Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm new to OU and was wondering what makes Clefable so good. On paper, it seems pretty bad with 95 / 73 / 90 defenses. Sure it can run calm mind and get a free life orb boost thanks to magic guard and it's immune to toxic, but does that really make up for its low stats? I guess it gets access to fire blast as a niche over other fairies, but they have better stats than Clefable. Clefable is also pretty ineffective against Mega Metagross, Magnezone, Mega Venasaur, most fire types, and is completely walled by Heatran. I can see that it definitely has a niche in OU but why does that niche warrant an A+ rank?
Two (and a half) things make Clefable the amazing mon that it is.
1. Typing
2. Ability
2.5. Not bad stats

The fairy type is one of the best defensive types, next to steel. The ability to resist Dark + Fighting coverage provides an amazing utility for a defensive pivot/special wall like Clefable.
Its abilities, Magic Guard/Unaware also contribute to this. The ability to absorb status and set up with Calm Mind is incredibly useful as it gives Clefable an offensive presence as well. The latter ability allows it to wall most setup sweepers, barring mons like Mega Scizor and Mega Gyarados. It also walls the face of stall i.e. Mega Sableye.
Its stats are also better than most people give it credit for. Its Base 95 HP seems okay on paper, but combined with its typing, it turns it into a great wall/pivot. Clefable is also incredibly versatile; it has access to CM/Cosmic Power + Stored Power, Fire Blast, and is one of the only SR users that can set up Stealth Rocks on Mega Sableye (as they usually switch out in fear of Moonblast).

So, I haven't played OU in quite some time. I started playing again last week. I just now got destroyed before I knew what hit me by a team that consisted of a dual screener, Geomancy / Iron Defense Smeargle (with Spore obviously), and Espeon. Before I realized what I was up against my Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball was doing 8% to Espeon, who conveniently had Substitute to take advantage of that fact. My opponent said GG when I had 5 pokes left and there was literally nothing I could do.

So basically my questions are these:

1) This is broken as all hell, right? What's the status of Baton Pass in OU right now? Why is this set not listed on Smeargle's analysis?

and 2) What in god's name can I do to protect my team from this team archetype?

So, I haven't played OU in quite some time. I started playing again last week. I just now got destroyed before I knew what hit me by a team that consisted of a dual screener, Geomancy / Iron Defense Smeargle, and Espeon. Before I realized what I was up against my Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball was doing 8% to Espeon, who conveniently had Substitute to take advantage of that fact. My opponent said GG when I had 5 pokes left and there was literally nothing I could do.

1) This is broken as all hell, right? What's the status of Baton Pass in OU right now? Why is this set not listed on Smeargle's analysis?

Full baton pass teams are generally frowned upon by most players, and if you haven't played ou in a while then you might have missed a period last gen when full baton pass teams were running rampant. At the time they were extremely broken, but measures were taken, and new clauses were instated, to make it less so.

Full baton pass teams aren't that common at all any more, but to prepare for it you could use things like Unaware Clefable, roar or whirlwind on pokemon like Skarmory, Hippowdon, Tyranitar, and Heatran. You could also use Clear Smog Amoongus, or Dragon Tail Garchomp, but those have little uses against things outside of beating Baton Pass.

Another option is using Prankster Taunt Thundurus, or lead with a M-Sableye against their lead Azelf, and set up for game.

So, I haven't played OU in quite some time. I started playing again last week. I just now got destroyed before I knew what hit me by a team that consisted of a dual screener, Geomancy / Iron Defense Smeargle (with Spore obviously), and Espeon. Before I realized what I was up against my Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball was doing 8% to Espeon, who conveniently had Substitute to take advantage of that fact. My opponent said GG when I had 5 pokes left and there was literally nothing I could do.

If you mean the team with something like Lead Talon / Whimsicott / Smeargle / Espeon, then to answer question 1, it's really only viable on a dedicated BP team, which is primarily used by unskilled players because it basically autopilots itself, hence why it doesn't show up in the analysis.

Question 2 is a bit harder to answer. It's arguably rare enough that you should be able to ignore it, but if you're stuck in some god-awful BP Hell of the ladder, you may have to counter-team, though you should be careful about Gothitelle since it's common to try and trap known counters to this team. ssjynx's suggestions should work, and if you go that route I would heavily suggest M-Sableye since it's usable on both Balance and Stall while being able to get around most of what BP teams use while still being a strong win condition against other teams.

I thought Garchomp had to have Rough Skin to still be legal this generation?
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-204607764 - Turn 9. It didn't really affect the game as much as the speed tie later but it's still something that needs to be looked into, surely?
In gen 4, garchomp was banned entirely because of sand veil, in gen 5 garchomp was allowed but only if it didn't have sand veil, but from the start of xy to now, sand veil garchomp has been legal. This is because the weather mechanics have changed so that weather only lasts for 5-8 turns now, making things like sand veil/rush, swift swim, and chlorophyll a lot easier to work around. Because of this, things like sand veil or swift swim + drizzle are legal now, as they are not nearly as broken as they used to be.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Heal Bell + Momentum isn't that common on OU pokemon (I don't really see the exact niche of the combination either) and neither is it Lanturn's niche. Lanturn's niche is the electric immunity which helps walling Mega Manectric as a boss (also counters thundy, raikou, rotom)
If you are looking for cleric+momentum you can try M-Lopunny, Mew, M-Ampharos or Celebi better in my opinion

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I was wondering what are the advantages of running jolly bisharp other than outspeeding adamant altaria and m-scizor?

Why do some RMTs get way more attention than others? I put a lot of thought into mine and people seem to ignore it in favor of RMTs that have barely three lines per poke. Maybe it's because it's a baton pass team so no one takes it seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)