OU Emboar

QC: ben gay / Bluwing / liberty32
GP: P Squared / The Dutch Plumberjack
Overview
########

Emboar's great STAB combination and Reckless make it a powerful physical wallbreaker that is extremely hard to wall. It also has the perfect movepool to abuse its ability, consisting of moves such as Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, and Head Smash. Emboar is also immune to burn, while also having a solid defensive typing that allows it to check threats such as Bisharp. However, it is quite slow, but access to Sucker Punch can somewhat remedy this. Emboar is also weak to common priority moves such as Brave Bird and Aqua Jet and is easily worn down due to its use of recoil moves and susceptibility to entry hazards.

Wallbreaker
########
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Wild Charge
move 4: Sucker Punch / Head Smash
ability: Reckless
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Flare Blitz and Superpower are two very powerful STAB moves, with Flare Blitz also being boosted by Reckless. Wild Charge is a must on Emboar, as it is allows it to hit bulky Water-types such as Azumarill, which could otherwise wall this set, while also being boosted by Reckless. Sucker Punch remedies Emboar's low Speed, but it should only be used in combination with Life Orb, as it is a horrible move to be locked into. Head Smash is also an option to hit Pokemon that wall Emboar's STAB combination, such as Mega Altaria, but it is inaccurate and best used with Choice Band.

Set Details
========

Reckless is the only reason Emboar is used, as it turns Emboar from a mediocre physical attacker into an extremely powerful wallbreaker. Life Orb allows Emboar to switch moves and therefore makes it less reliant on prediction, but it wears down Emboar very quickly. Choice Band gives Emboar much more immediate power at the cost of locking it into a move. 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature maximize Emboar's Speed, allowing it to outpace Gliscor and defensive variants of Mega Altaria. The rest of the EVs are poured into Attack so that Emboar can hit harder.

Usage Tips
========

Try to use Emboar to break down bulkier walls so that a teammate can muscle past them. You should be clicking Flare Blitz most of the time, as it is Emboar's strongest move and deals heavy damage even to Pokemon that resist it. Don't be afraid of playing recklessly, as Emboar's main job is to punch major holes in the opposing team. Sucker Punch only has 8 PP and can easily be taken advantage of; only use it in certain situations, such as against faster Pokemon that threaten to outspeed and KO Emboar.

Team Options
========

Rotom-W has good synergy with Emboar; it is immune to Ground-type attacks and resists Water- and Flying-type attacks, while also having a slow Volt Switch to bring in Emboar safely. Healing Wish users such as Jirachi and Latias are good teammates, as they can fully heal Emboar and cure its status, giving it another shot at wallbreaking. Emboar greatly appreciates entry hazard support, which allows it to obtain crucial 2HKOs and OHKOs. Ferrothorn is capable of setting up Stealth Rock and Spikes; it can also take Water- and Psychic-type attacks for Emboar, while Emboar can sponge Fire-type attacks aimed at Ferrothorn. Garchomp can set up Stealth Rock, while Emboar can break down walls for Garchomp, allowing Garchomp to sweep late-game with Swords Dance. Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, Rock Polish Mega Metagross, Substitute + Calm Mind Keldeo, and Swords Dance Talonflame all appreciate Emboar's ability to weaken their counters, such as Skarmory, Slowbro, Rotom-W, and Landorus-T. Mega Gardevoir is also a fantastic partner for Emboar, as Emboar can easily defeat its checks and counters, such as Chansey, Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn, while Mega Gardevoir can defeat Mega Altaria and physical walls that can take Emboar's attacks. Emboar can easily be worn down by entry hazards, so entry hazard removal is strongly appreciated. Latios and Latias can Defog away hazards, while Emboar can ward off Bisharp. Starmie can spin away entry hazards, while Emboar is able to defeat Ferrothorn and Chansey.

Other Options
########

Grass Knot can be used to deal with Pokemon such as Quagsire, Alomomola, and Hippowdon, which Emboar often lures in; however, they are already hit quite hard by Emboar's STAB moves. Choice Scarf allows Emboar to act as a revenge killer but takes away its main purpose of being a wallbreaker. Will-O-Wisp neuters common switch-ins to Emboar such as Landorus-T and Mega Altaria, but Emboar will either miss out on coverage or priority. A stallbreaker set with Taunt is also feasible, but Emboar is quite slow, and it would be walled by Mega Sableye.

Checks & Counters
########

**Priority**: Emboar is weak to common priority moves such as Brave Bird and Aqua Jet, so it can easily be revenge killed. Talonflame's Brave Bird will hit before Emboar's Sucker Punch, while Azumarill resists Sucker Punch.

