Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for clarification, Rotom-F will lose Air Slash and gain Flash Cannon. AKA, you can't use Air Slash on it at all. We felt it would be better considering each Rotom form gets its own special move. Plus, I didn't want to use HP Steel, ffs.
Happy theorymoning~!

EDIT: Also Sun King, I better get a shoutout for your 500

Last edited:
I don't really know about the other mons(stop trying to make galvantula viable), but Rotom-Fan seems interesting. Its new typing is much more useful, and STAB Steel is always nice to hit stuff like Clefable and such. I don't know if this would make it OU, but still a cool change.

Kyurem + Sheer Force: Solid idea. I suggested Refrigerate on it before and Sheer Force achieves a similar effect (ie muh stronger Ice STAB). Sheer Force + Ice STAB + Ground coverage + SubRoost def seems OU worthy. It's also got a good movepool for Sheer Force.

Jellicent + Reflect Type: Interesting niche. Good overall bulk, reliable recovery, and spin blocking are also very solid traits. Seems like a solid addition, but nothing too attractive unlike...

Rotom-Fan + Electric/Steel: Seems like it could be a run-away winner. Great typing, and it still has Levitate to take away the Ground weakness. The only reason I wouldn't vote for this is that it leads to the end of the "Rotom-F floats with its Air Balloon" jokes. Oh wait, that's another reason to vote for it.

Electric Spider that I can't spell + Quiver Dance: Solid buff. Creates some 4mss if you want to boost and use Webs, which you kinda have to, otherwise Volc seems better (unless you need Electric STAB over Fire STAB for some weird reason). It can beat most common hazard removers outside of Excadrill at +1 with just its STAB moves iirc, so it has that going for it.

Pretty early on obviously, but Rotom-Fan seems like a great pick.

Alright, in order

Sheer Force Kyurem: So this would almost certainly put Kyurem-B down a peg, considering Sheer Force combined with its primarily Special movepool would hit like a truck and the only effective loss would be a drop in Physical power (at most used for maybe a Dragon STAB), Fusion Bolt (might be noteworthy for bulky waters admittedly), and 10 points of defense. Still, the obscene power behind its special movepool (Ice Beam/Blizzard, Earth Power, Flash Cannon, Focus Blast, Psychic, Shadow Ball) and a couple high BP/well typed Physical moves (Outrage, Iron Head) would make this thing a veritable battering ram the likes of Landorus-I. It's main problem as I can pin-point is Dragon Breath being its only Dragon STAB and a need to go mixed to break Fairies and Bulky waters, but neutral targets and common stall options get hit like a truck.

Jellicent + Reflect Type: I might need a bit of elaboration on this one. It's certainly much bulkier than Starmie, who can pull of a similar set to about this effect. However, aside from Toxic Stall or Scald burning I'm not seeing what he'd do with this. Starmie uses it to spin on targets resisting their STABs and mitigate Pursuit trapping. I don't quite see what new jobs this would let Jellicent do, and while it might make him better at some of his walling jobs, I don't know to what degree that would change his niche.

Electric/Steel Flash Cannon Rotom-S: So this thing is pretty much a giant middle finger to every Fairy and Ground type in the tier. This would essentially counter Mega Diancie, non-FB Mega Altaria, Landorus-T, non-HP Fire Latios, Mega Aerodactyl, Diggersby, Mamoswine, Sand Rush Excadrill. Problem is, Rotom-S has significantly less power behind his moves than Rotom-W. But the biggest obstacle it faces for me: he comes with the opportunity cost of not using Rotom-W, who is one of the most splashable glues and Bird Spam checks in the tier, which Rotom-S can't do
252 Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-S: 198-234 (65.3 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-S: 204-242 (67.3 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's an improvement, but his Water counterpart just brings so much more to a team that I'm not sure what he'd contribute specifically to these teams.

Quiver Dance Galvantula: Pretty neat improvement, main competition in Volcarona. Less SR weak and faster naturally in exchange for lesser bulk. Lack of Fire STAB is disappointing, and a bit of coverage trouble, but seems interesting. I'll need to see more of this.

