League of The Phoenix

League of The Phoenix
Ever thought about how Pokémon suffer fainting just because of one trainer's cruelty? Imagine the trust and loyalty his Pokémon give, only to be forsaken like a piece of trash. Imagine a perfect world where Pokémon don't suffer pain, and instead fight for their pride as equals alongside their trainers. League of The Phoenix is that perfect world! The idea behind League of The Phoenix is that once a Pokémon faints, they are forced to switch out to a Pokémon of the kind trainer's choosing; in the process, they are completely revitalised (HP is fully restored.) Items are restored upon rejuvenation, even when Tricked, Knocked Off, or Bestowed. So you may be asking yourselves "how exactly do you win?!" Well, that's simple, we have a tally (point system.) There are six points in total and every time a Pokémon faints, a point is subtracted. Then what? Beat the opponent's Pokémon to a pulp 6 times with no shame or guilt, and part knowing that you just obliterated your opponent's Pokémon without them suffering; great for sadists like you!
  • Rejuvenated Pokémon's HP are fully recovered.
  • PP is not restored after rejuvenation.
  • Stat boosts are not preserved after rejuvenation.
  • Items are reproduced after rejuvenation.
  • Rejuvenation always occurs last.
  • You win by subtracting your opponent's points to zero.
  • Self-KO moves are banned.
  • OU clauses are applied.

Important note to coders

I want to know if reviving a fainted Pokémon is possible, and if not, I don't mind implementing a change in the mechanics where Pokemon rejuvenate after reaching one HP.

Special thanks to Radioactive Pie in Deviant Art for making this wonderful Ho-Oh artwork.

Last edited:
I suspect that stall will probably be quite good in this meta, seeing as how the opponent has to actually pry open your defensive core several times, and you can afford to slip up once or twice (since it's not like they'll take out your key counter to something). Checks without reliable recovery might get some more mileage out of this, as their inability to repeatedly check an offensive threat is negated -- unless said threat runs recovery, in which case you can't realistically outlast it, but whatever.

Since the idea of 'taking out key Pokemon' doesn't make sense here, I don't think trapping will be quite as good as it is in standard. I have to wonder whether Mega Gengar should be suspected -- yeah, it's a guaranteed KO, but you also take a KO, and you don't have a neutralized threat to show for it. It would be a top-tier threat, certainly, but I don't know that it could break this meta like it would standard.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Is Mega Evolution undone if the pokemon faints but is revived (You also can't Mega Evolve again)? Because that is how it works in game

Ever thought about how Pokémon suffer fainting just because of one trainer's cruelty? Imagine the trust and loyalty his Pokémon give, only to be forsaken like a piece of trash. Imagine a perfect world where Pokémon don't suffer pain, and instead fight for their pride as equals alongside their trainers. League of The Phoenix is that perfect world! The idea behind League of The Phoenix is that once a Pokémon faints, they are forced to switch out to a Pokémon of the kind trainer's choosing; in the process, they are completely revitalised (HP is fully restored.) Items are restored upon rejuvenation, even when Tricked, Knocked Off, or Bestowed. So you may be asking yourselves "how exactly do you win?!" Well, that's simple, we have a tally (point system.) There are six points in total and every time a Pokémon faints, a point is subtracted. Then what? Beat the opponent's Pokémon to a pulp 6 times with no shame or guilt, and part knowing that you just obliterated your opponent's Pokémon without them suffering; great for sadists like you!
Experiencing pain is related to receiving an injury, not getting knocked unconscious; actually, by keeping them conscious, you are forcing the poor Pokemon to suffer more because they feel pain while conscious and don't get to stop when they are defeated. To be more accurate, you are literally torturing them.

Anyway, I don't think offense is hindered that badly because hazards are even more important when your opponent might try the same thing twice and revenge killing won't stop a sweeper from trying again later.

There's also no to "sac" something to a set up threat to bring in a check anymore. In theory, a mon can beat the same mon 6 times and win that way.

Experiencing pain is related to receiving an injury, not getting knocked unconscious; actually, by keeping them conscious, you are forcing the poor Pokemon to suffer more because they feel pain while conscious and don't get to stop when they are defeated. To be more accurate, you are literally torturing them.

Anyway, I don't think offense is hindered that badly because hazards are even more important when your opponent might try the same thing twice and revenge killing won't stop a sweeper from trying again later.
I'll save the irony for the sake of comedy! (This is my second sadist metagame, I'm really weird, huh?)

Also something to ask is whether PP also gets restored when fainting. And add this to skillmons and you have the ultimate no hax meta(if you consider misplays to be hax anyway)

Honestly this looks like a great meta for Hyper Offense.

Actually, thinking on it, it looks like an anti-balance meta. Hyper Offense doesn't have to worry about sacrificing a Pokemon turning out to leave you crippled (Whoops, that was your only way to crack open Heatran, good job you moron), while Stall can take the occasional screw-up without it destabilizing the team's synergy. I don't think balanced playstyles get a lot out of this meta -against Stall they really want to be able to take down key Pokemon, and against Hyper Offense they don't want whatever is the most problematic sledgehammer able to just keep coming back in after its been KOed having done egregious damage. I'm half expecting weird stuff like half a dedicated stall team welded to half a dedicated hyper offense team.

Though my first thought was "hey this sounds like the TCG". It's not that similar, but that was my first thought.

Question: do refreshed Pokemon come in at full health and then get hit by hazards, or do they arrive at full health regardless?

Hazards are going to play a key role here because you don't need to start from tile 1 again. The Hazards are already there.

On the flip side, setup sweepers could care less whether they want to sweep 6 mons or 12. Although extended sweep timing could add entertainment value.

This might be premature considering no-one has even played a game of this yet, but I think something needs to be done about shadow tag and arena trap, or maybe just shadow tag if dugtrio doesn't turn out to be as good as goth or wobb thanks to a lack of bulk. Trappers make the game too easy to win by being able to trap the same thing multiple times, and also being able to easily pseudo heal themselves to be able to do it repeatedly. In ou, there is only a limited number of things they can trap, and once they are gone then they are useless. But in this meta they can trap the same thing as many times as they want. Volt turn+wobb/goth looks stupidly op: either gain momentum in an endless cycle, or lose a life, then repeat. I really don't want this to be as cancerous as early averagemons.

This might be premature considering no-one has even played a game of this yet, but I think something needs to be done about shadow tag and arena trap, or maybe just shadow tag if dugtrio doesn't turn out to be as good as goth or wobb thanks to a lack of bulk. Trappers make the game too easy to win by being able to trap the same thing multiple times, and also being able to easily pseudo heal themselves to be able to do it repeatedly. In ou, there is only a limited number of things they can trap, and once they are gone then they are useless. But in this meta they can trap the same thing as many times as they want. Volt turn+wobb/goth looks stupidly op: either gain momentum in an endless cycle, or lose a life, then repeat. I really don't want this to be as cancerous as early averagemons.
You raise an excellent point. After this metagame is coded (can someone pls code this?,) I'm going to immediately test trapping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)