ORAS UU Choice Specs Espeon to Take the Stage!

Hello everyone :) This is my first RMT, so any feedback would be appreciated! (P.S. I am sorry that this is kind of long, but there's a lot to talk about!)

First off, the main protagonist!

Choice Specs Espeon:

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

For a long time I wanted to use an Espeon on a team but I didn't like baton pass and the calm mind set just didn't sit well with me, so I came up with this beauty. Modest Choice Specs Espeon is a powerful threat that can 2HKO many walls that wouldn't normally find Espeon to be a threat (see defensive Cofagrigus, Doublade, AV Goodra, Florges, Gastrodon, Hippowdon, CroCune).

I gave it just enough speed to outspeed +speed base 95's (specifically for Kyurem, Drapion, Houndoom pre-mega, and Arcanine), however just enough to outspeed Krookodile (base 92) would have been an option as well.

Note: 0 Atk IVs allows it to take significantly less damage from foul play and confusion. Do this for any purely special attacking Pokemon, please.

-Psyshock is for the nasty special walls that plague UU that would have nullified this set (namely Florges and Assault Vest users).
-Grass Knot is for the bulky water types (crocune) that can sometimes be a problem (CROCUNE) and I just wanted to get rid of safely (CROCUNE). Other than CroCune, though, it does help with threats like Gastrodon, Hippowdon, Swampert, Milotic, and even some just plain heavy mons like Aggron.
-Dazzling Gleam is a necessity for this set as it takes on the plethera of dark types in UU that would love to switch in on an Espeon. The biggest threats that were on my mind were Hydreigon, Scrafty, and Honchkrow. This move handles them nicely.
-Shadow Ball is another necessity for the psychic and ghost types that would inevitably take on Espeon. The main threat that was on my mind was Trevenant, but the rare Cofagrigus or Reuniclus get destroyed by this move.

Now, with any choice user, I needed a Pokemon that could take the hits when I inevitably mis-predict my choice specs attack on a switch and have to switch out. After making a list of threats for Espeon, I came to the conclusion that almost every good UU switch-in to Espeon would most likely be a physical attacker.

In comes our support character, Donphan!

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Simple physical wall. He takes all of the physical hits that Espeon would not appreciate.

-Stealth Rock is an obvious choice. With a choice specs sweeper, the best option is to have hazards on the field. This allows you to get key KOs on Pokemon that wouldn't necessarily get OHKOd or 2HKO'd otherwise (my eye was on physically defensive Florges here).
-Earthquake is a STAB that lets Donphan take advantage of his high attack stat. Without it, Donphan is easy Taunt fodder.
-I chose Knock Off over Stone Edge or Ice Shard simply because I am running complete defense. I felt that utility over damage would be more important based on my later Pokemon choices
-Rapid Spin was a move I hadn't originally put on Donphan. I had in mind to not have any form of hazard removal, as my general style of play means that hazards aren't very dangerous to my teams. However, my later Pokemon additions required extra health for their roles and I decided to go with Rapid Spin.

With any good physical wall, you need something to soak up the special hits. After some type calculations, I found the best synergizer to Espeon and Donphan was... Empoleon!

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Roar

Empoleon has a wonderful typing synergy with Espeon and Donphan, taking many hits they wouldn't like to take and vice-versa.

- Scald is a wonderful attack on any water-type that learns it. If a special wall gets a burn, there is not much the opponent can do to break it.
- Ice beam is a wonderful coverage move. The biggest threat on my mind with this move was Gligar, who would otherwise wall Espeon and Donphan.
- Toxic is for anything I can't burn with Scald. It's great for bulky waters and allows it to barely beat out Milotic (but watch out for Marvel Scale!)
- Roar is a powerful phasing move. It allows Empoleon to completely counter a lead Cloyster and check other set-up pokemon pretty well.

I thought about sacrificing Ice beam for Stealth Rock on Empoleon for another move on Donphan, but I felt Donphan is a much safer lead against threats such as Hippowdon, Flygon, and Hitmontop. Defog was another option, but with the necessity for Stealth Rocks on this team, I didn't think it was a good choice.

Now, after all of this wall, I realized I was lacking in speed and power. Also, I had weaknesses to Dark, Ghost, Grass, and Ground with no resistances. My next choice was obvious.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Surf

Scarfed Hydreigon was the perfect Pokemon for my needs. Fast, check. Powerful, check. Resists/immune to every single one of my weakness, check. It was a match made in heaven.

