Metagame Introduction to Hazard Stacking

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
approved by galbia
Introduction to Entry Hazard Stacking
Entry Hazard Stacking Overall:
Entry Hazard Stacking is one of the one the best and most popular playstyles in PU, especially after the gain of viable setters such as Probopass from tier shifts. The name of the playstyle explains how it works: it is based on stacking layers of Spikes / Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock, which allow the user to pressure and wear down foes every time they switch in, while still managing entry hazard control by carrying a Defog or Rapid Spin user such as Pelipper or Armaldo. Stacking up entry hazards and wearing down foes will eventually create opportunities for plenty offensive Pokemon in PU to clean up or sweep the opposing team, making this a lethal playstyle even after the ban of powerhouses such as Tauros and Kecleon

Going into roles and the building an Hazard Stacking team, your team will follow most of the time a pattern similiar to this one: Spikes Setter / Stealth Rock Setter / Defiant User / Spinblocker / Defog - Rapid Spin user or Revengekiller / Sweeper-Cleaner. This classic pattern of a simple Hazard Stacking team can be subject to changes depending user's preferences and style of play, one example adding a Sticky Web user to make even more easy the job of the Sweeper-Cleaner, or replacing the Spinblocker with another win condition to follow a more offensive build path.
Entry Hazards setters:
These are by no means the only viable Entry Hazard setters in PU

Dwebble:

Dwebble returned with a bang as a viable and decent Entry Hazards setter acting as a Suicide Lead on Hyper Offense thanks to the release of Custap Berry, contesting Whirlipede's spot. Its main niche consists in being able to place both Stealth Rock and Spikes, and Custap Berry + Sturdy make it more easy, granting at least Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes from the start, which is really good, still not being Sturdy dependant if you run Endure, which makes Dwebble survive an hit anyway even if the Sturdy gets broken.

Dwebble @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Counter / Endure / Knock Off
- Rock Blast

Toxic Spikes and Spikes setters:

Most popular Spikes setters are Roselia
and Venipede
: Roselia most of the time is seen on Balanced/Bulky Offense because it's more durable throughout the game thanks to her decent defenses boosted by Eviolite, access to Synthesis and good damage output thanks to its double STABs, also having a lot of utility with Sleep Powder / Stun Spore to ease the job of Setting Up Hazards other than making the foes easily revengekillable. Venipede, now preferred over Whirlipede because of its higher Speed, instead, it's good on Hyper Offense because it's used as a Suicide Lead, being able to put a lot of Hazards on the field with his high speed with Speed Bost, Focus Sash and then sometimes putting one of your enemy's mons at 1 HP with Endeavor, but can also run a more Defensive variant to fit into Bulky Offense teams. Quilladin deserves a different mention since it is the premier choice for Stall teams as a Spikes User thanks to its typing that makes it have a niche as a Ground Resist differently from the former two with decent base Def boosted by Eviolite, which also makes up for its terrible Special Defense along with Bulletproof, making it a good check to some Special Attackers such as Misdreavus or Haunter if it doesn't carry Sludge Wave(most do but whatever it's still a positive thing).
Defensive Variant
Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis / Sleep Powder / Stun Spore

Offensive Variant
Roselia (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes / Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder / Stun Spore

Venipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Endeavor

Whirlipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Endeavor

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis
- Roar

Stealth Rock setters:
Along with Toxic Spikes / Spikes setters there is a Stealth Rock setter to keep up the pressure on ground immunities, there are really a lot of viable pokémons that can fullfill this role, but the most seen at the moment now are:

Probopass is the relatively new guy dropped from NU, and in my opinion this is one of the best drops for the tier. With it PU gains a really good Pivot capable of setting Rocks on the field, having a great bulk and trapping Steels with Magnet Pull. Probopass also has a good coverage that can able him to run different sets making him fit in many teams' strategies so I highly suggest to you using it.
Defensive Stealth Rock
Probopass @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power / Flash Cannon / Power Gem

Offensive Pivot
Probopass @ Air Balloon / Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave
- Flash Cannon / Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power

Carracosta isn't really preferred on Offensive Teams since it is really slow paced and even if it has a decent coverage, it can't hit hard without Offensive Investments. Still it provides to teams such as Balanced and Stalls a wall of meat thanks to its Bulk and Solid Rock, other than its four typing resistances that has many opportunities to set up Stealth Rock other than checking the scary Sneasel and other Strong Physical Attackers.
Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Low Kick / Toxic / Knock Off / Aqua Jet
- Protect / Knock Off

