XY OU So I'm super new to competitive...

As the title says, I'm very new to competitive, having only two years ago purchased a ds/3ds. I figured welp, prolly oughta get started now.
Here's the team:

Mega Altaria @ Altariaite
Pixelate
Modest
Special Attacker
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Hyper Voice
Draco Meteor
Roost
Flamethrower

Mega Altaria Seems like a fun mega, what with Pixelate and being Dragon/fairy. Hyper Voice is to take advantage of Pixelate+ STAB (since Pixelate makes any Normal type move Fairy, with a little boost in power). I also have STAB with Draco Meteor to unnecessarily smack any dragons around some more. I've got Roost for obvious recovery, and Flamethrower for whatever the STAB can't knock out too easily (ie, Ice, Poison, Dark, etc).

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Overgrow
Careful
Physical Tank
232 HP/252 SpA/4SpD/20 Spe
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb/Energy Ball
Earthquake
Giga Drain

One of my favorite Pokemon. Not too sure about the moveset I've marked down, as it's completely different from the Leech/ E. Ball, Sludge bomb/ P. Powder I usually run. Am I using a good moveset here? I'm also not sure if I should E. ball or Seed Bomb on it. As you can see, I've not made a solid decision there. Is one better than the other for any particular reasons?

Gliscor@ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Physical Sweeper
252 HP/56 Def/200 Spe
Earthquake
Ice Fang
X-Scissor
Roost

Gliscor is an unholy terror, so that gave it a place on my team. Some people seem to use it as a setup or stall, but I'm gonna run him with a sweeper setup. Earthquake for STAB coverage, Ice Fang for Groundies, Grass types, and Dragons, X-scissor for the rest and how powerful it is. Roost for a smidge of extra health in case the Toxic Orb ain't quite cutting it quickly enough.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Natural Cure
Bold
Team Healer
4 HP/252 Def/252 SpD
Wish
Soft Boiled
Seismic Toss
Toxic

Now for the axolotl cleric. Wish for blatent self heal, Soft boiled for the team, Toxic for giving the enemy health problems, and Seismic Toss for a bit of hitting power so it's not totally defenseless. I gave it the eviolite for that extra smackdown juice it doesn't actually need, just for good measure. I've read that item makes Chansey a better choice than Blissey.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
Calm
Hazard Lead
252 HP/4 SpA/252 SpD
Lava Plume
Stealth Rock
Taunt
Earth Power

Again, doing the opposite of what most people seem to run, meaning heavy offence. This means I gotta boost up that Speed stat, as Heatran is my hazard setup, opening with Taunt, and then dropping a layer of Stealth Rock, now that the opponent cannot do that themselves. Little bit of Lava Plume for its only STAB move, and Earth Power for a smidge of coverage. Like Venusaur, I'm not certain this is the best move for it.

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Levitate
Serious
Special Tank
252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 HP
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Hidden Power (Ice)
Shadow Ball

I've never actually used Rotom outside of its base form. Here, I'm using the little guy in its washing machine form as a special tank. Volt Switch for any kinds of problems he has, unfortunately limited Hydro Pump for STAB (although it might get replaced with a different Water type move-I'm open to suggestions), Hidden Power Ice for spread, and rounded off with Shadow Ball. Overall, pretty similar to my usual vanilla Rotom loadout.

I'm willing to accept pretty much any changes for team members, natures, EVs or movesets. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm super new to this so I really don't know too well what I'm doing yet.

Last edited:
I have a few suggestions about your Mega Altaria. I would suggest dropping Draco Meteor completely. Hyper Voice already gets Fairy STAB to hit dragons super effectively, so Draco Meteor is a waste of a slot since you'll want to be using Hyper Voice over Draco Meteor in almost every situation barring Pokemon that resist fairy. This might make fire types difficult to handle, but you could put some points into ATK and run Earthquake or simply stick with Dragon Pulse for neutral damage without the drawbacks of Meteor. Major threats like Heatran don't care if you're using Meteor or Fairy STAB, so it might be wise to go for Earthquake. I'm not sure how many ATK evs you'd need, so someone might need to calc that.

Last edited:
alright i got a few notes about your sets. as well as a few team member sugestions.

1: on mega altaria drop draco for earthquake and flamethrower for fire blast
2:i highly recomend switching venu for somthing else. seriously only use normal venu under sun (its meh even then)
3: on gliscor i recomend using a set of: sub+toxic+protect+earthquake its a lot more efficient then the current set.
4: i dont really see much of a point of using both wish AND softboiled. id say but heal bell on but...gliscors poison is removed..
5:dont use specs rotom. its never been good in gen 6 i recomend changing it to: 252 hp/212 def/44 speed this allows you to outspeed certain azumaril spreads. also put pain split/volt switch/hydro pump and wil-o-whisp and bold nature.

also im not quite sure if this is a stall team or not but it looks really weird to me. Replace venu with somthing like a skarmory or ferrothorn. its kinda hard for me to make fixes to the team without removing everything.

other then that hope i helped! welcome to smogon!

