The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

When I first started playing I didn't know how to save, so I kept my game on for weeks on its charger. At some point I almost beat the game, but one morning I left for school and forgot to plug the game back in.
I lost everything. Even my shiny Wurmple
Wow, that is just plain awful.

I was playing XY and then I bought an Air balloon from the battle maison. I gave it to my solar power Heliolisk then I started to go to the friend safari to KO wild Audino. At that time the exp share was on and I decided to train my low leveled pokemon through it.

I sent out my Heliolisk and I forgot that it was holding that air balloon that I bought and then I used thunder at the wild Audino. It missed and then the Audino used Take down on my Heliolisk, destroying the Air balloon permanently. I had to regain all those points to buy another one.

Last edited:
I was playing XY and then I bought an Air balloon from the battle maison. I gave it to my solar power Heliolisk then I started to go to the friend safari to KO wild Audino. At that time the exp share was on and I decided to train my low leveled pokemon through it.

I sent out my Heliolisk and I forgot that it was holding that air balloon that I bought and then I used thunder at the wild Audino. It missed and then the Audino used Take down on my Heliolisk, destroying the Air balloon permanently. I had to regain all those points to buy another one.
I would've probably just soft-reset. Oh well, I guess this is a lesson you won't ever forget. ALWAYS make sure that you take off the one-use items when you decide to train. I'll inevitably have to do this with My Pet Sword's Weakness Policy when I decide to level him up as well.

I'm not sure if this is entirely worthy, but I'd played about an hour or two on my Alpha Sapphire game in the post-game, and was 'catching them all'. As it were, I flew to the Pokémon League (by this point, I had not realized that you could just fly to the Victory Road Pokémon Centre instead), and was going to evolve some Level 1's I had to fill up my Pokédex. Then my friend distracted me and I looked over at him, and my finger held down on the 'up' button instead of 'down' on the D-Pad.

I ended up rematching the Pokémon League and their Level 70's with a Level 60 Volcarona and 5 Level 1 Pokémon.

I hit said friend, and he still has a bruise to this day.

I just wasted all of the EVs I gave my Sylveon since I accidently mixed up Defense and Special Defense, meaning I had to use the Reset Bag I was saving for my Adamant Ruby Groudon. *sigh* Time to try again...

Last edited:
I just wasted all of the EVs I gave my Sylveon since I accidently mixed up Defense and Special Defense, meaning I had to use the Reset Bag I was saving for my Adamant Ruby Groudon. *sigh* Time to try again...
EV reducing berries still exist, y'know?

Also... Not really facepalm worthy, but I have two anecdotes to share regarding my FS:
  1. I asked somebody what my FS was and they only told me the type -.- Lazy
  2. As many of you (should) know, the type that I most hate is Fairy. Now, take a quick glance at my signature, and let that sink in for a moment.

Last edited:
I was playing ruby as a kid, I was at mt. Pyre when I ran into a wild vulpix. Go masterball.

Also, whenever I encountered latios I would reset my game regardless of when I last saved because I thought it was forever gone, and i wouldn't have another chance capturing it.

EV reducing berries still exist, y'know?

Also... Not really facepalm worthy, but I have two anecdotes to share regarding my FS:
  1. I asked somebody what my FS was and they only told me the type -.- Lazy
  2. As many of you (should) know, the type that I most hate is Fairy. Now, take a quick glance at my signature, and let that sink in for a moment.
Yeah, I never use the reset bag, just berries.

Yeah, I never use the reset bag, just berries.
All I've used the Reset Bag for so far is keeping check on the numbers of EVs. If I'm unsure or if I feel I've miscounted, I save and use the Reset Bag, just to let me know whether I'm on track or not. Then I restart the game and make adjustments if necessary.

The first time I played Red Version when I was like 5 I really wanted Articuno, so I asked all my friends where I could find it before the internet was an awesome thing, spent two days in that cave because I kept getting lost, and then when I started fighting Articuno I couldn't remember if I brought my masterball and ran from the battle to check my bag. After realizing that Articuno disappeared when I ran, I got upset and used my masterball on a Psyduck instead because it could evolve into Golduck and I thought that was kinda cool.

EDIT: The first time I played through Silver I must have been some sort of genius because I solo'd the game all the way to Bruno with a Typhlosion that only knew fire type attacks.

Last edited:
A long long time ago (in a galaxy far away)

In my first ever pokemon Blue playing (keep In ming i had no idea how anything worked cuz i was like 5.)

1. Thinking my game was broken because Antidotes didn't have any effect on my Ivysaur (i thought they were potions.)

2. Using master ball on a venomoth because i needed the pokedex number for the Exp Share.

3. Trying to beat Articuno and catch it. With 10 poke balls. And Venusuar.

4. Failing at the Pokemon Mansion at Cinnibar

That play though ended with me stuck in Pokemon Mansion.

Years later, in FR, i solved all of these problems, proudly walked into Cinnibar gym……

And led with Articuno.

I really didn't know type matchup back then...

I was about 12 years old and I had been playing Pokémon since I was 6, so I basically knew a lot. I just came home from a very exhausting day and I started up my Pokémon Ruby game to continue where I left off: The Elite Four. The first Pokémon Sidney sent out was Mightyena. It didn't have the Poké Ball sign next to it so I wanted to catch it. I actually opened my bag threw an Ultra Ball. The ball bounced off.. I didn't understand. Only then I realized I couldn't catch opposing trainer's Pokémon. I literally facepalmed and just sat there for 15 minutes. I felt like huge noob.

