Pokémon Rumble World

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Remember how excited everybody was when Game Freak released Pokémon Shuffle, a free2play/pay2win game? Well clearly Game Freak thought we reacted positively, because the newly announced Pokémon Rumble World for the 3DS is headed down the same road...

It's being released on the 8th of April so it's worth putting a thread up now. In all honesty I'm really excited, because I actually really loved Pokémon Rumble and Pokémon Rumble Blast, and from the 50 secnd trailer this at least doesn't look like another Pokémon Rumble U. I am worried about the Free2Play aspects though. I spent hours on end playing Rumble Blast before I lost it, and I really don't think this is a Free2Play genre, unlike mini puzzle games like Pokémon Shuffle.

However, as a game in itself it does look promising. It's boardng the mega-evolution hype train, confirming the feature in the new game, as well as showcasing the primal reversions in particular, implying they will be the final bosses. It's unclear in the trailer, but it looks like you may have to actually pay or grind to complete the PokéDex. Over 700 Pokémon are promised, and the way to further your adventure is through the use of PokéDiamonds, which also happen to be the thing you buy with your hard earned cash. PokéDiamonds will presumably play a similar role to what they did in Pokémon Shuffle, except that instead of lives you buy the next area. You earn these items for free in various places in the game (again like in Shuffle).

So, what do you think to the little information we have on the game so far?

What I'm hoping is that the PokeDiamonds give you extra chances in levels and that it doesn't cost you diamonds to play the same level again and again. I would be okay with all of that if it's a decent price for buying access to the levels that's comparable to purchasing a few game.

I know how you feel about worrying where the Free2Play aspects come in. I played the crap out of Rumble Blast and I'm worrying the same thing as you... I guess we'll see in a week.

Honestly, I've only played the demo version of Rumble for the Wii (regular, not U), and it was always something I wanted to play more of but didn't feel it was worth spending money on. This is perfect because this time I'll be able to try it for real. I am cautios about the f2p model, however, but as I have no experience with it, I can't really speak about it now.

Sigh, free-to-play.

The thing with f2p is that, in the current state of the gaming industry, the whole f2p model is seen by gamers as toxic - many refuse to play f2p games on principle (but weirdly, they often have no qualms with paying $60 for a game which is still stuffed with day-one DLC and microtransactions). But it's not intrinsically a bad thing. The problem is most free-to-play games do one of the following things:

- Making their money by allowing the player to bypass difficult sections by paying. These games tend to be more fun if you don't spend any money on them - great for the consumer, but unlikely to be supported for very long by the devs as they discover that, weirdly, people aren't paying hard-earned money to remove content from the game.
- Energy systems - paying for time spent playing the game - generally they let you play for ten or fifteen minutes a day and you have to pay beyond that. This is basically an evolution of the financial model that arcades used way back in the eighties. And arcades died out because people would rather buy a game than rent it on a per-minute basis.
- Pay to win - selling power in multiplayer games. This is a horrible thing to do for obvious reasons.

It's odd that Nintendo are finally jumping on this bandwagon after the ship has sailed (if you'll pardon the mixed metaphor). I hope they can get free-to-play right, as they have done with DLC over the last few years. But I fear even if they do get it right, they won't make money out of it due to free-to-play being an instant turn-off for so many people.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
At first I wasn't interested, until they said it's free! Why not give a try then?

I don't see what's with all these negativity towards Free 2 play games. They are really big here in Asia.
Just look at freemiums like Puzzle and Dragons, they earned more than the whole Nintendo with just one game!
Actually, I think F2P might even make the game more challenging (because they want you to pay right?)

The problem is how limiting they tend to be. I'm fine with Pokemon Shuffle and its heart system, but it's really limiting - like one heart every half hour until you earn a max of 5. That means you have to play every 2 and a half hours in order to avoid any "wasted" time. I would be happier if it was like a max of 10 hearts, but otherwise it's extremely limited.

I'm worried that it will be the same with Rumble. If it was just "pay to get extra lives" or "pay once to unlock a level", I'd be fine, but on Serebii it implies the same freemium BS that prevents you from playing multiple times as well as paying a ton. At least Serebii also implies that it might be easier in game to earn PokeDiamonds than Jewels in Shuffle

Celever

i am town
The problem is how limiting they tend to be. I'm fine with Pokemon Shuffle and its heart system, but it's really limiting - like one heart every half hour until you earn a max of 5. That means you have to play every 2 and a half hours in order to avoid any "wasted" time. I would be happier if it was like a max of 10 hearts, but otherwise it's extremely limited.

