Sawk (QC 2/3)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Overview
########
  • Great ability in Mold Breaker
Sturdy has become more relevant and usable as well, so it warrants mention alongside Mold Breaker.

Physical Attacker
The Set name can probably be changed to 'Wallbreaker', since the Scarf set is also a physical attacker :/

Moves
========
  • Poison Jab is there to hit Granbull and Togetic while Earthquake nabs Poison-types like Muk
  • Zen Headbutt is a nice alternative in the final slot to hit Weezing fairly hard
- Mentioning Poison Jab and EQ in one sentence gives the impression that they are slashed, even tho that isn't the case. Mention Poison Jab as a standalone context since it is more mandatory for Sawk.
- I actually think Zen Headbutt should replace Earthquake for slashworthy last move. It hits all of the Poison-types that Earthquake does and more, most notably Qwilfish, Vileplume, and Weezing. Earthquake can still be mentioned in Moves (before Stone Edge) as it allows Sawk to attack Garbodor without touching it (thus not breaking its Sturdy or take heavy Aftermath damage), altho Garbo can still aim to break Sturdy by switching into resisted moves, so EQ's advantage becomes somewhat diminished, unless paired with Mold Breaker to ease predictions against Levitate mons.

Set Details
========
  • Life Orb is a viable option as it gives a reasonable boost in power and freedom of moves: it has recoil, however
  • Adamant nature because Sawk doesn't outspeed that many notable things, but Jolly is nice too
- Mention that LO's recoil not only clashes with Sturdy, but also gives away the fact that Sawk can switch moves, unlike Black Belt.
- What is Jolly nice for? Mention things like Adamant Kanga / Zangoose / opposing Sawks, and positive speed natured Mesprit.

Usage Tips
========
  • Also a decent anti-hazard lead: has great early game utility to weaken common hazard users such as Ferroseed and Rhydon
- This only applies for Mold Breaker Sawk. Mention that Sturdy Sawk allows it to function as a one-time check to almost any sweeper provided its health remains intact.

Team Options
========
  • Liepard is decent to scare away Mesprit and Mismagius
  • Entry hazard support is always useful, Accelgor is a particularly decent option because it can also take on Mesprit and Uxie rather well
- You could mention Sneasel as yet another mon that can scare away Mesprit and Mismagius, and can even use Pursuit to get rid of them,
- Mega Steelix is especially notable for its ability to take on the pixies, and sets up SR with ease on them.

Moves
########
  • Close Combat is strong and reliable STAB
  • Knock Off is coverage to hit Ghost- and Psychic-types and also depriving Pokemon of their items
  • Earthquake hits Muk and other Poison-types hard, Poison Jab is for fairies like Granbull and Togetic but neither is very common
  • Ice Punch hits Vileplume and Flying-types
- A more relevant example would be Weezing, which takes jack from everything else Sawk throws at it compared to Muk.
- While neither Fairies are very common, it is the lack of power Scarf Sawk lacks compared to Band Sawk that Poison Jab becomes a lackluster option (especially one to lock itself into), so emphasize that.

Usage Tips
========
  • This set is more of a revenge killer and late-game cleaner, revenging threats such as Archeops while sweeping late-game
  • Remove its counters before you try to sweep with Sawk
  • Make use of coverage moves such as Knock Off to hit anything that tries to come in on a potential Close Combat
  • Works well late game when counters are gone in order to sweep; works decently mid game too to revenge kill
- I think it is important to note the advantages Scarf Sawk has over Scarf Primeape, which has better speed (especially for Lilligant and Vivillon) as well as U-turn (momentum move + emergency Malamar check :P) which would make it the better candidate for Scarf. The emphasis of surprise factor, greater power, and more effective coverage (Mold Breaker EQ) are reasons to consider Scarf Sawk over Scarf Ape.

Other Options
########
  • Sturdy is an okay ability
  • Life Orb is kind of nice
You already mentioned these on the Wallbreaker set, so no need to list them here again.

