ORAS OU My first ORAS competitive team

You say Garchomp isn't viable today except for SD+SR or Choice Scarf and I was thinking about putting Tyranitar specially for using SR.
What if I use Garchomp as a lead like this:

Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4HP
Ability: Rough Skin
Item: Rocky Helmet
Movestet:
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Stealth Rock

This would be instead as Stealth Rock Tyranitar, it would also leave a space open in my team, what do you think?
Give him a Lum Berry and put the last 4 EVs in defence so you have an odd HP count and that is the definitive Garchomp lead, yes! That's an option. One thing that would mean though is you can't use Exca effectively due to lack of Sand Rush boost (before you ask, don't use Scarf, it's not a good set since being Choice locked into Rapid Spin kills your momentum completely). That's not really too bad a thing since your team isn't really weak to hazards at all so spin support isn't vital, I'm just making a point.
Tl;dr, yup that's the lead Chomp set more or less, but now you can't use Exca effectively so replacing him is advised.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I would put focus sash over rocky helm on chomp just so at the very least you get up rocks in a battle.

Give him a Lum Berry and put the last 4 EVs in defence so you have an odd HP count and that is the definitive Garchomp lead, yes! That's an option. One thing that would mean though is you can't use Exca effectively due to lack of Sand Rush boost (before you ask, don't use Scarf, it's not a good set since being Choice locked into Rapid Spin kills your momentum completely). That's not really too bad a thing since your team isn't really weak to hazards at all so spin support isn't vital, I'm just making a point.
Tl;dr, yup that's the lead Chomp set more or less, but now you can't use Exca effectively so replacing him is advised.
I never really used Excadrill so cutting him off is ok for me, if you take a look in the OP you'll see the mons I'm using.
The list would stay as Garchomp(Lead), Gengar(taunter set), Gyrados, Volcarona and Mega-Scizor.
As you can see, there is one mon left, any suggestion?

Wait, nevermind, you have a Volcarona, of course you need a Spinner/Defogger! XD Completely forgot about that. Ok, that simplifies it, run a Latios. Has great synergy with Scizor, has a nice speed tier, Draco nukes hit like a train, etc. Really, out of the options you have for a hazard remover, Latios is pretty much the best, some others are too passive or don't have good synergy with your current picks. Latias is also an option too if you want Healing Wish support but I'd advise Latios first since I see the power being more helpful than a pseudo-cleric in the long run to help you crack through defence.
Also, I never reviewed your Gyarados. Run Jolly with Indimidate, replace Crunch and EQ with Sub and Bounce. Bounce is great STAB on Gyarados and he can make good use of it with the Sub, the two-turn move doesn't hurt him that much honestly since after a +1 it's going to hurt something. Sub helps him set up and get hits off easier and EQ and Crunch in general are better off running on Mega thanks to Mold Breaker and STAB in that form, but for regular, Bounce and Sub. I'll leave the full set below again.

Really Big Fish (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Not Latias (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Defog

Not Latios (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Wait, nevermind, you have a Volcarona, of course you need a Spinner/Defogger! XD Completely forgot about that. Ok, that simplifies it, run a Latios. Has great synergy with Scizor, has a nice speed tier, Draco nukes hit like a train, etc. Really, out of the options you have for a hazard remover, Latios is pretty much the best, some others are too passive or don't have good synergy with your current picks. Latias is also an option too if you want Healing Wish support but I'd advise Latios first since I see the power being more helpful than a pseudo-cleric in the long run to help you crack through defence.
Also, I never reviewed your Gyarados. Run Jolly with Indimidate, replace Crunch and EQ with Sub and Bounce. Bounce is great STAB on Gyarados and he can make good use of it with the Sub, the two-turn move doesn't hurt him that much honestly since after a +1 it's going to hurt something. Sub helps him set up and get hits off easier and EQ and Crunch in general are better off running on Mega thanks to Mold Breaker and STAB in that form, but for regular, Bounce and Sub. I'll leave the full set below again.

Really Big Fish (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Not Latias (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Defog

Not Latios (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish
The problem with defog is that it makes harzard from both opponent and myself go away,
making Garchomp useless. It'd be better if there was a good rapi spinner on my team,
that's why people recommended Exxcadrill. I don't see many options for a good rapid spinner,
that's why I was willing to sacrifice someone on my team for it, but maybe I could use another mon
instead of Volcarona. Any ideas?

It doesn't make Garchomp useless at all. The only way it would ever make a lead redundant is if it were a suicide lead who's not planning on sticking around for more than a few turns after setting up hazard. Your Garchomp isn't that though, he can reset hazards at any given point, it's no big deal. You're not employing a suicide lead or running a hazard stack team (teams that pile up all sorts of hazards around, like Spikes, toxic Spikes, Rocks, etc, things that you really can't afford being forced to reset) so Defog's hindering quality doesn't hurt you much at all.
If you're really looking to replace Volc though then CM Clef might be a good option. It completes a solid Fairy/Dragon/Steel core with Chomp and Scizor which is pretty nice and can be a very potent offensive and defensive threat when set up. She gives you good coverage for stuff like Keldeo, Mega Gyarados, and opposing Dragons which you don't really have.