Golem isn't really seen lately, but it's still a decent Stealth Rock setter on Hyper Offense teams thanks to its High Base Atk stat and Sturdy, which makes it set up Stealth Rock safely most of the time other than making Golem run purely Offensive sets despite its low speed such as the Weakness Policy+ 3 Atks and variants such as the Custap Berry + Explosion to catch the opponent off guard.
Weakness Policy + 3 Atks
Golem @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge / Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Custap Lead
Golem @ Custap Berry
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast / Stone Edge
- Explosion

Piloswine is one of the most reliable Stealth Rock setters in the tier that works on both Offensive and Defensive teams, differently from Carracosta and Golem, thanks to its great bulk with Eviolite along with its Typing and Thick Fat which makes it able to check Electric-types and tank Ice- and Fire-type moves really well, still carrying Offensive Potential to at least KO an enemy' pokemon if played properly.
Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear / Toxic
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Clefairy is actually one of the best choices as a Stealth Rock user for defensively-oriented teams, as with Eviolite and a Special Defense investment, it is able to tank special hits with ease, even from strong attackers such as Ninetales and Simipour, therefore coming in hand often nowadays, but it is able to also provide even more utility, thanks to the access to moves such as Thunder Wave, Knock Off and Healing Wish, making it a solid wall but also not a complete sitting duck.
Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave / Healing Wish
- Soft-Boiled

Sticky Web Users:

Sticky Web could be used in an Hazard Stacking team since they have a good synergy with Defiant Users and Spinblockers other than making more easy cleaning and revengekilling the enemy' Pokemon for slow paced teams. Leavanny
has decent Attacking and Speed Base Stats, which is the reason it could be used over Kricketune
, but mediocre Bulk so it performs better as a Suicide Sticky Web Lead since it doens't really have much utility aside from that. Kricketune is the other Sticky Web User, and considered by many the better one thanks to having other Utility aside from only setting up Webs, such as Taunting the enemy slow Defog User preventing it to fullfill their role or continuously putting pressure with Knock Off and Endeavor.
Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Magic Coat

Kricketune @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Knock Off

Defiant Users:

Of course you have to punish your opponent if he defogs/Rapid Spins away all of your precious stacks of Toxic Spikes / Spikes or Stealth Rock from the field so most of the time you will usually fit into the team a Defiant user. There are only really two viable Defiant users in the tier: Pawniard
and Purugly
. Pawniard is another one of the drops NU gave us and another good Dark Type PU got. It is good expecially on these typologies of team because you can make your opponent think two times if he wants to defog or not, since a +2 Atk Pawniard isn't too nice to have against. Also helping the team with a Priority since hazardstacking usually lacks fastpaced pokémons on bulky offense and balanced that wanted an alternative to Purugly. Talking about Purugly, its only niche now is its high speed and access to fake out since on the other sides it is completely outclassed by Pawniard, Purugly also gets walled by a lot of new drops mentioning Probopass, Armaldo and Torkoal so I would say it isn't worth using it anymore.
Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance / Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Purugly @ Life Orb / Silk Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Sucker Punch

Spinblockers:

Spinblockers will prevent Entry Hazards from being removed by Rapid Spin users, which is mandatory in a PU Hazard Stacking Team since there are a lot of viable Rapid Spin users out there. The best Spinblocker is Misdreavus
: Haunter rose to NU since the last tier shift, though it already had lost some favour into the tier, as it had to rely on different sets to succeed through the game as its standard ones were completely walled by Pawniard and Probopass. Misdreavus on the other side gained usage since Haunter's rise, it is still seen more on bulky offense and balanced teams thanks to its utility in the Defensive set and decent defensive stats with eviolite, still carrying fire power if you run Nasty Plot, which allows it to be viable on more offensive teams too. Another spinblocker that can be used is Gourgeist-XL
. Gourgeist-XL can be preferred over Misdreavus because of its higher bulk especially on the physical defensive side, which, along with its also good typing, allows it to be a decent check to common offensive powerhouses such as Barbaracle, Carracosta, and Torterra, becoming a defensive staple on defensive teams.
Defensive
Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play / Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Taunt

Nasty Plot
Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting / Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Foul Play