Checks and Counters
########
  • Vileplume
  • Swellow
  • Mesprit
  • Scyther
  • Uxie
  • Faster Pokemon, such as Jynx and Rotom, but can't switch in
  • Not that many counters because its coverage is decent, but try to take advantage of whatever it gets Choice locked into
Since this is no longer a WIP, I expect this to be filled out as sections, such as "bulky Fighting resists", "faster Pokemon", etc. I'm pretty sure you can come up with more examples of this, since I am certain there are a large amount of Pokemon that deter Sawk from spamming its moves, namely Pokemon that can tank all of Sawk's attacks bar that one coverage move, like Pelipper, Granbull, Qwilfish, Vileplume, etc..., as they can give CB Sawk pause while still being able to tank Black Belt Sawk's unboosted coverage easily. You seem to have the list of capable Sawk revenge killers down so I'll leave you to that.

QC 1/3

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with everything Punchshroom said, if ZHB becomes the primary slash though I think Stone Edge should be bumped up too. You don't need Ice Punch anymore since ZHB covers Vileplume, and Stone Edge has the advantage of hitting Scyther + Mantine + Pelipper as well as just generally doing more to Flyers.

Also Xatu needs to be in TO for the first set, pivot Xatu + Sturdy Sawk is excellent

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if there is still debate about Choice Scarf or not, but I don't mind keeping it because it is a decent cleaner, especially with Sturdy.

I think the set for Physical Attacker should be like Close Combat / Knock Off / Zen Headbutt / Stone Edge. Granbull is rare, and the only other relevant Fairy-type is Togetic, which gets hit harder by Stone Edge anyways. Maybe slash Ice Punch with Stone Edge because it's more accurate. Pelipper is rare anyways, Scyther still doesn't like taking Banded Ice Punch, and Mantine doesn't take Banded Close Combat for shit. Maybe make it Ice Punch for Band and Stone Edge for Black Belt since it will want the extra power?

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
ScraftyIsTheBest are you still working on this? >:(

do everything users above said

please keep scarf sawk, its good

update the analyse with the drops, remove mentions of accelgor and kabutops.

scarf's team option is weird; specs pyroar? theres a lot more better wallbreakers in nu, ex: typh!, also.. probopass? sorry but beside trapping steelix, its not that great in this meta and there's a lot of mons that can bring sawk in: rotom, scyther, sdpass leafeon, etc. add more mons too :)

blast edit: too lazy to post + saving up for 1k but I'm taking back my rejection for Scarf Sawk, it's good enough to stay

Last edited by a moderator:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I've updated this thing and this is ready for another QC Check.

P.S.: The Probopass mention (now removed) was a relic of the days when Slurpuff was NU, lol.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Your Moves section isn't really updated to the changes. Stone Edge should be mentioned before Ice Punch, and also mentioned in a more positive note than Ice Punch since it hits more targets aka Flying-types, most notably Mantine and Pelipper (Do realize this is why Zen Headbutt is suggested over EQ :I ). Mention Rotom-S as a target as well.

Earthquake is a decent option to hit Garbodor without any residual damage from Aftermath or Rocky Helmet, but it can take on the other moves and thus it has less value unless Mold Breaker
The phrasing makes no sense. Do you mean to say Sawk can still take on Garbo with Zen Headbutt and keep more important coverage options?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh yeah, and for the record I fixed that up a bit so I think this is ready for another check.
"Zen Headbutt is a nice alternative in the final slot to hit Weezing fairly hard as well as other"
:v4:
-finish sentence lol
-saying its a nice alternative isn't correct since it has its own moveslot

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mention what Jolly does on Band Sawk: lets it outspeed other Adamant Sawk, Adamant Kanga, Adamant Zangoose, and Timid Mesprit
  • Also a decent anti-hazard lead: has great early game utility to weaken common hazard users such as Ferroseed and Rhydon if Mold Breaker is chosen
Mold Breaker doesn't help with either of these. Sturdy Sawk's job isn't really to deter hazards anyway, there are better ways to do that and it mainly just wants to come in on slower stuff to start breaking things.

Also like I said before, add Xatu in Team Options for Band Sawk. Xatu provides Magic Bounce support which works great with Sturdy and gives U-turn support as well. It also deals with bulky Poisons

ScraftyIsTheBest

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
ScraftyIsTheBest Go through and remove mentions of Steelix, Mega Steelix, Virizion, and Heliolisk now that they're all gone!

Also you're at 2/3 once you implement past checks, please do that and write this up! You're close, don't let this die :(

i am reassigning this due to the ridiculous amount of time its taken to get this far, as Sawk is an important Pokemon and needs an analysis ASAP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)