SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's a new one, what's up with Psyduck and Golduck's names?

While Psyduck is okayish for a yellow duck with a headache and weak psychic power, in comparison to Golduck it makes no sense. Golduck is a blue kappa-like duck with a psychic-looking jewel on its brow, while Psyduck is the golden-colored duck.

And this isn't a translation mix-up, in Japanese Golduck is still Golduck and Psyduck is Koduck (meaning child-duck). Also, neither of them are psychic types (but learn a tiny amount of psychic attacks)!
View attachment 38129
Hey buddy, I'm as confused as you.
According to Bulbapedia the color gold is sometimes associated with the Psychic-type (in Mystery Dungeon the Gummi which Psychic-types like best is the Gold Gummi. Also the Marsh Badge is called the Gold Badge in Japan).

According to Bulbapedia the color gold is sometimes associated with the Psychic-type (in Mystery Dungeon the Gummi which Psychic-types like best is the Gold Gummi. Also the Marsh Badge is called the Gold Badge in Japan).
But that still doesn't make any sense with Golduck not being a true psychic type, just learning a few psychic moves.

Plus the Marsh Badge is a translation error, the original badges were to match with the Japanese names for the cities that gave them (and their corresponding color tones on the Gameboy Color). So the Marsh Badge = Gold Badge because Saffron city = Yamabuki City (a golden flower). The odd one out is Celadon City and the Rainbow badge, but apparently that's a reference to the Jewel Beetle (a mostly green bug with a rainbow sheen).

stage7_4 Oh, my mistake. But to be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure to why Golduck is blue either, especially considering Psyduck is the gold one.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
But that still doesn't make any sense with Golduck not being a true psychic type, just learning a few psychic moves.

Plus the Marsh Badge is a translation error, the original badges were to match with the Japanese names for the cities that gave them (and their corresponding color tones on the Gameboy Color). So the Marsh Badge = Gold Badge because Saffron city = Yamabuki City (a golden flower). The odd one out is Celadon City and the Rainbow badge, but apparently that's a reference to the Jewel Beetle (a mostly green bug with a rainbow sheen).
What about Golduck being blue?
I'm just reporting what Bulbapedia said. Honestly it doesn't make much sense to me either (and I can only guess they themselves are guessing).

And the translation error doesn't effect the Badge that Sabrina gives being called the Gold Badge in Japan.

Two little easter eggs I found in ORAS.

First is graphical, but in ORAS (and XY too, I think) if you put Heatran to sleep his eyes won't shut like other pokemon do. Which is creepy awesome to have Heatran sleeping with red eyes still in a grimacing stare.

Secondly is a Twitch easter egg. Hard to believe it's been a full year since that went viral. Anyway, there are a couple Omanyte references (like the picture in Mr. Stone's office) but the only explicit one is in the French version. When challenging Brawly, he says "ai découvert le secret de la vraie puissance en fixant un Nautile pendant des jours et des jours" or "I discovered the secret of a true power by staring at a Helix Fossil for days and days."

O_O

Between this and the Serebii-pokearth easter egg, they really love to get meta in this game, don't they?

Two little easter eggs I found in ORAS.

First is graphical, but in ORAS (and XY too, I think) if you put Heatran to sleep his eyes won't shut like other pokemon do. Which is creepy awesome to have Heatran sleeping with red eyes still in a grimacing stare.

Secondly is a Twitch easter egg. Hard to believe it's been a full year since that went viral. Anyway, there are a couple Omanyte references (like the picture in Mr. Stone's office) but the only explicit one is in the French version. When challenging Brawly, he says "ai découvert le secret de la vraie puissance en fixant un Nautile pendant des jours et des jours" or "I discovered the secret of a true power by staring at a Helix Fossil for days and days."

O_O

Between this and the Serebii-pokearth easter egg, they really love to get meta in this game, don't they?
I've noticed that with Heatran as well. Makes you wonder if either Game Freak forgot to give it a sleeping animation... or its eyes are lidless. (or they're not really eyes, but that's just silly! It's also been a long time since I caught Heatran in White2, so I can't remember if its eyes closed there or not)

And of course while it needed something for it to stand out from the other early Flying types, there could very well have been a little TPP inspiration for Pidgeot to get Mega treatment. And the Pidgeotite recognized in a building with the Helix Fossil/Omanyte featured within. (albeit Dome Fossil/Kabuto is also featured but not as prominently)

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but what is the deal with the guy in the Castelia City alleyway, who jumps out at you and gives you the TM for Flash? At first, I thought it was a non-too-subtle reference to 'flashing', but the guy's character sprite looks somewhat like what a 'Men In Black' sprite would look like in Pokémon. If so, could the 'man in black' giving you a 'flash' be a reference to the Men in Black and the neuralizer instead? He even makes a comment about sunglasses, a rather prominent feature in the films.

