Gen 6 ORAS Ubers Viability Ranking Thread

Which is your favourite new Mega Evolution to use in Ubers?

• Mega Salamence

Votes: 415 61.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 56 8.3%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 45 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 100 14.9%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 56 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After having so many S-ranked mons, this comes to mind:

but seriously, can we have some reshuffling so that we don't have so many mons that are S-ranked? There has been a definite power creep in previous generations and the rankings could be modified a bit to reflect that.
I fail to see how a large amount of S-Rankers is a problem in any way. If they are all metagame-defining forces, then they all deserve their S-Ranks. Honestly, 6 Pokémon isn't even that much, considering there've been S-Ranks with 8 Pokémon in other tiers in the past.

After having so many S-ranked mons, this comes to mind:

but seriously, can we have some reshuffling so that we don't have so many mons that are S-ranked? There has been a definite power creep in previous generations and the rankings could be modified a bit to reflect that.
There is actually no problem with this. It just shows how centralized this metagame is around the big mons in question. Previous uber tiers have had more diversity, and part of that is because there weren't such an obvious top group of mons.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm definitely for the idea that S rank should include S- as well, since we already made S+ a thing. This would also allow Ho-oh to finally be above A+ like it deserves.

Primal Groudon should obviously remain S+

Ekiller, Xerneas and Mega Mence should be S. They are pretty self-explanatory, incredibly self-sufficient mons that are never deadweight and check a large portion of the meta.

The new S-rank should include Ho-oh and Mega Gengar. S rank includes mons which pretty much 6-0 teams that are not well prepared, although Ho-oh is ridiculously difficult to safely switch in to, it's not as big of a threat as the others above it. Its lack of boosting moves and weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from being in the same league as others, "capable of 6-0ing unprepared teams." Unlike the others, if your team is unprepared, you can at least check or revenge kill Ho-oh.
I don't think Gengar should drop to A+, but rather drop to S-. The increased opportunity cost isn't nice to it, but it's still a massive threat and I don't see it in the same league as those in A+.

The Mewtwos should be demoted to A. MMY just isn't as good anymore in a largely physically oriented meta, as well as having more opportunity cost. Mewtwo kinda suffers from the same case, but just doesn't have the opportunity cost of a mega. Its best set (Stalltwo) isn't as good anymore as stall is very uncommon, and arguably worse in this meta. Mega Sableye also exists. MMX however should be promoted to A- at least. It's a very common opinion that this thing is better than MMY in this meta, so seeing MMY above it is kinda iffy. MMX doesn't suffer as much from a physically oriented meta, and being able to both outspeed and OHKO the extremely common Ekiller and Ho-oh (Rock Slide) is kinda big.

I think Darkrai is worthy of S- rank. An incredibly difficult mon to check reliably. Sleep Talk users such as Ho-oh and P-Ogre aren't the most reliable as they rely on rolls. Also, it can run Thunder to get past these two. However, its bad bulk prevents it from being in the same league as those in S, as it's quite easy to revenge kill with a Scarfer or priority (mostly Ekiller). But it's amazing Speed tier and good movepool allow it to put massive holes in teams, as well as not needing any support. It's definitely more difficult to check than those in A+.
I agree with an S- rank for Gengar-Mega and Ho-Oh. They would perfectly fit in that category, for the reasons mentioned in this post.

I would like to advocate a rise of Mega Diancie from A- to atleast A, if not A+.

Mega-Diancie has extremely good coverage and can 2HKO a majority of the meta. It can also serve as an offensive check to Yveltal, Lati@s, Giratina-O, Ho-oh, Darkceus, Darkrai, Unboosted Salamence among many others. Mega-Diancie does not have many good switch-ins and can adapt in the role of a Stall Breaker (CM) or against Offensive Teams (Protect). It also has decent bulk before mega-evolving which lets it switch into a select few unboosted attacks effortlessly.

I would like to advocate a rise of Mega Diancie from A- to atleast A, if not A+.

