Inheritance [Prime Council Elected]

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
If he runs Toxic, he could simply use it and spam toxic/shadow ball and wait for Chansey to kill itself.
Ture, but if Chansey has decided to inherit from MEGA Sableye, it gets the same moves, but gets Magic Bounce instead. Probably not as good as Prankster, but then again, there are other Magic Bouncers who could switch in. I guess you would just need good scouting in this scenario.

Ture, but if Chansey has decided to inherit from MEGA Sableye, it gets the same moves, but gets Magic Bounce instead. Probably not as good as Prankster, but then again, there are other Magic Bouncers who could switch in. I guess you would just need good scouting in this scenario.
Or substitute since chanse can't do anything to get past that if you're using toxic.

Since chansey cannot hit it for real damage, substitute is an easy option to consistently take it out. Chansey is unable to break subs with seismic toss because chandelure is ghost type, and chans really can't do anything back but heal off damage. Then again, this thing could run taunt as well. Taunt Sub with dual stabs could be deadly, even though it lacks the coverage earth power grants. Its resists aren't too common, however.
I'd just like to point out that since Chansey is probably inheriting from sableye, it's not going to use seismic toss, but night shade/knock off.

So I theory monned an intresting wall breaker, dunno if anyone has done this before;

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spa / (248 HP / 8 def or tweak otherwise)
Modest Nature
- Fireblast
- shadow ball
- EarthPower / Tbolt / FocusBlast
_ Tbolt / Sub / Toxic / Super Fang / FocusBlast

Basicly inheriting from nidoking to gain both, stab shadow ball and fireblast with sheer force boosts.
Now, it doesnt take a genious to figure out that this thing hits like a truck and has coverage to annihilate about everything.
Unfortunantly it has one problem that can hinder it; It can't get past chansey if it's 4hp/252 spdef varitation (HP + Def variants have 80% 2OHKO with focus blast, but then again >focus hit), but, chansey's in general can't do anything to it either unless it runs toxic.
But hey, otherwise this thing could potentially be a wrecking ball to take out a wall for your other sweepers.
sticky web seems like a good combo for this set :3

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I'd just like to point out that since Chansey is probably inheriting from sableye, it's not going to use seismic toss, but night shade/knock off.
Ive actually seen a lot more seismic toss than anything else, but I guess it would be smarter

So I thought I could share this thing from my shenigans, again not sure if anyone has done this yet but;

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 248 HP / (60 Def / 200 SpD or tweak accordingly)
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Volt Switch / U turn
- Air Slash
- Encore / Filler

Inheriting from Emolga lets you get good recovery, pivoting + a stab move with bit of support and immunity to 4x weakness.
Cause Mantine pretty much mirrors skarmory specially and has a nice typing, now with immunity to its 4x weakness, this might proof handy for some defensive needs.
Shame for the rock weakness tho

So I thought I could share this thing from my shenigans, again not sure if anyone has done this yet but;

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 248 HP / (60 Def / 200 SpD or tweak accordingly)
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Volt Switch / U turn
- Air Slash
- Encore / Filler

Inheriting from Emolga lets you get good recovery, pivoting + a stab move with bit of support and immunity to 4x weakness.
Cause Mantine pretty much mirrors Skarmory specially and has a nice typing, now with immunity to its 4x weakness, this might proof handy for some defensive needs.
Shame for the rock weakness tho
I think baton pass would work better in the 2nd slot, allowing you to pivot out reliably (for example volt switch wont work on ground types and both are stopped by protect, although this isn't really a big issue) and pass any speed boosts you have acquired via motor drive. If you choose to run BP, then substitute may be a good fit somewhere. Emolga Mantine does have other viable options to consider such as knock off, tailwind, taunt, light screen, and agility (for BP shenanigans :3).

This was touched on briefly upthread, and I've gathered that I'm far from the first person to run this, but I should point out that Tyranitar inheriting from Mega Absol can run:

Tyranitar @ Dread Plate/Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe OR 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe OR some custom spread
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Not only does Tyranitar fuck with a lot of defensive Pokemon like any Magic Bounce user does, but said defensive Pokemon tend to be the only things that can actually wall it at +2 or even +1. Obviously loses to Fighting-types, which can take a Sucker Punch and decimate it back, or miscellaneous unawares that can take a hit and do something to it in return, or -ate Espeed after a Superpower.

Oh, and it beats non-Transform Chansey, and Transform Chansey with an Attack boost.

I think baton pass would work better in the 2nd slot, allowing you to pivot out reliably (for example volt switch wont work on ground types and both are stopped by protect, although this isn't really a big issue) and pass any speed boosts you have acquired via motor drive. If you choose to run BP, then substitute may be a good fit somewhere. Emolga Mantine does have other viable options to consider such as knock off, tailwind, taunt, light screen, and agility (for BP shenanigans :3).
Oh I missed baton pass completely! It's definatly a very viable option and I think emolga also gets charge beam so I think there could be a bit more of a set potential here too with mantines bulk.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, this will probably sound dumb, but how about we unban Shedinja but make it so it cant inherit anything with sturdy?
We're not going to start with complex bans. Then I could say Keldeo can't inherit from Kyogre and Blastoise Mega as well. Or Slaking inheriting from anything that doesn't have a terrible ability. If you want a better explanation I know Eevee General can back me up on this one.
That's it basically.

