ORAS OU The Mechanical Rhythm

Hello my dears ^^ I'm King DDD, sovereign of DreamLand and new user on Smogon. I'm here because I would have some advices about the creation of a team with my favourite mon, Mega Metagross. I spent a lot of weeks to elaborate something nice and after some experimentations and exchanges of ideas I'm arrived to this point.
So I show you the team:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake/Hammer Arm

The star of my team, thanks to its new trait it is very dangerous and it can make a lot of damages to opponents; besides its 110 Spe is very cute, but I think that it could be useful play it with Bullet punch, a great STAB move to revengekill faster threats, avoid Speed ties with opposing base 110 Speed Pokemon when they are weakened! It could save me in very hard situations (for ex. against injured Bisharp to finish it). Then two very classical and important STAB moves, Meteor Mash ( with a great power and hitting the Fairy-types) and Zen Headbutt (it's necessary vs Fighting types that Metagross checks and it can also flinch opponent with a bit of luck). About last move I'm undecided between EQ or Hammer Arm: generally the second is more useful but I already have Fighting move with Chesnaught, si I prefer EQ. Anyway I wait for your opinion ^^

Keldeo @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Scald
- Secret Sword

After classical specs sets, I thought to try my scarfpony (?), but a friend of mine adviced me to use this particular set: Subtitute protects Keldeo from status and revengekillers while it boosts Special stats with CM to get enough power to sweep late-game; and leftovers to recover. Keldeo is a good counter to crocune and slowbro sine Psyshock (it could win CM war thanks to Secret Sword, a powerful STAB). At last Scald is Keldeo's STAB move of choice, and its 30% chance to burn the opponent makes it able to debilitate its physical checks. Anyway I dont have ever use this set, so I ask to you what do you think.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar/Protect
- Stealth rock

Classical special defensive set, with 68 to outpeed crocune and Megasaur and Lavaplume as STAB and with high possibilities to burns. Stealth rock makes it a good setter and toxic + protect are great for wearing down the opponent, but the use of Protect may become very predictable, so I thought to Roar or Taunt againts setuppers for example. It works very well with clefable and chesnaught: Clefable is a great partner for Heatran, as it can easily take Fighting-type attacks, while Heatran easily takes on the Steel-types that annoy Clefable; chesnaught makes a great hazard core thanks to Spikes and Leechseed. At last tran absorbs fire damages vs MGross...a great team mate :)

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch

I love chesnaught, it is a very bulky mon with interesting moves: Spikes is the most important to work with SR of firefrog and makes it a very good co-hazard; Leechseed + leftovers + Spiky Shield are very annoying (and the last also damages foes that try to hit Chesnaught physically). About last move I could run Drain Punch for a reliable Fighting-type STAB move that also gets more recovery together leftovers, or I could opt for Wood Hammer/ Hammer Arm, more powerful STAB move for hard hitting. Two other alternatives could be Rocky helmet > leftovers to make more damages with Spiky Shield; or Roar > SShield to work as tran. What do you think?

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- U-turn

My powerful scarfdragon, before there was ScarflandoT or scarfttar, then a good player advice me this, so I show its classical scarf set: Draco Meteor is Hydreigon's strongest STAB move and kill many offensive Pokemon after some prior damage. Dark Pulse is the other strong STAB move to hit Psychic and Ghost types as MGross or Gengar. U-turn is a safety move; at last I chose Earth power because it provides important coverage against Ttar, tran and Bisharp for example, while Fire blast is good but I can cover scizor and thorn with other members of the team I think.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
236 HP / 232 Def / 40 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock off

Last mon (but not the worst) Clefable! Classical set with a more defensive spread, CM boosters its special stats allowing it to make Moonblast very powerful. The particularity of this set is the choice of Knock off: this is only an experiment, but it is a nice alternative that allows me to not only remove the recovery Tran for ex, but also to make useless Gothitelle/latwins on the switch. It also makes life easier against stuff that needs a boosting item to get serious damage, or against Avest users at random. Flamethrower is also useful but all its targets are already covered by the rest of the team and Hp gound generally is not so much useful...et voila' XD , thanks to Knockoff Fable could make easier life of other team mates ^^

So, these are some ideas I made, but I know there are a lot of problems again (for ex. Talon)...I hope you could help me with you advices to improve my team and makes it the most powerful possible!
King DD will be eternally grateful with you ^^

Ah, I almost forgot the export:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar
- Stealth rock

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
236 HP / 232 Def / 40 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock off

