Other ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V2 - Check Post #2500 PG. 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quagsire and Mandibuzz are in no way B- IMO, they're actually pretty good in this meta. Quagsire has a massive role on stall, to check setup sweepers. It is, IMO, just as good as Clef at it, and by using Quag you can use a Clef to do something else, like Magic Guard CM Clef wincon. Granted, Quag only really fits on stall, but it is extremely good on stall, checking threats like CharX and Bisharp. You might think doesn't Hippo do the same? It takes alot of damage in the process, while Quag takes alot less.

Mandibuzz might have alot of common checks, but it also checks alot. Foul Play beats alot of physically offensive mons Mandi can take a hit from, especially if they're boosted. It checks MMeta, Bisharp and many more. B- is underating a mon who can check alot of common threats just because fairies beat it. If MMeta had been banned, I'd agree, but while it's still around Mandi is fine where it is.

I agree with Lucario dropping; It has 4MSS, mediocre stats and no real reason to see usage over other fightings other than beating fairies. That isn't B- worthy when many others have poison jab/gunk shot or iron head for coverage options.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can I ask why Suicune moved up? I honestly don't find it to be that effective : it completely loses to Sub CM Keldeo which is on 30% of all teams at this point, it loses to Celebi, it's setup fodder for Altaria, Gyarados and Sableye, it doesn't even handle MMetagross or Gliscor that reliably. It receives a lot of competition from Clefable, Sableye and MSlowbro as a CM sweeper and from Slowbro, Starmie, Rotom-W, Quagsire and Alomomola as a bulky Water type. Not to mention that RestTalk is really exploitable and really prevents it from handling offensive threats as well as it wants to. Just doesn't feel like B+ material to me.

Also I'd like to nominate Tyrantrum for B-, I honestly think it's on par with the other offensive threats in B- rank. Banded Head Smash obviously hits like an absolute truck, 2HKOing almost the entire metagame,and if you pair that up with Outrage, the only things that switch into it are Steel types which are generally passive and easy to take advantage of (with the exception of Metagross, but Metagross is a huge problem for a lot of stuff). It's just really good at weakening physical walls to pave the way for sweepers. It isn't exactly a slouch defensively either : it has good physical bulk and nice resists to Flying, Electric and Fire (though the latter doesn't come into play very often). Although it is rather slow, it has just enough speed to outpace most walls which only creep Bisharp, so it's actually pretty threatening to bulky teams. It's also really attractive Pokemon to build around as you can see by the huge amount of cores submitted in the good cores thread that feature it.
It also has a pretty decent Scarf set which is actually quite threatening to offensive teams, though Scarf Head Smash lacks power, it's still quite powerful and Outrage is a nice cleaning tool. Although it receives a lot of competition from Tyranitar, it's significantly more powerful, has Outrage as a secondary STAB and is able to check Torn-T

Also I agree with Magneton moving down to C rank, I really wouldn't ever use it over Magnezone given how important switching into fairies is, it's easier to just find another Talonflame check most of the time.

I also agree with Quagsire moving down simply on the basis that it is on par with Alomomola imo. They are both very passive water types which are taken advantage of by a lot of things, except one can stop sweepers and the other can pass wishes really well. I guess Quag is better as a standalone wall (it beats the electric types Alomomola can't, and the only thing I can think of that beats Quag but not Mola is GK MMeta), but Mola is a better team supporter and better at consistently swicthing into threats, so I feel like they are both on the same level and should share the same rank.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Anti brought this up in his potw thread and I couldnt agree more so I'm going to make a post to get more attention for this o_o

Mega Latias needs to rise. Like, a lot. It should be at the very least A-, if not A. Previous arguments I have heard about Mega Latias not deserving such a high rank have all been based on the fact that it takes a mega slot and that it's very match-up-based. While I agree that its Stored Power set has some elements of match-up that can hold it back in a battle, it should also be noted that it's biggest counters (Ttar, Bisharp, Sableye), are all decently easy to take advantage of. Simply pairing it with something like CM Keldeo or Cobalion can fix most of these issues. But that's only one set. There are purely defensive sets, the Thunder Wave set Anti mentioned in his thread, Defog sets, reflect type sets, etc. basically this thing checks a large part of the metagame, including two of the three S rank Pokemon. It's an insanely bulky Pokemon, but one with significant offensive presence. And in a bulky metagame that is obviously a very important trait. I mean, the fact that it's one of two true counters to Landorus alone makes it one of the best Pokemon in the tier, but also the fact that it is both largely unprepared for and also can support the rest of the team so well depending on its set is what makes it truly great. Sure it uses a Mega slot, but if it does what it's supposed to do, and that job is checking extremely important threats while also having the ability to sweep or provide support, then does that really matter? Yes it's Stored Power set is a free switch in for Metagross, but that's only true of one set. T-Wave sets will fuck Gross over, as will Reflect Type sets.

So yeah make Mega Latias A- or A rank please n_n

Completely agree with Mega Latias rising mainly due to countering the omnipresent monster that is Landorus-I. That is an amazing asset to any balance team no matter which way you look at it.

While I myself am not entirely sure as to why Suicune moved up, I've been messing around with its phazing set (Resttalk, scald, roar) and have found it to be extremely effective in doing its job especially when used in conjunction with M-Altaria's cleric set. It also becomes a quite reliable subCM Keld check (as long as you don't get last mon'd!!) in the process which is a feat that Crocune couldn't boast. It doubles as a decent M-Gross check aswell since grass knot isn't as used as it was early ORAS and even then M-Gross will often opt to switch out fearing b̶r̶o̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶ scald. It does face alot of competition from other bulky waters though and is pretty passive so I could understand if it moves down but am pretty cool with it staying in B+ atm.

Also how do you guys feel with Hawlucha moving up to B+/(A-)?

Not sure as to why it was demoted to B rank as the thing is surprisingly one of the meta's best late-game sweepers and finds ample opportunities to get behind a sub and set up. Landorus-T/Gliscor are the two mons that comes to mind that easily become a liability for your opponent if you happen to run SubSalac Luchador which is by far its best set. Lando-T is used on the majority, if not, atleast half of ORAS OU teams right now and Gliscor has also been rising in usage recently...Hawlucha loves exploiting both :]. Incredibly slept on and underprepared for mon in the current meta and I think it should rise.