Hey, so I was looking for a powerful special priority user, and I whipped this up:

Scarf? (Meloetta) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Nature Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball
- Memento / Switcheroo

This set inherits Prankster + Nature Power from Whimsicott. An 80BP Specs STAB move off of 128 Special Attack deals heavy damage to most neutral targets, and tends to catch people off-guard. Shadow Ball and HP Fighting round off its coverage, hitting Ghosts and Rock/Steel types, respectively. Switcheroo lets Meloetta mess up a wall, at the price of making its damage output pretty unremarkable, while Memento lets you give a member of your team a chance to set up. The EVs allow it to outspeed 252+ base-70s, which I guess is just Bisharp really -- the speed is still nice to outspeed things that try to shore up a low Speed with priority. I use it over Porygon-Z because it's bulkier and very nearly as strong, and less strongly associated with powerful attacks. Plus, you know, Mach Punch neutrality.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/customgame-220324822 < Meloetta revenging a Conkeldurr, plowing through a Mamoswine that tries to set up on it, and dealing pretty heavy damage to two slower opponents. Would have been a much cleaner 2HKO on Mamoswine if said Mamoswine wasn't specially defensive. I also won a small tour in which Meloetta performed well (though it wasn't the star), but I neglected to save replays from those.

This set is supposed to do work against offense, so I'll show calcs against offense (specifically, sets that have been mentioned in this thread recently):

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Azelf: 283-334 (97.2 - 114.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Darmanitan: 340-402 (96.8 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie: 243-286 (93.1 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 244-288 (92 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 322-379 (89.6 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Weavile: 244-288 (86.8 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 256-303 (85.9 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pidgeot: 255-301 (83 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 255-301 (79.9 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Raikou: 213-252 (66.3 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 165-195 (59.5 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 169-201 (51 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 165-195 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO

HP Fighting and Shadow Ball tend to annihilate their targets, but Meloetta has to worry about Bisharp and Tyranitar destroying it with Sucker Punch -- of course, you can potentially hit them with Memento to give something else a setup opportunity.

Overall, two things to take away from this:
  1. Basically anything on offense that makes the mistake of trying to set up on Meloetta is going to die.
  2. Run Stealth Rock.

The set can also hit stall/balanced pretty hard, but so can every other Specs user.

I've also tried a subseed set inheriting from Whimsicott, but it was lacking in both the power and bulk departments.

Last edited:
Hey, so I was looking for a powerful special priority user, and I whipped this up:

Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Shadow Ball
- Memento

This set inherits Prankster + Nature Power from Whimsicott. An 80BP Specs STAB move off of 128 Special Attack deals heavy damage to most neutral targets, and tends to catch people off-guard. Shadow Ball and HP Fighting round off its coverage, hitting Ghosts and Rock/Steel types, respectively. Memento is mostly filler, but can be used at low health to give something else the opportunity to set up, I suppose. The EVs allow it to outspeed 252+ base-70s, which I guess is just Bisharp really -- the speed is still nice to outspeed things that try to shore up a low Speed with priority. I use it over Porygon-Z because it's bulkier.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/customgame-220324822 < Meloetta revenging a Conkeldurr, plowing through a Mamoswine that tries to set up on it, and dealing pretty heavy damage to two slower opponents. Would have been a much cleaner 2HKO on Mamoswine if said Mamoswine wasn't specially defensive. I also won a small tour in which Meloetta performed well (though it wasn't the star), but I neglected to save replays from those.

This set is supposed to do work against offense, so I'll show calcs against offense:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Azelf: 283-334 (97.2 - 114.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (destroyed by Sucker Punch, though. Naive variants are clean KOs.)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Darmanitan: 340-402 (96.8 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie: 243-286 (93.1 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 244-288 (92 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 322-379 (89.6 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Weavile: 244-288 (86.8 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 256-303 (85.9 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pidgeot: 255-301 (83 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 255-301 (79.9 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Raikou: 213-252 (66.3 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 165-195 (59.5 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 169-201 (51 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 165-195 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO

HP Fighting and Shadow Ball tend to annihilate their targets, but Meloetta has to worry about Bisharp and Tyranitar destroying it with Sucker Punch -- of course, you can potentially hit them with Memento to give something else a setup opportunity.

1. Basically anything on offense that makes the mistake of trying to set up on Meloetta is going to die.
  2. Run Stealth Rock.

The set can also hit stall/balanced pretty hard, but so can every other Specs user.

I've also tried a subseed set inheriting from Whimsicott, but it was lacking in both the power and bulk departments.
Meloetta could seriously benefit from the utility options Whimsicott provides such as encore, taunt, substitute, and most importantly switcheroo.