**Mega Altaria**: Mega Altaria resists all of Emboar's moves but takes lots of damage from Head Smash. However, it can switch in on Emboar's STAB moves and has Roost to keep itself healthy, and Emboar will eventually KO itself because of recoil.

**Landorus-T**: Landorus-T has Intimidate to weaken Emboar's attacks, but Flare Blitz can 2HKO it. However, it is still a solid check, being able to switch in on Superpower and Wild Charge and KO back with Earthquake.

**Faster Pokemon**: Any Pokemon that can stomach a Sucker Punch, outspeed, and KO back is a good check to Emboar. Pokemon in this category include Keldeo, Garchomp, and Mega Diancie.

**Weather Sweepers**: Common weather sweepers such as Excadrill and Mega Swampert can easily revenge kill Emboar when in their respective weather conditions.

Last edited:
Can't really think of any more checks and counters rn, this thing is insanely hard to wall, even phys defensive hippo is 2HKOed by flare blitz, and bulky waters are nuked by wild charge.
I think this is QC ready though.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there any reason not to go max speed? Unless the 40 def or hp EVs let you avoid some certain KO or 2hko, then yeah.

Also, while it does check Bisharp which is pretty cool it hates losing its life orb.

While I haven't used Emboar in OU, I feel the overview gives it a bit too much credit for a d ranked pokemon. Just some food for thought.

i would mention an alternate spread of max atk and speed jolly in set details, but the current spread is fine. outspeeding mew, tentacruel, zapdos, spdefrachi, gliscor, some altaria, adamantsharp, offensivesdmegazor are things that you can hit that you couldn't otherwise with jolly. everything else looks good, just buffer up checks and counters section since anything remotely fast and not weak to sucker punch can outspeed and ohko it (keld,chomp,diancie,lop,sandexca,rainsweepers,etc.) 1/3

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Sucker Punch should be on the Choice Band set, because being locked into it can screw you over due to its conditional use and being forced to switch out when a Dark-resisting/physically bulky check comes in really blows. Another move (like Earthquake or Grass Knot or something) should probably be slashed in front of it since Band is the first item slash.

Not sure about Bulk Up myself, as Emboar is not bulky enough on the Special side to take advantage of the Defense boosts, lacks Drain Punch to keep itself healthy (and will probably kill itself anyway because why use it if you're not using spamming Reckless-boosted moves), and can't prevent revenges by Special attackers.

Will-O-Wisp could probably get its own mention in OO separate from the Stallbreaker set, as it cripples otherwise solid switch-ins Lando-T, Mega Altaria, and Mega Swampert (it fears Grass Knot but w/e).

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
it seems that the 40 in Def is just there cos it was leftover, in which i case i'd suggest that it goes to HP so that you can handle little more recoil.
while Emboar can ward off Bisharp.
idk the calc says it won't be so easy
252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Emboar: 136-161 (37.6 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Emboar: 112-132 (31 - 36.5%) -- 68.8% chance to 3HKO
so, considering min rolls, Emboar takes at least 68.6% damage, and since you were prolly trying to defog, there are some hazards up, so accounting that it's prolly left to about 20% of health left, not counting any recoil . Also the Bisharp user can just switch out after Knock Off, removing the LO/CB, doing decent damage and forcing hazards damage, so Emboar is more often than not fainting in the next couple turns. The only trouble here is the limited switchins to the right move, but other than that i'd not count on Emboar to be effective against Bisharp when the latter comes in to grab a Defog boost.
+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Emboar: 273-321 (75.6 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Is there any reason not to go max speed? Unless the 40 def or hp EVs let you avoid some certain KO or 2hko, then yeah.

Also, while it does check Bisharp which is pretty cool it hates losing its life orb.

While I haven't used Emboar in OU, I feel the overview gives it a bit too much credit for a d ranked pokemon. Just some food for thought.
Going max speed with adamant doesn't let emboar outspeed that much; you should only go max speed with jolly.
i would mention an alternate spread of max atk and speed jolly in set details, but the current spread is fine. outspeeding mew, tentacruel, zapdos, spdefrachi, gliscor, some altaria, adamantsharp, offensivesdmegazor are things that you can hit that you couldn't otherwise with jolly. everything else looks good, just buffer up checks and counters section since anything remotely fast and not weak to sucker punch can outspeed and ohko it (keld,chomp,diancie,lop,sandexca,rainsweepers,etc.) 1/3
ok
I don't think Sucker Punch should be on the Choice Band set, because being locked into it can screw you over due to its conditional use and being forced to switch out when a Dark-resisting/physically bulky check comes in really blows. Another move (like Earthquake or Grass Knot or something) should probably be slashed in front of it since Band is the first item slash.