I'm worried that it will be the same with Rumble. If it was just "pay to get extra lives" or "pay once to unlock a level", I'd be fine, but on Serebii it implies the same freemium BS that prevents you from playing multiple times as well as paying a ton. At least Serebii also implies that it might be easier in game to earn PokeDiamonds than Jewels in Shuffle
In the trailer it said that you get 10/15 PokéDiamonds every time you visit this regal looking guy iirc. We don't know how many diamonds are used for all of the features though, nor how often you visit this rich guy.

At first I wasn't interested, until they said it's free! Why not give a try then?

I don't see what's with all these negativity towards Free 2 play games. They are really big here in Asia.
Just look at freemiums like Puzzle and Dragons, they earned more than the whole Nintendo with just one game!
Actually, I think F2P might even make the game more challenging (because they want you to pay right?)
I still play Free2Play, but it's just not the same as spending your money on it. If it's an excellent game, I start feeling guilty about playing it, which starts to sour the experience for me.

Also your example of the developers getting more money through Free2Play is I think what people hate about the model. As a whole the games tend to be very basic (Rumble is more in-depth, but Shuffle is definitely basic and simple) yet the developers get richer off of them. This means that in the end, companies are either going to be forced to go down the Free2Play route which will ruin the industry as a whole IMO, or they will be forced to raise the price on their games to keep up. Do you really want to only be able to get one badge every week in your Pokémon game without paying? Didn't think so.

Hooray free-to-pay, or another way to call it, pay-to-win. I just hope that you don't lose lifes when you attempt levels, only when you lose them, which is why I dislike Shuffle. And I don't dislike many games!

Cresselia~~

In the trailer it said that you get 10/15 PokéDiamonds every time you visit this regal looking guy iirc. We don't know how many diamonds are used for all of the features though, nor how often you visit this rich guy.

I still play Free2Play, but it's just not the same as spending your money on it. If it's an excellent game, I start feeling guilty about playing it, which starts to sour the experience for me.

Also your example of the developers getting more money through Free2Play is I think what people hate about the model. As a whole the games tend to be very basic (Rumble is more in-depth, but Shuffle is definitely basic and simple) yet the developers get richer off of them. This means that in the end, companies are either going to be forced to go down the Free2Play route which will ruin the industry as a whole IMO, or they will be forced to raise the price on their games to keep up. Do you really want to only be able to get one badge every week in your Pokémon game without paying? Didn't think so.
Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining.
I agree, I'd be ok with paying to unlock regions/ more lives, but I'm not ok with limiting how much I can advance each day.

Actually looking forward to this game! I have enjoyed pokemon shuffle (Although still stuck with S-ranking mega gengar, glalie and mewtwo) but am awaiting this in anticipation.

Sigh, free-to-play.

The thing with f2p is that, in the current state of the gaming industry, the whole f2p model is seen by gamers as toxic - many refuse to play f2p games on principle (but weirdly, they often have no qualms with paying $60 for a game which is still stuffed with day-one DLC and microtransactions). But it's not intrinsically a bad thing. The problem is most free-to-play games do one of the following things:

- Making their money by allowing the player to bypass difficult sections by paying. These games tend to be more fun if you don't spend any money on them - great for the consumer, but unlikely to be supported for very long by the devs as they discover that, weirdly, people aren't paying hard-earned money to remove content from the game.
- Energy systems - paying for time spent playing the game - generally they let you play for ten or fifteen minutes a day and you have to pay beyond that. This is basically an evolution of the financial model that arcades used way back in the eighties. And arcades died out because people would rather buy a game than rent it on a per-minute basis.
- Pay to win - selling power in multiplayer games. This is a horrible thing to do for obvious reasons.

It's odd that Nintendo are finally jumping on this bandwagon after the ship has sailed (if you'll pardon the mixed metaphor). I hope they can get free-to-play right, as they have done with DLC over the last few years. But I fear even if they do get it right, they won't make money out of it due to free-to-play being an instant turn-off for so many people.
I've never thought along those lines before. I'm one to think if something is too good to be true it probably is, and seeing that there is a lot more to f2p games does give more clarity as to how to approach games and the genre. Now it makes sense why it seems the game only lets you play for a limited time each session and it does make sense why it would be free. still the game itself looks appealing so thats something to go by

Cresselia~~

When can we download it?
It's 8th April but it's not on e-shop yet!

At what hour can we start downloading it?

