move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Hydro Pump
move 4: Roost
item: Life Orb
ability: Intimidate
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although it faces competition from other Dragon-type special attackers in the tier, Salamence has the tools necessary to carve out a niche for itself. While it is outclassed in terms of Speed by Latios and Latias and raw power by Hydreigon, Salamence's mix of physical bulk with Intimidate, amazing coverage, surprise value, and resistances to common moves such as U-turn and Mach Punch allows it to use a specially attacking set to great effect in BW OU.</p>

<p>Draco Meteor is Salamence's main STAB move, having great neutral coverage in the tier and hitting any Pokemon that doesn't resist it for heavy damage. Fire Blast is a great coverage move alongside Draco Meteor, being able to KO Steel-types that try to switch in on Salamence's Draco Meteor, such as Ferrothorn and Scizor, as well as roasting Grass-types like Breloom and Venusaur. Hydro Pump allows Salamence to lure and OHKO physical walls such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T, common switch-ins to Choice Scarf Salamence. It also allows Salamence to hit Tyranitar and Heatran for super effective damage. Finally, Roost increases Salamence's longevity and lets it make the most of its good bulk and typing by healing off damage from Life Orb recoil, resisted hits, and Stealth Rock.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Salamence's Speed is maximized to make good use of its Speed tier, allowing it to outspeed threats such as Hydreigon and Kyurem-B. Salamence's Special Attack is also maximized with a Modest nature so it can hit as hard as possible. A Timid nature could be used, but Salamence generally needs all the power it can get to attain OHKOs against Pokemon such as Hippowdon and specially defensive Breloom.</p>

<p>An alternative item, Expert Belt prevents Salamence from being worn down quickly by Life Orb recoil and allows it to bluff a Choice item while still retaining most OHKOs and 2HKOs it would get with Life Orb. However, it significantly decreases the power of Draco Meteor and requires entry hazards to be set up for Salamence to get certain OHKOs, making it a less viable option.</p>

<p>This Salamence set appreciates Tyranitar as a teammate, as it can Pursuit trap Latios and Latias, which can outspeed and OHKO Salamence. Choice Band variants of Tyranitar can also threaten special walls such as Chansey and Blissey. In return, Salamence can check Fighting-types such as Breloom and also threatens Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Hippowdon, Pokemon that can usually switch into Tyranitar with ease. Breloom is another good partner, as it can help deal with bulky Water-types such as Jellicent, which can wall Salamence given enough Special Defense investment. It also deals with Chansey and Blissey and can threaten Rock-types, such as Terrakion, with Mach Punch. In return, Salamence can lure and beat physical walls such as Landorus-T and Skarmory and check Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Venusaur, which can hinder Breloom's attempts to sweep. Choice Scarf Jirachi is also a great partner for Salamence, as Jirachi can check fast threats such as Latios, Latias, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and Terrakion, and it is free to spam Iron Head once Salamence lures and removes the physical walls that stop it.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Tom, I'll give you my opinion on the set so far since it hasn't been worked on recently and doesn't look complete. So correct me if i am wrong.

Athough Salamence carries a powerful water type move in Hydro Pump which is his primary advantage over Hydriegon, the set is limited to pretty much only these three moves in the set, unless you run a Hidden power, yet none really seem to give an advantage over roost. Whereas Hydriegon is much more versatile and unpredictable. So there isnt anything that can really be changed to his move slots

Also Jellicent is a decent counter to this set, so Pokemon that can lure him in and faint him, or force him out, make great partners (Tyrannitar, Hydreigon, Rotom-W, Celebi, Ferrothorn, Roserade). His ability to lure Physical walls and OHKO them, also warrants the accommodation of physical sweepers that can break special walls like Jellicent and Blissey. These could include a wide variety of Pokemon.

I guess thats it, cool set and hope I helped.