Not sure about Bulk Up myself, as Emboar is not bulky enough on the Special side to take advantage of the Defense boosts, lacks Drain Punch to keep itself healthy (and will probably kill itself anyway because why use it if you're not using spamming Reckless-boosted moves), and can't prevent revenges by Special attackers.

Will-O-Wisp could probably get its own mention in OO separate from the Stallbreaker set, as it cripples otherwise solid switch-ins Lando-T, Mega Altaria, and Mega Swampert (it fears Grass Knot but w/e).
jukain told me to put sucker punch on the wallbreaker set o.O
also, EQ is mainly for steels, and emboar already has flare blitz and superpower for those. grass knot is also pretty sucky to be locked into too.
I'll remove bulk up and gives will o wisp a seperate mention, seems good
it seems that the 40 in Def is just there cos it was leftover, in which i case i'd suggest that it goes to HP so that you can handle little more recoil.

idk the calc says it won't be so easy
252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Emboar: 136-161 (37.6 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Emboar: 112-132 (31 - 36.5%) -- 68.8% chance to 3HKO
so, considering min rolls, Emboar takes at least 68.6% damage, and since you were prolly trying to defog, there are some hazards up, so accounting that it's prolly left to about 20% of health left, not counting any recoil . Also the Bisharp user can just switch out after Knock Off, removing the LO/CB, doing decent damage and forcing hazards damage, so Emboar is more often than not fainting in the next couple turns. The only trouble here is the limited switchins to the right move, but other than that i'd not count on Emboar to be effective against Bisharp when the latter comes in to grab a Defog boost.
+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 40 Def Emboar: 273-321 (75.6 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
in the analysis, I said that emboar could ward off bisharp for chansey. that means that more likely than not, emboar will be receiving some wishes or something, keeping it healthy.

Getting Choice locked into Sucker Punch is an extremely risky to make. Slash Sucker Punch with Head Smash, and mention that Sucker Punch should only be used with Life Orb. Head Smash comes especially useful when you predict a Mega Altaria switch-in, as being able to hammer them with a Reckless-boosted Head Smash will OHKO offensive variants.

Also, I would remove Chansey as a teammate for Emboar. Chansey is more designed to fit on stall teams, whereas Emboar fits onto balance and bulky offense. Chansey-based balance teams are usually more defensively inclined, and Emboar wants teammates that can capitalize on its wallbreaking capabilities. Mention a Healing Wish user instead, like Latias or Jirachi, as they are usually better fits than Chansey onto the builds that Emboar fits on.

Getting Choice locked into Sucker Punch is an extremely risky to make. Slash Sucker Punch with Head Smash, and mention that Sucker Punch should only be used with Life Orb. Head Smash comes especially useful when you predict a Mega Altaria switch-in, as being able to hammer them with a Reckless-boosted Head Smash will OHKO offensive variants.

Also, I would remove Chansey as a teammate for Emboar. Chansey is more designed to fit on stall teams, whereas Emboar fits onto balance and bulky offense. Chansey-based balance teams are usually more defensively inclined, and Emboar wants teammates that can capitalize on its wallbreaking capabilities. Mention a Healing Wish user instead, like Latias or Jirachi, as they are usually better fits than Chansey onto the builds that Emboar fits on.
ok

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
forgot chansey, was focussing on bisharp as threat to defoggers, but still i think the 40 EVs in HP is pretty valid

edit: didnt see you changed it, my bad

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Going max speed with adamant doesn't let emboar outspeed that much; you should only go max speed with jolly.

ok

jukain told me to put sucker punch on the wallbreaker set o.O
also, EQ is mainly for steels, and emboar already has flare blitz and superpower for those. grass knot is also pretty sucky to be locked into too.
I'll remove bulk up and gives will o wisp a seperate mention, seems good

in the analysis, I said that emboar could ward off bisharp for chansey. that means that more likely than not, emboar will be receiving some wishes or something, keeping it healthy.
I personally don't agree with that, but if Jukain told you then you should probably listen to him over me.

You never mentioned in C&C that offensive Mega Altaria is OHKOd by Banded Head Smash after Stealth Rock:

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Head Smash vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 286-337 (93.1 - 109.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 286-337 (98.2 - 115.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i've tested emboar a bit and i think jolly is the best nature for this. outspeeding gliscor and slower mega altaria (aka the standard balance spatker and even a lot of dd variants) is way too crucial, especially considering:

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 242-286 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Gliscor: 192-227 (54.2 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 136-160 (38.5 - 45.3%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

i also think life orb is the best item. even though you get worn out more quickly, the utility of switching moves is high, as it makes emboar much less prediction heavy. furthermore, the ability to use sucker punch to finish off foes that your attacks didn't ohko, ohkoing latis trying to rk, and just not getting taken advantage of using the move.

definitely mention healing wish support for this mon. emboar is one of those wallbreakers that is insanely strong and difficult to wall, but it's worn out quickly enough that it may not always be able to complete its job the first time around, making healing wish support valuable.