Mega-Diancie has extremely good coverage and can 2HKO a majority of the meta. It can also serve as an offensive check to Yveltal, Lati@s, Giratina-O, Ho-oh, Darkceus, Darkrai, Unboosted Salamence among many others. Mega-Diancie does not have many good switch-ins and can adapt in the role of a Stall Breaker (CM) or against Offensive Teams (Protect). It also has decent bulk before mega-evolving which lets it switch into a select few unboosted attacks effortlessly.
I wouldn't call it a sure-fire check to the Latis. Moonblast is a 2HKO thanks to Soul Dew, while Psyshock picks up a comfortable 2HKO too. It comes down to Speed ties. It becomes worse if you're not running Protect, as you're gauranteed to lose at least one Speed tie. Also, one of the main issues with it is despite 2HKOing most of the meta, it's in return OHKOd by most things due to it's terrible bulk. Furthermore, being able to "2HKO most of the meta" really isn't that big an accomplishment in this tier, as this tier is filled with powerhouses. Xerneas, Yveltal, Ho-oh, both Primals, the Latis are the best examples of Pokemon that can also do this; that's just another 7 Pokemon that also share that title.

I think A- is fitting, but at the very most A. Being forced to run Protect is kinda bad for such an offensive natured Pokemon.

Last edited:

Reffrey

Banned deucer.
Perhaps Arceus-Flying should be moved up to C+. It's not that good but it easily outranks steel, fire, and psychic arceus. Arceus-flying is weak to ice, electric, and rock. It's main threats are kyurem-w, zekrom, landorus, and greninja, which are all not too common. It can be sent out on pdons that lack stone edge or rock slide, and if it sets up a calm mind or 2, then it can become bulky enough to survive thunder or ice beam from primal kyogre. I have come up with a decent set for it: calm mind, judgment, recover, and refresh. With a bold nature, 252 def, 252 spa, 4 speed, this set is not at all terrible, as it can take hits well, cure itself of status ailments, and boast great offensive capability after just one calm mind boost. I've tested it out and it certainly deserves a rank better than "C." The great thing about it being a flying type is that no pokemon are immune to its judgment, and it gets ground immunity. It also fairs well against top tier threats such as normal, dark, and ghost arceus, and ho-oh. Its weakness to ice is what really kills this mon's viability, but still, teams rarely carry more than 2 ice beam users. You guys can disagree with me, but seriously flying arceus is not as bad as the other arceus forms that are currently C rank. Arceus ice and arceus fire are garbage, as they are primal bait. Arceus dragon is outclassed by several dragons in the metagame, arceus steel gets creamed by earthquake and fire moves, which are very common, and arceus psychic gets destroyed by ghost and dark types, which are common. Arceus electric is terrible offensively and gets killed by pdon. I would actually say that arceus flying is more viable than arceus- grass, since grass arceus has 5 weaknesses. Arceus- flying can be used on a team that needs a calm mind user that isn't weak to steel or fairy. Arceus-fairy can run the same exact set as arceus-flying and work much better, but if one desires xerneas on their team, then arceus-fairy may not be a good option(why have 2 special attacking fairies?). C rank pokemon seem to be pokemon that no good players use. Arceus flying isn't used by many good players, but I do have 1 ubers team with an arceus flying on it that has a decent 69 gxe. And don't worry I recognize that arceus-flying is a bit of a noobish arceus form, but it is not entirely useless. Lugia is a better option than it in most cases, but not in all cases.

I fail to see how a large amount of S-Rankers is a problem in any way. If they are all metagame-defining forces, then they all deserve their S-Ranks. Honestly, 6 Pokémon isn't even that much, considering there've been S-Ranks with 8 Pokémon in other tiers in the past.
Can you tell me, if you remember, which 8 pokemon these were? And in which tier?

Mr.378

The Iron Man of Ubers
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Can you tell me, if you remember, which 8 pokemon these were? And in which tier?
OU had, at one point in XY:
Both Mega Charizards
Mega Pinsir
Aegislash
Thundurus-I
Landorus-I
Bisharp
Both Deoxys forms

At S at one point. Though it may have been Mega Venusaur instead of one of the Deoxys.

OU had, at one point in XY:
Both Mega Charizards
Mega Pinsir
Aegislash
Thundurus-I
Landorus-I
Bisharp
Both Deoxys forms

At S at one point. Though it may have been Mega Venusaur instead of one of the Deoxys.
Wow, I had no clue Mega Pinsir, Bisharp and Venusaur were S rank worthy.