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comments)
[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Draco Meteor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although it has faces competition from other Dragon-type special attackers in the tier, Salamence has the tools necessary to carve out a niche for itself. Where While it is outclassed in terms of lacks in Speed, (AC) compared to by Latios and Latias, (Commas are optional, but I like them) or and raw power, (AC) (Again, optional comma. If you're going to use one set of commas, though, use the other as well.) by compared to Hydreigon, its Salamence's mix of physical bulk with Intimidate, amazing coverage, surprise value, and resistances to common moves such as U-turn or and Mach Punch allow Salamence it to use a specially-(remove hyphen)attacking set to great effect in BW OU.</p>

<p>Draco Meteor is Salamence's main STAB move, having great neutral coverage in the tier and hitting anything any Pokemon that doesn't resist it for heavy damage. Fire Blast is a great coverage move alongside Draco Meteor, being able to KO Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor that who try to switch in on Salamence's Draco Meteor, (AC) such as Ferrothorn and Scizor Dragon-type STAB, as well as roasting Grass-types such as Breloom or and Venusaur. Hydro Pump allows Salamence to lure and OHKO physical walls such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T, (AC) who are common switch-(add hyphen)ins to Choice Scarf Salamence. It also allows Salamence to hit Tyranitar and Heatran for super effective damage. Finally, Roost allows increases Salamence's longevity and lets it make the most of its good bulk and typing, (RC) by healing off damage from Life Orb recoil, resisted hits, or Stealth Rock.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Salamence's Speed is maximized to make good use of its Speed tier, allowing it to outspeed threats such as Hydreigon or and Kyurem-B. Salamence's Special Attack is also maximized with a Modest nature so it can hit as hard as possible. A Timid nature could be used, but Salamence generally needs all the power it can get to attain OHKOs against Pokemon such as Hippowdon or and specially defensive Breloom.</p>

<p>An alternative item, (AC) Salamence is capable of using an Expert Belt prevents Salamence from being worn down quickly by Life Orb recoil and and still allows it to bluff a Choice item and still retain most OHKOs or and 2HKOs it would get with Life Orb, while allowing Salamence to bluff a Choice item and preventing it from being worn down quickly by Life Orb recoil. However, it significantly decreases the power of Draco Meteor and requires entry hazards to be set up for Salamence to get certain OHKOs, making it a less valued viable option.</p>

<p>This Salamence set appreciates Tyranitar as a teammate, as it can Pursuit trap Latios and Latias, which can outspeed and OHKO Salamence. Choice Band variants of Tyranitar can also threaten special walls such as Chansey or and Blissey. In return, Salamence can check Fighting-types such as Breloom, (RC) and also threatens Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Hippowdon, Pokemon that can usually switch into Tyranitar with ease. Breloom is another good partner, as it can help deal with bulky Water-types such as Jellicent, which can wall Salamence given enough Special Defense investment. It also deals with Chansey and Blissey, (RC) and can threaten Rock-types, (AC) such as Terrakion, (AC) with Mach Punch. In return, Salamence can lure and beat physical walls such as Landorus-T and Skarmory, (RC) and also check Pokemon such as Amoonguss or and Venusaur, (AC) which who can hinder Breloom's attempts to sweep. With Salamence luring the aforementioned physical walls, Choice Scarf Jirachi is also a great partner for it Salamence, as Jirachi can check fast threats such as Latios, Latias, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and Terrakion, and it is be free to spam Iron Head once Salamence lures and removes the physical walls that stop it are removed.</p>

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Draco Meteor
EVs evs
: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although it faces competition from other Dragon-type special attackers in the tier, Salamence has the tools necessary to carve out a niche for itself. While it is outclassed in terms of Speed by Latios and Latias and raw power by Hydreigon, Salamence's mix of physical bulk with Intimidate, amazing coverage, surprise value, and resistances to common moves such as U-turn and Mach Punch allow allows it to use a specially attacking set to great effect in BW OU.</p>

