Battle Spot Hippowdon

Overview
########
In the midst of a powerful sandstorm, Hippowdon is able to take on some of the strongest Pokemon in the metagame. With Rocky Helmet and reliable recovery, Hippowdon can wall threatening physical attackers such as Blaziken and Mega Kangaskhan. Between Rocky Helmet, sand damage, and even recoil for Pokemon such as Blaziken and Talonflame, physical attackers will be taking a good chunk of damage without Hippowdon even needing to attack. Hippowdon can even check special attackers as well if invested for it. The very prominent Aegislash easily falls to Hippowdon's high defenses and STAB Earthquake. Sand Stream is a fantastic ability which gets chip damage that can end up being crucial. It's also very useful for breaking Focus Sashes, making troublesome Focus Sash users such as Breloom easier to deal with. It can also work as a good way to remove other weather if need be. Hippowdon's access to Yawn is great thanks to the lack of Sleep Clause in Battle Spot; with Yawn's two turn mechanic, it forces a lot of switches. This works well in conjunction with Stealth Rock, punishing foes for attempting to avoid being put to sleep. However, Hippowdon suffers from a very low Speed tier and will almost always be moving last, and it heavily relies on support moves, making it an easy target for Taunt users such as Thundurus.

Rocky Helmet Wall
########
name: Rocky Helmet Wall
move 1: Slack Off
move 2: Yawn
move 3: Stealth Rock / Whirlwind
move 4: Earthquake / Rock Tomb
ability: Sand Stream
item: Rocky Helmet
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Relaxed

Moves
========

Slack Off is what makes Hippowdon great at what it does; Hippowdon can use Slack Off to keep itself as healthy as possible while being attacked. Thanks to sand and Rocky Helmet, the foe will still be taking a good amount of damage while Hippowdon recovers. Yawn and Stealth Rock go hand in hand; Yawn's two turn mechanic gives the foe a chance to switch out and avoid being put to sleep, and when Stealth Rock is up Hippowdon can safely continuously use Yawn, forcing the opponent to either let something sleep or take too much damage from Stealth Rock and sand. If you choose to run Stealth Rock on another Pokemon, Whirlwind can be used instead, as it really messes with the opponent's switches and racks up even more residual damage. It's also nice for phazing sweepers and Minimize users, as Whirlwind will always work even against foes with evasion boosts. Earthquake is Hippowdon's main form of offense, a strong STAB move coming off a respectable Attack for a defensive Pokemon. It hits many Pokemon Hippowdon would like to check super effectively, such as Blaziken, Mawile, and Aegislash. Rock Tomb is a good alternative to hit Talonflame and lower the foe's Speed, but it doesn't hit nearly as hard in most situations.

Set Details
========

Maximum Defense and HP EVs are used because Hippowdon is meant to check the strongest of physical attackers. Rocky Helmet is the essential item that ensures Hippowdon can check Mega Kangaskhan, being able to do extra damage thanks to the latter's Parental Bond ability. Minimum Speed is desired to underspeed all Aegislash so Hippowdon can hit them with Earthquake in their frailer Blade forme. Additionally, it can be helpful against Trick Room teams, most notably underspeeding Brave Mega Mawile.

Usage Tips
========

Hippowdon can take hits from threatening attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, and Blaziken, protecting teammates from being revenge killed by them. It can also serve nicely as a lead by immediately setting up Stealth Rock and spreading sleep with Yawn. Setting Stealth Rock up fast allows Focus Sashes to be broken early and provides some chip damage that could be very helpful to put a foe in KO range for your other Pokemon, but Hippowdon works just as well mid-game or whenever it is needed most. You should be cautious leading with Hippowdon, as you often won't want to lose it too quickly in the match. Slack Off should be used wisely and not neglected. Keeping Hippowdon healthy can be important; losing it too early could make you susceptible late-game to a foe that Hippowdon could have checked. The power of foes such as Kangaskhan, Blaziken, and Aegislash should not be underestimated, and Hippowdon still has to be careful not to fall early to them. Whenever you decide to set up Stealth Rock or use Yawn, make sure Hippowdon is healthy enough to do so. Try to keep sand up as long as you still need it, as the chip damage can be great and softens foes up for Hippowdon's teammates. You should keep in mind that continuously using Yawn is a viable option, as it prevents the opponent from bringing in a counter to Hippowdon without getting punished.

Team Options
========

Hippowdon fits very well on balance teams. Fast and frail sweepers such as Charizard, Mega Lucario, Greninja, and Blaziken appreciate Hippowdon's ability to deal with opposing Blaziken and Talonflame; with the priority and Speed Boost revenge killers out of the way, they can have an easier time cleaning up teams late-game. Although it does not have particularly good type synergy with Hippowdon, Excadrill becomes very threatening with Hippowdon's sand up thanks to Sand Rush. Especially after Hippowdon has helped weaken teams, Excadrill can have an easy time picking off the rest of a team with its boosted Speed and naturally high Attack. Once Hippowdon has weakened foes with its numerous ways of inflicting chip damage, they become closer to KO range for heavy hitters such as Aegislash and Mega Kangaskhan.

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 4: Earthquake
item: Rocky Helmet / Sitrus Berry / Smooth Rock
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Sassy

Moves
========

Slack Off allows Hippowdon to stay healthy; it can tank a hit, dish one out itself, and proceed to recover. Yawn spreads sleep around and forces switches thanks to its two turn mechanic, working well with Stealth Rock to create extra chip damage. Should you choose to use Stealth Rock on another Pokemon, Whirlwind is an option to mess with the opponent's switches and rack up even more damage from Stealth Rock. Earthquake is Hippowdon's strongest STAB move and is necessary to deal with Pokemon that Hippowdon threatens most. It can do a great amount of damage to Aegislash and Heatran, among others.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Defense investment is used to let Hippowdon take hits from powerful special attackers. It can survive strong hits and proceed to use Yawn on them. Minimum Speed is used to have the best matchup against Aegislash as possible. With Special Defense investment, Hippowdon becomes a fantastic counter to Aegislash; it is able to take any hit and knock Aegislash out in return, as it will always be attacking after Aegislash and hitting its frailer Blade forme. Rocky Helmet is the item of choice to get some chip damage, and it allows Hippowdon to scare physical attackers even without Defense investment. Sitrus Berry can be used for recovery on turns you use Yawn or Earthquake instead of Slack Off. Smooth Rock allows sand to be up longer and can be helpful for more turns of chip damage or to support other Pokemon on your team, such as Excadrill or Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

Hippowdon can be an annoyance to special attackers and should be coming in and trying to put them to sleep or weakening them with Earthquake. This set lacks physical investment, so it should not be brought directly in on certain physical powerhouses such as Blaziken and Mega Kangaskhan, but it can still serve as a check to them with Rocky Helmet.

