Battle of Hoenn [Online Competition] - Finished! Erebyssial Wins!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They sure are! Which is making me feel even more depressed about not being able to play more...

At least we get usage stats to look at! Now I know I didn't get to play on-cart a whole lot but I did play on the sim in preperation. Blaziken at #1 really surprises me! Not to mention the most popular set was Life Orb. I would have thought it was Focus Sash or bust with all the Mega Mence / Gross taking up a mega slot, and Orb going to regular 'Mences (only 2.4% had LO!). Speaking of 'Mence, obviously its mega evolution was insanely popular, but its moves are pretty interesting. Return is at #10 (13.8%) with Facade just edging it out (15.3%). Hydro Pump isn't even in there meaning that Rhyperior would have indeed been a great counter to it. Zen Headbutt at #3 with 65.6% usage on Metagross is crazy high in my opinion, what was it being used to hit? Running it really limited your other coverage moves as [Steel STAB] / Bullet Punch / Earthquake / Ice Punch were all really important options, if you have Zen Headbutt then you have to drop one... Grass Knot was used on 4.5% of 'Gross but the tally of non-SpA-hindering natures is 4.3% so that's kinda odd. Breloom at #5 is surprisingly low, with Gardevoir getting #4! 15% of Breloom users didn't have Spore either. Sableye is also lower than I thought it would be. I'm not really sure what to make of the statistics to be honest. I thought it would be:
  1. Salamence
  2. Metagross
  3. Breloom
  4. Sableye
  5. Blaziken
  6. Aggron (after how much we discussed it here, surely others would have figured out how good it was. It didn't even get onto the top 12)
  7. Latios (every OR player would have one, not to mention it's good)
  8. Manectric (another that didn't make the list)
  9. Altaria (not surprised it didn't make it, but it's a good 'mon in the format)
  10. Azumarill
  11. Gyarados
  12. Roserade or Donphan (neither made it)

Pokemon - #1 move - #1 Ability - #1 Nature - #1 Item (bold = surprise imo)​
  1. Blaziken - Protect - Speed Boost - Adamant - Life Orb
  2. Salamence - Earthquake - Intimidate - Adamant - Salamencite
  3. Metagross - Bullet Punch - Clear Body - Adamant - Metagrossite
  4. Gardevoir - Moonblast - Trace - Modest - Choice Scarf
  5. Breloom - Spore - Technician - Jolly - Focus Sash
  6. Azumarill - Play Rough - Huge Power - Adamant - Sitrus Berry
  7. Gyarados - Ice Fang - Intimidate - Impish - Rocky Helmet
  8. Sableye - Will-O-Wisp - Prankster - Bold - Leftovers
  9. Swampert - Earthquake - Torrent - Adamant - Sitrus Berry
  10. Mawile - Play Rough - Intimidate - Adamant - Mawilite
  11. Magnezone - Flash Cannon - Sturdy - Modest - Choice Specs
  12. Latios - Draco Meteor - Levitate - Timid - Choice Specs
So much adamant, wasn't there a lot of Intimidate?

So yeah, this meta was appeared to be crazy

The results are finally in! I've been waiting for this ever since the comp. ended. Sad that our prize is getting delayed to the 17th, but who cares? We'll get it eventually.

As it turns out, my w/l was 22:8, so that last battle counted as a win. I was extremely surprised with my rankings, both overall and locally. I'd never have imagined I'd do as good as I did.