Last edited:
Also I'd like to nominate Tyrantrum for B-, I honestly think it's on par with the other offensive threats in B- rank. Banded Head Smash obviously hits like an absolute truck, 2HKOing almost the entire metagame,and if you pair that up with Outrage, the only things that switch into it are Steel types which are generally passive and easy to take advantage of (with the exception of Metagross, but Metagross is a huge problem for a lot of stuff) it isn't exactly a slouch defensively : it has good physical bulk and nice resists to Flying, Electric and Fire (though the latter doesn't come into play very often). Although it is rather slow, it has just enough speed to outpace most walls which only creep Bisharp, so it's actually pretty threatening to bulky teams. It's also really attractive Pokemon to build around as you can see by the huge amount of cores submitted in the good cores thread that feature it.
It also has a pretty decent Scarf set which is actually quite threatening to offensive teams, though Scarf Head Smash lacks power, it's still quite powerful and Outrage is a nice cleaning tool. Although it receives a lot of competition from Tyranitar, it's significantly more powerful, has Outrage as a secondary STAB and is able to check Torn-T
Agreeing with this nomination in particular. I've built at least 2 teams heavily featuring Tyrantrum, and I've been finding a good amount of success. Some of the top win conditions in the Metagame only tend to need one threat removed before they can sweep. Tyrantrum is one of the few Pokemon I've found that can practically remove any one Pokemon per match no matter what it is. Getting more than one kill per match may require more careful play, but sometimes that one kill is all a team needs.

There is a very small number of Pokemon Tyrantrum cannot 2HKO with the right move (this thing can 2HKO Max/Max Mega Slowbro after rocks)
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 180-213 (45.6 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So if he gets on the field, it's hard to get him off it without something getting mangled. I've paired it with SubPass Celebi myself, luring out things like Heatran and Talonflame and SubPassing or DryPassing to meet them with thus
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 364-430 (94.5 - 111.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. +1 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 1356-1600 (377.7 - 445.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Unnecessary, I just like big numbers)

These are two examples of metagame wide Pokemon that inhibit numerous mons as long as they're alive. Being able to check them (Tyrantrum can outright counter any non-WoW Talonflame) is a big contributer to Tyrantrum's role as a battering ram, since even if they switch out whatever comes in is taking a beating, possibly more if it was a SubPass.

Given a chance to attack, Tyrantrum isn't a question of "will something faint?", it's "what's going to faint?", and considering how many teams often rely on "blanket" checks for certain mons or specific mons for very high tier threats, having a Pokemon that can guarantee a kill is definitely worth consideration.

Tyrantrum's lack luster bulk, middling speed, and questionable typing mean he won't usurp Kyurem-B or Lando-I as premier wallbreakers, but it's just how mindless Banded Head Smash allows him to be in his job that makes him something to watch for and at least tread around if he shows up.

Tyrantrum to B-

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
B And B- Rankings:
  • Dragalge to B+ or more: Dragalge's sheer force is definetly underated. Adaptability boosted Sludge Waves and Draco Meteors(coupled with Dragon Fang, which is arguably the best item to use on it period), combined to a coverage move such as Focus Blast, makes it a really hard Pokémon to switch into. Here are some calcs:
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 278-328 (77.4 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 282-332 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 368-434 (96.5 - 113.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Dragalge Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Heatran: 168-198 (43.5 - 51.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Dragalge Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 180-212 (51.1 - 60.2%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 346-408 (82.3 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 260-308 (72.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 158-188 (44 - 52.3%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO

• As you can see by the calcs, the Pokémon can be destructive, specially against balanced teams. Not only that, but it also sets up Toxic Spikes which can be amazing versus offensive teams. Last but not least, the ability to check Keldeo, Clefable, Thundurus, Charizard Y, Volcarona and many others can be really helpful.
  • Victini to B+: Choice Banded Victini is a cataclysm against stall. The "known" common stall team of the actual days(Sableye / Chansey / Cresselia / Gothitelle | Unaware Clefable / Skarmory / Quagsire) is destroyed by it. Quagsire is the closest to a good check, but it gets tricked by victini, which proceeds to u-turn and keep up momentun through Quag's weak attacks, to later pull through the team with it's strong V-Creates. It's also great versus balanced teams and can still get at least one kill versus offensive ones, as well as checking Pokémon like Clefable, Gardevoir, and even some Mega Metagross sets(S ranked Pokémon).
  • Weavile to B+: Weavile's a really good Pokémon at the moment. It checks the so-threatning Landorus-I, Pursuit traps Pokémon like Celebi, Latis, Gengar, and so many other Pokémon, and is just a really hard Pokémon to switch-in to due to it being just a fast Pokémon in general with good coverage moves(low kick, knock off, icicle crash, etc). It's not the best thing in the world and it has it's checks, but it can be a really helpful asset on offensive teams.
  • Omastar to B- or less: It's not even close to being as helpful of a mon as the others on B are. It gets outclassed if chosen for spikestacking, sweeping, or anything like that. If chosen for a rain team(which is I guess the only reason you'd choose it), it's most likely outclassed by Kabutops regardless, since Kabu has way less checks when it's on the rain with a life orb (while Omastar will need to keep itself locked on a move with Choice Specs most of the time), and also has coverage to deal with Pokémon like Ferrothorn(Low Kick), while Omastar fails to pull through that.
  • Zapdos to B: Zapdos is actually pretty cool. It can decently check a lot of the metagame(even the annoying Mega Metagross), also helping out teams with both Togekiss and Specially Defensive Talonflame, which are getting a ton of hype at the moment. Another great thing about the mon is that it's gonna beat Bisharp most of the time, since you just need to effort on a bit of it's speed EVs to be able to outspeed the mon and knock it out with heat wave, meaning they either gotta sacrifice it to do a lot of damage to Zapdos or not bring it in when it tries to defog.
Unrelated but still important:
  • Reuniclus to at least B-: The current metagame is using a lot of spikestacking balance teams, and that's where Reuniclus kicks in. This slime can break through a lot of balanced and stally teams, as long as you can play your cards right. It pressures them really hard because of the lack of a really hard hitter, meaning it can pull through those teams after only 2 or 3 Calm Minds. The ability to switch into the field without fearing Scald Burns, Hazards, Leech Seed or anything like that is just amazing, and when you couple that with a great setup move, good coverage(psychic + fighting) and recovery, you can be pretty much unstoppable a lot of times. I'll show you guys an example:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-41175
As you can see, both teams would pressure each other all the time with Reuniclus(me needing to go into Mega Latias so i can Thunder Wave it to beat him up 1v1 with my own little slime). Also, due to me catching him off guard with a Toxic Hippodown at the start of the match, Reuniclus even turned into a Talonflame counter, since it can't be hit by will-o-wisp. As said before, Reuniclus is really damn hard to beat when you're using a balanced / stally team which is one of(if not) the most common playstiles at the current moment, so it deserves a higher ranking.