Team Options
========

Hippowdon fits well on balance teams. Pokemon that only need a bit of chip damage on certain foes to manage to KO them, such as Blaziken and Mega Lucario, appreciate Stealth Rock and Hippowdon's other forms of chip damage. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Aegislash work well with Hippowdon as their partner. Mega Kangaskhan and Salamence appreciate the removal of Aegislash, as they can more freely use their STAB attacks. Talonflame also likes having Aegislash removed so that it doesn't need to play King's Shield mind games and can spam Brave Bird without it switching in. It also likes the residual damage that Hippowdon provides. Bulky Talonflame can be a good partner by spreading Will-O-Wisp, putting less pressure on Hippowdon's uninvested Defense. Excadrill becomes a threatening Pokemon capable of cleaning up teams with Hippowdon's sand up thanks to the speed boost from Sand Rush. Porygon2 can be used as an extra defensive Pokemon to work with Hippowdon; together, they can be hard to break without a dedicated wallbreaker.

Other Options
########

Toxic can be useful for wearing down defensive Pokemon such as Porygon2 and Cresselia. Leftovers is a good item choice on certain sets, providing nice passive recovery each turn. Ice Fang can be used to hit Salamence, Garchomp, and Landorus-T, which are all prevalent threats. Sets utilizing Stockpile and Toxic can work well against unprepared teams and are almost impossible to break when put in the right position.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types in particular cause a lot of problems for Hippowdon. Most Water-types are special attackers, so they will be hitting Hippowdon for super effective damage on its weaker Special Defense, meaning that it cannot afford to stay in to use Yawn. It also fears being burned by Scald, as the residual damage significantly hinders Hippowdon's ability to stay in the match. Rotom-W, Suicune, and Slowbro are all common sights and nightmares for Hippowdon.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types can do heavy damage to Hippowdon and take very little damage from Earthquake, so it is not really worth staying in to Yawn against them. Breloom and Venusaur in particular are extremely threatening, as they can put Hippowdon to sleep before it can use Yawn.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Hippowdon's uninvested Special Defense is not amazing. Most powerful special attackers such as Greninja and Mega Charizard Y are capable of doing heavy damage to Hippowdon, and unless it can KO them with Earthquake or has already hit them with Yawn on the switch, it is often not worth staying in because they may be doing more damage than Hippowdon is able to recover.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Hippowdon excels only against very offensive Pokemon. Pokemon such as Cresselia and Porygon2 can be very troublesome for Hippowdon, as they can use Toxic on it, hit it with STAB special attacks, and recover off most damage it does. Putting them to sleep is useful, but foes such as Cresselia, which sometimes carries Rest anyway, might not even care.

**Taunt**: Hippowdon's most important moves are stopped by Taunt. Taunt is not the most common of moves, but Taunt users such as Gyarados and Thundurus will shut down Hippowdon really well.

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye is a hard counter to Hippowdon, as Magic Bounce nullifies Yawn, Stealth Rock, and Whirlwind by bouncing them back. Mega Sableye can also burn Hippowdon, making Earthquake do pitiful damage. Hippowdon is total setup bait for Mega Sableye.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think a SpDef set needs it's own set instead of just OO. Just to put it's bulk into perspective, it has an 87.5% chance to live a Hydro Pump from Life Orb Greninja (so you could Yawn it, either forcing a switch while you Slack Off or letting it kill you but forcing it to sleep, allowing you to bring in a Set Up Sweeper). It also totally stops Aegislash by tanking any of its attacks and KOing Blade forme with uninvested Earthquake (so Sassy with 0 speed is advised).

I'm not very experienced with Hippo myself though. I know Hulavuta loves him so I'll wait to see what he has to add

I think a SpDef set needs it's own set instead of just OO. Just to put it's bulk into perspective, it has an 87.5% chance to live a Hydro Pump from Life Orb Greninja (so you could Yawn it, either forcing a switch while you Slack Off or letting it kill you but forcing it to sleep, allowing you to bring in a Set Up Sweeper). It also totally stops Aegislash by tanking any of its attacks and KOing Blade forme with uninvested Earthquake (so Sassy with 0 speed is advised).

I'm not very experienced with Hippo myself though. I know Hulavuta loves him so I'll wait to see what he has to add
Alright, I'll start to write it up soon.
Although I don't have a lot of experience with full SpDef hippo, the most investment i've ran is enough to avoid a 2hko from an aegislash shadow ball. I'm just wondering what item does that set normally run? Is it worth keeping helmet when you lose a lot of your physical bulk?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Rocky Helmet can still be used even without the physical investment, since with it + sandstorm recoil you'll still be getting nice chip damage. Sitrus Berry or Leftovers may also be good choices

Okay, SpDef set is up :)

I mentioned Sitrus and Smooth Rock under items since that's what the most used items were under Helmet and they both seem good enough to slash I think

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You should mention that Sandstorm breaks Focus Sashes in the overview. I think this is a pretty big selling point of Hippowdon: You break focus sashes with very little effort, even if you can't get SR up. Since Focus Sash is so nasty in this metagame, it's a pretty nice boon for the hippo!

Also, on the SpD set, I'd mention that bulky Talonflame can also spread around Will-O-Wisps to make Hippowdown's life easier.

Otherwise, good job on Hippo. QC Approved 1/3

You should mention that Sandstorm breaks Focus Sashes in the overview. I think this is a pretty big selling point of Hippowdon: You break focus sashes with very little effort, even if you can't get SR up. Since Focus Sash is so nasty in this metagame, it's a pretty nice boon for the hippo!

Also, on the SpD set, I'd mention that bulky Talonflame can also spread around Will-O-Wisps to make Hippowdown's life easier.

Otherwise, good job on Hippo. QC Approved 1/3
Really good point on the sashes, implemented.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ice Fang in OO for Mence/Chomp/Lando

I've also seen Stockpile Hippowdon (Stockpile/EQ/Toxic/Slack Off) which can be quite annoying if you don't have the residual damage to take it out. Might want to mention that in OO.

Leftovers in OO

QC Approved 3/3

Ice Fang in OO for Mence/Chomp/Lando

I've also seen Stockpile Hippowdon (Stockpile/EQ/Toxic/Slack Off) which can be quite annoying if you don't have the residual damage to take it out. Might want to mention that in OO.

Leftovers in OO

QC Approved 3/3
Will implement these, thanks.
I think i need to put everything in paragraph form before the third check though :x

But i'll be writing this out soon

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Will implement these, thanks.
I think i need to put everything in paragraph form before the third check though :x

But i'll be writing this out soon
It's cool, one of us will just check it again after you've written it up :)

Okay, this is written up now! I know it got checked a third time but I'll just let someone give it a quick look now that it's in paragraph form just in case there's anything else that should be added.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks good :)

Some Hippos let other pokemon set up rocks and has Yawn/Whirlwind in the same set, making you take two SR damage in one turn.

Might also want to include Mega Sableye in checks and counters. If there's one pokemon Hippo doesn't enjoy seeing, it's that.

Looks good :)

Some Hippos let other pokemon set up rocks and has Yawn/Whirlwind in the same set, making you take two SR damage in one turn.

Might also want to include Mega Sableye in checks and counters. If there's one pokemon Hippo doesn't enjoy seeing, it's that.
Alright, thanks. I'll add these in.

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

Make sure to replace every instance of "Hippowdown" in this analysis with "Hippowdon".