The image can be found here.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but what is the deal with the guy in the Castelia City alleyway, who jumps out at you and gives you the TM for Flash? At first, I thought it was a non-too-subtle reference to 'flashing', but the guy's character sprite looks somewhat like what a 'Men In Black' sprite would look like in Pokémon. If so, could the 'man in black' giving you a 'flash' be a reference to the Men in Black and the neuralizer instead?

The image was too big to put in here, so use the link instead.
I think that's just due to limited overworld sprites. I don't remember what the guy said, but having someone run up to you in a alleyway and then giving you a "flash" is probably the joke they were going for. They just used the "men in black" sprite because he looks suspicious.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
That's really western so I'd think it's a far stretch to be the reference that the developers were going for.

Not sure if this is a mystery or not, but is the child at the Battle Resort implied to be Tierno,or am I just crazy?

Pretty sure if they wanted it to be Tierno they'd use Tierno's overworld model... whichever child at the Battle Resort you're referring to.
I was talking about the child near the Whismur dance crew; yammering on about how much he loved dancing. I also highly doubt they would use Tierno's pre-teen XY model for a subtle call forward 5+ years in the past at the Battle Resort when he would still just be a little kid.

1) Why is it that Professor Sycamore invited everybody to the parade except your only relative, your mother?

2) In BW2, there is a trainer who mentions that Colress spoke of stones which give off a strange energy (Route 10, I think) . Could this be a reference to the Mega Stones?

3) Why does Mewtwo have 2 Mega Stones when Mewtwo was artificially created while the Mega Stones were products of nature (or they just absorbed the energy of Xerneas / Yveltal) ?

4) Why is Malva not persecuted as a member of Team Flare? She should have been fired from the Elite Four and be imprisoned at the very least.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
1) Why is it that Professor Sycamore invited everybody to the parade except your only relative, your mother?

2) In BW2, there is a trainer who mentions that Colress spoke of stones which give off a strange energy (Route 10, I think) . Could this be a reference to the Mega Stones?

3) Why does Mewtwo have 2 Mega Stones when Mewtwo was artificially created while the Mega Stones were products of nature (or they just absorbed the energy of Xerneas / Yveltal) ?

4) Why is Malva not persecuted as a member of Team Flare? She should have been fired from the Elite Four and be imprisoned at the very least.
1. That always was a bit odd to me. In the post game your mother even mentions seeing you on TV and Sycamore working to invite everyone he could, making me think maybe she chose not to go for some reason. I remember reading somewhere a suggestion that maybe since your mother was a famous Rhyhorn Rider that she didn't want to distract people's attention away from you and your friends, though I personally find that as a flimsy excuse. I'm wondering if maybe its so that they didn't have to create a hi-detail 3D model that they'd only be using for one cutscene, but that still doesn't explain in-game why she wouldn't have come.

2. Well it can't be Route 10 since in BW2 that route was closed down. However a random NPC in XY on Kalos Route 10 mentions Colress researching the stones there which were the stones that Pokemon were strapped to to power the ultimate weapon. Sycamore suggested that Mega Stones were the result of the firing of the Ultimate Weapon.

3. Maybe a Mega Stone isn't specifically created for a certain Pokemon but rather it gives off an energy signature that matches the signature of the Pokemon it Mega Evolves. It just so happens that two types of stones was irradiated in a way that their energy signature matches that of Mewtwo.

4. Well it seems like she kept a low enough profile that no one but possibly Looker was able to dig up evidence that she was part of Team Flare. Second it's implied that Looker, after realizing Emma was dragged into working for Xerosic, made a deal to get rid of the evidence he got against her so that he and the player could find Xerosic and stop him & free Emma.

Can't answer 1 and 2, but...

3. It's implied that the events in Hoenn (Primal Kyogre/Groudon and Delta Episode) created more mega-stones due to sharing similar circumstances to Kalos' distant past. If Mewtwo was created before ORAS, then his mega-stones could have formed during one of these plots (and then he took them with him to Kalos for XY).

4. Beginning to think that the harshest punishment in the pokemon world is a time-out, due to how rarely any villains ever see punishment.

If true law was upheld, Maxie and Archie would be incarcerated for grand scale eco-terrorism, Giovanni for taking a building hostage and unlawful experimentation, and Malva, Saturn, Colress, the Sages, N, those two girls whose names escape me in BW, and others would be still tried as accessories to a crime (or much worse).

Honestly, it's easier to count how many DID get arrested. All I can think of is Xerosic, Charon, the Sages (most later released/escaped), and Ghetsis (DID escape).

Not counting Colosseum/XD, just because I can't remember at the moment.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Can't answer 1 and 2, but...

