Lower Tiers ORAS NU Role Compendium

Hey bolts, I think it would be better if you added the section Revenge Killers rather than Choice Scarfers so you can add Kangaskhan and Sash Kadabra. Afterall choice scarfers are revenge killers :]
I second this. Revenge killers is a must pls

Well, its something that can switch in into fire type moves, wouldn't that be considered an offensive check? Like Ninetales and Flareon on that list, which functions as a check via Flash Fire.

Also, if the list is arranged according to viability, wouldn't Claydol be higher in the hazard control list? I feel like for spinner, Claydol is actually high up there as one of the best.
Also, Typh can only really check other Typhlosions. It can't check MixedMortar, who runs EQ, which I've been seeing more of lately.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey bolts, I think it would be better if you added the section Revenge Killers rather than Choice Scarfers so you can add Kangaskhan and Sash Kadabra. Afterall choice scarfers are revenge killers :]
I second this. Revenge killers is a must pls
The issue is distinguishing them from the other revenge killers, for instance: Mesprit is a good choice scarf user that can be a revenge killer, but regular Mesprit doesn't fit the revenge killer role to well as its not to fast. There would have to be a sub section of revenge killer that was scarfers to distinguish that fact. Then on top of that revenge killers is actually a huge section, every single pokemon can technically be a revenge killer if they're revenge killing a Pokemon. You would have to distinguish that somehow when making this section and not have it be the entire tier. (I use the entire tier loosely).

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would add Mesprit, Musharna, and Xatu to Malamar checks because all of them can run Signal Beam effectively (and even Colbur Berry)
Ninjask (Band) and Vivillon also work, though the latter needs Bug Buzz which is not that great and they both can't take a Knock Off

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would add Mesprit, Musharna, and Xatu to Malamar checks because all of them can run Signal Beam effectively (and even Colbur Berry)
Ninjask (Band) and Vivillon also work, though the latter needs Bug Buzz which is not that great and they both can't take a Knock Off
Yeah, I was considering those but I was a bit shaky since that's under the assumption they're running a colbur berry (more important in mesprit and kinda xatus case) but I guess it's fair to add them. To brawlfests dismay, I don't think I'll add ninjask bc it's such a terrible Malamar check.

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
There should probably be a category for weather sweepers, though I don't know if it'd just be rain, sun, and sand mixed together or if they should be separate categories. Just naming it Weather (or Rain, Sun, and Sand) means you can also include setters like Uxie, Liepard, Regirock, and Hippopotas
Edit: Also, could Ludicolo go under boosting sweepers? Rain Dance is not exactly a set up move, but it essentially works the same way as one except the boost doesn't apply to all its moves
On that note, does Rock Polish and Agility fall into that category? Stuff like Rhydon and Articuno, and even some other more niche Pokemon like Lanturn, are all at least somewhat effective users

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There should probably be a category for weather sweepers, though I don't know if it'd just be rain, sun, and sand mixed together or if they should be separate categories. Just naming it Weather (or Rain, Sun, and Sand) means you can also include setters like Uxie, Liepard, Regirock, and Hippopotas
Edit: Also, could Ludicolo go under boosting sweepers? Rain Dance is not exactly a set up move, but it essentially works the same way as one except the boost doesn't apply to all its moves
On that note, does Rock Polish and Agility fall into that category? Stuff like Rhydon and Articuno, and even some other more niche Pokemon like Lanturn, are all at least somewhat effective users
Added a weather section that includes setters, rain abusers, and sun abusers (maybe sand abusers rip mega lix) - not sure what else could go in sun abusers.