Overview
########
In the midst of a powerful sandstorm, Hippowdown is able to take on some of the strongest Pokemon in the format metagame. With a Rocky Helmet and reliable recovery, Hippowdown can wall threatening physical attackers such as Blaziken and Mega Kangaskhan. Between Rocky Helmet, sand damage, and even recoil for Pokemon such as Blaziken and Talonflame, physical attackers will be taking a good chunk of damage without Hippowdown even needing to attack. Hippowdown can even check special attackers as well if invested for it. The very prominent Aegislash easily falls to Hippowdown'(apostrophe)s high defenses and STAB Earthquake. Sand Stream is a fantastic ability which gets chip damage that can end up being crucial. It's also very useful for breaking Focus Sashes with ease, making troublesome Focus Sash users like such as Breloom easier to deal with. It can also work as a good way to remove other weather if need be. Hippowdown's use of access to Yawn is great thanks to the lack of sleep clause in Battle Spot.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) with Yawn's two turn mechanic, it forces a lot of switches. This works well in conjunction with Stealth Rocks, punishing your opponent (opponent = the opposing player, foe = opposing Pokémon) foes for attempting to avoid being put to sleep. But However, Hippowdown suffers from a very low Speed tier and will almost always be moving last., (full stop/period -> comma) and it heavily relies on support moves, (AC) and is making it an easy target for Taunt users such as Thundurus. Overall, Hippowdown is a great option if you need a defensive backbone to deal with powerful threats. (the first part of the overview already established that Hippowdon is good at dealing with powerful threats)

Rocky Helmet Wall
########
move 1:(space)Slack Off
move 2:(space)Yawn
move 3:(space)Stealth Rock(space)/(space)Whirlwind
move 4:(space)Earthquake(space)/(space)Rock Tomb
ability:(space)Sand Stream
item:(space)Rocky Helmet
evs:(space)252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 spe
nature:(space)Relaxed

Moves
========
(this can all just be one paragraph)
Slack Off is what makes Hippowdown great at what it does.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) Hippowdown can use Slack Off to keep itself as healthy as possible while being attacked. Thanks to sand and Rocky Helmet, the opponent foe will still be taking a good amount of damage while you Hippowdon recovers. Yawn and Stealth Rock go hand in hand.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) Yawn's two turn mechanic allows the opponent gives the foe a chance to switch out and avoid being put to sleep., (full stop/period -> comma) and when Stealth Rocks are is up you Hippowdon can safely continuously use Yawn, forcing the opponent to either let something sleep or take too much damage from rocks Stealth Rock and sand. If you choose to use run Stealth Rock on another Pokemon, Whirlwind can be used instead, (AC) and as it really messes with the opponent's switches and racks up even more residual damage from rocks. It's also nice for phazing out sweepers and Minimize users, as Whirlwind will always work even against foes with evasion boosts in Gen 6. Earthquake is Hippowdown's main form of offense, a strong STAB move coming off a respectable attack for a defensive Pokemon. It hits many Pokemon it would like to check super effectively, such as Blaziken, Mawile, and Aegislash and others (the use of "such as" already gives the impression that there are others and the listed ones are just a few examples). Rock Tomb is a good alternative to hit Talonflame and lower a pokemon's the foe's Speed, (AC) but it doesn't hit nearly as hard in most situations.

Set Details
========
(this can all be one para)
Maximum Defense and HP are is used because Hippowdown is meant to check the strongest of physical attackers and the full investment helps as much as possible. Rocky Helmet is the essential item which that ensures Hippowdown can check Mega Kangaskhan, being able to do extra damage thanks to the latter's Parental Bond ability. Minimum Speed is desired to underspeed all Aegislash, managing to hit them with Earthquake in their frailer Blade forme. Along with that Additionally, it can be helpful against Trick Room teams, most notably underspeeding Brave Mega Mawile most notably.

Usage Tips
========

Hippowdown fits very well on balance teams. (this sentence is more appropriate for Team Options IMO) Hippowdown can take hits from threatening attackers like such as Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, (AC) and Blaziken, instead of allowing your Pokemon to be revenge killed by them. It can also serve nicely as a lead by immediately dishing out setting up Stealth Rock and spreading sleep with Yawn. Setting Stealth Rocks up fast allows Focus Sashes to be broken early and provides some chip damage that could be very helpful to put something a foe in KO range for your other Pokemon., (full stop/period -> comma) but Hippowdown also works just as well mid-(hyphen)game or whenever it is needed most. You should be cautious leading with Hippowdown, (AC) as you often won't want to lose it too quickly in the match. Slack Off should be used wisely and not neglected. Keeping Hippowdown healthy can be important,; (comma -> semicolon) losing it too early could make you susceptible to something late-(hyphen)game to a foe that Hippowdown could have checked. The power of thing foes such as Mega Kangaskhan, Blaziken, and Aegislash and others should not be underestimated, (AC) and Hippowdown still has to be careful not to fall early to them. Whenever you decide to set up Stealth Rocks or use yawn, (AC) make sure you're Hippowdon is healthy enough to do so. Try to keep you sand up as long as you still need it., (full stop/period -> comma) as the chip damage can be great and softens pokemon foes up for your other Hippowdon's teammates. You should keep in mind that continuously using Yawn is a viable option, (AC) as it prevents the opponent from bringing in a counter to Hippowdown without getting punished.

Team Options
========

Fast and frail sweepers such as Charizard, Mega Lucario, Greninja, and Blaziken appreciate Hippowdown's ability to deal with opposing Blaziken and Talonflame.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) with the priority and Speed Boost revenge killers out of the way, (AC) they can have an easier time cleaning up teams late-(hyphen)game. Charizard, Mega Lucario, Greninja, Blaziken and other pokemon of their nature all fit well with Hippowdown. Although it does not have particularly good type synergy with Hippowdon, Excadrill, although not synergizing particularly well typing wise, becomes very threatening with Hippowdown's sand up thanks to Sand Rush. Especially after Hippowdown has helped weakened teams, Excadrill can have an easy time picking off the rest of a team with boosted Speed and naturally high Attack. Heavy hitters like Aegislash and Mega Kangaskhan work well with Hippowdown. Once Hippowdown has weakened some pokemon foes with its numerous ways of doing inflicting chip damage, (AC) (sand, Yawn+Rocks, Rocky Helmet) they become closer to KO range from the likes of these strong pokemon heavy hitters such as Aegislash and Mega Kangaskhan.

