct all of you to Malamar. If that's not a Vampire Squid, i don't know what is, the Vampire Squid's tendency to flip its tentacles over its head as a defense mechanism or "turn itself inside out" is even directly referenced by Inkay and Malamar's upside down/inversion theme o_O.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Chaoswalker:
1. I see, well I guess being the Mummy you're probably thinking of are Egyptian Mummies I'll put it under Arabian Mythology (and before anyone says anything, I think Chaoswalker wants the Mummy moving around).

Talpr0ne:
Darmanitan is based on an Orangutan which is one of the great apes like a Gorilla (FUN FACT: Humans are also one of the great ape species). It's also why I have "Real" Orangutan on the list as Darmanitan is more based on a Daruma doll than anything else.

Kurona:
Still, we don't have a Pokemon based on a fertility doll.

-NLMRY-
1. Added Grandfather Clock.
2. Instead of just "Bioluminescent Mushroom", I added a species of bioluminescent mushroom called the Foxfire/Fairy Fire that I had on one of my lists.

Molk:
1. Added Chupacabra and Bigfoot/Sasquatch.
2. Yeah, Bulbapedia also believes Malamar is possibly based on a Vampire Squid. I didn't know about the Vampire Squid's ability to invert itself so yeah, I think Malamar would count as one of them. I removed Vampire Squid from the list.

Preved Medved:
As Talpr0ne said, I think Victini is as close as we're going to get to Atomic/Nuclear power let alone a bomb. They're also NEVER going to base a Pokemon on one of the Atomic Bombs that was used on Japan...

Talpr0ne:
Darmanitan is based on an Orangutan which is one of the great apes like a Gorilla (FUN FACT: Humans are also one of the great ape species). It's also why I have "Real" Orangutan on the list as Darmanitan is more based on a Daruma doll than anything else.

Kurona:
Still, we don't have a Pokemon based on a fertility doll.
In spite of its name and its color scheme, Darmanitan is much closer to a Gorilla, because it walks on the ground instead of climbing trees, and it's also more aggressive than real life orangutans. It also lacks the thick cheeks typical of an orangutan

gorilla

orangutan

Darmanitan

By the way I just realized that there isn't a Pokémon based on a macaw parrot. It would even make a great (mega)evolution for Chatot.

Last edited:
BlackButterfree:
1. Just erring on the side of caution. It's all in the wording really. Saying you "want" makes it sound like you're wishlisting even if you're just pointing that this thing hasn't been made into a Pokemon yet. However I think so far everyone has done a nice job. :)
2. Added "Real" Gorilla, Basilisk, and "Real" Saber Tooth (it can be put up to a vote whether Raikou is to be considered one or not as, to be fair, Raikou is a combination of several animals).
3. Wouldn't Dusclops count as a mummy?
Isn't Dusclops a cyclops + grim reaper? lol It doesn't really have bandages or any other thing connected to Egyptian mummies. It could be a South American mummy, I guess, but there's not really anything in its design to suggest that aside from its body looking like dried up jerky lol

And why is wishlisting against the rules in this forum? I don't understand why it should be.

Wishlisting would mean retreading things previous people posted very often, cluttering the thread.

But hey, pick up a pencil or open up a spread sheet and draw/theorymon them if you are really that interested in your wishlistmons. That's something you could possibly start a thread about if you take the art route.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The pitaya could be an interesting bodily component or basis for a Pokemon.

I really like the contrast of green against pink, and I think from this, some interesting concepts could spawn.

This bird is basically a brown version of another Australian pigeon species, and it lives in the desert. It has a very ornate design in my opinion and could be a perfect candidate for a Pokemon based on a desert-dwelling bird.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Talpr0ne:
1. I see what you mean, however I would say Darmanitan is more based on a daruma. Eitherway I did have "Real" Gorilla on the list.
2. Added Macaw, specifically the Scarlet Macaw since it's the most visually different from Chatot.

BlackButterfree:
1. Duclops looks like its wrapped in bandages, but its mostly based on a Chochin-obake.
2. Also note wishlisting mainly pertains to saying what kind of Pokemon you'll want it to become (type, Ability, stats, design features, etc.). Saying what makes your thing interesting is fine, but since we have no way of knowing what a Pokemon version of that thing would be like there's no point in trying to predict such things.

The Avalanches:
Added Pitaya (FUN FACT: the Petaya Berry is based on the Pitaya) and Crested Pigeon.

sickweare:
Changed Red Panda to "Real" Red Panda. Spinda has some Red Panda characteristics, but it's not solely based on it.

List Update:
BTW, I've been posting my lists the past few days but forgot to mention it. Since I last mentioned it I added my list for the rest of the Mammals, for Birds, and for Reptiles/Amphibians.

The psychic type is such a good candidate for a pokemon that looks like a Brain, I'm surprised it's not been done.

I suppose Munna and Musharna are the closest thing so far, they look fairly cerebral.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)