Hiya, and welcome to competitive Pokemon! This team is pretty good for a first team, and I have some suggestions:
  • I would use Fire Blast over Flamethrower for the sake of power. Check out the calcs below:
    [*]252+ SpA Mega Altaria Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 272-322 (75.3 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

[*]252+ SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 332-392 (91.9 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

[*]252+ SpA Mega Altaria Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 292-348 (82.9 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

[*]252+ SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 360-424 (102.2 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

[*]252+ SpA Mega Altaria Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 210-248 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

[*]252+ SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 256-302 (91.1 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

As you can see, Fire Blast provides the power necessary to OHKO (or at least come close to) Steel-types that resist both of Mega Altaria's other moves
  • I'm not sure about using Gliscor as a physical sweeper. It might seem good on paper, but Gliscor is really more suited towards a support or defensive role. You're better off using Landorus-T instead. Try a set like this:
    Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Knock Off
    - Stone Edge
    Since some players will expect a defensive set with Rotom-W, you can catch them off-guard with this offensively-oriented physical sweeping set. Scarf is used to provide as much speed as possible in the speed-based meta that is OU. There are 24 EVs invested in defense to help take physical hits more easily, with the rest being put into speed and power to maximize its sweeping potential. Earthquake is the main STAB, with Stone Edge acting as coverage to form a versatile EdgeQuake coverage. Knock Off can hit Pokemon like the Lati twins and Gengar, and comes with the added bonus of removing the opponent's item. Finally, U-Turn allows you to gain offensive momentum while forming a nice VoltTurn core with Rotom-W.
  • You can try a 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe spread on Heatran to reduce damage from hazards while buffing special defense and outspeeding most variants of Mega Venusaur and max Adamant Azumarill. You can also try using Toxic over Earth Power to stall out Pokemon you can't hit with Lava Plume and counter VoltTurn, but you can keep Earth Power if you find the coverage to be helpful.
  • On Rotom-W, I would make the following changes:
    Choice Specs to Leftovers: Rotom-W, being as it is your special tank, needs a form of passive recovery over increased power. In addition, it locks you into a move and will therefore make it switch more than it would like as a tank.
    Serious to Calm: Serious is a neutral nature, so it wouldn't help out Rotom-W at all. Using a Calm nature can boost your special defense while reducing your unneeded attack.
    252 SpD / 252 SpA / 4 HP to 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe: This will allow you to outspeed and burn Jolly Azumarill, while reducing residual damage and dumping the rest into special defense.
    HP Ice to Will O' Wisp: HP Ice was mostly used on Rotom-W as a way to counter Mega Salamence, and the coverage isn't necessary since Rotom-W is acting as a more defensive Pokemon. Will O' Wisp can help cripple physical attackers that it is more prone to.
    Shadow Ball to Pain Split: As stated above, the coverage isn't necessary on Rotom-W. Pain Split is superior as, in conjunction with Leftovers, it can provide effective recovery while damaging the opponent.
  • As a note, make sure that all of your specially-oriented Pokemon have 0 IVs in Attack. This will reduce damage from confusion and moves like Foul Play.
These are only suggestions, so you don't have to use each and every one of them. I hope I helped, though! n_n
Good luck on your team! =)
~~~
Since you're new to competitive battling, I would recommend checking out the following links:
  • Battling 101 Forum - As Sparkl3y stated above, the Battling 101 Forum is a great starting place for competitive players. You can sign up for the Apprentice Program, which is when you are paired up with a competitive expert who can show you the ropes of competitive battle. Sign-ups are starting again in February!
  • Smogon Starters Hangout Forum - Another useful forum for getting into Smogon, you can learn more about Smogon and its happenings here! I find that this post is the most helpful in learning about the site.
  • SQSA Masterpost - Have a question you think can be answered in one post? Here's a list of the Simple Questions and Simple Answers thread, where you can ask or answer questions that can be solved in one post.
  • In addition, you can always ask for help from a mentor or tutor. They have the Heart badge on their profile.
Once again, welcome to Smogon and competitive battling! Happy battling! n_n

Last edited:
Oh wow, thanks guys! Sorry about the confusion as to how the team is to be used. I'm not a super serious player, so I'm really just using them for goofing around.
I made those changes to Rotom-W, but I'm not 100% on Landorus-T its so ugly! but it looks like it hits like a mac truck, so I'll keep it in mind to swap out with Gliscor. Any other ideas for swapping Venusaur and/or Gliscor out?

keep in mind that you shouldent care if it looks ugly its not about that. Landorus t is a REALLY good pokemon. ill edit my post with replacements soon but im doing somthing else atm.

Edit: alright finished what i had to do so i guess ill tell you what you can possibly change.

im pretty sure someone above mentioned swaping gliscor for scarf landorus t if im right so theres one change. As for venu....id say maybe celibi. you can probably run a LO set with 3 attacks+recover or run a NastyPass set to pass +2 sp.a to mega alt.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is LO? Also, I'd prefer not to load up half my team as legendaries.... I know they have really good stats, but I prefer not to use them. I's bad enough I have Heatran on this team.

Oh wow, thanks guys! Sorry about the confusion as to how the team is to be used. I'm not a super serious player, so I'm really just using them for goofing around.
There goes half your rates, but seriously here are some sets pushing your team towards stall, and killing Talonflame & Clefable the two biggest annoyances to your team:
Mega Altaria @ Altariaite
Ability: Pixelate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Fire Blast

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Serious Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp
- Rest

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Ancient Power

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Wave
- Earthquake / Knock Off
- Giga Drain

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Toxic / Earthquake
- Taunt

Chansey @ Eviolite
Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)