Specially Defensive
########
move 1:Slack Off
move 2:Yawn
move 3:Stealth Rock/Whirlwind
move 4:Earthquake
ability:Sand Stream
item:Rocky Helmet/Sitrus Berry/Smooth Rock
evs:252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
(just like with the phys def set, put spaces after the colons and slashes here)
Moves
========

Slack Off allows Hippowdown to stay healthy; (semicolon) and keep up in the match. Being able to tack it can tank a hit, dish one out itself, (AC) and proceed to recover. Yawn spreads sleep around and forces switches thanks to its two turn mechanic, working well with Stealth Rocks to create extra chip damage. If Should you choose to use Stealth Rock on another Pokemon, Whirlwind can be used instead and really is an option to messes with the opponent's switches and racks up even more damage from Stealth Rocks. (made a couple of small prose changes in the sentence about Whirlwind to differentiate it from the equivalent in the phys def set) Earthquake is Hippowdown's strongest STAB move and is necessary to deal with Pokemon that Hippowdown threatens most. It can do a great amount of damage to Aegislash and Heatran, (AC) among others pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Defense is used to patch up Hippowdown's weaker side and let it Hippowdon take hits from powerful special attackers. It can live strong hits and proceed to use Yawn on them. Minimum Speed is used to receive have the best match(remove space)up against Aegislash as possible. With Special Defense investment, (AC) Hippowdown becomes a fantastic counter to Aegislash.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) it is able to take any hit and knock it out in return, as it will always be attacking after Aegislash and hitting its frailer Blade forme. Rocky Helmet is the item of choice to get some chip damage, (AC) and it allows Hippowdown to scare physical attackers even without a lot of EV Defense investment for them. Sitrus Berry can be used for recovery on turns you use Yawn or Earthquake instead of Slack Off. Smooth Rock allows sand to be up longer and can be helpful for more turns of chip damage or to support other Pokemon on your team, such as an Excadrill or Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

Hippowdown fits well on balance teams. (this sentence better fits Team Options IMO) It Hippowdon can be an annoyance to special attackers and should be coming in and trying to put them to sleep or weakening them with Earthquake. This set lacks physical investment, so it should not be brought directly in on certain physical powerhouses such as Blaziken and Mega Kangaskhan, but it can still serve as a check to them with Rocky Helmet.

Team Options
========

Pokemon who that only need a bit of chip damage on certain pokemon foes to manage to KO them, such as Blaziken and Mega Lucario, appreciate Stealth Rocks and Hippowdown's other forms of chip damage. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Aegislash gone work well with Hippowdown as their partner. Mega Kangaskhan and Salamence appreciate the removal of Aegislash, (AC) being gone as they can more freely use their STAB attacks and not worry about the dreaded sword. Talonflame also likes having Aegislash gone removed so it doesn't need to play King's Shield mind games and can spam Brave Bird without it switching in. It also likes the rocks and sand damage residual damage that Hippowdown provides. Bulky Talonflame can be a good partner by spreading burns with Will-O-Wisp, putting less pressure on Hippowdown's uninvested physical side Defense (it does have HP investment so there's not a complete lack of physical bulk). Excadrill becomes a threatening Pokemon capable of cleaning up teams with Hippowdown's sand up thanks to the speed boost from Sand Rush.(space)Porygon(remove space)2 can be used as an extra defensive Pokemon to work with Hippowdown.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) together, they can be hard to break without a dedicated wallbreaker.

Other Options
########

Toxic can be useful for wearing down defensive Pokemon like such as Porygon2 and Cresselia. Leftovers is a good option for your item choice on certain sets, providing nice passive recovery each turn. Ice Fang can be used to hit Salamence, Garchomp, (AC) and Landorus-Therian, whoich are all prevalent threats. Sets utilizing Stockpile and Toxic can work well against unprepared teams and are almost impossible to break when put in the right position.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-(hyphen)types**: Bulky Water-types in particular cause a lot of problems for Hippowdown. Most Water-(hyphen)types are special attackers, (AC) so they will always be hitting Hippowdown's weaker side Hippowdon for super effective damage on its weaker Special Defense, meaning that and Hippo it can(remove space)not afford to stay in to Yawn. It also fears being burned by Scald, (AC) as the residual damage significantly weakens hinders Hippowdown's ability to stay in the match. Rotom-W, Suicune, and Slowbro are all common sights and nightmares for Hippowdown.

**Grass-(hyphen)types**: Grass-(hyphen)types can do heavy damage to Hippowdown and take very little damage from Earthquake, (AC) and so it is not really worth staying in to Yawn against them. Earthquake will also be doing close to no damage. Breloom and Venusaur are extremely threatening in particular are extremely threatening, as they can put Hippowdown to sleep even if you wanted to try to yawn them before it can use Yawn.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Hippowdown's uninvested Special Defense(unless utilizing a specially defensive set) is not amazing. Most powerful special attackers, like such as Greninja,(RC) and Mega Charizard Y and others, are capable of doing heavy damage to Hippowdown, (AC) and unless you it can KO them with Earthquake or have has already yawned them as they switched in hit them with Yawn on the switch, it is often not worth staying in and because they may be doing more damage than you are Hippowdon is able to recover.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Hippowdown excels only against very offensive Pokemon. Pokemon like such as Cresselia and Porygon2 can be very troublesome for Hippowdown., (full stop/period -> comma) as they can toxic you use Toxic on it, attack with STAB special attacks, (AC) and recover off most damage you it does. Putting them to sleep is nice useful, (AC) but something like foes such as Cresselia, whoich sometimes carries Rest anyway, might not even care.

**Taunt**: Hippowdown's most important moves are stopped by Taunt. Taunt is not the most common of moves, (AC) in the world but when you come across it, it Taunt users such as... will shut down Hippowdown really well. (notable examples of Taunt users?)

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye is a full on hard counter to anything Hippowdown wants to do., (full stop/period -> comma) as Magic Bounce nullifies Yawn, Stealth Rock, (AC) and Whirlwind and then uses it against you by bouncing them back. It Mega Sableye can also burn Hippowdown, (AC) making Earthquake do pitiful damage. Hippowdown is easy total set(remove space)up bait for Mega Sableye and it's very scary for it to see.

GP 1/2

Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

Make sure to replace every instance of "Hippowdown" in this analysis with "Hippowdon".

Overview
########
In the midst of a powerful sandstorm, Hippowdown is able to take on some of the strongest Pokemon in the format metagame. With a Rocky Helmet and reliable recovery, Hippowdown can wall threatening physical attackers such as Blaziken and Mega Kangaskhan. Between Rocky Helmet, sand damage, and even recoil for Pokemon such as Blaziken and Talonflame, physical attackers will be taking a good chunk of damage without Hippowdown even needing to attack. Hippowdown can even check special attackers as well if invested for it. The very prominent Aegislash easily falls to Hippowdown'(apostrophe)s high defenses and STAB Earthquake. Sand Stream is a fantastic ability which gets chip damage that can end up being crucial. It's also very useful for breaking Focus Sashes with ease, making troublesome Focus Sash users like such as Breloom easier to deal with. It can also work as a good way to remove other weather if need be. Hippowdown's use of access to Yawn is great thanks to the lack of sleep clause in Battle Spot.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) with Yawn's two turn mechanic, it forces a lot of switches. This works well in conjunction with Stealth Rocks, punishing your opponent (opponent = the opposing player, foe = opposing Pokémon) foes for attempting to avoid being put to sleep. But However, Hippowdown suffers from a very low Speed tier and will almost always be moving last., (full stop/period -> comma) and it heavily relies on support moves, (AC) and is making it an easy target for Taunt users such as Thundurus. Overall, Hippowdown is a great option if you need a defensive backbone to deal with powerful threats. (the first part of the overview already established that Hippowdon is good at dealing with powerful threats)