Sorry if i wrote anything wrong :x

Last edited:
  • Omastar to B- or less: It's not even close to being as helpful of a mon as the others on B are. It gets outclassed if chosen for spikestacking, sweeping, or anything like that. If chosen for a rain team(which is I guess the only reason you'd choose it), it's most likely outclassed by Kabutops regardless, since Kabu has way less checks when it's on the rain with a life orb (while Omastar will need to keep itself locked on a move with Choice Specs most of the time), and also has coverage to deal with Pokémon like Ferrothorn(Low Kick), while Omastar fails to pull through that.
This is the only argument I feel I can address right now. Omastar does depend on Specs in OU Rain, but its power as a wallbreaker is ridiculous. Standard Ferrothorn can't check it if it has decent prior damage
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 155-183 (44 - 51.9%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Which is a point in Omastar's favor since Ferrothorn tends to be a "generic" or unintentional check to rain for a team. Even if Ferrothorn has health, getting that off softens Ferrothorn up for an actual sweeper or cleaner

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 192-229 (54.5 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 214-254 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 135-159 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I'd say a better comparison to Omastar would be Kingdra, who similarly is a Specially Based Rain attacker, with two usable STABs, some mixed potential, better bulk and defensive typing, but less overall power.

Omastar to B- or less: It's not even close to being as helpful of a mon as the others on B are. It gets outclassed if chosen for spikestacking, sweeping, or anything like that. If chosen for a rain team(which is I guess the only reason you'd choose it), it's most likely outclassed by Kabutops regardless, since Kabu has way less checks when it's on the rain with a life orb (while Omastar will need to keep itself locked on a move with Choice Specs most of the time), and also has coverage to deal with Pokémon like Ferrothorn(Low Kick), while Omastar fails to pull through that.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 155-183 (44 - 51.9%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur in Rain: 174-205 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Amoonguss in Rain: 212-250 (49 - 57.8%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias in Rain: 162-191 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Omastar doesn't exactly need moves other than Hydro Pump (and Scald if you're cleaning lategame) to work well in the rain, a little prior damage and most of it's checks get completely blown away. IIRC the best use of Omastar was in tandem with Kingdra, since they have similar checks and counters, and very few teams are able to stomach a second Swift Swim special attacker once Omastar goes down.

Completely agree with the rest of the slate, though.

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
I can see the point you guys brought up. I still think that there isn't much of point of using Omastar over Kabu(or Kingdra rather, like you guys said), probably due to it's typing(a "special" kabutops that still is a bird check for example) could be it. In any case, I'd say it's still outclassed(by kingdra tho, my bad) most of the time. n_n

edit: nvm, just noticed omastar has way more sheer force than kingdra, probably was wrong with that argument. My bad! Omastar stays where its at imoimo. :o

Last edited:
If we're trying to clean up the B rankings, can I suggest Breloom for A-? This guy has a lot going for him right now, being a very consistent answer to stall and balance and checking some really prominent mon like Rotom-W and Keldeo. He is the best user of Spore right now, which despite issues with Grass types is a huge asset to both itself and the teams it's normally found on, as is his ability to tear through Subs with Bullet Seed should you want that. It can run three completely different sets to great effect - it's versatility is not something to be overlooked or taken lightly, this thing can and will punish any mistakes. I'm not too sure what constitutes "above average" presence on the metagame and how it differs from "strong presence"(Megas Pinsir, Aerodactyl and Zam?) , but Breloom could conceivably fit the latter what with it's 7.36% usage - higher than some really well-respected A- or even A Rank mons(eg Starmie, Lopunny, Thundurus, even the newly S-Rank Altaria, amongst others). I have been seeing a lot of Breloom mentions on both these forums and Showdown, which is interesting to note. The rest of the A Rank definition fits it really quite nicely as well.

Obviously it has it's flaws, and they're significant, but they can be mitigated to a degree with the correct moves(Mach Punch for it's Speed; Rock Tomb for Talon). I do however think it's pros are huge in comparison, and since we're doing a clean-up of the B Ranks, I think Breloom, of all of them, is the most likely and deserving candidate for moving up.

Hi guys, hope nobody minds if i ask this, sorry if its been brought up before.

But i was looking at Zygarde and Garchomp today, one is C- and one is A and was recently debated about moving up to A+. I was mainly wondering what is the huge difference between the two that would mean a difference of two and a half tiers.

Stats-wise they are a bit different. The biggest difference i can see is that Garchomp is a bit more offensively orientated and Zygarde is a bit more defensively orientated, Garchomp also has the edge in speed but Zygarde isnt that all that far behind (102 vs 95). Movepools are a bit more varied. Edge definetly goes to Garchomp here as stealth rocks / swords dance and more options but Zygarde has a lot of good options too. Glare is pretty damn good and Coil is very strong also and has a priority in the form of Espeed. Garchomp can run quite a few sets, the most popular one of late seems to be the bulkier rocky helmet/rough skin combo which really hurts physical attackers along with stealth rock. Aura break is as far as im aware (correct me if im wrong) but completely and utterly useless which is a huge shame which i guess is one of the main factors in knocking it down the tiering.