Things to consider when building an Hazard Stacking team:
Entry hazard setters are obviously mandatory when building an Hazard Stacking team, along with at least a spinblocker or defiant user to preserve your hazards or put pressure on the enemy's defog user. There can be made some combinations formed by Pokemon I mentioned above, from the one with Poliwrath
and Roselia
, as they both cover their weaknesses and Poliwrath can phaze foes thanks to Circle Throw, therefore wearing them down thanks to spikes' residual damage on balanced or bulky offense to the classic Venipede
Misdreavus
Pawniard
used on Hyper Offense. Because PU is a tier with plenty of offensive Pokemon, a lot of them can take advantage of hazard stacking, some examples are Ursaring
and Kadabra
that are devastating late-game if the opponent's team is weakened down enough. As I said before phazing works great along with hazards' residual damage, so Pokemon with access to Circle Throw or Roar such as Quilladin, Poliwrath, and Throh are good in a team. When building also remember that hazard stacking can be supported by Sticky Web users such as Kricketune and Leavanny, to help out slow paced teams and make use of sweepers or cleaners with mediocre speed such as Marowak
and Heatmor
Team Examples:
We have pretty good examples of hazard stacking offense teams on the subforum already, on the Sample Teams thread, including mine, and we know it's a pretty consistent strategy to rely on, so give a look at them since they include some informations and building phase, which can be useful if you are looking forward to build one by yourself.

TONE114 's Hazard Stack HO

Raiza. 's Hazard Stacking Bulky Offense

Kushalos 's Venipede Spikes Offense

Mine had Kecleon but replace it with Kadabra, it works fine with it anyway.
Conclusion:
Hazard Stacking is a really good and fun playstyle at the moment, being a Low Risk/High Reward typology of team since it's really accomplishing and can really be lethal and lead to constant victories if played well so I highly recommend you trying it either building a team or trying out one of these I posted. If there is anything about Hazard Stacking in PU that you want to ask or discuss, or if you just want to share a replay, than this is the place to do it.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to add Dwebble to the stealth rock and/or spikes section due to its pretty useful niche with the custap berry released. It may not be the most reliable setter because it loses to taunt pretty easily; but it can usually get up 2-3 hazards per match. It also has the speed to outpace all of the rockers posted above, allowing it to get up its hazards first. with counter it may also be able to get a strong hit against an opponent and can help it kill it the next turn or make the opposing Pokemon easy to revenge.

Dwebble @ Custap Berry
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Counter

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
I'd like to add Dwebble to the stealth rock and/or spikes section due to its pretty useful niche with the custap berry released. It may not be the most reliable setter because it loses to taunt pretty easily; but it can usually get up 2-3 hazards per match. It also has the speed to outpace all of the rockers posted above, allowing it to get up its hazards first. with counter it may also be able to get a strong hit against an opponent and can help it kill it the next turn or make the opposing Pokemon easy to revenge.

Dwebble @ Custap Berry
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Counter
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try Dwebble out when I'll have time and consider adding it to the OP. I'm waiting for now before adding Dwebble because I only mentioned really relevant and popular Setters and I want to put my hands on it before changing anything since it seems very niche at the moment, though it's getting used a bit.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try Dwebble out when I'll have time and consider adding it to the OP. I'm waiting for now before adding Dwebble because I only mentioned really relevant and popular Setters and I want to put my hands on it before changing anything since it seems very niche at the moment, though it's getting used a bit.
I'd definitely include Dwebble as a setter, and Quilladin also deserves a mention as a spiker, due to its ground resistance and access to roar it has a solid niche over Roselia.

You could add trubbish to spikes and toxic spikes setters. Detective marowak made a post explaining how trubbish works on the viability rankings here. It functions as a bulky hazard setter and dark and grass check/counter. I still haven't tried it out though.

you should definitely add dwebble though

Last edited:

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You could add trubbish to spikes and toxic spikes setters. Detective marowak made a post explaining how trubbish works on the viability rankings here. It functions as a bulky hazard setter and dark and grass check/counter. I still haven't tried it out though.
I'd wait until it becomes relevant, as right now even its viability is dubious

Raiza

World Defender
Quilladin and Dwebble got added!
Didn't put Dwebble in a specific category because it is able to place both Stealth Rock and Spikes so made a special mention.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have some minor suggestions for your EVs and move sets on some of the sample mons:

- Offensive Roselia should be running more speed than standard Offensive Poliwrath. Most Poliwrath currently run 64 speed (192 speed total), so Offensive Roselia should run 108 speed EVs (193 total) with special attack maximized and the rest placed into HP.

- Defensive Roselia should be using Synthesis over a Powder with Max HP, 56 Def EVs to avoid being OHKO'd by +2 Knock Off from Leafeon, and the rest in SDef. Although, Defensive Roselia can run some different options here.