World Ranking.PNG

Local Ranking.PNG

So I ended up being in the top 600 overall in the end. I guess all my passive learning payed off. Looking back, I think I could have done better had I not made some bad plays and predictions. Surprisingly, I came in at number 1 over here in Austria, so I guess there's not that many players here. Still, this competition shed some light and revealed a side of me I never would have thought I had simply by going in circles on my bike. I would like to say the motivation came from the prize (naturally) and the limited amount of 'mons to choose from. I don't think I would have done half as good, if I had to choose from almost 700 'mons in total. I also really enjoyed not seeing some things such as Chansey, Garchomp, Gliscor, Greninja and Talonflame. I hope there are more "regional" competitions in the future. ^_^

Ended up with 1695, good for 3rd place in Norway. Some things I noticed:

- Once again, japan dominates a very limited metagame where creativity plays a huge role
- My fellow norwegian "Chris" got 1772, number 18 in the world and the second highest non-japanese player (behind an austalian I think). epic
- USA did quite bad compared to their number of participants, with the best being at around 1720 iirc
- Sejun, who dominated Showdown, had a tough time in the actual competition.
- The pokemon usage list includes most of the strongest pokemon in general. When playing on PS, it's very tempting to always counter what's popular (In the beginning, it was Salamence and Breloom, then it was Manectric etc). But I think it is dangerous to focus too much on counter-teaming, because that only works against the threats that are popular at the moment. As the usage list tells us, All the biggest threats will always dominate the usage stats. My guess is that the best players didn't win because they were able to endure anything that was thrown at them, but because they came up with a pattern of plays that was very difficult to stop, if that made sence lol. But idk

I really want to know how many japanese players that entered compared to, let's say, USA or maybe Europe as a whole. Bottow line is still that we (the whole "western" community) have a lot to learn from them ;)

Oh wow I got into the top 10 by a few points with 1781! I expected that benchmark to be closer to 1800 like past comps. Not gonna lie, feels good to be up with the rest of Japan like that.

Usage stats look like they went as expected to me, nothing too much out of the ordinary. I'm glad only 16% of Gyarados were mega because that shit is devastating and ruined my team especially, but makes sense considering the other mega options and the viability of the defensive set. 8% of Azumarill had Sap Sipper? Interesting idea to surprise counter Breloom as well as things like Blaziken I assume. And as a Crawdaunt user I'm surprised to see Dragon Dance used more over Swords Dance, honestly when teambuilding DD completely slipped my mind so I never tested it, but SD did its job for me.

At least we get usage stats to look at! Now I know I didn't get to play on-cart a whole lot but I did play on the sim in preperation. Blaziken at #1 really surprises me! Not to mention the most popular set was Life Orb. I would have thought it was Focus Sash or bust with all the Mega Mence / Gross taking up a mega slot, and Orb going to regular 'Mences (only 2.4% had LO!). Speaking of 'Mence, obviously its mega evolution was insanely popular, but its moves are pretty interesting. Return is at #10 (13.8%) with Facade just edging it out (15.3%). Hydro Pump isn't even in there meaning that Rhyperior would have indeed been a great counter to it. Zen Headbutt at #3 with 65.6% usage on Metagross is crazy high in my opinion, what was it being used to hit? Running it really limited your other coverage moves as [Steel STAB] / Bullet Punch / Earthquake / Ice Punch were all really important options, if you have Zen Headbutt then you have to drop one... Grass Knot was used on 4.5% of 'Gross but the tally of non-SpA-hindering natures is 4.3% so that's kinda odd. Breloom at #5 is surprisingly low, with Gardevoir getting #4! 15% of Breloom users didn't have Spore either. Sableye is also lower than I thought it would be.
Yeah deciding between Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt was basically a coinflip for me. They both have their uses for both spamming and coverage so it was tricky to decide. In the end I went with Zen Headbutt just for a way to deal decent damage to Gyarados/Milotic on the switch since they walled it otherwise. I also imagine the flinch chance was nice for speedy mega variants.

2nd in Canada (2 points off first) and 92nd in the world. Pleased overall but still kinda bumbed about that one disconnect that resulted in a loss since I would've made top 50 easily, looking at the rankings.

Now onto the rankings and usage stats:

- I know a lot of Westerners like to joke about Japan dominating these tournaments, but they really did! This leads me to believe that the Japanese competitive Pokemon community must be as innovative and active as our top players here. A lot of the Japanese players that I faced did come up with some pretty creative sets. They weren't necessarily anti-meta or anything, but enough to throw one off their standard gameplan. That said, I may be speaking from personal bias here as it could be that a lot more Japanese players entered the tournament than other countries - leading to their larger representation in the rankings.