Sheer Force Kyurem seems really good to me, though I'm probably just biased because I love Kyurem and wish they had made a Pokémon Gray. Pressure stalling is still OK, but Sheer Force lets your Ice Beams and coverage hit hella hard, absolutely decimating some cores on balance. Obviously Kyu is still weak to Bullet Punch and the like, but I feel this is a great upgrade, and Kyu's great bulk can let it take a priority move or two and Roost off damage. Plus Kyu-N now seriously can live up to Kyu-B.

So a mandatory campaign speech:
The watery ghost may claim that his chamel new type changing will win you a mtch, but did it relly change that he's still weak and a bit too fril?

Floating fans advertise their new metal powers, but aren't they stil mediocrestat-wise?

Spiders may say that they're suddenly setup sweepers, but aren't tey still outclassed by fiedy competitors?

So choose Kyurem, an ice dragon to be trusted.

Guess weekly post here. So much for hoping for second round slate (don't care if it creates little talk, just vote as its brought up).

Electric Fan I sorta don't like at moment, as I miss the power of double immunity EQ (:D) and he basically tries to be that of bird spam check with only notably stopping....somebody. Hard to cover those birds when they carry secondary moves to bop ya with and all outspeed ya with cause the investment. I can see it being a nice investment, and instead of being birdsam check like its counter part, it decides to become the most hated thing to edgequake since bronzing (except with actual presence outside of Toxic). it definitely has its place, but just to all who are trying to compare it to Rotom-W really shouldn't as its not like Heat where it shares roles but SR weak, this one just decides to do anything else its brother really cant (a long as it avoids the Mold Breaker EQ). The Fire weakness sucks tho.

Kyurem, SF, LO, K-W 2.0. As reference:

200+ SpA Sheer Force Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 204-240 (59.8 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 199-235 (58.3 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That just seems silly. Course Phone calcs could be off (I hate trying to copy and paste that thing) but power its got, just gonna have to wait for the weaknesses and speed to impair it.

Galv seems to be interesting to say the least. QD Compound Eyes Thunder should be enjoyable to watch and might just take it for me.

Jellicent +Reflect Type is te odd man out here. Unlike Starmie it doesn't have the speed to try and counteract em that first time, yet it has the bulk to take advantage of it. Would it be able to excel with a slower reflect? Will it be able to read? All this might be answered and more!

Anyway, all thoughts and I'm out.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Sheer Force Kyurem because:
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 177-211 (50.2 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Kyurem Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 315-372 (89.4 - 105.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Kyurem Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 250-294 (38.9 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross: 148-175 (49.1 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock before mega evolving
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Kyurem Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross: 398-468 (132.2 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 181-214 (44.9 - 53.1%) -- 86.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Kyurem Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 242-286 (60 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 243-289 (61.6 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
It completely obliterates common special walls/tanks in OU and other mons that may think it's a safe switch in.

I don't see Jellicent Reflect Type being that useful, and Quiver Dance Galvantula I feel is outclassed by Volcarona. Rotom-Fan Electric/Steel typing is appealing, for sure, but I just find Sheer Force Kyurem a bit more appealing because of it's overwhelming power (perhaps a bit too overwhelming?). I would have chosen Rotom-Fan Electric/Steel if Sheer Force Kyurem wasn't an option.

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Doesn't Rotom already get Levitate? It basically only has weaknesses to Fighting and Fire. I'll probs do a longer post a bit later xD
Holy shit kyurem 2hkos chansey with focus blast

Fun list of stuff an Electric/Steel Rotom could check:
LO Mamoswine
DD-Roost Mega Altaria
Rock Polish Diancie (and even then, an SDef set checks HP Fire Diancie)
Latios that use EQ instead of HP Fire
Sand Rush Excadrill
Diggersby that run QA over coverage
Mega Beedrill
SD-Lum Garchomp (the rock setter kind, aka the most common kind)

Not a terribly long list, but some things on there are pretty hard to handle for balanced and BO teams. I'd personally like a Fairy check that also handles bulky Ground types well.