Meloetta could seriously benefit from the utility options Whimsicott provides such as encore, taunt, substitute, and most importantly switcheroo.
All true, but also incompatible with Specs (except Switcheroo, I'll slash that in); if you want a utility 'mon inheriting from Whimsicott, I think it would be better to go all-in with something more suited for that task than to try and mash it up with a priority user. As I said, un-specs'd Nature Power Meloetta is pretty disappointing power-wise (take 2/3 of the damage from those calcs and you're not even OHKOing after rocks consistently), and there are bulkier things to abuse the other moves with... actually, thinking on it, Porygon2 could have fun inheriting from Whimsicott.

Just saying that the Meloetta is NOT wrecked by Sucker Punch, as it will fail if it selects Nature Power.
Oh sweet, I forgot about that (and will edit it in). Still not particularly helpful against Bisharp and Tyranitar, but at least it's a reliable Protean check.

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Here is another set straight from AAA, not sure if anyone has said it or not though:
Gengar @ Life Orb/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower/Ice Beam
- Focus Blast/Thunderbolt
This Gengar inherits from Nidoking. It gains Sheer Force, both of its STABs and some great coverage, including BoltBeam, and Focus Blast for a Ghost/Fighting move pair. I've also had some fun with a Gengar inheriting from PrimalOgre:
Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Abiility: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
This set is very simple. Spam Water Spout and kill stuff until your health gets lowered, then hit stuff with your coverage. You get a pseudo STAB on Water Spout because of Rain. Origin Pulse is there for when you are low on HP and your Wish passer is ded. BoltBeam coverage is BoltBeam, and Thunder is better in Rain that Tbolt, because Rain solves its accuracy issues. Starmie does this job well too, but I prefer Gengar for more power on Thunder/Ice Beam, and it's less predictable (especially if you already have regular Rain up when you switch in).

Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Shadow Ball
- Memento

This set inherits Prankster + Nature Power from Whimsicott. An 80BP Specs STAB move off of 128 Special Attack deals heavy damage to most neutral targets, and tends to catch people off-guard. Shadow Ball and HP Fighting round off its coverage, hitting Ghosts and Rock/Steel types, respectively. Memento is mostly filler, but can be used at low health to give something else the opportunity to set up, I suppose. The EVs allow it to outspeed 252+ base-70s, which I guess is just Bisharp really -- the speed is still nice to outspeed things that try to shore up a low Speed with priority. I use it over Porygon-Z because it's bulkier.

This set is supposed to do work against offense, so I'll show calcs against offense:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Azelf: 283-334 (97.2 - 114.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (destroyed by Sucker Punch, though. Naive variants are clean KOs.)

2. Run Stealth Rock.

Noice! Only problem I see is its lack of power from anything but nature power- it lacks secondary stab, and it's most powerful coverage move has 80 BP. But the coverage is basically unresisted, which is pretty dope.

Noice! Only problem I see is its lack of power from anything but nature power- it lacks secondary stab, and it's most powerful coverage move has 80 BP. But the coverage is basically unresisted, which is pretty dope.
You can always run Psychic in Slot 4 if you're worried about power issues, and it does hit a number of things slightly harder than Nature Power, but given that power is usually only an issue when you're up against some sort of wall (against offense, you definitely want to either go first or hit it with the appropriate coverage move), I'd rather run Switcheroo to just cripple it right off the bat.

Now, if only Whimsicott got Psyshock, that would go on the set in a heartbeat... but alas. Psychic just doesn't add enough to the set, in my IMO.

You can always run Psychic in Slot 4 if you're worried about power issues, and it does hit a number of things slightly harder than Nature Power, but given that power is usually only an issue when you're up against some sort of wall (against offense, you definitely want to either go first or hit it with the appropriate coverage move), I'd rather run Switcheroo to just cripple it right off the bat.

Now, if only Whimsicott got Psyshock, that would go on the set in a heartbeat... but alas. Psychic just doesn't add enough to the set, in my IMO.
Yeah, I would agree with that. It still seems pretty good though. Priority that can't be beat by sucker punch is great, especially for a psychic type

So with Inheritance basically guaranteed to be OMotM, anyone feel anything is broken/deserves a ban?

Personally, I think we should do something about Assist teams. Sure, [Flash Fire user] stops it, but that's only until your opponent sends out a Mold Breaker Pokemon. What about [Primordial Sea user]? Desolate Lands.

When it gets a ladder, Assist teams will be really annoying and hard to beat.

Not really. No Mold Breaker poke that can learn Assist.

In fact, assist users are quite limited if you want to put 5-6 assist poke in your team. You have:

Infernape, Hypno, Persian, Weavile, Meowstic, Furret, Purugly, Liepard, Spinda, Delcatty. That's it. All of them include prevo.

I don't like too much bans tbh. It makes the meta lose some kind of essence. If -atespeed, Primordial Sea, Desolate Land, Protean and Gale Wings is part of the meta, so be it.

Though there is one thing that concern me the most. Sableye has Prankster + very wide movepool, including Metal Burst for Chansey and other high HP pokes. Like Primordial Sea Keldeo, it limits offensive playstyle too much that something must be done to it. Not by banning Chansey or you'll see Cresselia, Wobbuffet running the same thing. Its the donor itself thats overpowered imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)