Obviously im not debating that Zygarde is equal to Garchomp, i think Garchomp is a very good pokemon with a lot of potential utility. But i also think Zygarde is not so bad that it should be almost at the bottom of the tier list. It has okay bulk, attack is not low and can be easily boosted with either Dragon Dance (Which Garchomp does not have) or Coil and glare is a big selling point too. It even has access to block so i guess you could just sub + block + setup on a stall pokemon. Not sure if thats doable or doesnt count as gimmicky but its a possible set that could work.

So anyway to summarize, would someone mind just explaining real quick why Zygarde is ranked so very much lower than Garchomp (lower than shuckle lol) or is it just a case of having a useless aura and no stealth rocks?

One mon I feel should move up into B- rank, possibly even B rank is Slowking. Its assault vest set makes it a great counter to things like landorus, Mega metagross, keldeo, mega gardevoir, and even zard y if running power gem. Three of those mons i mentioned are s rank, (slowking also checks hyper voice mega altaria) and the ability to pivot in and out on them is really handy for balance teams. I could see its pursuit weakness preventing it from going to B, but B-rank seems good for Slowking IMO.

I also agree with moving down mega tyranitar and mandibuzz. Mega ttar isnt bad per se but its just horribly outclassed by Megas altaria, zard x, and gyarados as well as normal gyarados. Mandibuzz on the other hand is just plain bad IMO. It cant check much other than landorus therian and breloom because of its awkward typing.

Hi guys, hope nobody minds if i ask this, sorry if its been brought up before.

But i was looking at Zygarde and Garchomp today, one is C- and one is A and was recently debated about moving up to A+. I was mainly wondering what is the huge difference between the two that would mean a difference of two and a half tiers.

Stats-wise they are a bit different. The biggest difference i can see is that Garchomp is a bit more offensively orientated and Zygarde is a bit more defensively orientated, Garchomp also has the edge in speed but Zygarde isnt that all that far behind (102 vs 95). Movepools are a bit more varied. Edge definetly goes to Garchomp here as stealth rocks / swords dance and more options but Zygarde has a lot of good options too. Glare is pretty damn good and Coil is very strong also and has a priority in the form of Espeed. Garchomp can run quite a few sets, the most popular one of late seems to be the bulkier rocky helmet/rough skin combo which really hurts physical attackers along with stealth rock. Aura break is as far as im aware (correct me if im wrong) but completely and utterly useless which is a huge shame which i guess is one of the main factors in knocking it down the tiering.

Obviously im not debating that Zygarde is equal to Garchomp, i think Garchomp is a very good pokemon with a lot of potential utility. But i also think Zygarde is not so bad that it should be almost at the bottom of the tier list. It has okay bulk, attack is not low and can be easily boosted with either Dragon Dance (Which Garchomp does not have) or Coil and glare is a big selling point too. It even has access to block so i guess you could just sub + block + setup on a stall pokemon. Not sure if thats doable or doesnt count as gimmicky but its a possible set that could work.

So anyway to summarize, would someone mind just explaining real quick why Zygarde is ranked so very much lower than Garchomp (lower than shuckle lol) or is it just a case of having a useless aura and no stealth rocks?
To the best of my knowledge, zygarde is ranked so low because of its useless ability in the OU metagame compared to garchomps relatively decent one, its lack of a decent dragon stab (outrage makes you fairy bait), and its lower speed. 102 allows you to outspeed a few important pokes like manaphy, landorus-i, both charizards, and other base 100s, while 95 is outpaced by those. For those reasons, garchomp is generally seen as a better choice for right now.

Last edited:
Zygarde has access to Dragon Dance, which Garchomp does not, but it doesn't have access to swords dance. This usually makes it inferior to other dders such as Altaria, mega dos + normal gyarados, zard x, dragonite, even mega ttar. It's ability is also useless in OU. 95 base speed for 102 base speed is actually quite important. Garchomps base 102 allows it to outspeed the plethora of base 100 pokemon such as zard y, zard x, and mega gardevoir. Running a scarf set on garchomp is also nice as it allows it to revenge kill pokemon such as zard x after it's gotten up a dragon dance. Another thing is outspeeding Landorus-I, and taking it down with outrage if it's at ~70%, which can be achieved with priority or some switches into SR.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Rofl jesus christ Srn you're exaggerating Mandibuzz by a long shot hahaha. B+?!? (< _ >)

Half these things you mentioned are not even good checks in the context of the cores and playstyles associated with them. It gets gassed up as an M-Metagross check all the time when in practice it's an entirely different story. Mandibuzz NEEDS rocks off the fields in any real scenario where you're trying to use this as your M-Metagross check and dear god let's hope M-Metagross doesn't get that attack boost from Meteor Mash on the switch in. Yeah 1v1 if the player is ass then maybe you'll get lucky and "check half the meta" but Mandibuzz is so easy to take advantage of due to its linearity, SR weakness, and the fact it's basically a liability against the majority of fairy types in the tier. Also you spent 3/4 of the post nitpicking firehusky's post about zapdos, some meta-game stuff, something about your relation in SPL, and calling out on his case justifying it as an argument when it's just you rambling on and on about his post. His post might've been flawed as hell but what's really amusing is that you call him out, again, and then try to justify some ranking by once again exaggerating every single pro that is supposably associated with checking threats who beat you in the long run cause with that 1v1 set you have just become a liability to so many specially offensive wall-breakers. Mandibuzz might check some of the physically inclined meta-game but when the direction is putting more emphasis on special wall-breakers to bypass these physical walls, Mandibuzz being one of them primarily considering it's "checking half the meta", you can't be seriously telling me that this should be moving up in the ranking. That set alone you posted is a liability to that other half of the meta you conveniently forgot to mention and big surprise most of that is paired up with what Mandibuzz is suppose to be checking anyways so there goes that fantastic check on top of the inevitable rocks pressure that is put on Mandibuzz. Also I'm just baffled by this list you posted cause you're relying on the most beneficial of circumstances, full health mandibuzz, in the hopes that these are actually consistently checked by Mandibuzz the way you're describing it.