Sheer Force Kyurem-- A big offensive threat. This thing hits like a truck and doesn't get worn down by Life Orb like Kyurem-B. Sheer Force primarily affects its special attacks, but it could go mixed to help get around special walls. Obviously, it is asking to get compared to Kyurem-B though, who gets BoltBeam coverage through Fusion Bolt and gets a massive 170 Base Attack to help use it. Sheer Force Kyurem's far better power would certainly make it the better choice for most teams. I don't know if OU really needs another wallbreaker though, given that there's already so many. I'm actually worried that it might be too good at wallbreaking. Side note: this thing could sweep through a lot of the metagame with an Agility or a Rock Polish pass; the only thing it's lacking is speed really.

Jellicent + Reflect Type-- What does this really help with? Sure Jellicent can reflect type to better wall things, but what will it do back? It can Toxic stall, but it's open to being phazed out, set up on, or toxic stalled itself. Maybe somebody can convince me otherwise, but I'm not sold on this one.

Rotom-Fan + Electric/Steel-- Great stop to Fairies and Ground-types (excepting Mold Breaker Excadrill). It also works well as a pivot with Volt Switch. This is probably on the same level as Rotom-W (they are the same Pokemon after all). The two would likely be interchangeable depending on the other Pokemon on the team. A lack of reliable recovery hurts a lot, so it would appreciate Wish support. Fighting and Fire weaknesses really hurt, but it brings a lot more resistances to the table than Rotom-W. Definitely an interesting mon.

Quiver Dance Galvantula-- I feel like Galvantula doesn't have the bulk for this. As it is, it needs to run Focus Sash to be able to set up, which leaves it wide open to priority. Even if it sets up a Quiver Dance or two, it is just asking to be revenge killed. Galvantula just seems like it could take out one pokemon on the other team at best. It's walled by a lot of things, and doesn't hit that hard after +1. The only things it has over Volcarona is Sticky Web (but it would rather just set up a Quiver Dance in that turn) and a lesser SR weakness (so both really like Defog/Spin support).

tl;dr: Kyurem wrecks all walls, Jellicent can't really do anything after Reflect Type-ing, Rotom-Fan is a nice pivot that can be used over Rotom-W to check Grounds and Fairies, and Quiver Dance Galvantula is too frail to sweep. Right now my order of preference is Rotom-Fan>Kyurem>Jellicent>Galvantula.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok so long post here...

Sheer Force + Kyurem seems pretty powerful, I mean Lando-i is THAT good only with 125 special attack, whilst Kyurem has higher offenses, can run mixed, a better movepool with coverage like Earth Power, Flash Cannon/Iron Head and Focus Blast, as well as formidable 125/90/90 bulk. Too bad sheer force doesn't affect Draco and outrage... I can see Kyurem being extremely versatile, sets like subroost, roost+3 attacks, 3 special attacks+1 physical etc. could be quite viable, but it's typing does hold it back, but nonetheless it's a great wallbreaker.

Reflect Type + Jellicent just doesn't sound very viable, sorry. Starmie is a good reflect-type user because it's fast and can change typing before it gets hit, whilst Jelly will have to take a hit before being able to use Reflect Type, so it really doesn't save it from being Pursuit and Knock Off bait.

Rotom-Fan + Electric/Steel + Flash Cannon I love this one tbh, sounds like a nice counter to Mega Diancie, Latios, Excadrill, boltbeam coverage and edgequake coverage in general. I could a mixed set working which could counter Lati@s, Excadrill AND Mega Diancie, as well as having decent offensive prescence. Yeah opportunity cost is an issue I guess.

Quiver Dance Galvantula Eh I hate galvantula 'cos fuck spiders and I really don't see the glamour of a spider quivering and shuddering to become stronger (ew thats gross). But anyway, it's bulk leaves a lot to be desired, and it also relies on Hidden powers to actually do things. Haven't got time to do calcs, but isn't it still quite weak even at +1?