- The top 12 most used Pokemon didn't really surprise me. I expected to see Blaziken in 1st since there was literally zero oppurtunity cost for running one since it didn't need a mega stone to perform well. Mence and Gross were the two most widely used megas, and the high usage of their standard sets were the reason why something such as special MegaMence caught so many players off guard.

- Breloom at 5th seemed a little low to me to be honest. This thing was an absolute monster in the competition, and I half expected it to be in the top 3. The ability to take out or cripple 1-2 mons if played well in a 3v3 setting should never be taken for granted.

- Oddly enough, the most popular nature for Gyarados was Impish, and it seemed as though most people were using it as a defensive backbone to check all the physical sweepers (hence Thunder Wave being a common move). Personally, I felt this was a waste of Gyarados' potential as the number of foes in the top 12 it could set a DD up on (Blaziken lacking Thunderpunch, Physical Mence, Gross lacking Thunderpunch, Azumarill, Breloom if running Lum/Safety Goggles, other Gyarados, Swampert) paved the way for an easy victory.

- Surprised to even see Magnezone in the top 12, since besides being a sturdy user, I felt it didn't have much of a niche (maybe a last-ditch panic button against a Mence sweep?). Most Magnezone ran either Specs/Scarf which either meant it was too slow to do much (Specs was just asking to be slept by Breloom) or acting as a slower (Mega) Manectric (surprised more people weren't using this instead) locked into one move.

- Mega Aggron was overlooked as being one of the most consistent checks/counters to most of the physical threats in the competition. Easily handling physical MegaMence, all variations of Metagross (Earthquake is like a 4-5HKO), Azumarill, MegaMawile, Breloom/Sableye if one opted to run the RestTalk set and even a couple special attackers with a SDef EV spread surprises me that it didn't see more usage.

Last edited:
By my count, trainers from at least 27 countries participated in this competition. I cannot describe in one sentence how cool is it to see players from all over the international community just competing with one another.

Oh, and congratulation DonDonKung. My hats off to you (or it would, if I had a hat...).

And yes, the Japanese players are no joke. They seem to know how to take advantage of every aspect of the game. I wish I could look at their teams, that way I might gain ideas of what they do differently from me. That is one feature I'd like added: to be able to look at different player's teams, at least once the competition is over.

Serebii said:
In The Games Department
Pokémon ORAS - Battle Competition

Following the reveal over the past two weeks, rankings for the Battle of Hoenn have been posted on the Global Link. With this, a note came stating that the distribution of Tyrunt is not to begin today but will rather begin on February 17th following the standard maintenance. This is currently listed for Japan, but will likely be the case in the west. The Tyrunt is Level 10 with its Hidden Ability of Sturdy with the moves Tail Whip, Tackle, Roar and Stomp. We'll bring more as it comes
Serebii

My team: Mega Sceptile, Froslass, Azumarill, Breloom, Skarmory, (Mega) Altaria.

Although I usually ended up using Froslass (suicide destiny bond lead), Azumarill (Belly Drum/AquaJet spammer), and Mega Sceptile (Fast SPATKer) every game, since this was the threesome I had the most luck with.

This was my first online competition. I'm not too proud of the ranking, but I feel I did alright for my first time. I ran into some strange teams that I was unprepared for, one being a level 1 Aron team consisting of a leech seeder, statuser, and an Aron. Unfortunately I was running a hyper-offense team so it was impossible to deal with Aron's sturdy leech seed shenanigans. It was the first time I had seen this strategy in use online, and it was pretty effective at walling my team and punishing with Endeavor.

Other than that, I have a newfound respect for my Mega Sceptile. With a timid nature, he was outspeeding Mega Salamence and one shotting them with Dragon Pulse every time I encountered one in a battle. I had no idea that Sceptile was a useful check for M. Salemence, since that is why I had Froslass on my team to begin with.

This was certainly a learning experience, and I had a lot of fun. I will probably be participating in the next tournament.