<p>Draco Meteor is Salamence's main STAB move, having great neutral coverage in the tier and hitting any Pokemon that doesn't resist it for heavy damage. Fire Blast is a great coverage move alongside Draco Meteor, being able to KO Steel-types that try to switch in on Salamence's Draco Meteor, such as Ferrothorn and Scizor, as well as roasting Grass-types such as Breloom and Venusaur. Hydro Pump allows Salamence to lure and OHKO physical walls such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T, common switch-ins to Choice Scarf Salamence. It also allows Salamence to hit Tyranitar and Heatran for super effective damage. Finally, Roost increases Salamence's longevity and lets it make the most of its good bulk and typing by healing off damage from Life Orb recoil, resisted hits, or Stealth Rock.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Salamence's Speed is maximized to make good use of its Speed tier, allowing it to outspeed threats such as Hydreigon and Kyurem-B. Salamence's Special Attack is also maximized with a Modest nature so it can hit as hard as possible. A Timid nature could be used, but Salamence generally needs all the power it can get to attain OHKOs against Pokemon such as Hippowdon and specially defensive Breloom.</p>

<p>An alternative item, Expert Belt, prevents Salamence from being worn down quickly by Life Orb recoil and allows it to bluff a Choice item and while still retaining most OHKOs and 2HKOs it would get with Life Orb. However, it significantly decreases the power of Draco Meteor and requires entry hazards to be set up for Salamence to get certain OHKOs, making it a less viable option.</p>

<p>This Salamence set appreciates Tyranitar as a teammate, as it can Pursuit trap Latios and Latias, which can outspeed and OHKO Salamence. Choice Band variants of Tyranitar can also threaten special walls such as Chansey and Blissey. In return, Salamence can check Fighting-types such as Breloom and also threatens Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Hippowdon, Pokemon that can usually switch into Tyranitar with ease. Breloom is another good partner, as it can help deal with bulky Water-types such as Jellicent, which can wall Salamence given enough Special Defense investment. It also deals with Chansey and Blissey and can threaten Rock-types, such as Terrakion, with Mach Punch. In return, Salamence can lure and beat physical walls such as Landorus-T and Skarmory and check Pokemon such as Amoonguss and Venusaur, which can hinder Breloom's attempts to sweep. Choice Scarf Jirachi is also a great partner for Salamence, as Jirachi can check fast threats such as Latios, Latias, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and Terrakion, and it is free to spam Iron Head once Salamence lures and removes the physical walls that stop it.</p>

GP 2/2
leave some more for me next time please ;_;

Last edited:

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dang, Weebl's strong. Thanks for the checks guys! Implemented, this is ready for upload.

Btw Dutch, I think EVs go before Nature on the set just from looking at other analyses from the Past Gens forum, not 100% but that's just what I've seen

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Dang, Weebl's strong. Thanks for the checks guys! Implemented, this is ready for upload.

Btw Dutch, I think EVs go before Nature on the set just from looking at other analyses from the Past Gens forum, not 100% but that's just what I've seen
They are before nature haha, I edited that in a bit later because I noticed it on Hydra and realised I forgot to fix it here :[

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tokyo Tom, about the appositive in Additional Comments:
An alternative item, Expert Belt,
Either keep it like it was in my check and remove the comma after "Expert Belt" or make it "Expert Belt, an alternative item, prevents..."

I'm telling you this because if you add a comma after Expert Belt, it's somewhat incorrect because any term enclosed in commas like this (which we call a nonessential appositive appositive) can be removed from the sentence without fundamentally changing the meaning of the sentence. If you remove "Expert Belt," the sentence is just: "An alternative item prevents..." If you remove the comma after "Expert Belt," the nonessential appositive moves to the beginning of the sentence (An alternative item) and has this meaning if you take it out: "Expert Belt prevents..." You need to know what the item is--that's essential information. However, explicitly telling us that Expert Belt is an alternative item is not information we need to understand the structure and meaning of the sentence--it's extra information, "flavour," if you will.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Implemented, my bad about that, I misread that part in the check originally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)