- Draco Meteor was the first move on my mind. I needed to wipe out any Pokemon in my way. Draco Meteor takes advantage of Hydreigon's power Special Attack to take out threats that Dragon Pulse simply couldn't handle.
- To synergize with Draco Meteor, Flash Cannon allows Hydreigon to be a Pokemon that can not be switched in on.
Well, that's not completely true. The combination of Draco+Flash Cannon has one main problem: steel types. Because of this, most people put on Fire Blast/Flamethrower instead of Flash Cannon (especially since they both hit ice types super effectively and flash cannon only really helps with Florges and Slurpuff, the latter which rarely shows its face in UU). However, my argument is anything that can deal more damage to Florges is a happy thing. That, and I always miss Fire Blast >.>
- So, I got to thinking. What Pokemon was Fire Blast/Flamethrower trying to prevent? Forretress, Lucario, Registeel, Bronzong, and Doublade were the only ones that could come to my mind.
Dark Pulse was an obvious choice for these Pokemon for these reasons:
1) Forretress can do nothing to Hydreigon. Hydreigon will defeat Forretress no matter what move the Hydreigon chooses.
2) Lucario would not want to switch in on a draco meteor. If it is already in, Donphan is a wonderful counter. Anyway.
3) Registeel is too bulky even if you have flamethrower. It would be a better play to switch to Empoleon than to spam Flamethrower.
4) Dark Pulse is simply more powerful against Bronzong and Doublade.
- Choosing between Earth Power, U-turn, and Surf was difficult for me. U-turn obviously gives momentum which would be a great tool for a scarfed Hydreigon, and part of me thinks it would be the best option. Earth Power is also a good move as it hits Aggron and Ampharos hard. However, I felt that Surf would be a great move to catch the opponent off-guard. Gligar, Rotom-heat, and Shuckle would otherwise be safe switch-ins for Hydreigon and be a pain if not for surf. It also helps with the odd air-balloon Chandelures, Darmanitans, and Arcanines that I've seen growing in popularity, lately.

So, that makes two choiced special attackers and two defensive pokemon. I need some speedy physical attacking Pokemon and Mega-Beedrill was the first to come to mind. Its typing doesn't add any unnecessary weakness to the team and is one of the biggest threats to the UU meta-game at the moment.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect
- U-turn

Fast, powerful. Simple, but effective. Not much I can say other than this build is the only viable build for UU (other than the extremely risky swords dance set, but I don't have the guts for that).

- Poison Jab. STAB with Adaptability. Simple Power.
- Protect. Absolutely necessary on Mega-Beedrill. It gets the speed it needs from mega evolving and stays alive since it dies in one hit.
- U-turn. STAB with Adaptability. Simple Power. I could run X-Scissor here, but with two powerful walls, why would I? Great for momentum.
- Drill Run is one move that I see replaced with Knock Off. Knock Off is a good move, but it doesn't serve the purpose of this Pokemon. Mega-Beedrill needs to get a kill and get out. Knock Off doesn't kill anything that Poison Jab or U-turn can, therefore Drill Run is a better option as it takes out steel types that would otherwise switch in to Mega-Beedrill all day.

Finally, I needed one more physical attacker to round out the team. I thought of some swords dance sets that might be effective, but after testing I found a banded set would be stronger.

So, in the end... Entei!

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Flare Blitz

I gave Entei just enough speed to outspeed base 85s. This is for Cresselia, Heracross (non-scarfed), weakened Gligar, and Nidoking.

-Sacred Fire. It's a standard move on all Entei and one shots Nidokings <3. STAB and high burn chance.
- Extreme Speed is a great priority move. It allows Entei to take on Mega-Beedrills that have Drill Run. 60 Base Power +2 Priority with a Choice Band is too hard to pass up.
- Stone Edge is used completely for other fire types. Specifically, if the other team has a Pokemon with Flash Fire. Chandelure would wall Entei otherwise... and a Chandelure shouldn't be able to wall anything.
- Flare Blitz is almost completely for Florges. Just look at this calc:
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 304-358 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
It gives the extra damage you need against certain threats, and also is 100% accurate compared to Sacred Fire. Also, extra PP is helpful as a wallbreaker. The recoil is painful, but with 115 base HP, Entei can take it.

So there you have it, my whole team:
Specs Espeon, Physical Wall Donphan, Special Wall Empoleon, Scarfed Hydreigon, Mega-Beedrill, Banded Entei.

Some flaws with the team:
1) Three choiced Pokemon is a huge risk. A miscalculation in play can end up losing you a Pokemon, and subsequently, the game.
2) The only true bulk the team has is within two Pokemon, and each of them are focused on an individual stat. If Donphan or Empoleon goes, it may be hard to defend and the team HAS to play as a hyper-offense team. Granted, hydreigon, espeon, and entei MAY be able to take a hit on switch-in, it may be difficult.
3) Mega-Beedrill is simply weak against priority. This makes it the most easily countered pokemon on the team. If you plan on taking out any Pokemon on the team, I recommend Mega-Beedrill. A good substitute would be Swords Dance Heracross, but that adds a weakness in speed to the team as a whole.
4) Do not underestimate Stealth Rocks and Spikes. If Donphan is gone, they are a strong check to this team.

Full Team: http://pastebin.com/kvVCPHfX

I hope you enjoyed my team! Thank you for your time :D

Yah as a personal prefrence I HATE choice items... every single one of them (.-.) Maybe Life Orb one of them. This way you have at least some coverage incase of an issue while still having an attack boost!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)