Project The Next Best Thing (New thread is newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hy win

the next Pokemon up for nomination is:

Medicham

Gonna go ahead and say that Choice Scarf sets and Life Orb w/ Fake Out, Dual STAB, and 1 coverage move sets are off limits for this as they are the standard.

Good Luck, 72 hours (likely more tho cause busy af this week).

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Medicham @ Life Orb
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Foresight
- High Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch / Drain Punch

Tomb, doublade and cofag are normally completely free switches into medicham. Click foresight on the switch to these cunts and you're free to hi jump kick as much as you like :]. Only defensive mon you really have to worry about is cress with this set but the only way you're gonna get past that is with toxic anyway.

a nice boring sprite :[

Medicham @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Zen Headbutt / Fire Punch / Bulk Up
- High Jump Kick

Medicham has access to Substitute (well most pokemon do Kableye from the past...) as well as Baton Pass. Since it forces a lot of switches with its sheer power, I think a Substitute+Baton Pass set could be very effective as a Cresselia lure. Basically Medicham sets up a Substitute on a switch into Cresselia, and then proceeds to Baton Pass to another Pokemon that can handle this. Sure this can be done with out the Substitute, but I think this set could pair really well with something like Bulky SD Drapion, who Cresselia needs a max roll in order to break its Substitute. Once Drapion is in, it forces the opponent to switch out or lose Cresselia, and allows Drapion to set up a free Swords Dance. This set also could pair well with SD Escavalier for the same reason, although I havent tried it so I wouldn't know how good it is in this meta. As other move options, I just threw on dual STAB, but if Doublade or Spiritomb scares you Fire Punch is always an option. Interestingly Medicham gets Bulk Up, which could also be a decent option.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Medicham @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch

Are you tired of Cresselia switching into Medicham and setting up a sub with no reprecussions? Well look no further! Toxic Medicham says, "No." but not to Panda. Its pretty much standard LO Medicham except it drops Priority to screw with one of the best Pokemon in the tier, you still get rekt by Reuniclus though :/.

reserving specs

specs (Medicham) @ Salac Berry
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Reversal
- Zen Headbutt / Foresight / Bullet Punch
- Bulk Up

An interesting enough set. Basically, you set up a sub, since Medicham forces out a lot, then proceed to Bulk Up or Substitute again(or Foresight if you have it if the opponent sends out a Doublade or something), until you get to that 1%, a.k.a. 200 power Reversal and +1 speed with salac berry. Not going to define the meta any time soon, but still a set I like.

Tips: Get rid of Spiritomb before setting up, even if you have Foresight, as Spiritomb has Infiltrator, in which it will burn you even if you are behind a sub or not. Also Stealth Rock are needed, as they get rid of sashes and breaks Sturdy, letting you sweep much better.

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Medicham @ Maranga Berry
Adamant Nature
- Natural Gift
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick

I am a big fan of lures. So, we all know and hate the fact that medicham doesnt get knock off so it makes plenty of psychic mons like cresselia, reuniclus and slowking pretty annoying to face. Well, with natural gift and a maranga berry you have at your disposal a whopping 100 base power dark attack, luring your checks and counters dramatically well. Combine the fact that psychic/fighting/dark is perfect neutral coverage and we have something pretty promising on hands. Calcs for good measure:

252+ Atk Maranga Berry Pure Power Mega Medicham Natural Gift (100 BP Dark) vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 138-164 (44.2 - 52.5%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Maranga Berry Pure Power Mega Medicham Natural Gift (100 BP Dark) vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Cresselia: 204-240 (45.9 - 54%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Maranga Berry Pure Power Mega Medicham Natural Gift (100 BP Dark) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 252-298 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Maranga Berry Pure Power Mega Medicham Natural Gift (100 BP Dark) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 350-414 (89 - 105.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

It can even take a good chunk for another check in spiritomb:

252+ Atk Maranga Berry Pure Power Mega Medicham Natural Gift (100 BP Dark) vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Spiritomb: 137-162 (46.5 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

And thats pretty much it.