Rocky Helmet Wall
########
move 1:(space)Slack Off
move 2:(space)Yawn
move 3:(space)Stealth Rock(space)/(space)Whirlwind
move 4:(space)Earthquake(space)/(space)Rock Tomb
ability:(space)Sand Stream
item:(space)Rocky Helmet
evs:(space)252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature:(space)Relaxed

Moves
========
(this can all just be one paragraph)
Slack Off is what makes Hippowdown great at what it does.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) Hippowdown can use Slack Off to keep itself as healthy as possible while being attacked. Thanks to sand and Rocky Helmet, the opponent foe will still be taking a good amount of damage while you Hippowdon recovers. Yawn and Stealth Rock go hand in hand.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) Yawn's two turn mechanic allows the opponent gives the foe a chance to switch out and avoid being put to sleep., (full stop/period -> comma) and when Stealth Rocks are is up you Hippowdon can safely continuously use Yawn, forcing the opponent to either let something sleep or take too much damage from rocks Stealth Rock and sand. If you choose to use run Stealth Rock on another Pokemon, Whirlwind can be used instead, (AC) and as it really messes with the opponent's switches and racks up even more residual damage from rocks. It's also nice for phazing out sweepers and Minimize users, as Whirlwind will always work even against foes with evasion boosts in Gen 6. Earthquake is Hippowdown's main form of offense, a strong STAB move coming off a respectable attack for a defensive Pokemon. It hits many Pokemon it would like to check super effectively, such as Blaziken, Mawile, and Aegislash and others (the use of "such as" already gives the impression that there are others and the listed ones are just a few examples). Rock Tomb is a good alternative to hit Talonflame and lower a pokemon's the foe's Speed, (AC) but it doesn't hit nearly as hard in most situations.

Set Details
========
(this can all be one para)
Maximum Defense and HP are is used because Hippowdown is meant to check the strongest of physical attackers and the full investment helps as much as possible. Rocky Helmet is the essential item which that ensures Hippowdown can check Mega Kangaskhan, being able to do extra damage thanks to the latter's Parental Bond ability. Minimum Speed is desired to underspeed all Aegislash, managing to hit them with Earthquake in their frailer Blade forme. Along with that Additionally, it can be helpful against Trick Room teams, most notably underspeeding Brave Mega Mawile most notably.

Usage Tips
========

Hippowdown fits very well on balance teams. (this sentence is more appropriate for Team Options IMO) Hippowdown can take hits from threatening attackers like such as Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, (AC) and Blaziken, instead of allowing your Pokemon to be revenge killed by them. It can also serve nicely as a lead by immediately dishing out setting up Stealth Rock and spreading sleep with Yawn. Setting Stealth Rocks up fast allows Focus Sashes to be broken early and provides some chip damage that could be very helpful to put something a foe in KO range for your other Pokemon., (full stop/period -> comma) but Hippowdown also works just as well mid-(hyphen)game or whenever it is needed most. You should be cautious leading with Hippowdown, (AC) as you often won't want to lose it too quickly in the match. Slack Off should be used wisely and not neglected. Keeping Hippowdown healthy can be important,; (comma -> semicolon) losing it too early could make you susceptible to something late-(hyphen)game to a foe that Hippowdown could have checked. The power of thing foes such as Mega Kangaskhan, Blaziken, and Aegislash and others should not be underestimated, (AC) and Hippowdown still has to be careful not to fall early to them. Whenever you decide to set up Stealth Rocks or use yawn, (AC) make sure you're Hippowdon is healthy enough to do so. Try to keep you sand up as long as you still need it., (full stop/period -> comma) as the chip damage can be great and softens pokemon foes up for your other Hippowdon's teammates. You should keep in mind that continuously using Yawn is a viable option, (AC) as it prevents the opponent from bringing in a counter to Hippowdown without getting punished.

Team Options
========

Fast and frail sweepers such as Charizard, Mega Lucario, Greninja, and Blaziken appreciate Hippowdown's ability to deal with opposing Blaziken and Talonflame.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) with the priority and Speed Boost revenge killers out of the way, (AC) they can have an easier time cleaning up teams late-(hyphen)game. Charizard, Mega Lucario, Greninja, Blaziken and other pokemon of their nature all fit well with Hippowdown. Although it does not have particularly good type synergy with Hippowdon, Excadrill, although not synergizing particularly well typing wise, becomes very threatening with Hippowdown's sand up thanks to Sand Rush. Especially after Hippowdown has helped weakened teams, Excadrill can have an easy time picking off the rest of a team with boosted Speed and naturally high Attack. Heavy hitters like Aegislash and Mega Kangaskhan work well with Hippowdown. Once Hippowdown has weakened some pokemon foes with its numerous ways of doing inflicting chip damage, (AC) (sand, Yawn+Rocks, Rocky Helmet) they become closer to KO range from the likes of these strong pokemon heavy hitters such as Aegislash and Mega Kangaskhan.

Specially Defensive
########
move 1:Slack Off
move 2:Yawn
move 3:Stealth Rock/Whirlwind
move 4:Earthquake
ability:Sand Stream
item:Rocky Helmet/Sitrus Berry/Smooth Rock
evs:252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
(just like with the phys def set, put spaces after the colons and slashes here)
Moves
========

Slack Off allows Hippowdown to stay healthy; (semicolon) and keep up in the match. Being able to tack it can tank a hit, dish one out itself, (AC) and proceed to recover. Yawn spreads sleep around and forces switches thanks to its two turn mechanic, working well with Stealth Rocks to create extra chip damage. If Should you choose to use Stealth Rock on another Pokemon, Whirlwind can be used instead and really is an option to messes with the opponent's switches and racks up even more damage from Stealth Rocks. (made a couple of small prose changes in the sentence about Whirlwind to differentiate it from the equivalent in the phys def set) Earthquake is Hippowdown's strongest STAB move and is necessary to deal with Pokemon that Hippowdown threatens most. It can do a great amount of damage to Aegislash and Heatran, (AC) among others pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Defense is used to patch up Hippowdown's weaker side and let it Hippowdon take hits from powerful special attackers. It can live strong hits and proceed to use Yawn on them. Minimum Speed is used to receive have the best match(remove space)up against Aegislash as possible. With Special Defense investment, (AC) Hippowdown becomes a fantastic counter to Aegislash.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) it is able to take any hit and knock it out in return, as it will always be attacking after Aegislash and hitting its frailer Blade forme. Rocky Helmet is the item of choice to get some chip damage, (AC) and it allows Hippowdown to scare physical attackers even without a lot of EV Defense investment for them. Sitrus Berry can be used for recovery on turns you use Yawn or Earthquake instead of Slack Off. Smooth Rock allows sand to be up longer and can be helpful for more turns of chip damage or to support other Pokemon on your team, such as an Excadrill or Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

Hippowdown fits well on balance teams. (this sentence better fits Team Options IMO) It Hippowdon can be an annoyance to special attackers and should be coming in and trying to put them to sleep or weakening them with Earthquake. This set lacks physical investment, so it should not be brought directly in on certain physical powerhouses such as Blaziken and Mega Kangaskhan, but it can still serve as a check to them with Rocky Helmet.