The worst thing I did In pokemon was when I was in fifth grade. I decided to use my masterball on a steelix on iron island. I also killed dialga and never saved in front of dialga so it took a while before I actually caught it.

When I first got Silver (my first version), I had to ring my friend to ask him how to leave the house. Even after he said "walk through the door" I bumbled around for about half hour till I realised where the door was. Shameful really

I completely forgot that Binacle exists. I forgot it so hard that I thought I had never seen it ever in my life (according to my Pokédex in Y, I've seen at least one before today, a year and a half after the release of X and Y) I swore that it's even uglier evolved form, Barbaracle, was a Pokémon without evolutionary relatives, like Snorlax or Farfetch'd. Hell, to be honest, I often forget Barbaracle, but I at least remember it when I see it.

Two from a tournament I was at for my club on Saturday.

First, Multi Battles. I have a Thundurus-T out alongside his Galvantula, our opponents have and Amoongus and a Barbarcle out. So, I decide to switch to my Skarmory to get some hazards up and Phaze Barb in case he tries to Shell Smash. However, I forgot to consult with my partner, and I get struck by a Thunder intended to heal my partner. Match was ragequit at that point.

Then next round: I have Landorus-I and Thundurus-T left vs a Magnezone. However, because I failed to read the text, I use Earth Power twice on an intact Air Balloon. Still won with Thundy's Focus Blast, but damn...

I think this genie is jinxing me.

I'm not sure if this counts, but my most facepalm worthy thing is having a stick my ass about using non-Unova Pokemon in Black 2. You see, in each generation I usually restrict myself to using Pokemon added in its region in order to keep things fresh, but in Black 2, due to the lack of decent Unova fliers I actually liked, I stubbornly ignored all fliers completely in order to keep my team "pure" of non-Unova Pokemon, which really screwed me over since there is crazy number of fighting Pokemon users in that game, and I always ended up struggling against them since I didn't have a Psychic type or flier.

This led to difficulties in my fight against Marshall at the Pokemon League, where the Scrafty who I thought would get me through the fight with the use of Zen Headbutt got wrecked, leading to a gruelling battle where I had to use a boatload of potions to win. Once I won, I shook my head and came to my senses, switched off the DS, deleted my save, started a new game, and caught a Zubat when I had the chance, leading to a much smoother run through the game. Crobat wrecked Marshall as expected, unlike a certain Hoodlum Lizard.

I've softened my stance on using non-region specific Pokemon a bit since then, so whilst I still mainly stick to my team being made up of Pokemon from a new region, I will use Pokemon from other regions if I have too, like in X when I used Venasaur as my grass type but the rest of the team was still from Kalos.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this counts, but my most facepalm worthy thing is having a stick my ass about using non-Unova Pokemon in Black 2. You see, in each generation I usually restrict myself to using Pokemon added in its region in order to keep things fresh, but in Black 2, due to the lack of decent Unova fliers I actually liked, I stubbornly ignored all fliers completely in order to keep my team "pure" of non-Unova Pokemon, which really screwed me over since there is crazy number of fighting Pokemon users in that game, and I always ended up struggling against them since I didn't have a Psychic type or flier.

This led to difficulties in my fight against Marshall at the Pokemon League, where the Lucario who I thought would get me through the fight with the use of Psychic got wrecked, leading to a gruelling battle where I had to use a boatload of potions to win. Once I won, I shook my head and came to my senses, switched off the DS, deleted my save, started a new game, and caught a Zubat when I had the chance, leading to a much smoother run through the game. Crobat wrecked Marshall as expected, unlike a certain Eygyptian Jackal.

I've softened my stance on using non-region specific Pokemon a bit since then, so whilst I still mainly stick to my team being made up of Pokemon from a new region, I will use Pokemon from other regions if I have too, like in X when I used Venasaur as my grass type but the rest of the team was still from Kalos.
If you were trying to keep your team free of non-Unovaian Pokémon in Black 2, then why were you using a Lucario?

But I had something similar to your issue in Pokémon Y. I was so set on having a team that was purely made of Pokémon from the Kalos region, so much so that I ignored the Bulbasaur that you get given by Sycamore!

My final team ended up being: Greninja, Gogoat, Aurorus, Barbaracle, Hawlucha and Dragalge.

I didn't get to participate in Sky Battles :[

If you were trying to keep your team free of non-Unovaian Pokémon in Black 2, then why were you using a Lucario?

But I had something similar to your issue in Pokémon Y. I was so set on having a team that was purely made of Pokémon from the Kalos region, so much so that I ignored the Bulbasaur that you get given by Sycamore!

My final team ended up being: Greninja, Gogoat, Aurorus, Barbaracle, Hawlucha and Dragalge.

I didn't get to participate in Sky Battles :[
Welp my mistake, I meant to write that I tried to use a Scrafty with Zen Headbutt, I'll edit it. That's what I get for having so many tabs open and having too conversations at once -_-

I went into Kalos blind and my team ended up being Greninja, Talonflame, Aegislash, (Mega)Venusuar, Goodra and Heliolisk. There are no words to describe how proud I am that 1/3 of my team has been banished to Ubers and another 1/3 see regular usuage in OU. They grow up so fast lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)