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Medicham @ Life Orb / leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Baton pass / Substitute
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt / toxic
- Recover

Why not wall break and/or stall break with recovery? Run a trapper to beat ghosts and psychics and you are set. This sets could catch mola off guard and weaken walls with toxic. you might not even need zen headbutt to do damage anyway since you decimate almost everything with High jump kick. LO with baton pass means you can run zen headbutt over toxic just to do damage and get out. or baton pass on predicted switches. these are some pretty cool moves that help in different situations, even though it's still walled by doublade either way with any of it's moves besides fire punch.

just run a pursuit trapper like banded or black glasses tomb and you are good. you can even go and trick a cress and now it has band and is basically useless. Also hazards are pretty much necessary to weaken the opposing team even more.

Seems pretty legit to me.

Medicham @ Maranga Berry
Adamant Nature
- Natural Gift
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick

I am a big fan of lures. So, we all know and hate the fact that medicham doesnt get knock off so it makes plenty of psychic mons like cresselia, reuniclus and slowking pretty annoying to face. Well, with natural gift and a maranga berry you have at your disposal a whopping 100 base power dark attack, luring your checks and counters dramatically well. Combine the fact that psychic/fighting/dark is perfect neutral coverage and we have something pretty promising on hands. Calcs for good measure:

252+ Atk Maranga Berry Pure Power Mega Medicham Natural Gift (100 BP Dark) vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 138-164 (44.2 - 52.5%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Maranga Berry Pure Power Mega Medicham Natural Gift (100 BP Dark) vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Cresselia: 204-240 (45.9 - 54%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Maranga Berry Pure Power Mega Medicham Natural Gift (100 BP Dark) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 252-298 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Maranga Berry Pure Power Mega Medicham Natural Gift (100 BP Dark) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 350-414 (89 - 105.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

It can even take a good chunk for another check in spiritomb:

252+ Atk Maranga Berry Pure Power Mega Medicham Natural Gift (100 BP Dark) vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Spiritomb: 137-162 (46.5 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

And thats pretty much it.
I really like the idea behind this set, but the problem is that it's a one-use item that doesn't do its job in four of the five cases you presented unless they've taken a hefty amount of damage already, seeing that you can only use it once... unless my idea of a lure is wrong? I guess this is more of a mid- to late-game lure than an early one?

Well, with natural gift and a maranga berry you have at your disposal a whopping 100 base power dark attack
Using Cham as a NG lure is a great idea, but now that Custap Berry is legal, using Maranga instead seems kinda odd. Ghost has the same or better effectivity against every type except Normal, which you have HJK against.
also where's the bullet punch on subsalac

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I really like the idea behind this set, but the problem is that it's a one-use item that doesn't do its job in four of the five cases you presented unless they've taken a hefty amount of damage already, seeing that you can only use it once... unless my idea of a lure is wrong? I guess this is more of a mid- to late-game lure than an early one?
Certainly more of a mid to late game lure as you stated. The calcs are there to show a good percentage where the targets can be nailed with the natural gift so you can finish them off with a combination of this + a STAB move. Lets considered cresselia for example: It does a healthy 45% minimum so cresselia should be somewhat weakened first since it is the bulkiest target. Doublade is far more easily since it lacks recovery. Yeah, I wouldnt recommend showing off this lure so early in the match yet. Though, I think the natural gift can be used more than once?? If that isnt the case, then I missed something important in the process... can still be pretty effective.

Using Cham as a NG lure is a great idea, but now that Custap Berry is legal, using Maranga instead seems kinda odd. Ghost has the same or better effectivity against every type except Normal, which you have HJK against.
also where's the bullet punch on subsalac
Oh wow, I sincerely forgot about the custap berry was available... oh well, now I know it is a NG Ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)