Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I recall correctly, in Showdown, while sleep clause is in effect, attempting to put a pokemon to sleep while another one is already sleeping (outside of self inflicted sleep) will cause you to always fail.

No, because it is not an intentional violation. It is only if you use a move which has a 100% sleep chance.
This would limit the only move as "Spore", which is not true. Hypnosis / Dark Void / Lovely Kiss / whatever would break the sleep clause too. Relic Song WOULD break the sleep clause.

This would limit the only move as "Spore", which is not true. Hypnosis / Dark Void / Lovely Kiss / whatever would break the sleep clause too.
That is not what Kurona meant. The statement made indicated that the move, when hit, would cause sleep 100% of the time. When using Relic Song, the user has a 10% chance of putting the opponent to sleep. This is what Kurona meant when she said "it is if you use a move which had a 100% sleep chance" i.e. when you use a move whose sole purpose is to put the opponent to sleep. With Relic Song, putting the opponent to sleep is merely a byproduct of using the move. Hence, if she is correct, Sleep Clause is not broken.

I recall in Gen 5 Ferrothorn had a Choice Band set listed.

What exactly made that set analysis worthy in Gen 5 compared to Gen 6 where it's obviously not relevant.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
To emphasize with that item is banned if needed: Imagine latis with an item that basically acts like specs and assault vest together without their respectives restrictions... yeah, no... hell no.

What typically determines which defense type to drop for a mixed nature, or is it case-by-case?

Like, I see Latios' mixed nature is Hasty, while stuff like Kyub and Metagross run Naive. Is it more about the lower defense, or what their typing lets them resist.

p2

Banned deucer.
What typically determines which defense type to drop for a mixed nature, or is it case-by-case?

Like, I see Latios' mixed nature is Hasty, while stuff like Kyub and Metagross run Naive. Is it more about the lower defense, or what their typing lets them resist.
I always go with Naive to reduce damage from relevant priority (who uses Vacuum Wave?), unless it's nature locked, an example being Extreme Speed Genesect which can only have a Hasty nature

I see a lot of mixed 'mon weak to Dark run Naive > Hasty due to Bisharp's Sucker Punch. Latios has so little physical bulk that Bisharp Sucker Punch OHKOs it whether hasty or naive; so in that case you might as well choose. It's all up to which priorities you fear the most but a lot of the time it'll make little difference.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Latios runs hasty usually because it is generally the zard-y and keldeo switch in on offense. Its a case by case thing.

Genuine question, I am not arguing or saying this pokemon should be OU or anything like that.. I'm just requesting a detailed reasoning behind the pokemon that deems it broken, overcentralizing, or too much for OU as I can't seem to find one anywhere nor does it appear so on paper to me.

What is the reasoning for Giratina-O being Ubers? Too me it just looks like a mega evolution holding it's mega stone with bad coverage, unreliable recovery (rest) and although amazing bulk like cresselia, taken down easily by power creep and bad typing while having subpar offenses without setup moves and unable to hold an item. Of course this is how I see it, but I just want to understand the true reasoning that I'm missing besides BST.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
This is from an article about Giratina-O in Ubers:
One of the most striking features about Giratina-O is its unique typing. Ghost/Dragon with Levitate provides it with six resistances and three immunities, including important resistances to Water, Electric, Fire, Bug, and Grass, and immunities to Normal, Fighting, and Ground. In addition, its typing grants it fantastic STABs, hitting most of the Pokemon in the Dragon and Psychic-infested Uber metagame for super effective damage.

Base stat wise, Giratina-O possesses an interesting balance between offense and defense. With 150/100/100 HP and defenses, Giratina-O is well-suited to take on resisted but powerful hits (with the exception of Water Spout from Kyogre). Short of a Draco Meteor from Dragons, Giratina-O is incredibly difficult to OHKO. On the offensive side of things, Giratina-O can utilize its great base 120 Attack and Special Attack very well due to its amazing STABs and access to powerful attacks such as Draco Meteor and Outrage. While 90 base Speed is somewhat slow by Uber metagame standards, a fair amount of Pokemon that share the same base Speed often prefer to invest in bulk, such as Groudon and bulky Kyogre. Since Giratina-O is an offensively-minded Pokemon, it will often have Speed EVs invested, allowing it to outrun a small but crucial portion of the Uber metagame. With access to Shadow Sneak, Giratina-O can somewhat bypass its average base Speed and revenge kill weakened foes.

Speaking of moves, Giratina-O packs a wide variety of offensive options. On the physical side of things, it learns the key moves Outrage, Dragon Claw, Shadow Sneak, and Earthquake, with each having unique roles. Its special movepool is slightly larger, as it learns Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Shadow Ball, Aura Sphere, and Thunder, and these can be amplified by Calm Mind. Although Giratina-O wishes that it could learn Flamethrower or Fire Blast like its fellow Dragons, Hidden Power Fire will suffice for taking care of Scizor and Forretress.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Genuine question, I am not arguing or saying this pokemon should be OU or anything like that.. I'm just requesting a detailed reasoning behind the pokemon that deems it broken, overcentralizing, or too much for OU as I can't seem to find one anywhere nor does it appear so on paper to me.

What is the reasoning for Giratina-O being Ubers? Too me it just looks like a mega evolution holding it's mega stone with bad coverage, unreliable recovery (rest) and although amazing bulk like cresselia, taken down easily by power creep and bad typing while having subpar offenses without setup moves and unable to hold an item. Of course this is how I see it, but I just want to understand the true reasoning that I'm missing besides BST.
It's a bulky fucker that hits pretty hard for a tank. You could even run a -Def/SpD nature for a mixed set and I doubt it would matter when trying to kill it.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader

adding to what the nerd above said, it's typing+stats+ability+moves are very good, enough to handle threats in ubers, so i guess you can figure how lordly it'd be in ou. kaxrida learn to ou :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)