- Offensive Probopass should run an Air Balloon and more speed than Piloswine (96 speed to hit 140 total - 2 pts faster than 8 spe Piloswine while maintaining an odd number of HP). Offensive Probopass with 96 Spe can stay in and 2HKO Piloswine with Flash Cannon, so Flash Cannon with Air Balloon is a solid option.

- Defensive Carracosta should have Aqua Jet as an option listed, because it does about 40-48% to Ninetales. If Ninetales has a Life Orb and Stealth Rock up on its side, it can enter Aqua Jet's KO range fairly easily.
4 Atk Carracosta Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 116-140 (40.4 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk Carracosta Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 116-140 (40.4 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

- WP Golem should be running 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe. 4 SpD allows it to survive Rampardos' 112 SpAtk Surf about 6% of the time. With 4 EVs in HP, Golem is always KO'd by its Surf, but with 4 EVs in SpD, it has a small chance to survive.
112 SpA Mold Breaker Rampardos Surf vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Golem: 304-360 (100.6 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO --> with 4 HP
112 SpA Mold Breaker Rampardos Surf vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Golem: 300-356 (99.6 - 118.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO --> with 4 SpD
(This is more rare, but Golem has survived my Rampardos 112 SpAtk Surf before)
EDIT: Golem is also normally Adamant for maximizing Sucker Punch damage on a lot of faster targets, though Jolly can still be ran.

- The last 8 EVs for Piloswine should be ran in Speed instead of SpD. The reason being is that it has the potential to outspeed these Pokes if it does:
136 / Carbink, Klang, Lickilicky, Metang, Piloswine, Prinplup / 50 / Neutral / 0 / 0. Getting that KO on a wounded Lickilicky before it wishes is probably more important than 2 pts in SpD. Likewise, avoiding the KO from a wounded Prinplup is also nice.

- Offensive Misdreavus should have HP Fighting listed as an option for more damage on Probopass and Pawniard, as well as bulky normal types that switch in to take Shadow Balls (with 144 speed instead to make up for the loss in speed due to running 30 Speed IV with HP Fighting). If you don't run HP Fighting with NP, Ursaring also counters you.

- Specially Defensive Misdreavus can also be an option with a spread of 248 hp / 200 SpD / 56 speed with a Calm Nature, to outspeed Pawniard by +1 and burn it with WoW. Taunt should also be the primary option on all Defensive Misdreavus', no matter what spread.

That's all I have for now, sweet thread. :-)

Last edited:

MZ

Go go gadget nitpicking! Unslash dazzling gleam on np missy and perish song on defensive missy, as gleam is basically only for Throh at higher health and perish song is really niche. Probopass should pretty much never run power gem, as it doesn't hit anything relevant that you can't with flash cannon/volt switch/earth power. Seed bomb is an option for quilladin to not give a defensive mon recoil, and Karane's offensive lead spikes quilladin might be worth adding, although I haven't tested it yet. Scarf Haunter should run sludge wave because if the prevalence of quilladin. Sir Kay 9 also has a hazard stack team submitted to samples, and although the golem and whirlipede sets need to be fixed (probably just to the ones in this thread) it's worth checking out, if not adding to the OP. Team is here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-sample-teams.3519428/page-3#post-6072767
Totally off topic, but did you know that your sample team submission with Zweilous is the one everybody in tournaments uses now?

Raiza

World Defender
Totally off topic, but did you know that your sample team submission with Zweilous is the one everybody in tournaments uses now?
Nice dude that's Sample Team purpose I glad I managed to accomplish it.
anyway I considered the various suggestions you, 2xthetap and 365pokemon submitted and decided to consider the most important ones implementing them in the OP, I am waiting on adding the others like Offensive Quilladin, Armaldo and Torkoal since I want to wait suspect tests results, however I'm still considering the possibility to add them in the future because at the moment they aren't really popular and relevant in the tier such as the one listed in the OP, so I'm holding back a bit before adding them since this is only an Introduction, though they can still be discussed, and that also counts for other Stealth Rock setters and Team examples I didn't list.

yo, so this thread is pretty comprehensive but I'd mention some hazard stacking cores (you have teams listed but a basic core such as HO hazard setter + Ghost + Pawniard gives a frame for people to build around). RestTalk Poliwrath + Roselia (can be any variant) is also pretty good as they cover a bunch of threats and Poli can obviously phaze and abuse Spikes set up by Rose. Also, a mention of phazers such as resttalk Poli, Circle Throw Throh (rare but /can/ be used), Zweilous, (the already given) Quilladin and maybe random stuff that can run Roar such as Pilo is good for more defensive teams that want to whittle down stuff w/ hazards. Also a mention of mons that appreciate having hazards up to wear down their counters (setup mons etc.) also helps when building :o

cool thread

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Yeah maybe you could add a section called "Surprise Factors" and add like Pawniard and Aurorus for stealth rocks, Deliburd for Spikes, Magic bounce Natu for rock-blocking. Just to encourage creativity.