With that said don't give me that "oh it's in my nature to comment like this" like you did with your last call out on firehusky's Thundy-T post. You can address an argument without being a dick about it especially someone who's making an effort and trying to learn about the meta. It's already hard enough for new comers to get into the sub-forums I would expect better from a former pre-contributor of all people to set an example of not throwing people under the bus so chill out with your attitude, stop cherry picking irrelevant points, and get a grip of your ego.
All right, by no means did I really mean to be a dick about stuff, I just want to make my stance clear.
Half these things you mentioned are not even good checks in the context of the cores and playstyles associated with them.
That set alone you posted is a liability to that other half of the meta you conveniently forgot to mention and big surprise most of that is paired up with what Mandibuzz is suppose to be checking anyways so there goes that fantastic check on top of the inevitable rocks pressure that is put on Mandibuzz.
So if mandibuzz alone isn't handling the partners of the mons it checks (free switch-in to keldeo, common mmeta partner) then just pair mandibuzz with pokemon that handle those, like a slowbro. There's no one pokemon that's gonna be handling cores of pokemon, I don't expect there to be, I never said mandibuzz was such a pokemon, and I don't know why you think I did.
"Conventiently forgot to mention?" Jee I don't think i should have to, no one mon is going to be handling everything. If mandibuzz has trouble with the partners of the mons it checks, then just pair it up with mons that beat them. This is basic synergy, and a natural through a natural teambuilding process your team will emerge fine.

It gets gassed up as an M-Metagross check all the time when in practice it's an entirely different story. Mandibuzz NEEDS rocks off the fields in any real scenario where you're trying to use this as your M-Metagross check and dear god let's hope M-Metagross doesn't get that attack boost from Meteor Mash on the switch in.
Dude. Every SR weak defensive mon needs rocks off the field, that much is kinda obvious. Does that invalidate bulky char-x, mandibuzz, zapdos, Bulky talon, bulky dnite, restalk gyara, or togekiss? Just because these mons are weak to rocks, does that mean they're totally useless defensively? You seem to act like they do; they obviously need hazard support in order to do their job lol.

besides, name me one fucking mon that can seriously take on mmeta on the switch-in after a meteor mash boost lol. Thats just unreasonable to assume. Seriously, i'm not asking for a core of mons because plenty of those exist and i'm well aware cores of mons are what beats mmeta, not a single one (cept mzor), but tell me what one fucking mon is handling mmeta like its nothing after mmash boost? It's unreasonable to expect mandibuzz, much less fucking anything, to do so.

Why are you pretending like i said mandibuzz was a counter to mmeta anyway? I said its a freaking check! A CHECK!!! I sure hope I don't have to teach the moderator of teh OU viability thread this, but do you know what the difference between a counter and a check is? A counter can handle the target switching in no matter what, and a check can beat it 1v1 while usually being able to switch into atleast 1 move of its target. THAT"S EXACTLY WHAT MANDIBUZZ DOES, ROCKS OR NOT. I'm not trying to sell that mandibuzz is a counter, so it'd be nice if you'd stop overreacting about that lol.

Yeah 1v1 if the player is ass then maybe you'll get lucky and "check half the meta" but Mandibuzz is so easy to take advantage of due to its linearity, SR weakness, and the fact it's basically a liability against the majority of fairy types in the tier.
Whats wrong with being linear? Did that stop mega pinsir from being A+ and being nominated for S several times? Did that stop mega medicham from clicking HJK and murdering most of the tier? Of course not, it may be easy to take advantage of by certain pokemon, but that's what partners are there for. You don't need to be able to do multiple things to be a good mon, all you need to be able to do is one job very well. And that's what mandibuzz does, CHECKS (just so you don't overreact again), and i repeat, CHECKS, several prominent physical attackers.
I already covered its SR weakness.

And the fact that it's "basically a liability against the majority of fairy types in the tier"?
Well duh, that goes for any dark type not named bisharp. I wonder why sableye is so high up in the viability list!
Ferrothorn and Scizor are "basically a liability against the majority of fire types in the tier," jee, why aren't those B?
Being vulnerable to a type doesn't affect gameplay as much as you think it does, it's hardly a serious flaw to consider. It's simply another weakness you need to cover in teambuilding, like you should be doing anyway. Ferrothorn sucks against fire, its a liability against them, so just pair it up with a keldeo or slowbro or something! Likewise, just pair up mandibuzz with a jirachi or scizor and you're fucking fine.
If anything, you're the one exaggerating its weaknesses

Also you spent 3/4 of the post nitpicking firehusky's post about zapdos, some meta-game stuff, something about your relation in SPL, and calling out on his case justifying it as an argument when it's just you rambling on and on about his post.
"some meta-game stuff?"
That was the primary argument some people like Celticpride (whose post i also nitpicked, i'm not picking on a nigga for the fun of it) were using to drop mandibuzz, and i was politely addressing it!
"Something about your relation in SPL?"
What?
I posted a relevant replay to answer to stalls supposed lack of need for another way of removing hazards, why is it that the little side-comment i made the part that you take away? I'd like to ask you to "stop cherry picking irrelevant points" as well pal.

After i "rambled on and on" about his post (I like to answer to every sentence of a post i'm answering because I wouldn't want to be a cherrypicker), I went on to present my actual case for raising mandibuzz

His post might've been flawed as hell but what's really amusing is that you call him out, again, and then try to justify some ranking by once again exaggerating every single pro that is supposably associated with checking threats who beat you in the long run cause with that 1v1 set you have just become a liability to so many specially offensive wall-breakers.
Dude I'm answering a recent post as a supplement to try and make a case for raising mandibuzz, why do you think i'm picking on the guy? It wouldn't matter who made that post, I would've "called him out" and nitpicked his post as a part of trying to raise mandibuzz; just like I did with thundy-t. It doesn't matter to me who makes the post, its the content of the post that counts.

firehusky , I realize that i've been harsh in my nitpicking but understand i'm harsh in my nitpicking in general, and I have no hard feelings on you. I hope you don't have any of those on me either. If you felt like you were being thrown under the bus, I sincerely apologize. Understand that I have no intention to do so, I just like to swear. I'm not a good teacher and I'm pretty rough when I convey my ideas. We all gotta start somewhere :]

EDIT: I mean look at what he posted just above right now. Everything he said was correct and relevant, am I going to "be a dick" and call him out for the fun of it? Of course not, there's nothing to nitpick. The man just politely refuted an argument. I got nothing against the guy...