Also, you are going to really need to emphasize hazard support so you can nail critical KOs:

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 203-239 (51.5 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 265-312 (88.6 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Also,
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Superpower vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 175-207 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Superpower vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 117-138 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
57.7 + 38.6 = 96.3 + 12.5 - 6.25 > 100%

Mention teammates that can set up Stealth Rock, like Garchomp, Ferrothorn, etc., since Emboar in particular wants entry hazard support to nail key KOs.

You never mentioned in C&C that offensive Mega Altaria is OHKOd by Banded Head Smash after Stealth Rock:

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Head Smash vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 286-337 (93.1 - 109.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 286-337 (98.2 - 115.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Mega Altaria is a check, emboar really doesn't have lots of counters, since they're either hit hard by it's STAB moves, or are hit SE by wild charge.
i've tested emboar a bit and i think jolly is the best nature for this. outspeeding gliscor and slower mega altaria (aka the standard balance spatker and even a lot of dd variants) is way too crucial, especially considering:

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 242-286 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Gliscor: 192-227 (54.2 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 136-160 (38.5 - 45.3%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

i also think life orb is the best item. even though you get worn out more quickly, the utility of switching moves is high, as it makes emboar much less prediction heavy. furthermore, the ability to use sucker punch to finish off foes that your attacks didn't ohko, ohkoing latis trying to rk, and just not getting taken advantage of using the move.

definitely mention healing wish support for this mon. emboar is one of those wallbreakers that is insanely strong and difficult to wall, but it's worn out quickly enough that it may not always be able to complete its job the first time around, making healing wish support valuable.
ok, I'll change the main set the jolly, but I think I'll slash CB after LO, since the extra power is very helpful. also I already mentioned healing wish support :]

Grass Knot and Expert Belt are very good alternatives. Emboar's coverage is so good that it can take advantage from Expert Belt and not force itself into extra residual damage.

I've posted it several times when nominating Emboar but please put up a bulky SubPunch set. In my experience, it was the most useful as well as deceptive, but it's best against balance and BO, is better against HO with Sub safety and Sucker Punch for the Latis and Genger for example, but not as good against Stall like the wallbreaker set. It has a very easy time throwing up a Sub though in front of Ferrothorn, Heatran, Skarmory, Chesnaut, and Bisharp as examples. But it can run Adamant with max Attack, only needing enough speed to outrun Skarmory with the rest in HP, with Leftovers and Substitute/Flare Blitz/Focus Punch/Sucker Punch. The longevity of the set is fantastic and still quite powerful, I've posted replays and my thoughts in the reservation thread and in the OU thread.

EDIT: While it's wrecked by Wild Charge, Gyarados is still a really good check able to come into 3/4 moves coupled with Intimidate and threaten out with Waterfall.

Last edited:
In my experience, I don't think Life Orb + recoil moves wear down Emboar "slowly" -- I find that they drain its health fairly quickly when accounting for other factors potentially going on (attacks, hazards, etc).

Could a tank set be worth using? Emboar does die really damn fast, especially with LO, but Emboar is actually pretty bulky, and it has has a really nice defensive typing. A lefties Max HP set can repeatedly check a lot of prominent threats (Scizor, Bisharp, Jirachi, Defensive Heatran, Serperior, Celebi, lots of other stuff ), while still hitting pretty damn hard. It can also make good use of Will-o-wisp and Sucker Punch. Even doing hefty damage to most moms, this set wears itself down very slowly.

Could a tank set be worth using? Emboar does die really damn fast, especially with LO, but Emboar is actually pretty bulky, and it has has a really nice defensive typing. A lefties Max HP set can repeatedly check a lot of prominent threats (Scizor, Bisharp, Jirachi, Defensive Heatran, Serperior, Celebi, lots of other stuff ), while still hitting pretty damn hard. It can also make good use of Will-o-wisp and Sucker Punch. Even doing hefty damage to most moms, this set wears itself down very slowly.
lol
Anyways, I don't really think that a defensive set is worth it. Emboar lacks recovery outside of rest, and infernape probably does his job better. Infernape can check all of the threats you mentioned above, while also getting slack off and stealth rock. Also, a defensive emboar set wouldn't make much use of emboar's ability - reckless, and the only reason why emboar is even on the viability rankings is because of it's reckless wallbreaker set. CB / Life orb reckless boosted flare blitzes really hurt. Emboar is a very powerful wallbreaker that is extremely hard to wall, due to reckless and it's high base power STAB and coverage moves. By running a tank set, you aren't using emboar in the best way possible.

