Milotic (VGC 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really liking Milotic this format, ESPECIALLY now that Landorus-T is the 2nd most popular Pokemon on battlespot right now(Behind Mega-Khan).

Okay so I've really been using this a lot. I adore it. Seriously. I've paired it up with Amoonguss, and defensive Arcanine with Snarl, and Tailwind Zapdos and it's a core that can't be beat. I've been shuffling other sweepers around, and they all work. Most notably, Mega Mawile and Mega Gengar love the bulk that core provides. I love this mon a LOT. Icy Wind and this tank bulk is just simply amazing. Seriously, I'm just gushing, but the team I had won 26 straight. You just need a Rotom Wash counter, a Zapdos Counter and a Charizard Y counter and this monster fits like glue on any team. I can't praise it enough. This is a big On-Paper mon, but it still works.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Am I the only one who thinks OP is being a bit hasty in dismissing Life Orb? It helps to patch up Milotic's power problem (which has been a common criticism of Milotic here) so it helps Milotic to function a bit better offensively, especially if you don't get the Competitive boost. It also allows you to run status moves, which Assault Vest prevents you from doing. Hypnosis (I mean Hypnosis is shit but at least it's a sleep move,) Confuse Ray, Protect, and Light Screen, just to name a few.

Maybe Hydro Pump would be a usable move to patch up Milotic's low power? I mean, the accuracy is shit, but it's Milotic's strongest option.

Am I the only one who thinks OP is being a bit hasty in dismissing Life Orb? It helps to patch up Milotic's power problem (which has been a common criticism of Milotic here) so it helps Milotic to function a bit better offensively, especially if you don't get the Competitive boost. It also allows you to run status moves, which Assault Vest prevents you from doing. Hypnosis (I mean Hypnosis is shit but at least it's a sleep move,) Confuse Ray, Protect, and Light Screen, just to name a few.

Maybe Hydro Pump would be a usable move to patch up Milotic's low power? I mean, the accuracy is shit, but it's Milotic's strongest option.
While im not sure about LO, due to it sacrifises bulk which is Milotic's strongest point, Hydro Pump definely is viable option, as with enough SP atk investment, +2 Hydro can actually OHKO Mega Mawile, which alone is enough good reason to use it. Confuse Ray is not the best imo, as Milotic is not fast enough to abuse confusion hax and doesnt have paralyzing moves either (well, body slam and dragon breath, but both sucks hard). Plus Swagger is prob better due to it doubles confuson dmg (tho overall its more risky). Light Screen is pretty nice, tho. And Protect is good as always.

You waste 4 ev's on your spread for the assault vest. 212 defense will also get you to 126 and you can put those 4 ev's into speed to hit 102 speed.
I basically managed to get the same spread with the bold milotic I have (252 HP, 124 Def, 132 SpA), but is there anything she wants those speed evs to creep on?

I basically managed to get the same spread with the bold milotic I have (252 HP, 124 Def, 132 SpA), but is there anything she wants those speed evs to creep on?
Probably invest enough in order to outspeed 4 speed Rotom, which can be really handy. With 52 spe EVs, it does that. Other than that, not really everything else.

Is Coil viable at all in this format? I know Milotic isn't meant to set up in any way most of the time AND the Attack stat increase would be kind of pointless. But, after one Coil, you'd have a 100% accuracy Icy Wind (I do miss it sometimes) and a potential 100% Hydro Pump which not many Water-types can pull off, if any can effectively. The defense boost can also factor in as well.

I wouldn't use Coil because:

1) You'd take a hit before the defense boost. Defense boosting is best done before a hit, but at the same time, defense boosts that matter tend to be on slow pokes. In other words, the backwards distribution is an issue to defense boosting in many scenarios...unless you boost evasion too.

2) HP Grass or Ice Beam makes a better 3rd move.

3) VGC is very anti-stall. You gotta get your pokes in, and you gotta get something done. Wasting turns on defense boosts isn't always the best play. Defense boosting leads to stall, and stall isn't too strong in actual VGC events due to the timer.

Since the release of competitive milotic I have been trying to find a specific role to it. What I found was "depends". Milotic since ever has been used for defensive roles, the use of AV milotic is a pretty strong possibility at VGC like it was discussed previously. The Scald/Icywind is another possibility, putting Evs at Milotic defences and HP, as a double screener. I have seen recently at Showdown Specs milotic paired with Tailwind Zapdos...urgh, resulted at a loss to me. I wanted to balance all this Milotic capabilities, so I decided what my team needed. Before milotic I was using jellicent as Sp.Def, taunt and WoW user. Now I have paired Milotic with defence Arcanine (with WoW). I got two Walls: Togekiss (Sp.def) and Arcanine (def), milotic is more for Sp.def tank, with 100 SpAtk modest nature. After as intimidate it is capable to >80% damage into mega-khan. But hitting Khan and other megas isnt milotic's role. It serves as a link to switches between wall and sweepers (scarf mamo, for example). I have some issues with Electric pokes, especially manectric, and rock slides (wide guard), but it did serve to it's role, not as sweepers, but as tanker to safe switch my sweepers and other tanks. Here the set I have been using:

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 104 SpA / 100 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Icy Wind
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Grass]

And some calcs,

+2 100+ SpA Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 151-178 (83.4 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 100+ SpA Milotic Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 104-124 (66.2 - 78.9%) (Use 52 Speed Ev plox)

It doesn't KO Mega altaria. I'm thinking to replace my breloom with Scizor...only if Mamo fails~

Question!

I'm currently running a defensive Milotic:

Milotic @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

I'm thinking of removing Scald for Hydro Pump for more power. Does this seem like a good idea to anyone? Or should I keep Scald for the burn utility?

Question!

I'm currently running a defensive Milotic:

Milotic @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

I'm thinking of removing Scald for Hydro Pump for more power. Does this seem like a good idea to anyone? Or should I keep Scald for the burn utility?
With such defensive set, Scald is way to go.

Seconding, but I feel like going overly defensive like that doesn't work very well in practice. Without the competitive boost you're hardly denting anything, and with it you're still not doing much damage.
That's my conundrum. Given the faster pace of VGC, I was thinking it would probably be better if I had Hydro Pump for some power. Would I have been better to invest some of those def EVs into SpA?

That's my conundrum. Given the faster pace of VGC, I was thinking it would probably be better if I had Hydro Pump for some power. Would I have been better to invest some of those def EVs into SpA?
I personally think that given Milotic's decent power, you should calc for key OHKOs with Ice Beam, without the +2, just to make sure you can pick them up(Salamence, Landorus, etc). As far as Scald vs Hydro Pump goes, the only real OHKO you get with +2 Hydro Pump is Mega Mawile, and that's if you don't miss (I can't stand shaky accuracy) Other important calcs would be how much damage Milotic has to do to pick up a KO if Milotic's partner uses a spread move or something like that. I don't view Milotic as an immediate offensive threat on my team, it is there in team preview to influence the opponent's team choice and punish those for using Intimidate and provide speed control while surviving for a few turns. I personally believe the burn chance of Scald is more attractive since you also run Recover tho

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I love the AV Milotic.
Even if competitive does not activate, people still have a difficult time dealing with it.
Ice beam also saves my team from Garchomp and Salamence, without boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)