3. It's implied that the events in Hoenn (Primal Kyogre/Groudon and Delta Episode) created more mega-stones due to sharing similar circumstances to Kalos' distant past. If Mewtwo was created before ORAS, then his mega-stones could have formed during one of these plots (and then he took them with him to Kalos for XY).

4. Beginning to think that the harshest punishment in the pokemon world is a time-out, due to how rarely any villains ever see punishment.

If true law was upheld, Maxie and Archie would be incarcerated for grand scale eco-terrorism, Giovanni for taking a building hostage and unlawful experimentation, and Malva, Saturn, Colress, the Sages, N, those two girls whose names escape me in BW, and others would be still tried as accessories to a crime (or much worse).

Honestly, it's easier to count how many DID get arrested. All I can think of is Xerosic, Charon, the Sages (most later released/escaped), and Ghetsis (DID escape).

Not counting Colosseum/XD, just because I can't remember at the moment.
3. The Primal Battle happened WAY before the Mewtwo made by Fuji was created (unless you believe its possible for a natural Mewtwo to happen or ancient people were able to create a Mewtwo).

4. Yeah, I found it odd how in some games you could find the villain team bosses/admins in places you'd think the authorities would be investigating. Archie/Maxie, Shelly/Tabitha, and Saturn would be arrested by now. However for the others you mentioned there could be some explanation:

Giovanni escaped for a few years and I still question whether we should really consider the PWT canon.

As I said with Malva she kept low (probably to better help Team Flare by doing false news reports to cover their schemes and spy on the Pokemon League) and any hard evidence against her was probably destroyed when Looker made the deal with her (and if the Pokemon League do suspect her they may want to keep her close to keep an eye on her).

Sage Rood, Anthea, Concordia, and the other Plasma grunts in Driftveil you can maybe make an arguement are under probation (with Clay possibly acting as their probation officer being the local Pokemon League official who might as well be the police in the Pokemon world).

Only the player in BW2 knows where N is and I would suspect N would avoid the authorities if they did come for him.

Similarly the player in BW2 only knows where Colress is and if the authorities did go after him he can just fly away on the Plasma Frigate.

3. The Primal Battle happened WAY before the Mewtwo made by Fuji was created (unless you believe its possible for a natural Mewtwo to happen or ancient people were able to create a Mewtwo).
Considering how there's a Mewtwo in Pokemon Conquest (I don't care if it's noncanon, that must hint at something) and considering ancient people built the DNA Splicers, I believe so

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty sure GF supervised them or something, not even them would be that careless as to let someone screw the plot over and do whatever they come up with... Right?
The anime exists so your argument is already dead.

Besides, as Codraroll said somewhere before (I think), GF isn't hugely concerned with continuity issues as the games are not story-heavy enough to require it. As long as other devs don't contradict the gameplay stuff like the type chart or evolution rules, GF probably doesn't care too much.

I meant the event in ORAS as in the ones we play and witness, not the super ancient battles from who knows when. Mewtwonite X/Y could form from either shards of Deoxys' meteorite or released from the natural energy surge when Maxie/Archie awoke Groundon/Kyogre and they turned primal (remember that giant green energy fountain?)

My only evidence is that after these two events there are random mega stones littering the landscape that weren't there when the game began (like the one in Littleroot).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Considering how there's a Mewtwo in Pokemon Conquest (I don't care if it's noncanon, that must hint at something) and considering ancient people built the DNA Splicers, I believe so
And let's not forget the Mewtwo inside the Sky Fortress in Pokemon Rangers: Guardian Signs. This series also has a bit more connection to the games as well, being you're able to transfer Pokemon in this game over to the main series. ;)

I meant the event in ORAS as in the ones we play and witness, not the super ancient battles from who knows when. Mewtwonite X/Y could form from either shards of Deoxys' meteorite or released from the natural energy surge when Maxie/Archie awoke Groundon/Kyogre and they turned primal (remember that giant green energy fountain?)

My only evidence is that after these two events there are random mega stones littering the landscape that weren't there when the game began (like the one in Littleroot).
Ahh, now I see. Still, there are no Mewtwo in Hoenn and the events that happened seem to have only affected Hoenn (unless, like you suggested, the meteor we broke apart had pieces fall to different parts of the Pokemon World which would surely have been irradiated by Mega Rayquaza's power). I still like my theory more since it allows more if not all Pokemon the chance to Mega Evolve without having to come up with more and more excuses.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
4. Well it seems like she kept a low enough profile that no one but possibly Looker was able to dig up evidence that she was part of Team Flare. Second it's implied that Looker, after realizing Emma was dragged into working for Xerosic, made a deal to get rid of the evidence he got against her so that he and the player could find Xerosic and stop him & free Emma.
whoa, whoa, is all this canonical? Who is Emma? And when did all this with Looker happen? I could probably look this up but it's really the first time I'm even reading about this so I'm confused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)