Mr.378

The Iron Man of Ubers
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
They were considered so for a time in XY. Bisharp was only there for a few days though. Mega Pinsir and Mega Venusaur were up there for a while in early XY.

why remove shuckle but not smeargle

sure smeargle has its massive movepool and all with spore but what does it do that gren or deoxys can't do better

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
why remove shuckle but not smeargle

sure smeargle has its massive movepool and all with spore but what does it do that gren or deoxys can't do better
SmashPass offense is a bit better than it was xy imo because of just how strong Ice-type attackers are. It still has a couple terrible match ups, but is still salvageable. Smeargle is the only mon that can viably make this work.

SmashPass offense is a bit better than it was xy imo because of just how strong Ice-type attackers are. It still has a couple terrible match ups, but is still salvageable. Smeargle is the only mon that can viably make this work.
Might as well try it again sometime. I used SmashPass a lot to mixed success but dropped it long ago because Taunt became a staple on nigh everything that learns it, plus priority hurts the recipient more unless White Herb...but that's a risky gamble for an item because Smeargle can't take anything that isn't a Rapid Spin or some other weak-ass move without Sash. Sure, Magic Coat kinda helps but predict wrong and your passer is dead. And if Smeargle gets Taunted with no attacking moves(though you could add utility and use Nuzzle or something)...well, free turn for whatever Taunted it, which sucks in a meta with GeoXern and setup sweepers/wallbreakers everywhere.

So I'll just drop this here so there can be some discussion about this rather controversial subject: with Mega Gengar no longer being the go-to mega in the ubers metagame, Chansey is once again a viable option and needs to be moved up somewhere. I'm not sure where exactly she should be placed, but I am positive that a "Chansey rank" is no longer needed.

Gen 5 RU had 7 S-Rankers. Slightly off, but they were Slowking/Druddigon, Moltres/Sceptile and Escavalier/Kabutops/Uxie. Divided in Top, Mid and Low S, respectively.

So I'll just drop this here so there can be some discussion about this rather controversial subject: with Mega Gengar no longer being the go-to mega in the ubers metagame, Chansey is once again a viable option and needs to be moved up somewhere. I'm not sure where exactly she should be placed, but I am positive that a "Chansey rank" is no longer needed.
Mega-gengar is still great, and why would anyone wanna be caught with their pants down vs one. Blissey checks the same things and can run leftovers to handle hazards better and can wish much better because of lefties

Chansey is still a joke if you ask me. Blissey can prevent being total refresh mence fodder with ice beam which still deters Gengar somewhat. Gengar might not be as prevalent but it still is a good mon and the amount of things that Chansey actually wall that Blissey don't aren't high enough to warrant its use.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Chansey is still a joke if you ask me. Blissey can prevent being total refresh mence fodder with ice beam which still deters Gengar somewhat. Gengar might not be as prevalent but it still is a good mon and the amount of things that Chansey actually wall that Blissey don't aren't high enough to warrant its use.
If they were then maybe gar would be more prevalent; either way the point stands

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoublesubers-194000730

Check this out. It's an ubers doubles replay with the guy who is ranked #1 in smogon doubles ubers. He uses an arceus-flying. lol. I'm serious arceus flying isn't entirely useless. I advocate for it to be moved up to C+ or even B- rank. Read what I said on pg 14 of the thread.
The doubles meta and the singles meta are two different entities. Just because something is good in Doubles does not mean it is good in Singles.

Reffrey

Banned deucer.
What's even the niche for Arceus flying? there's an opportunity cost for using the arceus forms.
Arceus-flying can run the calm mind- refresh - recover - judgment set. It doesn't have as much opportunity cost as several other arceus forms such as fire, electric, grass, psychic, and ice. It's also not too bad offensively as it can become fairly powerful after 1 or 2 calm mind boosts, and there aren't too many strong ubers pokemon that resist its stab judgment. With max defense and a bold nature it can own pdon even if pdon carries stone edge(stone edge misses a lot anyway). It's usually weak to primal kyogre but after 2 calm mind boosts it can handle pogre's thunder just fine. I've used it in ubers singles to test it out and it's not really that bad. It's like an arceus fairy but with more weaknesses. C rank seems to low for it. It's not any worse than arceus poison and arceus grass. Seems like there are too many arceus forms clumped in C rank. I advocate for moving it up to C+ and B- at maximum. Not an entirely useless poke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)