(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

You realize there's little that could be done about HG/SS' weird level curve, right? It was like this with the original G/S/C games, and they weren't going to deviate from the original game's progression. I will say I really dislike how rarely you got stuff like evolution stones from trainers you've registered in the PokeGear...
Just because it's a remake it does not mean they have to put everything back into it, they removed the glitches, so why not other garbage elements?

that... would explain some things, actually

i stand corrected. but i don't think the 30 vs 31 distinction matters that much (except for speed i guess).
speed is probably the only stat you would care about, but even when you can check it in the battle, its still rather time consuming.

speed is probably the only stat you would care about, but even when you can check it in the battle, its still rather time consuming.
That's why you don't bother checking anything that fails your speed (or HP) check or has stats that aren't as high as 27/28+.

I actually love Lumoise city hehe.
The item bag in XY as well as the inability to remove hats pissed me off to no end.
At first SuperTraining annoyed me, but now I'm grateful it exists.
That's really is for XY. I was actually surprisingly satisfied with the game overall.

For ORAS, I'm super made about the removal of customization. I'm also not crazy that you can completely avoid random encounters.
The tail thing popping out of the grass gets annoying.
I haven't completed OR yet, so that's all I can complain about as of yet.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
For ORAS, I'm super made about the removal of customization. I'm also not crazy that you can completely avoid random encounters.
The tail thing popping out of the grass gets annoying.
I haven't completed OR yet, so that's all I can complain about as of yet.
What do you mean ignore random encounters? If you're talking about sneaking then actually no, even when sneaking you can still get a random encounter (I know, they stopped me from sneaking upon a Pokemon multiple times...). The only way to completely ignore random encounters is still Repels.

What do you mean ignore random encounters? If you're talking about sneaking then actually no, even when sneaking you can still get a random encounter (I know, they stopped me from sneaking upon a Pokemon multiple times...). The only way to completely ignore random encounters is still Repels.
Really? I sneak around constantly and have never once came upon a random encounter. I guess the chances just must be on the rare side then.

Really? I sneak around constantly and have never once came upon a random encounter. I guess the chances just must be on the rare side then.
They may be lowered when you do sneak so that you can sneak more efficiently - though there have been a few times when my sneaking was interrupted by a random encounter.

Ugh, yeah, Synchronize not working 100% of the time is extremely annoying. I was so annoyed that after all the effort catching Kyogre (Aqua Ring makes things so tiresome), only to find out she didn't have a Modest nature, that I just chucked the Master Ball next time around.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My using of the DexNav is fucked every time by random encounters while sneaking. I'm not sure how any person could be lucky as to not have this happen all the time.

I totally feel you, Deino. I remember once on Route 101 a Pokemon showed up on the DexNav, and not just any Pokemon, but a Sewaddle, the only Pokemon I hadn't caught on that route. And then as soon as I hit the patch of grass that it's on... boom! Random encounter!

It's ok, I didn't really want that adorable bug anyway...

it shouldn't be that hard to adjust levels while keeping story/area progression the same.
Just because it's a remake it does not mean they have to put everything back into it, they removed the glitches, so why not other garbage elements?
It is hard to do that when the story grants a choice as to what path you want to do next. West to Olivine and Cianwood, or east to Mahogany Town and Lake of Rage? Fight Lt. Surge first upon departing from the SS Tidal, or fight one of the other gym leaders not named Blue? Sure, Game Freak could have taken that away and forced players to go on a predetermined path, but then it would get rather ridiculous. Still, perhaps they could have made the wild Pokemon appearing in Kanto be like level 45 or so instead of whatever they would have been when passing through the area in the Kanto games...

It is hard to do that when the story grants a choice as to what path you want to do next. West to Olivine and Cianwood, or east to Mahogany Town and Lake of Rage? Fight Lt. Surge first upon departing from the SS Tidal, or fight one of the other gym leaders not named Blue? Sure, Game Freak could have taken that away and forced players to go on a predetermined path, but then it would get rather ridiculous. Still, perhaps they could have made the wild Pokemon appearing in Kanto be like level 45 or so instead of whatever they would have been when passing through the area in the Kanto games...
Yeah, that's true but they could at least have done something to patch up the usual level gap when you reatch the e4

They may be lowered when you do sneak so that you can sneak more efficiently - though there have been a few times when my sneaking was interrupted by a random encounter.
Yeah, I guess I'm just lucky I suppose. I do it so often and have never encountered anything, so I just assumed it was a way to avoid random encounters all together.
Silly me~

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
If I recall when you get to Kanto in the Johto games it opens up in chunks, not everything is available right off the bat. So I still think they could have kept increasing the wild Pokemon's levels as you progressed and opened up each new chunk. That's what they did in BW2, if I recall Route 1 in that game had the highest level wild Pokemon when in BW it had the lowest. The same for other routes which were available in BW but was cut off until post game in BW2.