I wait for your opinions my dears ^^

DDD

Hey, I have some minor suggestions that should help. I think that the team would benefit more from an Unaware Clefable instead of a Magic Guard Clefable. Heatran + Chesnaught + Clefable is a pretty decent defensive core but it's susceptible to setup sweepers, especially fighting types like Swords Dance M-Gallade and Power-up-Punch Lopunny. A Protect / Wish / Moonblast / Heal Bell moveset would be ideal. This way Clefable can replenish its teammates HP and cure them of status ailments with Heal Bell. Your team is also pretty slow and it's weak to Water and Fighting, two very common offensive types in the meta at the moment. I recommend giving Keldeo a Choice Scarf so it can revenge KO common scarfers and speedy mega-formes like Landorus-T and M-Beedrill. Choice Scarf Keldeo can possibly double as a cleaner because of its high base speed. You should also swap Hydreigon for Latios. Latios's Fighting resistance and superior base speed is what separates the two. Plus it won't be smart to lock Hydreigon into Dark Pulse or a .5 SPA Draco Meteor, which would provide an excellent opportunity for CM Keldeo to sweep the team. Keldeo + Chesnaught are enough to handle every Dark type threat to Latios and M-Metagross, so don't worry about using two Psychics. You could also lure in Dark types with Latios and smack them with Hidden Power [Fighting]. That's pretty much it, enjoy.
SO ICY INC $$ (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Calm Mind

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Knock Off Clef...that's pretty cool! I'm not sure how useful it will be though; if you find yourself being shut down by too many Scizors or Ferrothorns, then consider switching to Flamethrower. But if you like it (and it works), stick with it! I myself love using unusual stuff - it catches your opponent off guard, and that can make all the difference.

A popular choice on Metagross is to have Ice Punch. This allows it to hit Landorus, which is pretty much staple on most teams nowadays. You can also hit Dragonite, Garchomp, Gliscor, Zapdos and Salamence hard, just to name a few. I notice you don't have any other Ice moves. You don't NEED to run an Ice move on every team, but I find that having an Ice type move is always very useful.

Another alternative (like Rob. suggested) is to run Scarfed Keldeo. You can run Scald/Hydro Pump/Secret Sword/Icy Wind, with the last move giving you that nice Ice coverage. Scarfed Keldeo is one of the best revenge killers in the game. But of course, having two scarfers isn't normally ideal. You could switch out Hydreigon for something else, but I was thinking that you should get a Spinner. Either of the Lati's would add a nice Fighting resist and give you Defog, but I always found that Defog+Spikes is rather pointless. Excadrill comes to mind, but I'm not sure how well it would synergise with your team as it adds a Fighting weakness (although having an Electric immunity is nice in case you run into Specs Raikou.)

Hey, I have some minor suggestions that should help. I think that the team would benefit more from an Unaware Clefable instead of a Magic Guard Clefable. Heatran + Chesnaught + Clefable is a pretty decent defensive core but it's susceptible to setup sweepers, especially fighting types like Swords Dance M-Gallade and Power-up-Punch Lopunny. A Protect / Wish / Moonblast / Heal Bell moveset would be ideal. This way Clefable can replenish its teammates HP and cure them of status ailments with Heal Bell. Your team is also pretty slow and it's weak to Water and Fighting, two very common offensive types in the meta at the moment. I recommend giving Keldeo a Choice Scarf so it can revenge KO common scarfers and speedy mega-formes like Landorus-T and M-Beedrill. Choice Scarf Keldeo can possibly double as a cleaner because of its high base speed. You should also swap Hydreigon for Latios. Latios's Fighting resistance and superior base speed is what separates the two. Plus it won't be smart to lock Hydreigon into Dark Pulse or a .5 SPA Draco Meteor, which would provide an excellent opportunity for CM Keldeo to sweep the team. Keldeo + Chesnaught are enough to handle every Dark type threat to Latios and M-Metagross, so don't worry about using two Psychics. You could also lure in Dark types with Latios and smack them with Hidden Power [Fighting]. That's pretty much it, enjoy.
SO ICY INC $$ (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Calm Mind

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind
Thanks for advices! So you suggest this clefable:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Spread is ok? Anyway without CMKeldeo and CMFable I'm weak to Crocune and Mbro (even if I have unaware, with the current spread I'm weak in SDef and Bro could be a problem) Besides Knock off on fable was interesting...obv with scarfdeo change hydreigon for Latios is a good idea, but i have always some weakness to talonflame and slowbro for ex. What do you think?

Knock Off Clef...that's pretty cool! I'm not sure how useful it will be though; if you find yourself being shut down by too many Scizors or Ferrothorns, then consider switching to Flamethrower. But if you like it (and it works), stick with it! I myself love using unusual stuff - it catches your opponent off guard, and that can make all the difference.