Cresselia~~

Actually, for those of you who don't like F2P's because of the hearts limit... have you considered just to pay a normal game's price and then start playing like mad?
For example in Pokemon Shuffle, it takes $25 to purchase 35 jewels, and $25 costs slightly less than a regular game.
So if I pay $25 right at the beginning, it's like I'm paying for a cheaper game and I can play all I want?

My timezone is EST and it's still the 7th. I imagine it'll be released sometime around midday whenever it hits the 8th for Japan.
Oh, ok. I just don't wanna wait anymore X___X

Actually, for those of you who don't like F2P's because of the hearts limit... have you considered just to pay a normal game's price and then start playing like mad?
For example in Pokemon Shuffle, it takes $25 to purchase 35 jewels, and $25 costs slightly less than a regular game.
So if I pay $25 right at the beginning, it's like I'm paying for a cheaper game and I can play all I want?

Oh, ok. I just don't wanna wait anymore X___X
That's the model I was hoping to have. I remember some F2P games that charge you for things like the jewels and you use them to unlock levels. You either get them at a really low rate in game or you purchase them and if you purchase enough to get instant access for the entire game it ended up costing something like $50 so about a normal game price.

Cresselia~~

I downloaded it. Quite cool.
But if you want to buy all the courses at once, it costs way more than a regular game.
The "Origin" course for Kanto Pokemon costs a whopping 100 jewels.

You can earn some Jewels in game by doing the King's quests. But I personally doubt that would fund your Kanto course.

When you repeat the same course over and over again, the Pokemon you catch becomes stronger and stronger, even if it's the same species.
Recharge time isn't that bad once you have 3 balloons.
So, you just play them repeatedly until you have Pokemon with attack over 180, then the 1st King's quest becomes easy. (He wants you to beat up the Magician)

I downloaded it and it is fun. I agree that if you have a few balloons, you can play near constantly, which is nice. For something I'm not spending money on, I'm happy.

I do find the need to put money in so I can easily have enough to buy the balloons but I'm fine with that. It's more about paying to get access which is a type of free 2 play I'm fine with.

I also like that the Pokemon seem to scale with your level rather than being ridiculously underleveled all the time. So there is a mild incentive to replay those first few levels that have a quicker reload time.

Celever

i am town
Godammit, this game is such a disappointment.

In the other three Pokémon Rumble games, everything was very simple. You move with the joystick/circlepad, and use A and B to attack. In this game, you don't even use A and B to attack. This is a game of moving, and letting the computer attack for you. Oh, but don't have too much fun! You've gotta wait another 10 minutes before you can play again! :3 The level scaling thing Mew King mentioned is literally the only thing they got right.

That said, I'm not gonna stop playing it, because it's still Rumble which is a really fun concept, despite the fact that the automatic attacking is possibly the worst addition they possibly could have made and is undoubtedly going to sour the game for me. How are you guys getting jewels? I've been playing on and off all day, and I've got the three elemental balloons and the Sapphire balloon, but there are no ways to get jewels besides paying and getting them from the King, besides this one mii who gave me one in the middle of the course. I just want to see if I can beat this game as fast as I can so I can say that I've done it...

Godammit, this game is such a disappointment.

In the other three Pokémon Rumble games, everything was very simple. You move with the joystick/circlepad, and use A and B to attack. In this game, you don't even use A and B to attack. This is a game of moving, and letting the computer attack for you. Oh, but don't have too much fun! You've gotta wait another 10 minutes before you can play again! :3 The level scaling thing Mew King mentioned is literally the only thing they got right.

That said, I'm not gonna stop playing it, because it's still Rumble which is a really fun concept, despite the fact that the automatic attacking is possibly the worst addition they possibly could have made and is undoubtedly going to sour the game for me. How are you guys getting jewels? I've been playing on and off all day, and I've got the three elemental balloons and the Sapphire balloon, but there are no ways to get jewels besides paying and getting them from the King, besides this one mii who gave me one in the middle of the course. I just want to see if I can beat this game as fast as I can so I can say that I've done it...
I believe the ways to get PokeDiamonds outside paying are

- Doing tasks for the King
- Reaching certain rank thresholds
- Streetpassing gifts from the shop
- Gifts from Miis themselves in the course.

You can turn it off. That's what I did.

This game is surprisingly really fun. I've been playing for about 5 hours and only had to take two relatively short breaks. I've got up to both the third gen balloons without spending a penny and have confidence I'll be able to save up for the others naturally. Favourite recruitment so far has been Empoleon, which has around 408 strength and the +atk trait. Not sure how good that is by rumble standards but the 2nd stage evos seem hard to recruit so I'm happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)