Team Options
========

Pokemon who that only need a bit of chip damage on certain pokemon foes to manage to KO them, such as Blaziken and Mega Lucario, appreciate Stealth Rocks and Hippowdown's other forms of chip damage. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Aegislash gone work well with Hippowdown as their partner. Mega Kangaskhan and Salamence appreciate the removal of Aegislash, (AC) being gone as they can more freely use their STAB attacks and not worry about the dreaded sword. Talonflame also likes having Aegislash gone removed so it doesn't need to play King's Shield mind games and can spam Brave Bird without it switching in. It also likes the rocks and sand damage residual damage that Hippowdown provides. Bulky Talonflame can be a good partner by spreading burns with Will-O-Wisp, putting less pressure on Hippowdown's uninvested physical side Defense (it does have HP investment so there's not a complete lack of physical bulk). Excadrill becomes a threatening Pokemon capable of cleaning up teams with Hippowdown's sand up thanks to the speed boost from Sand Rush.(space)Porygon(remove space)2 can be used as an extra defensive Pokemon to work with Hippowdown.; (full stop/period -> semicolon) together, they can be hard to break without a dedicated wallbreaker.

Other Options
########

Toxic can be useful for wearing down defensive Pokemon like such as Porygon2 and Cresselia. Leftovers is a good option for your item choice on certain sets, providing nice passive recovery each turn. Ice Fang can be used to hit Salamence, Garchomp, (AC) and Landorus-Therian, whoich are all prevalent threats. Sets utilizing Stockpile and Toxic can work well against unprepared teams and are almost impossible to break when put in the right position.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-(hyphen)types**: Bulky Water-types in particular cause a lot of problems for Hippowdown. Most Water-(hyphen)types are special attackers, (AC) so they will always be hitting Hippowdown's weaker side Hippowdon for super effective damage on its weaker Special Defense, meaning that and Hippo it can(remove space)not afford to stay in to Yawn. It also fears being burned by Scald, (AC) as the residual damage significantly weakens hinders Hippowdown's ability to stay in the match. Rotom-W, Suicune, and Slowbro are all common sights and nightmares for Hippowdown.

**Grass-(hyphen)types**: Grass-(hyphen)types can do heavy damage to Hippowdown and take very little damage from Earthquake, (AC) and so it is not really worth staying in to Yawn against them. Earthquake will also be doing close to no damage. Breloom and Venusaur are extremely threatening in particular are extremely threatening, as they can put Hippowdown to sleep even if you wanted to try to yawn them before it can use Yawn.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Hippowdown's uninvested Special Defense(unless utilizing a specially defensive set) is not amazing. Most powerful special attackers, like such as Greninja,(RC) and Mega Charizard Y and others, are capable of doing heavy damage to Hippowdown, (AC) and unless you it can KO them with Earthquake or have has already yawned them as they switched in hit them with Yawn on the switch, it is often not worth staying in and because they may be doing more damage than you are Hippowdon is able to recover.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Hippowdown excels only against very offensive Pokemon. Pokemon like such as Cresselia and Porygon2 can be very troublesome for Hippowdown., (full stop/period -> comma) as they can toxic you use Toxic on it, attack with STAB special attacks, (AC) and recover off most damage you it does. Putting them to sleep is nice useful, (AC) but something like foes such as Cresselia, whoich sometimes carries Rest anyway, might not even care.

**Taunt**: Hippowdown's most important moves are stopped by Taunt. Taunt is not the most common of moves, (AC) in the world but when you come across it, it Taunt users such as... will shut down Hippowdown really well. (notable examples of Taunt users?)

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye is a full on hard counter to anything Hippowdown wants to do., (full stop/period -> comma) as Magic Bounce nullifies Yawn, Stealth Rock, (AC) and Whirlwind and then uses it against you by bouncing them back. It Mega Sableye can also burn Hippowdown, (AC) making Earthquake do pitiful damage. Hippowdown is easy total set(remove space)up bait for Mega Sableye and it's very scary for it to see.

GP 1/2
Just implemented all this :)

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2
Overview
########
In the midst of a powerful sandstorm, Hippowdon is able to take on some of the strongest Pokemon in the metagame. With Rocky Helmet and reliable recovery, Hippowdon can wall threatening physical attackers such as Blaziken and Mega Kangaskhan. Between Rocky Helmet, sand damage, and even recoil for Pokemon such as Blaziken and Talonflame, physical attackers will be taking a good chunk of damage without Hippowdon even needing to attack. Hippowdon can even check special attackers as well if invested for it. The very prominent Aegislash easily falls to Hippowdon(fix apostrophe)s high defenses and STAB Earthquake. Sand Stream is a fantastic ability which gets chip damage that can end up being crucial. It's also very useful for breaking Focus Sashes, making troublesome Focus Sash users such as Breloom easier to deal with. It can also work as a good way to remove other weather if need be. Hippowdon's access to Yawn is great thanks to the lack of Sleep Clause in Battle Spot; with Yawn's two turn mechanic, it forces a lot of switches. This works well in conjunction with Stealth Rock, punishing foes for attempting to avoid being put to sleep. However, Hippowdon suffers from a very low Speed tier and will almost always be moving last, and it heavily relies on support moves, making it an easy target for Taunt users such as Thundurus.

Rocky Helmet Wall
########

Moves
========

Slack Off is what makes Hippowdon great at what it does; Hippowdon can use Slack Off to keep itself as healthy as possible while being attacked. Thanks to sand and Rocky Helmet, the foe will still be taking a good amount of damage while Hippowdon recovers. Yawn and Stealth Rock go hand in hand; Yawn's two turn mechanic gives the foe a chance to switch out and avoid being put to sleep, and when Stealth Rock is up Hippowdon can safely continuously use Yawn, forcing the opponent to either let something sleep or take too much damage from Stealth Rock and sand. If you choose to run Stealth Rock on another Pokemon, Whirlwind can be used instead, as it really messes with the opponent's switches and racks up even more residual damage. It's also nice for phazing out sweepers and Minimize users, as Whirlwind will always work even against foes with evasion boosts. Earthquake is Hippowdon's main form of offense, a strong STAB move coming off a respectable Attack for a defensive Pokemon. It hits many Pokemon it Hippowdon would like to check super effectively, such as Blaziken, Mawile, and Aegislash. Rock Tomb is a good alternative to hit Talonflame and lower the foe(fix apostrophe)s Speed, but it doesn't hit nearly as hard in most situations.

Set Details
========

Maximum Defense and HP EVs are used because Hippowdon is meant to check the strongest of physical attackers. Rocky Helmet is the essential item that ensures Hippowdon can check Mega Kangaskhan, being able to do extra damage thanks to the latter(fix apostrophe)s Parental Bond ability. Minimum Speed is desired to underspeed all Aegislash, managing to so that Hippowdon can hit them with Earthquake in their frailer Blade forme. Additionally, it can be helpful against Trick Room teams, most notably underspeeding Brave Mega Mawile.