A popular choice on Metagross is to have Ice Punch. This allows it to hit Landorus, which is pretty much staple on most teams nowadays. You can also hit Dragonite, Garchomp, Gliscor, Zapdos and Salamence hard, just to name a few. I notice you don't have any other Ice moves. You don't NEED to run an Ice move on every team, but I find that having an Ice type move is always very useful.

Another alternative (like Rob. suggested) is to run Scarfed Keldeo. You can run Scald/Hydro Pump/Secret Sword/Icy Wind, with the last move giving you that nice Ice coverage. Scarfed Keldeo is one of the best revenge killers in the game. But of course, having two scarfers isn't normally ideal. You could switch out Hydreigon for something else, but I was thinking that you should get a Spinner. Either of the Lati's would add a nice Fighting resist and give you Defog, but I always found that Defog+Spikes is rather pointless. Excadrill comes to mind, but I'm not sure how well it would synergise with your team as it adds a Fighting weakness (although having an Electric immunity is nice in case you run into Specs Raikou.)
Ya, scarfdeo and latios are just considered ^^ And IceP is a very good choice that I tried > BP, but BP is very important for MGross! So what could I change for it?

Hmm...honestly, you might be better off with your current Metagross set then. Dual STAB in Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt is a staple, and your team lacks priority, so BP is definitely a must. You could replace Earthquake with Ice Punch, but then your Metagross is sort've walled by opposing Heatran. Earthquake allows it to beat Heatran (and also stuff like Magnezone and Jirachi) whereas Ice Punch lets you get passed Dragons...I suppose it's up to you. If you find yourself running into too many Heatrans, then run EQ. If Heatran isn't too much of a problem, then run Ice Punch.

Hi there, couple of quick notes. You could consider running Taunt over Roar on Heatran since you're already running speed investment. This allows you to shut down CroBro and CroCune, as well as prevent Belly Drum Azu from setting up, or Mega Venu from Leech Seeding (beware of EQ Mega Venu though, not sure how common it is these days). Definitely stay with your current Chesnaught set, dual recovery from Leftovers + Leech Seed and then spamming Spiky Shield makes Chesnaught a huge nuisance and very difficult to deal with. I agree with the other posters that Sub CM Keldeo isn't exactly the best fit considering you already have CM Clef to do the job intended for CM Keldeo. Specs or Scarf would definitely be a better option.

If you still want to use Hydreigon, a wallbreaker set works better than a Scarf set. With a Life Orb and a Modest nature, it can deal a lot of damage and really hurt balanced cores. Draco Meteor / Dark Pulse / Flash Cannon / Earth Power does an excellent job of luring out Heatran and Clefable, in addition to hurting a bunch of other defensive mons with it's STABs. It also has great offensive synergy with Metagross, as they break down each others checks. Specifically, it does a great job forcing out Slowbro, which otherwise walls Keldeo and Metagross.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Hi there, couple of quick notes. You could consider running Taunt over Roar on Heatran since you're already running speed investment. This allows you to shut down CroBro and CroCune, as well as prevent Belly Drum Azu from setting up, or Mega Venu from Leech Seeding (beware of EQ Mega Venu though, not sure how common it is these days). Definitely stay with your current Chesnaught set, dual recovery from Leftovers + Leech Seed and then spamming Spiky Shield makes Chesnaught a huge nuisance and very difficult to deal with. I agree with the other posters that Sub CM Keldeo isn't exactly the best fit considering you already have CM Clef to do the job intended for CM Keldeo. Specs or Scarf would definitely be a better option.
I agree with Taunt, it could be a good Choice, and i maintain that spread for tran (?)
Then keldeo: if I change CM fable to unaware i could maintain CMKeldeo? And what do you think about scarfdreigon?

If you still want to use Hydreigon, a wallbreaker set works better than a Scarf set. With a Life Orb and a Modest nature, it can deal a lot of damage and really hurt balanced cores. Draco Meteor / Dark Pulse / Flash Cannon / Earth Power does an excellent job of luring out Heatran and Clefable, in addition to hurting a bunch of other defensive mons with it's STABs. It also has great offensive synergy with Metagross, as they break down each others checks. Specifically, it does a great job forcing out Slowbro, which otherwise walls Keldeo and Metagross.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
So you advice to play lifeorbdreigon modest...is it not too much slow? (It's only a question because I dont ever play it); then what do u think about clafable and keldeo?

I agree with Taunt, it could be a good Choice, and i maintain that spread for tran (?)
Then keldeo: if I change CM fable to unaware i could maintain CMKeldeo? And what do you think about scarfdreigon?
Yes, same spread for Heatran. I suppose you could keep CM Keldeo if you switch to Unaware Clef. I just don't know how well CM Keldeo fits on this team. Scarf Hydreigon is pretty much outclassed by the Lati twins, other than maybe having a smaller weakness to Pursuit. You already have a lot of ways to punish Pursuit trappers, so personally I would just run Lati. Up to you though.