Mandibuzz might check some of the physically inclined meta-game but when the direction is putting more emphasis on special wall-breakers to bypass these physical walls, Mandibuzz being one of them primarily considering it's "checking half the meta", you can't be seriously telling me that this should be moving up in the ranking.
My reason for moving mandibuzz up was because I believed it's been lower than it should be from the start, regardless of what direction the meta has taken. Besides, even if the meta is putting more emphasis on special wall breakers, mandi can just as easily go fully specially defensive and sacrifice its ability to check physical shit to now check special shit:

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Mandibuzz: 152-179 (35.9 - 42.3%) -- 14.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 121-144 (37.9 - 45.1%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Mandibuzz: 152-179 (35.9 - 42.3%) -- 14.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 198-234 (76.4 - 90.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Jee so much for being linear.
So much for being liable to special wallbreakers.
So much for being totally neutered from rocks.
So much for me giving mandibuzz the optimal conditions.
Give me another pokemon that can reliably check both lando-i and gengar (WITH ROCKS UP) at the same time. If you think the meta is putting SUCH a big emphasis on special attackers all of a sudden so much that its anti-physical prowess is Soooooo irrelevant then go ahead and make mandibuzz specially defensive.
The mixed spread i gave earlier is not bad at beating shit 1v1, but if you honestly think special wallbreakers are such a problem then go ahead and go all out sdef.

Also I'm just baffled by this list you posted cause you're relying on the most beneficial of circumstances, full health mandibuzz, in the hopes that these are actually consistently checked by Mandibuzz the way you're describing it.
Full health mandibuzz lmao
Is it really that weird to showcase the defensive capabilities of a pokemon at full health?
Am I going to show off that specially defensive jirachi ISN"T a counter to mega diancie because it took 20% prior damage? Would you look at a team with defensive lando-t and then say that its weak to Mega pinsir because lando-t loses with 20% prior damge?
OF course not lol you assume a pokemon is at full health to fucking check a mon. You don't look at mega venu, pretend its 40%, watch it die to keldeo's specs scalds on the switch-in, and then scream that mvenu isn't a good keldeo check on the OU viability thread.

Not to mention that mandibuzz doesn't even necessarily NEED to consistently check the mons it does, Foul Play does a solid chunk of damage to most of what its checking, even a few resists like bisharp. By the time its dead, so is the mon its checking. That's part of what makes mandibuzz so nice, its not that passive at all. If you were as passive as alomo, staying alive would be more of a concern, but as long as mandi can live a hit and foul play back once or twice its more or less done its job.

Well, seems like i'm either "cherrypicking irrelevant points" or "rambling on and on" about whatever I do, so I hope that giving a thorough reply doesnt' score me a shiny infraction from a moderator of a pokemon website with 3 whole badges :O

Last edited:
So if mandibuzz alone isn't handling the partners of the mons it checks (free switch-in to keldeo, common mmeta partner) then just pair mandibuzz with pokemon that handle those, like a slowbro.
Here's the thing though, Mandi has a very real option of running Toxic over Taunt, precisely for that reason of hitting things like Keldeo that don't care about Foul Play. If you Toxic a Keldeo, you've virtually gone 6-5 already and their Meta-Keld core has just died (every team needs a Keldeo switch-in by default, so it's assumed).

Dude. Every SR weak defensive mon needs rocks off the field, that much is kinda obvious. Does that invalidate bulky char-x, mandibuzz, zapdos, Bulky talon, bulky dnite, restalk gyara, or togekiss? Just because these mons are weak to rocks, does that mean they're totally useless defensively? You seem to act like they do; they obviously need hazard support in order to do their job lol.
Not to mention Mandi can keep rocks off the field for herself against any team relying on any of Lando, Garchomp, Hippo, Skarm, and many others as well, so unlike mons like Bulky Talon, Char-X, etc, Mandi doesn't even always need external hazard support to function.

besides, name me one fucking mon that can seriously take on mmeta on the switch-in after a meteor mash boost lol. Thats just unreasonable to assume. Seriously, i'm not asking for a core of mons because plenty of those exist and i'm well aware cores of mons are what beats mmeta, not a single one (cept mzor), but tell me what one fucking mon is handling mmeta like its nothing after mmash boost? It's unreasonable to expect mandibuzz, much less fucking anything, to do so.
Well actually, you know what the funny thing is? Mandibuzz does exactly that, and is literally the only mon in the game that can take a Mash followed by a +1 Mash, and then KO back:

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mandibuzz: 150-177 (35.3 - 41.7%) -- 80.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mandibuzz: 223-264 (52.5 - 62.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 396-468 (131.5 - 155.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even with 2 maximum rolls, it still doesn't kill after lefties.

Why are you pretending like i said mandibuzz was a counter to mmeta anyway? I said its a freaking check! A CHECK!!! I sure hope I don't have to teach the moderator of teh OU viability thread this, but do you know what the difference between a counter and a check is? A counter can handle the target switching in no matter what, and a check can beat it 1v1 while usually being able to switch into atleast 1 move of its target. THAT"S EXACTLY WHAT MANDIBUZZ DOES, ROCKS OR NOT. I'm not trying to sell that mandibuzz is a counter, so it'd be nice if you'd stop overreacting about that lol.
But it is a counter, especially without rocks on the field, and we've established that rocks are something that Mandi can often handle herself, and she can even be paired with another remover like Tenta or bulky Starmie to handle the other rock setters like Heatran.

And the fact that it's "basically a liability against the majority of fairy types in the tier"?
Well duh, that goes for any dark type not named bisharp. I wonder why sableye is so high up in the viability list!
Ferrothorn and Scizor are "basically a liability against the majority of fire types in the tier," jee, why aren't those B?
And again, there's the fact that Toxic messes up Unaware Clef, Azumaril, Gardevoir, Altaria and others, so it's not a total liability against them at all and is in fact a pretty solid way of actually being able to inflict status on those annoying mons and wear them down since they always think they can come in free of charge.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
mmm, so B and B- ranks, ok

Magneton to C+ rank: I agree it should drop, but by no means lower than this right now. Its bulkier version in Magnezone certainly got less prevalent due to steel trapping not being so relevant at the moment with most common playstyles. Magneton suffering from the same prediction reliancy like Magnezone so it should drop the same amount of ranks than magnezone to be honest. The power difference is pretty insignificant to be honest (considering for both, scarf work the best atm) and being able to outspeed plenty of dangerous mons and having a chance against them like +1 M-Altaria, talonflame, starmie and tornadus-therian is pretty huge for some forms of offense that cant afford much else but if magnezone dropped, magneton should certainly drop.