Last edited:
upload_2015-1-30_22-24-31.png

upload_2015-1-30_22-25-41.png

I'm not terribly happy but its better than nothing and I guess okay for my first competition. Kinda bummed I didn't get more matches in.

Next competition I'm passing on, unless something cool is given, but I've got nothing going for doubles let alone with Legendaries. Hopefully they announce another one soon so I can prepare better. I did learn a lot about what is required for planning for these things at least, I'll be better prepared next time.

I'm legitimately disappointed I missed 1st place in Finland tbh. (9 points missing) That was kind of a goal for me. Had the last day not gone as badly as it did, I definitely would've had it.
Even if I did get it, it wouldn't have been that much of an achievement, (There's like... 42 Finnish players in the Masters division?) but at least it'd be something.

Instead I'll cling on to having beat whoever topped at Chile (With 492 overall ranking) =P

So all in all? I'm not satisfied. I didn't reach my fairly meager goal, and as such, I'll be back.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So the results have been out for a few days now, and I don't think any Japanese players are going to come forward, so please join me in congratulating Erebyssial on being our top rated player! 10th in the World is nothing to scoff at, especially if you're also #1 in the west. I'm gonna go ahead and post the current top 10, if you haven't posted your result yet then please do!

1st. Erebyssial (1781)
2nd. DonDonKun (1739)
3rd. Blitz099 (1731)

4th. Psangli (1711)
5th. yoshirrrr (1708)
6th. Artic (1695)
7th. Sakuretsu (1685)
8th. Roadagain (1646)
9th. wintermute0 (1638)
10th. JES (1626)

Congrats to everyone who competed. Fun fact; this competition saw the most participants of any Battle Spot competition with a whopping 44,291! The next highest was the April Friendly at the start of XY with only 11,597, sure this was mostly due to new game hype, but hopefully we see more and more people competing in the future (we might even reach the 50,000 players limit one day)

Last edited:
Um well here's my ranking. I've been trying all friggin weekend to figure out how to paste the actual image from pgl here like the rest of you are. But I suck at the internet :(. Uh, best I could do (help?) here ya go, 1613 yay me, I made the top 10 here :D

CAN
Chris
Y-315-1972-P
1613 pts.
I just use the Snipping Tool to save a portion of the screen as an image, then upload it.

Congratulations to everyone who triumphed in this competition, and good luck in the next!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Um well here's my ranking. I've been trying all friggin weekend to figure out how to paste the actual image from pgl here like the rest of you are. But I suck at the internet :(. Uh, best I could do (help?) here ya go, 1613 yay me, I made the top 10 here :D

CAN
Chris
Y-315-1972-P
1613 pts.
Go to your profile on the PGL, chose the 'Online Competitions' tab on the side and then choose 'Competition Entry History' which will show you your record and total points, as well as the all important 'Battle Box' which if you click will bring it up on-screen. I just Print-Screen it, paste it in Paint, crop it and save the image, then upload it either on here or somewhere like imgur and use the
tags to insert it. I'll make a guide on how to do it when the next comp's results are up (as it will be mandatory for posting your results)

Noooo way, just checked my results and I'm the best in the UK with 1731!!! Amazing!! 112th over all isn't bad either considering I had a half arsed team cos I just wanted the Tyrunt. Get in!! Overall I went 24/6 for my first battle competition

upload_2015-2-2_12-52-38.png

upload_2015-2-2_12-54-57.png

upload_2015-2-2_13-43-5.png

Last edited:
upload_2015-2-2_16-58-53.png
t
There we go, sorry if its too big. Choice Scarf Salamence and Gyarados were my most-used and best pokemon. Putting thunderfang on salamence was a last minute, rash decision for surprising opposing gyarados and azumarill, and it actually paid off, as did a bit of flinch hax here and there. I didn't have enough BP for Outrage at the time :(. My blaziken sucked, wrong evs for that set. Magnezone did his job a few times and knocked out megamence with hp ice. I had fun, looking forward to the next singles competition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)