Shoutouts to Mysteria , Valmanway , Vertex , unfixable , Recreant , Sacrificial Lambtias , Salemance , and AM (Don't know you as well yet AM, but you play stall and are mad chill) this post is 500 bitchesssssssss….Y'all kick ass.

Anyways, I don't want this thread to get derailed by my (pseudo) benchmark. Here's what I have to say to you guys saying "Opportunity Cost" about Rotom-S.

Nope.

While, yes, you have to choose one Rotom form over the others, what Rotom-S can take on is COMPLETELY different from what Rotom-W takes on. You have 5 other team slots to cover things you miss out on with Rotom-W. Rotom-S would turn into an EXCELLENT Fairy counter (check in some cases). This would benefit so many teams as spreading burns, threatening Fairy-types, and pivoting out is not something that ANYTHING else in the metagame can do. Additionally, Rotom-S would be able to tank a number of types extremely efficiently with immunities to Poison and Ground, and 4x resistances to Steel and Flying. Actually, this thing would function as an excellent teammate to Fairy-types, now that I think of it. It could switch in on attacks aimed at Fairy-types and then pivot out or spam WoW. All in all, this is a good submission.

EDIT: Salemance, we miss you.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Sheer Force Kyurem: Oh great, Kyurem + Lando cores that's definitely what I need -.- In all seriousness though this would be a pretty outrageous wall-breaker. Granted the accuracy blows but take into consideration that Blizzard is effected by Sheer Force so STAB + Life Orb + Sheer Force off of a base power perspective is going to be a 278 base power attack not including that you run this with Hail you get perfect accuracy for Blizzard :s. This doesn't even account typing and EV distribution coming off of a base 130 stat for both attacks ._________. lol what's a switch in? What's a defensive core? What's a balanced core? What is a metagame?

Reflect Type Jellicent: Idk what to say honestly. I guess it's alright but it's slow as hell so basically you're gonna spend your time using this on Ferrothorn perhaps and slower defensive cores but that's about it. I don't see the huge novelty in this other than being a jellyfish that switches its type .-.

Electric / Steel Rotom: It'd be a shame if I ran EQ on M-Gyarados because Crunch is the go to option....oh wait, I do this already, rip. Uh this is fine I guess people already went over this so not too much else to say.

Quiver Dance Galvantula: Galvantula quite frankly will be forever a terrible Pokemon. Why? It has nothing to do with how it plays competitively but because it's a yellow spider, and yellow spiders are bad. Quiver Dance turns whatever iota of respect GF provided Galvantula into something less pitiful by boosting and being just a slightly polished piece of turd than the original turd it was so I commend Enigami for trying to bring back Galvantula from the vast pits of doodoo mons and obscurity.
and like always, Sun King is shit
Well that's not very nice :[

Kyurem + Sheer Force: I'm slightly worried that this could be broken. Landorus-Incarnate is already a top OU threat, and Kyurem lacks an Achille's Heel like Landorus. It also has higher attack power, extremely powerful dual STABs (Blizzard/Ice Beam + Draco Meteor), better bulk, Roost, and even more coverage. The question to me is whether its 95 speed and lack of boosting moves keeps it in check.

Jellicent + Reflect Type: I'm not feeling this. I don't think its got enough bulk or speed to pull this off. Even then, if the opposing mon carries something SE against itself, Jellicent is screwed.

Rotom-Fan + Steel Typing + Flash Cannon: It looks great, but I'm not even going to consider voting for something with two buffs. Sorry.

Galvantula + Quiver Dance: Volcarona is definitely the better QD sweeper with Fiery Dance, better bulk and better SpA, so Galvantula would likely only be used for its sticky webs. My thought behind QD is to enable it to be able to gain an offensive presence after its done its job so it could be more useful. I'm somewhat surprised this got slated though, I had a pack of submissions and thought this was my weakest one.

hey sun king where can we post our suggestions just wanted to know cuz im new

and abt our present slate,
kyurem is certainly the best and then rotom s,
qd galvantuala is outclassed and jellicent is just meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)