Added a weather section that includes setters, rain abusers, and sun abusers (maybe sand abusers rip mega lix) - not sure what else could go in sun abusers.
Add Victreebel, Jumpluff, Sawsbuck and Leafeon under sun abusers pls.
Also Volbeat and Illumise ( garbage but can switch in on sp.grass hits in a rain team) under weather setter.
If we have weather, we should probably add trick room too. But that could encourage new players to use dedicated trick room teams which isn't really good. So dunno about that, depends what people say.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I feel like a Normal-Spam check section should be added imo since it has risen a lot since Mega Steelix ban with things like Rhydon, Carracosta, Klinklang, Golurk, Regirock, Ferroseed, and so on in said section.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I feel like a Normal-Spam check section should be added imo since it has risen a lot since Mega Steelix ban with things like Rhydon, Carracosta, Klinklang, Golurk, Regirock, Ferroseed, and so on in said section.
Yeah, I was probably going to add that at one point or another. One thing that I was thinking about in regards to that was a flying type check section as well (archeops / swellow / vivillon etc) but they share a lot of the same checks (rock and steel types) while the only difference per say is electric type mons in regards to flying types.
Do you think they should be in the same category or separate? Anyone can answer this.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I was probably going to add that at one point or another. One thing that I was thinking about in regards to that was a flying type check section as well (archeops / swellow / vivillon etc) but they share a lot of the same checks (rock and steel types) while the only difference per say is electric type mons in regards to flying types.
Do you think they should be in the same category or separate? Anyone can answer this.
I think a normal type check section is more important. We don't have enough relevant flying types to justify it. I could understand an Archeops check section because of how huge it is right now.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I think a normal type check section is more important. We don't have enough relevant flying types to justify it. I could understand an Archeops check section because of how huge it is right now.
Yea since Mega Steelix has been gone, there has been a huge influx of Normal spam teams and the overall rise of Kangaskhan, Tauros, and Zangoose so this is very important. I am tempted to say Klinklang may need its own check section too because of how big it is becoming too although I feel that isn't nowhere near as necessary as Normal Spam check section.

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
Just noticed Gurdurr isn't listed on Normal checks, which I think it definitely should. Gourgeist is also a pretty solid answer to them, countering Tauros (especially if it runs special bulk for Fire Blast), Kanga, and checking Zangoose (Knock Off hurts)

I would add Fraxure under other sweepers since it can run Dragon Dance pretty effectively. Rhydon should also go under other sweepers since it can run Rock Polish or Dragon Dance. If Gorebyss is going to go under rain abusers, Huntail might as well too since it gets Swift Swim and fun moves like Sucker Punch plus rain-boosted STAB. Not sure what you could call it, but a section for mons that deter hazard removal would be cool as well to help people with hazard-stacking teams. It could include things like Mismagius, Golurk, Haunter, Pawniard, Primeape, you get the idea. Just an idea maybe it's not worth it.

Just a few things worth mentioning :o
  • Add Pinsir to offensive stealth rock users (Mold Breaker Stealth rock is godly *-*)
  • Add Pinsir to the Malamar checks section
  • Both Pinsir and Magneton could be added to choice scarf section, both fantastic users of it
  • Add Pinsir to boosting sweepers section (Sword Dance)
Also kinda feel like again Magneton could be added to the Archeops check section

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Oh Stunfisk needs to be added to SR setter asap, it's really good right now

stunfisk agrees (did)
Just a few things worth mentioning :o
  • Add Pinsir to offensive stealth rock users (Mold Breaker Stealth rock is godly *-*)
  • Add Pinsir to the Malamar checks section
  • Both Pinsir and Magneton could be added to choice scarf section, both fantastic users of it
  • Add Pinsir to boosting sweepers section (Sword Dance)
Also kinda feel like again Magneton could be added to the Archeops check section
Did all except for the scarfers, I havent seen either do that great in practice and they don't sound that great on paper, but I'm certainly willing to reconsider. EQ is really good and common on chops, so only if scarf mag is added I'll add it as an archeops check.

You should add mr mime to fighting checks. It is neutral to knock off so you don't have to run Colbur (Well you can't but still) and quad resists fighting. There should also be a healing wish section/cleric one and if added, add mr mime because it has arguably a better offensive typing, arguably. It also lures in mag to hit it with focus blast which mesprit can't do, plus scares malamar away with life orb stab dazzling gleam.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
small thing but you should add Aurorus to weather setters boltsy ;)
edit: oh and I wanted to suggest the possibility of adding a Psychic-type check section? Primarily to prepare for Calm Mind sweepers because they are something every team should be prepared for.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
You should add mr mime to fighting checks. It is neutral to knock off so you don't have to run Colbur (Well you can't but still) and quad resists fighting. There should also be a healing wish section/cleric one and if added, add mr mime because it has arguably a better offensive typing, arguably. It also lures in mag to hit it with focus blast which mesprit can't do, plus scares malamar away with life orb stab dazzling gleam.
Added. Mesprit can hit mag with HP Fire, but obviously Focus Blast does more (ohkos non evio mag probably).
small thing but you should add Aurorus to weather setters boltsy ;)
edit: oh and I wanted to suggest the possibility of adding a Psychic-type check section? Primarily to prepare for Calm Mind sweepers because they are something every team should be prepared for.
Added both. ;)
Mush is there since it has the upper hand versus all the other psychic types, as it can set up alongside them and usually win.
Also I'll try and separate some of the [x]-type check sections into offensive and defensive like I did with fire type checks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)