Land of the Free, not really though

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
http://www.kare11.com/story/news/20...ops-jump-out-and-join-football-game/24956459/

This article caught my eye for a couple of reasons... The first thing that sticks out is that these officers are actually involving themselves in the community positively. Sure it was nice for them to play some ball with the kids. Kudos.

Yet, I find it quite disturbing that this is news. Is America truly That desperate to shine a positive light on those which are supposedly there to serve and protect?

The mothers subtle thoughts as she looked on from her balcony says it all.

On one hand, I'm happy to see positive involvement in the community by the police. On the other hand, it's a worry that it's news.

Here in Australia a video of a policeman getting involved in a game of street cricket was semi-news, but that's partly because you're half expecting them to shut such a game down.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
On one hand, I'm happy to see positive involvement in the community by the police. On the other hand, it's a worry that it's news.

Here in Australia a video of a policeman getting involved in a game of street cricket was semi-news, but that's partly because you're half expecting them to shut such a game down.
This is blatant propaganda.
Positive acts by law enforcement officers shouldn't be treated like anything special or news worthy.

When acts like this become news worthy we have a serious problem.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
most cops are good people, the reason we occasionally see these stories is because if you present only stories of police brutality then availability bias is going to make for some bad cop-citizen relations, like how only hearing about planes when they crash makes people afraid to fly

also the main reason we see them is bc people will click them but

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Positive acts by law enforcement officers shouldn't be treated like anything special or news worthy.

It boggles my mind that the first thing that comes to mind is propaganda and some weird systematic desperation/conspiracy/something-- as if news only exists to push someone's agenda.

News flash-- media primarily exists as for profit business. Content like this gets air in hopes it'll draw traffic (and therefore marketing dollars).

We live in an era of high turn-over high-accessibility dynamic content where a hamster can get 300 million views on YouTube (and rake in a pretty penny in paid advertising $$s).

Why is it surprising to you that weird/small fry stories like this get told and proliferated? Or have you just been living under a rock since before the invention of the internet?

What era's logic are you thinking from?

What the fuck, I could swear I saw someone running around kicking an actual football...

I guess these are the side-effects of allnighters :/
You lost me... No one runs AND kicks an actual football.

Last edited:

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
It boggles my mind that the first thing that comes to mind is propaganda and some weird systematic desperation/conspiracy/something-- as if news only exists to push someone's agenda.

News flash-- media primarily exists as for profit business. Content like this gets air in hopes it'll draw traffic (and therefore marketing dollars).

We live in an era of high turn-over high-accessibility dynamic content where a hamster can get 300 million views on YouTube (and rake in a pretty penny in paid advertising $$s).

Why is it surprising to you that weird/small fry stories like this get told and proliferated? Or have you just been living under a rock since before the invention of the internet?

What era's logic are you thinking from?

You lost me... No one runs AND kicks an actual football.
The agenda is obviously to improve the public opinion about law enforcement officers. I don't know how many of you are aware but law enforcement in America kills citizens at a rate of 70x more than other first world countries...Including China.

Let that sink in. Law enforcement in the US killed 92 times more people during 2014 than a country with nearly 1.4 billion people.

They even kill our dogs over here-Because they feel like it. As demonstrated here:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The agenda is obviously to improve the public opinion about law enforcement officers. I don't know how many of you are aware but law enforcement in America kills citizens at a rate of 70x more than other first world countries...Including China.

Let that sink in. Law enforcement in the US killed 92 times more people during 2014 than a country with nearly 1.4 billion people.

They even kill our dogs over here-Because they feel like it. As demonstrated here:
Why did you quote my post if you didn't read it?

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Why did you quote my post if you didn't read it?
I did read it and it seemed like you were poking fun at me and also seemed like you didn't take the post seriously.
Simple misunderstanding.
I never said it was surprising I said it was disturbing. I just find the whole situation very indicative of the direction my country and possibly the entire world is headed.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I did read it and it seemed like you were poking fun at me and also seemed like you didn't take the post seriously.
Simple misunderstanding.
I never said it was surprising I said it was disturbing. I just find the whole situation very indicative of the direction my country and possibly the entire world is headed.
Rather than poking fun at you, I was pointing out how misconstrued your points were--

Because causation behind the creation of this type of media has nothing to do with this:

Yet, I find it quite disturbing that this is news. Is America truly That desperate to shine a positive light on those which are supposedly there to serve and protect?

And has everything to do with simple free market dynamics-- specifically the consumer behavior of internet viewers.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Rather than poking fun at you, I was pointing out how misconstrued your points were--

Because causation behind the creation of this type of media has nothing to do with this:

And has everything to do with simple free market dynamics-- specifically the consumer behavior of internet viewers.
How is such a thing as a "free market" even a term. "Free Market" two words that don't make sense.

It is paradoxical to me how the point of police brutality is being undermined with all of these politics you are spewing. If you are trying to tell me that the corporate sponsored media is just running stories such as this for the purpose of the consumer's delight, then I definitely am not buying that idea.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
How is such a thing as a "free market" even a term. "Free Market" two words that don't make sense.

It is paradoxical to me how the point of police brutality is being undermined with all of these politics you are spewing.
Politics spewing?
Now I know you didn't read my post-- or at least lack the ability to comprehend it since I didn't make a single political statement. I only gave economic/market function explanations.

I didn't say anything about the right or wrong of police brutality (it's wrong obviously); I didn't even make an opinion statement about capitalism (however, capitalism ftw btw).

Your flawed misinterpretation of my post is almost as bad as your wild perversion of interpreting this article.
If you are trying to tell me that the corporate sponsored media is just running stories such as this for the purpose of the consumer's delight, then I definitely am not buying that idea.
Supply: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_(economics)
Demand: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand

Edit: (if it wasn't obvious, yes I am trolling you-- since I can't take this thread at all srsly)

Last edited:

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
So, you are telling me that trying to push your theory that this has everything to do with economics and nothing to do with mass manipulation of public opinion is not the spewing of politics?

You clearly disagree with me and that is fine, but you cannot say that the statement you make defending your opinion is not informal politics. Well you can say it-but that wouldn't make it true.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Indeed, it is actually by avoiding 'the news' that one ceases to be troubled by propaganda. It remains contentious, then, where one finds 'news', as it is not agreed, I think, that propaganda is actually being avoided systematically in any quarter. Thus, it turns out that a disputed conception of propaganda points to the problem. If nothing is describable, then nothing is falsifiable.

Of course there is no conspiracy, and a causal explanation for these events (that for a certain perspective are the effect of a conspiracy) might in no way appeal to the existence of such a conspiracy. Indeed, intention has little to do with it, at least if one takes for granted the Asch paradigm. Uncritical appropriation, habit, is opposite of conspiracy. And actually, contemporary fantasies maintain that there is a conspiracy, because that would actually make the indication of 'resolutions' so much more expedient. Wouldn't it be so nice to hold individuals accountable for "everyones'" failure? Indeed it is mass manipulation only in the sense that the 'mass' manipulates 'itself', but everyone 'knows' this already.

At this point it would be appropriate to point out that 'Neocolonialism' has never referred to a conspiracy anymore than 'globalization' has. The neologism 'neocolonialism' implies repetition, habit, and has nothing to do with an intention, though it is obviously intentional under certain descriptions (intentions, as explanations, exist only under descriptions after all).

Indeed, such irony is what Jonathan Swift's 'modest proposal' trades on for its satirical effect: of course no one intentionally eats children, but the proposal remains 'modest' nonetheless because there exists a sense (a description) under which the children of the working class in industrializing Britain were cannibalized (used as a fuel), and excreted (exiled to colonies and conscripted).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)