Raiza

World Defender
yo, so this thread is pretty comprehensive but I'd mention some hazard stacking cores (you have teams listed but a basic core such as HO hazard setter + Ghost + Pawniard gives a frame for people to build around). RestTalk Poliwrath + Roselia (can be any variant) is also pretty good as they cover a bunch of threats and Poli can obviously phaze and abuse Spikes set up by Rose. Also, a mention of phazers such as resttalk Poli, Circle Throw Throh (rare but /can/ be used), Zweilous, (the already given) Quilladin and maybe random stuff that can run Roar such as Pilo is good for more defensive teams that want to whittle down stuff w/ hazards. Also a mention of mons that appreciate having hazards up to wear down their counters (setup mons etc.) also helps when building :o

cool thread
I added a section to directly give building suggestions and usage tips to people new to the playstyle, mentioning some combinations, phazers, Pokemon that appreciate hazards residual damage, common sweepers that take advantage of sticky web etc. , any other input is welcome.

Yeah that seems cool; also I forgot to mention this but Sticky webs honestly aren't that great rn, haven't really seen a good webs team for the current meta and Leavanny/Kricketune are literally dead weight so you'll be starting most fights 5v6. Pawniard is also a bitch for these teams to deal with (although they usually carry Poliwrath, you can't Defog so you'll usually have to switch in on hazards which wear it down REALLY quickly). just thought it should be mentioned as usually a webs team is inferior to balance, offense, and stall.

edit: and no this is NOT because i lost to grimoiregod with it ;;;;;

Last edited:
It would be nice to add pictures of the pokemon you're talking about in the "things to consider" section(both at the top of the paragraph
and by the names when they're first mentioned
), because right now it's just a big block of text that would be easier to read with visuals.
Also, the sticky web section is the only section that talks about multiple pokemon without visuals by their names when they're first mentioned
(like you do for spikes, defiant users, and spinblockers), so I would add that.

not sure if you wanted anymore than two spin blockers, but theres a few more viable and very good ones in the tier that i'd recommend. Gourgeist-Super and Gourgeist-Small are both great spinblockers, the former being better on stall/bulky offense and the latter being better on balanced/offensive teams as a SubSeed user. Dusknoir is also a great spinblocker that hits pretty hard with a Choice Band, so i'd definitely include that. Dusclops is probably the best spin blocker for stall (which sadly isn't very viable right now, but i'd definitely include it)

Edit: Clefairy is also a great Stealth Rock user rn that checks a lot of common mons such as Simipour and Special Poliwrath (added to sets)

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Phantom Force / Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp

Dusknoir @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Trick / Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam / Dark Pulse

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Raiza

World Defender
not sure if you wanted anymore than two spin blockers, but theres a few more viable and very good ones in the tier that i'd recommend. Gourgeist-Super and Gourgeist-Small are both great spinblockers, the former being better on stall/bulky offense and the latter being better on balanced/offensive teams as a SubSeed user. Dusknoir is also a great spinblocker that hits pretty hard with a Choice Band, so i'd definitely include that. Dusclops is probably the best spin blocker for stall (which sadly isn't very viable right now, but i'd definitely include it)

Edit: Clefairy is also a great Stealth Rock user rn that checks a lot of common mons such as Simipour and Special Poliwrath (added to sets)

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Phantom Force / Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp

Dusknoir @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Trick / Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam / Dark Pulse

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
Thanks for the suggestions!
Clefairy got added, but I want to keep it short and fresh when talking about spinblockers, so I'll just keep them at two, until others eventually become as relevant.

Raiza

World Defender
I decided to revamp this thread because some content was outdated.
The most significant changes are:
I removed Haunter from spinblockers as it rose to NU some time ago, and replaced it with Gourgeist.
I added Venipede as a main Spikes setter along with Roselia, as I feel at the moment it is better than Whirlipede.
I added Kushalos's Venipede Spikes Offense to team examples as it was already into sample teams archive and it's actually good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)