lol
Anyways, I don't really think that a defensive set is worth it. Emboar lacks recovery outside of rest, and infernape probably does his job better. Infernape can check all of the threats you mentioned above, while also getting slack off and stealth rock. Also, a defensive emboar set wouldn't make much use of emboar's ability - reckless, and the only reason why emboar is even on the viability rankings is because of it's reckless wallbreaker set. CB / Life orb reckless boosted flare blitzes really hurt. Emboar is a very powerful wallbreaker that is extremely hard to wall, due to reckless and it's high base power STAB and coverage moves. By running a tank set, you aren't using emboar in the best way possible.
I implore you, check out the SubPunch set. The bulk and longevity is underestimated from the amount of free turns, and you have dual 150 BP STABs with Reckless Flare Blitz and Focus Punch. Wallbreaker set is good against Stall, but SubPunch is better against EVERYTHING else.

probably need some more QC input on that, as I've never used sub punch before. However, Jukain only told me to make that one wallbreaker set for emboar.

I know, people keep ignoring my input. But it's been a very good pokemon, I can attest from my experience. It is most certainly worthy of an additional analysis, especially considering the unpredictability coupled with the effectiveness.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Talked with QC and we agreed Subpunch Emboar shouldn't be getting a set because you lose the entire purpose of Emboar in the first place, which is its actual wall-breaking capabilities. You lose to Slowbro, to Gliscor, Starmie, become more easily played around and the justification that surprise factor warrants a set is silly when the surprise factor is lost just by having a set up on the analysis. So that's a no on the subpunch set.

252+ Atk Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 212-250 (81.2 - 95.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 212-250 (65.4 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Emboar Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 297-349 (91.6 - 107.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (Reflect Type)

You don't lose to Starmie. Offensive Starmie is eliminated by Sucker Punch after LO recoil, and you can fire two off safely behind a Sub anyway. Reflect Type dies to Focus Punch. Starmie will die when you Sub on the switch. Still a dead Starmie, only you have a lot more HP left to go.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor: 243-286 (68.6 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252+ Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor: 178-210 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

Gliscor is still 2HKO regardless, and the HP and Leftovers actually means Gliscor is incapable of OHKOing you with Earthquake, as opposed to the wallbreaker set where SR and recoil will end up killing you. Focus Punch can be used safely and repeatedly behind a Sub if Gliscor uses Roost, doing more damage than Flare Blitz and not racking up recoil damage. PRotect healing is more tricky, but you'll be healing with Leftovers too.

252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 140-166 (35.5 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 160-190 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It requires perfect prediction with a CB to actually potentially 2HKO Mega Slowbro. So it isn't the most reliable stop to him anyway. Regular Slowbro is still only 2HKO by Wild Charge and if you're locked it can easily switch into a Ground type and recover half the damage from Regenerator. So all of your examples aren't really so black and white in practice.

Wallbreaking isn't the sole focus of Emboar. It's the main selling point yes, and good against Stall. It isn't any more easily played around then a Choice Band set when Substitute and Leftovers give you breathing room, ability to switch moves with a larger margin for error. It isn't solely effective because it isn't expected, bulky offense and balance, the more popular styles atm, have to switch out facing an Emboar. Unpredictability is still relevant when there are two sets listed on an analysis like many others. Heatran is commonly a specially defensive variant, but choice items are also alternatives listed. Which set is it running? You don't know until it makes a move firstm so that isn't a fair criticism for Emboar.

Focus Punch is great because it can be thrown out repeatedly as opposed to Superpower. It's a perfectly viable alternative spread, and in my experience using both, it absolutely pulls its weight if your team has an alternate wallbreaker. Kyu-B in particular pairs well as its Ice/Electric moves are perfect for Gliscor and Mega Slowbro that you were worried about.

If it isn't deemed worthy then fine, it's not my decision and that's cool, but I feel its being dismissed without being tested. I just don't want something potentially good be overlooked.

By running SubPunch, you effectively only have 1 moveslot. You're running Sub, Focus Punch, Flare Blitz and filler. If you run sucker punch in the last slot, you're dead walled by every type of bulky water, and 2HKOing gliscor doesn't matter when it has poison heal, protect and roost. It can basically spam protect + roost and emboar kills itself eventually from recoil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)