Tyrantrum to B- rank: This guy can certainly move up. Banded and rock polish sets are pretty amazing thanks to the raw power of a STAB 150 bp move with a pretty nice offensive type with no recoil thanks to rock head is certainly effective enough to guarantee a rise among the B- ranks at least imo. This mon is certainly nice to punch holes with a choice band making plenty of resists fearing to switch and being a decent mid to late-game cleaner with powerful STAB moves (you would pressing head smash most of the time). B- seems fair.

M-Pidgeot to B- rank: I certainly agree with this moving up. The 3 attacks + U-turn set is certainly nice but there is nothing particularly special about it but the stallbreaker set with sub/refresh, work up, roost, hurricane is a pretty fantastic set and extremely effective with support like spikestacking for example. M-Pidgeot pressures teams with an impressive 110 bp flying STAB move that it wont miss no matter what with a remarkably annoying 30% confuse rate. Combine that with spikestacking and the pressure many hazards can provide to even the stuff that can stomach M-Pidgeot and you got a fantastic win condition. Certainly the most effective mon in C+ rank and I feel it needs to rise at least to B- thanks to this particular set (with a wonky boosting move but hey, it works). B- seems fair as well.

A general reworking of the B to C ranks is pretty important, so glad the general attention is among this cause right now some stuff may go up or go down but some stuff seems sketchy when "certain mons in upper ranks are better than lower rank to drop to the lower rank".

Just pointing out the noms that stand out the most, to me at least.

Nominating Seismitoad to B-

Seismitoad is a great check to Pokemon to many water-type attackers such as specs / scarf keldeo (stops it from spamming scald which is quite annoying) and crocune thanks to water absorb, while also being able to check most offensive electric-types such as thundurus, mega manectric, and raikou. Defensive sets usually run SR / scald / earthquake / knock off, which is a decent support 'mon, being able to check the aforementioned Pokemon while also being able to knock off items, spread burns with scald or poison with toxic, and set up stealth rock. It's typing leaves it with 2 immunities, and only one 4x weakness to grass-type moves. It's bulk also isn't too shabby, sitting at 105 / 75 / 75. Offensive swift swim sets also have some merit, replacing mega swampert (in case your rain mega is mega heracross or mega scizor or whatever) as a rain sweeper with a thunder wave immunity, while also hitting decently hard under rain with LO boosted hydro pumps. Deserves to move up imo.

Nominating Seismitoad to B-

Seismitoad is a great check to Pokemon to many water-type attackers such as specs / scarf keldeo (stops it from spamming scald which is quite annoying) and crocune thanks to water absorb, while also being able to check most offensive electric-types such as thundurus, mega manectric, and raikou. Defensive sets usually run SR / scald / earthquake / knock off, which is a decent support 'mon, being able to check the aforementioned Pokemon while also being able to knock off items, spread burns with scald or poison with toxic, and set up stealth rock. It's typing leaves it with 2 immunities, and only one 4x weakness to grass-type moves. It's bulk also isn't too shabby, sitting at 105 / 75 / 75. Offensive swift swim sets also have some merit, replacing mega swampert (in case your rain mega is mega heracross or mega scizor or whatever) as a rain sweeper with a thunder wave immunity, while also hitting decently hard under rain with LO boosted hydro pumps. Deserves to move up imo.
There are much better swift swimmers to use than Seismitoad, so if it moves up, it should be for its SR set. Nonetheless, I fully support this.

Seismitoad has a niche as swift swimmer on rain teams thanks to it's ground typing which gives it an immunity to prankster t-wave, so unlike other swift swimmers such as kabutops and kingdra, its sweep will not get cut short by prankster t-wave from mons such as thundurus and klefki.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I support Seismitoad to B-, taking into account the incredibly utility it provides. It sets itself apart from Gastrodon and Quagsire because of Stealth Rock and Knock Off, and is a great check to many things like Keldeo, non-GK Mega Metagross, Mega Manectric etc.
I was the one who brought it up, but seeing as it gained a decent amount of support, Reuniclus to B-/C+ sounds like a decent stretch.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i dont really agree with a lot of the things said here

viability council decided that a rank is perfect for garchomp, and that its "new" rh bulky set is not necessarily a reason for it to increase in viability from its sash/lum sets, but rather an adaptation to the ORAS metagame in an attempt to still be as viable as it once was late xy.
the problem i have with this argument is that chomp was A+ till about mid-november (seen here), so if you guys truly believe that the rh set is chomps attempt to be just as viable as it was in late xy, then it only makes sense for it to be back where it was for 90% of gen 6. it was only right before oras that chomp dropped, and that was becauuse HOs viability plummeted with all the fat teams popping up.

when looking at A+ rank, garchomp essentially doesn't match up to the metagame defining pokemon that are in said rank.
i dont really agree. garchomp is just as, if not more viable than mons like azu, bisharp, and thundurus. all these mons are exceptional at what they do, and garchomp falls right in line with them, whether it be the rh set or the lum sd set. not gonna go in depth in what they do cuz ive already done that, but both of those sets are really unparalleled in what they actually do.

when deciding what garchomp set to use (assuming you want lead with rocks, most relevant and viable way to use it), the player needs to decide whether you want the pkmn to either immediately pressure the opposing team, or provide a defensive utility with defensive rh. the versatility it has is a double edged sword in that you sacrifice one to get the other, and each matchup will benefit from something different.
this isnt really an argument for anything lol. look at talonflame, an A+ mon that can also go offensive or defensive. the wisp spdef set fucks over its counters and counters fairies, but its attacks are piss weak. likewise, offensive sd / band nuke things but have really bad bulk. granted, talon can perform a defensive booster set and alleviate the negatives of both for somewhat, but it still has its own issues. garchomp is in the same boat as talon. it cant wall shit with its SD set, but its great at breaking down walls and getting up rocks. and the rh set is exceptional at taking on the physically based meta we have, checking top tier threats such as mega scizor, talonflame, ttar, and most importantly, mega metagross. its not fair to say that using one over the other has an opportunity cost because you wouldnt use both on the same team anyways.