So you advice to play lifeorbdreigon modest...is it not too much slow? (It's only a question because I dont ever play it); then what do u think about clafable and keldeo?
Modest Life Orb is definitely held back in the current OU metagame by its speed. 98 Base Speed is simply not good enough to outspeed the plethora of relevant threats.

Yes, same spread for Heatran. I suppose you could keep CM Keldeo if you switch to Unaware Clef. I just don't know how well CM Keldeo fits on this team. Scarf Hydreigon is pretty much outclassed by the Lati twins, other than maybe having a smaller weakness to Pursuit. You already have a lot of ways to punish Pursuit trappers, so personally I would just run Lati. Up to you though.

Modest Life Orb is definitely held back in the current OU metagame by its speed. 98 Base Speed is simply not good enough to outspeed the plethora of relevant threats.
Very well! So definitelly I could have Clefable unaware, latios (hp fight or CM) and ScarfKeldeo? (+ classical MGross BP, Chesnaught and Tran) as also Rob. suggested me ?

And tran Roar or Taunt?

You Lack Hazard Removal (Preferably a Rapid Spinner)
This Keldeo might be better at filling more weaknesses. Since stall teams will likely have counters for the sub mind I.E. Slowbro / Clefable

Keldeo @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Timid: 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power (Bug) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 236-278 (59.8 - 70.5%)

Your team Hates M-Gardevoir, so Dragonite may be a better replacement because Multiscale:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe (EV spread is your choice)
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Extreme Speed / Iron Head / Earthquake / Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

It's not too slow for a wallbreaker. 98 speed is more than enough to outpace every relevant defensive balance and stall mon. If you are thinking more in terms of speed, your better off going with an initially faster Dragon, like the Latios Rob suggested. The wallbreaker set is more if you wanted to keep using Hydre, that's it's most effective set in OU atm.

Thanks for advices! So you suggest this clefable:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Spread is ok? Anyway without CMKeldeo and CMFable I'm weak to Crocune and Mbro (even if I have unaware, with the current spread I'm weak in SDef and Bro could be a problem) Besides Knock off on fable was interesting...obv with scarfdeo change hydreigon for Latios is a good idea, but i have always some weakness to talonflame and slowbro for ex. What do you think?
The meta is really restrictive right now, so it's very difficult to build balanced teams. Like you mentioned, changing moves / mon's will leave you open to being smashed by something else. It's an inevitable part of building teams and playing competitively. But, you could probably use Calm Mind Unaware Clefable to mitigate the CM Suicune and CM Bro weakness.

Hydreigon is good perhaps, but Latios is better (even if I can't stop MGross). Anyway I Thought to change clefable to LandT leftovers defensive to set Stealth rock, so Heatran could have set with Lava Plume/Protect/Toxic/Taunt. And play ScarfKeldeo obv with Icy wind + Latios CM.
So definitelly I'll have:
-metagross (my set)
-chesnaught defensive
-Tran Lava Plume/Protect/Toxic/Taunt
-Scarf Keldeo Icy wind
-Latios CM
-Fable unaware or LandorusT (As SR setter)

What do you think?

CM Latios? Why not the common stall CM-Latias:

Latias @ Leftovers? (usually the mega does this.)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Recover ( but with Lefties you might want Hidden Power [Fire] instead, probably not...)

The problem with this set is taking out the dark types, but it can sweep with them removed.

The Keldeo I suggested earlier can get rid or M-Gryados. And if you do this, get rid of toxic for Flash Cannon or Taunt for Unaware-Clefable.

I think defensive starmie over keldeo would greatly strengthen your defensive core. Firstly it eliminates hazards obviously and secondly you lose your megagross weakness.
I would reccomend;
252hp/224spd/32def timid leftovers
Scald
Psyshock/Ice Beam
Recover
Rapid spin

and another possible suggestion would be to change Heatran to timid max speed with HP. If you do this run taunt over roar. This would eliminate your gaping weakness to Jolly swords dance mega scizor, while still checking latis. I also agree that Clef should be unaware because bouncing non mega gyara is a problem, and I would probably run calm mind on it in this kind of team setup imo. Hope i helped.

edit: Softboiled is not compatible with unaware so you have two options imo which would be run wish protect and cm or stay magic guard. I think this decision is down to opinion so i reccomend to try both.

Last edited:
Too many psyshic types if I put starmie, than my team is not so suffering to rocks, anyway latios could have CM or Hp fight eventually! Then I was thinking...tran with magmastorm or simple scarftran how could be it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)