Splodge (Clefable) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

It doesn't make Garchomp useless at all. The only way it would ever make a lead redundant is if it were a suicide lead who's not planning on sticking around for more than a few turns after setting up hazard. Your Garchomp isn't that though, he can reset hazards at any given point, it's no big deal. You're not employing a suicide lead or running a hazard stack team (teams that pile up all sorts of hazards around, like Spikes, toxic Spikes, Rocks, etc, things that you really can't afford being forced to reset) so Defog's hindering quality doesn't hurt you much at all.
If you're really looking to replace Volc though then CM Clef might be a good option. It completes a solid Fairy/Dragon/Steel core with Chomp and Scizor which is pretty nice and can be a very potent offensive and defensive threat when set up. She gives you good coverage for stuff like Keldeo, Mega Gyarados, and opposing Dragons which you don't really have.

Splodge (Clefable) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
I had an idea. What if I use this set for Scizor instead:

Alternative Defog Mega-Scizor:

Nature: Adamant
EVs 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Atk
Item: Scizorite
Moveset: Bullet Punch
Knock Off
Roost
Defog

and the Clefable you said, that way my team would be quite balanced in types,
would have a offensive stealth rock user and a bulky defog user.
What do you think?

It could be a possibility, but if you're replacing Volc then there's no urgency to run hazard control. Defog Mega Scizor has also somewhat lost its lustre since it has arguably more potential to be an SD sweeper. Again, it's possible, but I wouldn't bank on it.

It could be a possibility, but if you're replacing Volc then there's no urgency to run hazard control. Defog Mega Scizor has also somewhat lost its lustre since it has arguably more potential to be an SD sweeper. Again, it's possible, but I wouldn't bank on it.
Take a look at OP again, Volcarona iss still there but the team seems quite balanced, I'll try it a bit but it seems quite good already.

I guess it works then, but, uhhh... Shed Shell on Volc? Shed Shell keeps you from being trapped by stuff, it's an item held by Ferrothorn and Skarm to avoid Magnezone trapping, you accomplish nothing by putting it on Volc. If you must abide by item clause then run Expert Belt, it's the closest thing to a helpful item on Volc that isn't Lafties or Life Orb.

I guess it works then, but, uhhh... Shed Shell on Volc? Shed Shell keeps you from being trapped by stuff, it's an item held by Ferrothorn and Skarm to avoid Magnezone trapping, you accomplish nothing by putting it on Volc. If you must abide by item clause then run Expert Belt, it's the closest thing to a helpful item on Volc that isn't Lafties or Life Orb.
No it's shell bell, an item that males a mon recover life depending on the damage given, since when I play usually the is item clause and therefore I can't use two items I use Shell Bell on it.

I updated my team, what do you guys think? Do Sylveon works good on that team?
Do you have any other recommendation for that team?

My apologies if these changes have already been implemented, but I'm using the team on the first page. This is a pretty solid looking team, but its incredible weak to Bisharp, Mega Loppuny, Mega Gyarados and Life Orb Excadrill in the sand. I'd change Knock Off on Scizor to Superpower to help deal with these threats, as well as adding some defense EVs to take them on better. I would change Gengar's set to the one Shadowtags's suggested, but move the 4 HP EVs on Gengar to Special Defense to give enough HP to attack 11 times instead of 10. I would also suggest changing either Hidden Power Rock on Volcarona or Shadow Ball on Sylveon to Hidden Power Ground, so one of them can lure in Heatran for the other. I would also run 88 Speed EVs on Sylveon to outspeed 4 Speed Skarmory, allowing you to 2HKO it with Hyper Voice before it can Roost. Finally, I would change Leftovers on Garchomp to either Lum Berry, Focus Sash, or Rocky Helmet.

Stealth rocks and dance is somewhat gimmicky as you only have 2 attack slots left... You could use another attack like rock slide or iron head etc

Edit: SD gliscor will wall ur meta gross without ice punch

Last edited:
Grimlock00 SD+Stabs have perfect coverage on everything, except for some stuff that's uncommon (Togekiss) or beats you anyways (Skarmory). It actually helps the team weaken stuff like Rotom-W and Landorus-T that would otherwise be annoying.

My apologies if these changes have already been implemented, but I'm using the team on the first page. This is a pretty solid looking team, but its incredible weak to Bisharp, Mega Loppuny, Mega Gyarados and Life Orb Excadrill in the sand. I'd change Knock Off on Scizor to Superpower to help deal with these threats, as well as adding some defense EVs to take them on better. I would change Gengar's set to the one Shadowtags's suggested, but move the 4 HP EVs on Gengar to Special Defense to give enough HP to attack 11 times instead of 10. I would also suggest changing either Hidden Power Rock on Volcarona or Shadow Ball on Sylveon to Hidden Power Ground, so one of them can lure in Heatran for the other. I would also run 88 Speed EVs on Sylveon to outspeed 4 Speed Skarmory, allowing you to 2HKO it with Hyper Voice before it can Roost. Finally, I would change Leftovers on Garchomp to either Lum Berry, Focus Sash, or Rocky Helmet.
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll change the EVs on Sp Def of Gengar, I also have already changed item of Garchomp to Rocky Helmet.
Focus Blast has a terrible accuracy and Thunderbolt makes it able to handle gyrados, keldeo and some other types.
The problem to earth hidden power Volcarona is that it uses 30 iv, making it slower than a 31iv speed 100 base fully trained.
About Sylveon, would it be worth to take some EVs on HP to make it have 88 Speed EVs?

Just ignore this

Last edited:
Sorry for the triple post, my internet lagged a lot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)