mainly what we all decided is that the pokemon in a+ are philosophically meta-defining and extreme forces in the metagame, and the role that garchomp currently plays is far from up to snuff of what we define as such :3
Code:
Rnk | Pokemon              | Use | Use %  | Win %  
1  | Keldeo              | 40  | 29%    | 45%
2  | Ferrothorn          | 35  | 25%    | 63%
3  | Clefable            | 34  | 25%    | 56%
4  | Latios              | 33  | 24%    | 55%
4  | Tyranitar            | 33  | 24%    | 55%
6  | Landorus-Therian    | 27  | 20%    | 37%
7  | Gliscor              | 26  | 19%    | 46%
7  | Metagross            | 26  | 19%    | 46%
7  | Latias              | 26  | 19%    | 58%
10  | Garchomp            | 24  | 17%    | 54%
10  | Heatran              | 24  | 17%    | 46%
apologies for the fucked up formatting, but garchomp is #10 in spl usage. i mean, im not in spl, but theres probably a reason why garchomp is used so much and why it has so much success. imo, its because garchomp is a metagame defining pokemon because why else would the top players use it so much? its not fair to say that its "far from up to snuff of what we define as such :3" when garchomp has consistently seen such high usage and a good success rate with no signs of it slowing down. garchomp, as of late, has seen more usage than other A+ mons like talonflame, azu, thundy, and gengar, as well as megas i wont list b/c opportunity cost and stuff (note: I am NOT saying chomp is better than them). ik the argument usage =/= viability always pops up, but when the best of the best are using something, its because they are using the best mons for the job, and given garchomps high usage, its pretty clear that its one of, if not the best mon for the job it does. chomp being only in A simply doesnt make sense to me, and the reasoning provided for it simply was not convincing.

Last edited:
as a note id just like to say using winrate as an argument is really shaky as it's not exactly a reliable way of determining anything when it isnt something specific to an individual pokemon that determines whether a game would be won or lost, tbh it's moreso just an "interesting" statistic that has no weight in any real argument.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
as a note id just like to say using winrate as an argument is really shaky as it's not exactly a reliable way of determining anything when it isnt something specific to an individual pokemon that determines whether a game would be won or lost, tbh it's moreso just an "interesting" statistic that has no weight in any real argument.
fair enough i guess, ill edit that out

i dont really agree with a lot of the things said here

the problem i have with this argument is that chomp was A+ till about mid-november (seen here), so if you guys truly believe that the rh set is chomps attempt to be just as viable as it was in late xy, then it only makes sense for it to be back where it was for 90% of gen 6. it was only right before oras that chomp dropped, and that was becauuse HOs viability plummeted with all the fat teams popping up.

i dont really agree. garchomp is just as, if not more viable than mons like azu, bisharp, and thundurus. all these mons are exceptional at what they do, and garchomp falls right in line with them, whether it be the rh set or the lum sd set. not gonna go in depth in what they do cuz ive already done that, but both of those sets are really unparalleled in what they actually do.

this isnt really an argument for anything lol. look at talonflame, an A+ mon that can also go offensive or defensive. the wisp spdef set fucks over its counters and counters fairies, but its attacks are piss weak. likewise, offensive sd / band nuke things but have really bad bulk. granted, talon can perform a defensive booster set and alleviate the negatives of both for somewhat, but it still has its own issues. garchomp is in the same boat as talon. it cant wall shit with its SD set, but its great at breaking down walls and getting up rocks. and the rh set is exceptional at taking on the physically based meta we have, checking top tier threats such as mega scizor, talonflame, ttar, and most importantly, mega metagross. its not fair to say that using one over the other has an opportunity cost because you wouldnt use both on the same team anyways.

Code:
Rnk | Pokemon              | Use | Use %  | Win % 
1  | Keldeo              | 40  | 29%    | 45%
2  | Ferrothorn          | 35  | 25%    | 63%
3  | Clefable            | 34  | 25%    | 56%
4  | Latios              | 33  | 24%    | 55%
4  | Tyranitar            | 33  | 24%    | 55%
6  | Landorus-Therian    | 27  | 20%    | 37%
7  | Gliscor              | 26  | 19%    | 46%
7  | Metagross            | 26  | 19%    | 46%
7  | Latias              | 26  | 19%    | 58%
10  | Garchomp            | 24  | 17%    | 54%
10  | Heatran              | 24  | 17%    | 46%
apologies for the fucked up formatting, but garchomp is #10 in spl usage. i mean, im not in spl, but theres probably a reason why garchomp is used so much and why it has so much success. imo, its because garchomp is a metagame defining pokemon because why else would the top players use it so much? its not fair to say that its "far from up to snuff of what we define as such :3" when garchomp has consistently seen such high usage and a good success rate with no signs of it slowing down. garchomp, as of late, has seen more usage than other A+ mons like talonflame, azu, thundy, and gengar, as well as megas i wont list b/c opportunity cost and stuff (note: I am NOT saying chomp is better than them). ik the argument usage =/= viability always pops up, but when the best of the best are using something, its because they are using the best mons for the job, and given garchomps high usage, its pretty clear that its one of, if not the best mon for the job it does. chomp being only in A simply doesnt make sense to me, and the reasoning provided for it simply was not convincing.
Garchomp in A+ Rank during XY was a stretch and that is no secret. It was on a very slim slate towards being A+ back then.

I disagree with Henry's notion that Garchomp is trying to be as good as it was in late XY as well. Garchomp is actually a lot better than it was then. Then, the metagame was more offensively-based, and Garchomp had severe issues warranting a team slot when numerous Pokemon did almost of its roles better. ORAS is a lot kinder to Garchomp, as with Greninja gone, along with the transition to bulkier builds, Garchomp is able to do more work now than it could in late XY. Henry can you at least explain the notion on how Garchomp was good in late XY, because Garchomp really did not like metagame trends during late XY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)