Usage Tips
========

Hippowdon can take hits from threatening attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, and Blaziken, instead of allowing protecting teammates from being your Pokemon to be revenge killed by them (is that what you meant? was kinda awkward before). It can also serve nicely as a lead by immediately setting up Stealth Rock and spreading sleep with Yawn. Setting Stealth Rock up fast allows Focus Sashes to be broken early and provides some chip damage that could be very helpful to put a foe in KO range for your other Pokemon, but Hippowdon works just as well mid-game or whenever it is needed most. You should be cautious leading with Hippowdon, as you often won't want to lose it too quickly in the match. Slack Off should be used wisely and not neglected. Keeping Hippowdon healthy can be important; losing it too early could make you susceptible late-game to a foe that Hippowdon could have checked. The power of foes such as Kangaskhan, Blaziken, and Aegislash should not be underestimated, and Hippowdon still has to be careful not to fall early to them. Whenever you decide to set up Stealth Rock or use Yawn(comma) make sure Hippowdon is healthy enough to do so. Try to keep sand up as long as you still need it, as the chip damage can be great and softens foes up for Hippowdon(fix apostrophe)s teammates. You should keep in mind that continuously using Yawn is a viable option, as it prevents the opponent from bringing in a counter to Hippowdon without getting punished.

Team Options
========

Hippowdon fits very well on balance teams. Fast and frail sweepers such as Charizard, Mega Lucario, Greninja, and Blaziken appreciate Hippowdon's ability to deal with opposing Blaziken and Talonflame; with the priority and Speed Boost revenge killers out of the way, they can have an easier time cleaning up teams late-game. Although it does not have particularly good type synergy with Hippowdon, Excadrill becomes very threatening with Hippowdon's sand up thanks to Sand Rush. Especially after Hippowdon has helped weakened teams, Excadrill can have an easy time picking off the rest of a team with its boosted Speed and naturally high Attack. Once Hippowdon has weakened foes with its numerous ways of inflicting chip damage, they become closer to KO range from for heavy hitters such as Aegislash and Mega Kangaskhan.

Specially Defensive
########

Moves
========

Slack Off allows Hippowdon to stay healthy; it can tank a hit, dish one out itself, and proceed to recover. Yawn spreads sleep around and forces switches thanks to its two turn mechanic, working well with Stealth Rock to create extra chip damage. Should you choose to use Stealth Rock on another Pokemon, Whirlwind is an option to mess with the opponent's switches and rack up even more damage from Stealth Rock. Earthquake is Hippowdon's strongest STAB move and is necessary to deal with Pokemon that Hippowdon threatens most. It can do a great amount of damage to Aegislash and Heatran, among others.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Defense investment is used to let Hippowdon take hits from powerful special attackers. It can live survive strong hits and proceed to use Yawn on them. Minimum Speed is used to have the best matchup against Aegislash as possible. With Special Defense investment(comma) Hippowdon becomes a fantastic counter to Aegislash; it is able to take any hit and knock it Aegislash out in return, as it will always be attacking after Aegislash and hitting its frailer Blade forme. Rocky Helmet is the item of choice to get some chip damage, and it allows Hippowdon to scare physical attackers even without Defense investment. Sitrus Berry can be used for recovery on turns you use Yawn or Earthquake instead of Slack Off. Smooth Rock allows sand to be up longer and can be helpful for more turns of chip damage or to support other Pokemon on your team, such as Excadrill or Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

Hippowdon can be an annoyance to special attackers and should be coming in and trying to put them to sleep or weakening them with Earthquake. This set lacks physical investment, so it should not be brought directly in on certain physical powerhouses such as Blaziken and Mega Kangaskhan, but it can still serve as a check to them with Rocky Helmet.

Team Options
========

Hippowdon fits well on balance teams. Pokemon that only need a bit of chip damage on certain foes to manage to KO them, such as Blaziken and Mega Lucario, appreciate Stealth Rock and Hippowdon's other forms of chip damage. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Aegislash work well with Hippowdon as their partner. Mega Kangaskhan and Salamence appreciate the removal of Aegislash(comma) as they can more freely use their STAB attacks. Talonflame also likes having Aegislash removed so that it doesn't need to play King's Shield mind games and can spam Brave Bird without it switching in. It also likes the residual damage that Hippowdon provides. Bulky Talonflame can be a good partner by spreading Will-O-Wisp, putting less pressure on Hippowdon's uninvested Defense. Excadrill becomes a threatening Pokemon capable of cleaning up teams with Hippowdon's sand up thanks to the speed boost from Sand Rush. Porygon2 can be used as an extra defensive Pokemon to work with Hippowdon; together, they can be hard to break without a dedicated wallbreaker.

Other Options
########

Toxic can be useful for wearing down defensive Pokemon such as Porygon2 and Cresselia. Leftovers is a good item choice on certain sets, providing nice passive recovery each turn. Ice Fang can be used to hit Salamence, Garchomp, and Landorus-T, which are all prevalent threats. Sets utilizing Stockpile and Toxic can work well against unprepared teams and are almost impossible to break when put in the right position.

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types in particular cause a lot of problems for Hippowdon. Most Water-types are special attackers(comma) so they will always be hitting Hippowdon for super effective damage on its weaker Special Defense, meaning that it cannot afford to stay in to use Yawn. It also fears being burned by Scald, as the residual damage significantly hinders Hippowdon's ability to stay in the match. Rotom-W, Suicune, and Slowbro are all common sights and nightmares for Hippowdon.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types can do heavy damage to Hippowdon and take very little damage from Earthquake, so it is not really worth staying in to Yawn against them. Breloom and Venusaur in particular are extremely threatening, as they can put Hippowdon to sleep before it can use Yawn.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Hippowdon's uninvested Special Defense is not amazing. Most powerful special attackers such as Greninja and Mega Charizard Y are capable of doing heavy damage to Hippowdon, and unless it can KO them with Earthquake or has already hit them with Yawn on the switch, it is often not worth staying in because they may be doing more damage than Hippowdon is able to recover.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Hippowdon excels only against very offensive Pokemon. Pokemon such as Cresselia and Porygon2 can be very troublesome for Hippowdon, as they can use Toxic on it, attack hit it ("attack with attacks" sounds kinda silly) with STAB special attacks, and recover off most damage it does. Putting them to sleep is useful, but foes such as Cresselia, which sometimes carries Rest anyway, might not even care.

**Taunt**: Hippowdon's most important moves are stopped by Taunt. Taunt is not the most common of moves, but Taunt users such as Gyarados and Thundurus will shut down Hippowdon really well.

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye is a hard counter to Hippowdon, as Magic Bounce nullifies Yawn, Stealth Rock, and Whirlwind by bouncing them back. Mega Sableye can also burn Hippowdon, making Earthquake do pitiful damage. Hippowdon is total setup bait for Mega Sableye.