If I recall when you get to Kanto in the Johto games it opens up in chunks, not everything is available right off the bat. So I still think they could have kept increasing the wild Pokemon's levels as you progressed and opened up each new chunk. That's what they did in BW2, if I recall Route 1 in that game had the highest level wild Pokemon when in BW it had the lowest. The same for other routes which were available in BW but was cut off until post game in BW2.
You could still essentially go anywhere you wanted right off the bat aside from Cinnabar, Pallet and Pewter -- and even then as soon as you'd done the missing part sidequest you could go there as you pleased.
This is what I really love about the Johto games. The incredible free-roaming in the aftergame.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
You could still essentially go anywhere you wanted right off the bat aside from Cinnabar, Pallet and Pewter -- and even then as soon as you'd done the missing part sidequest you could go there as you pleased.
This is what I really love about the Johto games. The incredible free-roaming in the aftergame.
Oh, well I guess my idea could still work. Also there's places off-route that maybe they could have put higher leveled Pokemon, places you're not required to go to. It maybe a bit more chaotic way of level progression but as soon as your Pokemon are up to level it would cease to be a problem.

I wonder if GameFreak will ever try a freeroaming region. They let us now battle the Elite Four in whatever order we like (except in ORAS but that was for nostalgia sake... and I do think they should have let us battle them in any order). They can make the main routes connecting the cities/towns to one another at first but as you get badges (and thus HMs) you'll be able to access new areas which is how they can handle the story. But this is getting off topic, so I'll counteract it here's a new annoyance:

Trading Shards for evolution stones. As you may recall, you can trade the Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green Shards for a Fire, Water, Thunder, or Leaf Stone. But that's all, there's no way to trade for a Moon, Sun, Shiny, Dusk, or Dawn Stone. Being this was around the time you should start having a full party, having him able to give out those stones would have helped those with Pokemon that evolve that way be able to evolve. If they didn't want to introduce new items to trade them for they could have made you trade them for other existing item (and hint you can use these items for that purpose early on so you don't accidentally sell them). Like Pearl = Moon, Nugget = Sun, Star Piece = Shiny, Rare Bone = Dusk, Pretty Wing = Dawn. Or how about letting us choose which stone we want, why make them color dependent (well, besides justifying there being four colored shards)?

Oh my gosh, the stones. Why does Game Freak have to make the stones so hard to get? As Pikachu315111 stated, the Fire, Water, Thunder, and Leaf Stones are pretty simple, but beyond that, you're stuck. The only real option is Super Training, which is incredibly tedious and only has a very small chance of giving a stone. I must admit, there are few things more infuriating than completing the Gallade Super Training mission (that can give you a Dawn Stone), and getting... a Soda Pop.

It's not just Super Training or Pokemon, either; I have never understood why video game developers think it's a good idea to give prizes on a random chance when difficult missions are complete.

Gen IV: I've been spoiled by Pokécheck/Bank. It's infuriating how incredibly long it takes to back up monsters when you want to start a new save file. I always leave clones of my RNG'd mons on the cart they were originally RNG'd on in case old tutors become relevant/unavailable (Sucker Punch for Hitmontop, for example). I decided I wanted to replay HG and it took ~2hrs to trade my stuff over to Pearl. And forget Pokémon Ranch because that only backs up mind from one OT. Thank god for Bank.

Gen. VI: why the hell was the "in bag" tab removed from PokéMarts in ORAS? Furthermore, why isn't it present for BP items in the Maison in X/Y? The opposite is true for each game as well, with ORAS displaying the in bag message in the Maison, and Y displaying it in Marts. Wtf.

ehh, i don't see what would have been too ridiculous about a little railroading in johto. it's better than being overleved for two of the olivine, cianwood, and mahogany gyms. and some of the kanto gym leaders are weaker than the elite four, there's no excuse for that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So... they just released the newest Pikachu Short, "What's This Key?", on their main site. Hey, you know what else came along with that short in Japan? An event where players got to vote for either Victini, Manaphy, Jirachi, or Darkrai and the winner was given out! The winner in Japan was Darkrai... not like it matters because I have a feeling we're neither going to get a chance to vote or at least get the Darkrai they got. Heck, being Jirachi was also heavily focused in the short they could have also given us the Shiny Jirachi they gave away during this year's Tanabata! But NOPE, we should just consider ourselves lucky we got the Pikachu Short (how dare I ask we get an equal experience the Japanese players get).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 23)