#smogonvgc Live Tournament Week 13 - Cresselia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, in an effort to promote activity here in the VGC subforum, we'll be holding a practice tournament this Friday at 5 pm US central time (GMT -6). If this tournament goes over well enough, we'll do more like it and hopefully have more fun stuff for everyone. This week, we'll be giving away a Calm Cresselia (soft reset by lucariojr ) to everyone that enters the tournament to use in future live tournaments, or one of the many premier challenges being held across the US (and the world?).

This week, TheMantyke and lucariojr will be running the bracket.

View the bracket and sign up for the tournament here.

The link for the IRC channel, #smogonvgc is Here.

You will need to check in one hour before the tournament begins to participate.

Additionally, we're aiming to record the finals and put them up on the official Smogon Youtube Channel! This should go without saying, but please, if you make it to the finals, save your Battle Videos and post them here!

We're slowly getting previous week's finals rolled out. Here's the newly uploaded finals for week 11!

The rules are simple:
  • Flat Doubles, pentagon Pokemon ONLY. Basic VGC rules here, folks. If it's not allowed on ORAS Battle Spot, it isn't allowed here.
  • For the purpose of having the tournament run on time, strategies such as Minimize are STRONGLY discouraged. Id' like to keep this tournament fun and fast; these strategies are neither.
  • Competitors will need a copy of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire to enter.
  • The tournament will be Swiss, best of one with a top cut (with best of three matches) that will be determined by how many people enter (or depending on time constraints)
  • Each round will last a maximum of 30 minutes. If the match is not completed within the timeframe, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses.
  • If there is a disconnection, it will be up to the host to decide who wins or who loses. Make sure to have a camera handy to get some proof if you're nervous about this.
  • Since this is a non-weighted practice tournament, you may change your team between rounds. However, it might be better practice for you not to do so.
  • You must join the IRC channel #smogonvgc in order to participate.

Crescenda -
Cresselia

Nature: Calm - Ability: Levitate - Location: Pokemon Omega Ruby
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
This week, we'll be giving away Crescenda the ORAS-caught Cresselia. Cresselia might not be as dominating as she was in previous years, but she will certainly help you out if you need a bulky supporter to slap on a team.

So even if you're not confident in your skills or your team, remember that this is just for practice and that you're getting a free Cresselia. Stop by #smogonvgc this Friday to show your support for VGC on Smogon! I hope to see you then!

HOW TO RECEIVE CRESSELIA:
  • Note: Cresselia will not start being distributed until 3:30 PM CST. Please follow these instructions then.
  • Step 1: Catch a Cacnea
  • Step 2: Offer the Cacnea for a Cresselia on the GTS. If you haven't registered Cresselia in your Pokedex yet, you can type its name in at the bottom.
  • Step 3: Enter your username that you entered the tournament with in the message box, or simply put #smogonvgc. If you don't do this, you'll be ignored!
  • Step 4: At about 3:30pm CST (90 minutes before tournament begins), our distributor will start giving out the Cresselia. Refresh the GTS to receive your Cresselia. Enjoy!
13 weeks in a row is pretty impressive!

Art done by KAIZA

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since my final midterm is on Friday, I can finally start joining these again. Can't wait to battle yall tomorrow and get used to a more normal doubles metagame (at least compared to stuff like Hoenn Doubles and those Uber cups gamefreak has been pimping lately lol) =)

Cool deal, it'll be fun to see if some of my tweaks help at all. Though it's still possible I'll lose entirely due to my poor play...

Also, the thread lists the tournament as starting at 5 PM US Central Time (CDT), which is actually GMT -5. Daylight Savings goes into effect here in Europe on the 29th, at which point the European time zones advance one hour. For folks here in central Europe, this week's distribution starts at 2130 CET, and the tournament begins at 2300 CET. Next week, CET goes from GMT +1 to GMT +2 (until the end of Daylight Savings Time) so the distribution and tournament will begin at 2230 CET and 2400 CET, respectively. Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion I've seen in previous weeks.

Last edited:
I'm off tommorow. And I could use a Cresselia.
I'll be doing a coinflip between "a repitition of the Week 10 horror" and "something completely stupid".
"Something completely stupid" does not involve Minimize/evasion/accuracy. I do have my honor dictating even the little things in life.

which is actually GMT -5 at the moment. Daylight Savings goes into effect here in Europe on the 29th, at which point it will go back to being GMT - 6.
Even in Greenwich the time won't be GMT once ds kicks in. GMT is a constant setting throughout the year as some of the countries that use it including Iceland, some east Atlantic islands and several African countries don't observe daylight saving.
Come European daylight saving UK will be BST (GMT+1) and all the American times, relative to GMT, will be as they are now with no change.

You heard my prayers from last week :O
Seriously though, nice that you are redoing Cresselia. I hope can make this one, but because of daylight savings over in the US this is now more challenging for me to manage to participate in. Luckily we here in Europe also adjust to daylight savings soon, so I hope I can get some more tournaments on my record.
But regarding the above posts about the daylight savings here in Europe, will I then after daylight savings be GMT+2 since I am +1 now?

Even in Greenwich the time won't be GMT once ds kicks in. GMT is a constant setting throughout the year as some of the countries that use it including Iceland, some east Atlantic islands and several African countries don't observe daylight saving.
Come European daylight saving UK will be BST (GMT+1) and all the American times, relative to GMT, will be as they are now with no change.
Huh, I hadn't realized that. I knew UTC did that, but I didn't realize that GMT did as well. I'll update it to reflect that.

I'm off tommorow. And I could use a Cresselia.
I'll be doing a coinflip between "a repitition of the Week 10 horror" and "something completely stupid".
"Something completely stupid" does not involve Minimize/evasion/accuracy. I do have my honor dictating even the little things in life.
inb4GrowlDewgong

I think I'm in this week. Haven't been playing much pokemon the last week or so, need to get back into battling. ;)

And whoa, we have snazzy arts for this now. ;o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)