GP 2/2
Overview
########
In the midst of a powerful sandstorm, Hippowdon is able to take on some of the strongest Pokemon in the metagame. With Rocky Helmet and reliable recovery, Hippowdon can wall threatening physical attackers such as Blaziken and Mega Kangaskhan. Between Rocky Helmet, sand damage, and even recoil for Pokemon such as Blaziken and Talonflame, physical attackers will be taking a good chunk of damage without Hippowdon even needing to attack. Hippowdon can even check special attackers as well if invested for it. The very prominent Aegislash easily falls to Hippowdon(fix apostrophe)s high defenses and STAB Earthquake. Sand Stream is a fantastic ability which gets chip damage that can end up being crucial. It's also very useful for breaking Focus Sashes, making troublesome Focus Sash users such as Breloom easier to deal with. It can also work as a good way to remove other weather if need be. Hippowdon's access to Yawn is great thanks to the lack of Sleep Clause in Battle Spot; with Yawn's two turn mechanic, it forces a lot of switches. This works well in conjunction with Stealth Rock, punishing foes for attempting to avoid being put to sleep. However, Hippowdon suffers from a very low Speed tier and will almost always be moving last, and it heavily relies on support moves, making it an easy target for Taunt users such as Thundurus.

Rocky Helmet Wall
########

Moves
========

Slack Off is what makes Hippowdon great at what it does; Hippowdon can use Slack Off to keep itself as healthy as possible while being attacked. Thanks to sand and Rocky Helmet, the foe will still be taking a good amount of damage while Hippowdon recovers. Yawn and Stealth Rock go hand in hand; Yawn's two turn mechanic gives the foe a chance to switch out and avoid being put to sleep, and when Stealth Rock is up Hippowdon can safely continuously use Yawn, forcing the opponent to either let something sleep or take too much damage from Stealth Rock and sand. If you choose to run Stealth Rock on another Pokemon, Whirlwind can be used instead, as it really messes with the opponent's switches and racks up even more residual damage. It's also nice for phazing out sweepers and Minimize users, as Whirlwind will always work even against foes with evasion boosts. Earthquake is Hippowdon's main form of offense, a strong STAB move coming off a respectable Attack for a defensive Pokemon. It hits many Pokemon it Hippowdon would like to check super effectively, such as Blaziken, Mawile, and Aegislash. Rock Tomb is a good alternative to hit Talonflame and lower the foe(fix apostrophe)s Speed, but it doesn't hit nearly as hard in most situations.

Set Details
========

Maximum Defense and HP EVs are used because Hippowdon is meant to check the strongest of physical attackers. Rocky Helmet is the essential item that ensures Hippowdon can check Mega Kangaskhan, being able to do extra damage thanks to the latter(fix apostrophe)s Parental Bond ability. Minimum Speed is desired to underspeed all Aegislash, managing to so that Hippowdon can hit them with Earthquake in their frailer Blade forme. Additionally, it can be helpful against Trick Room teams, most notably underspeeding Brave Mega Mawile.

Usage Tips
========

Hippowdon can take hits from threatening attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, and Blaziken, instead of allowing protecting teammates from being your Pokemon to be revenge killed by them (is that what you meant? was kinda awkward before). It can also serve nicely as a lead by immediately setting up Stealth Rock and spreading sleep with Yawn. Setting Stealth Rock up fast allows Focus Sashes to be broken early and provides some chip damage that could be very helpful to put a foe in KO range for your other Pokemon, but Hippowdon works just as well mid-game or whenever it is needed most. You should be cautious leading with Hippowdon, as you often won't want to lose it too quickly in the match. Slack Off should be used wisely and not neglected. Keeping Hippowdon healthy can be important; losing it too early could make you susceptible late-game to a foe that Hippowdon could have checked. The power of foes such as Kangaskhan, Blaziken, and Aegislash should not be underestimated, and Hippowdon still has to be careful not to fall early to them. Whenever you decide to set up Stealth Rock or use Yawn(comma) make sure Hippowdon is healthy enough to do so. Try to keep sand up as long as you still need it, as the chip damage can be great and softens foes up for Hippowdon(fix apostrophe)s teammates. You should keep in mind that continuously using Yawn is a viable option, as it prevents the opponent from bringing in a counter to Hippowdon without getting punished.

Team Options
========

Hippowdon fits very well on balance teams. Fast and frail sweepers such as Charizard, Mega Lucario, Greninja, and Blaziken appreciate Hippowdon's ability to deal with opposing Blaziken and Talonflame; with the priority and Speed Boost revenge killers out of the way, they can have an easier time cleaning up teams late-game. Although it does not have particularly good type synergy with Hippowdon, Excadrill becomes very threatening with Hippowdon's sand up thanks to Sand Rush. Especially after Hippowdon has helped weakened teams, Excadrill can have an easy time picking off the rest of a team with its boosted Speed and naturally high Attack. Once Hippowdon has weakened foes with its numerous ways of inflicting chip damage, they become closer to KO range from for heavy hitters such as Aegislash and Mega Kangaskhan.

Specially Defensive
########

Moves
========

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Defense investment is used to let Hippowdon take hits from powerful special attackers. It can live survive strong hits and proceed to use Yawn on them. Minimum Speed is used to have the best matchup against Aegislash as possible. With Special Defense investment(comma) Hippowdon becomes a fantastic counter to Aegislash; it is able to take any hit and knock it Aegislash out in return, as it will always be attacking after Aegislash and hitting its frailer Blade forme. Rocky Helmet is the item of choice to get some chip damage, and it allows Hippowdon to scare physical attackers even without Defense investment. Sitrus Berry can be used for recovery on turns you use Yawn or Earthquake instead of Slack Off. Smooth Rock allows sand to be up longer and can be helpful for more turns of chip damage or to support other Pokemon on your team, such as Excadrill or Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Hippowdon fits well on balance teams. Pokemon that only need a bit of chip damage on certain foes to manage to KO them, such as Blaziken and Mega Lucario, appreciate Stealth Rock and Hippowdon's other forms of chip damage. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Aegislash work well with Hippowdon as their partner. Mega Kangaskhan and Salamence appreciate the removal of Aegislash(comma) as they can more freely use their STAB attacks. Talonflame also likes having Aegislash removed so that it doesn't need to play King's Shield mind games and can spam Brave Bird without it switching in. It also likes the residual damage that Hippowdon provides. Bulky Talonflame can be a good partner by spreading Will-O-Wisp, putting less pressure on Hippowdon's uninvested Defense. Excadrill becomes a threatening Pokemon capable of cleaning up teams with Hippowdon's sand up thanks to the speed boost from Sand Rush. Porygon2 can be used as an extra defensive Pokemon to work with Hippowdon; together, they can be hard to break without a dedicated wallbreaker.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types in particular cause a lot of problems for Hippowdon. Most Water-types are special attackers(comma) so they will always be hitting Hippowdon for super effective damage on its weaker Special Defense, meaning that it cannot afford to stay in to use Yawn. It also fears being burned by Scald, as the residual damage significantly hinders Hippowdon's ability to stay in the match. Rotom-W, Suicune, and Slowbro are all common sights and nightmares for Hippowdon.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Hippowdon excels only against very offensive Pokemon. Pokemon such as Cresselia and Porygon2 can be very troublesome for Hippowdon, as they can use Toxic on it, attack hit it ("attack with attacks" sounds kinda silly) with STAB special attacks, and recover off most damage it does. Putting them to sleep is useful, but foes such as Cresselia, which sometimes carries Rest anyway, might not even care.

Implemented :) thanks a lot

This is done now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)