Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean as in the double-water type? Having two of the same type on a team is perfectly fine, just make sure you cover their weaknesses well. Also I don't know if Quaggy would work on that core, but I cant judge since I dont have experience.
I have a team with mega sceptile bronzong quagsire rotom-w heatran and sylveon.I need quagsire as a good physical wall

I have a team with Mega Sceptile, Bronzong, Quagsire, Rotom-W, Heatran, and Sylveon.I need quagsire as a good physical wall
Your team seems to have Grass pretty well covered between 3 resists (2 4x at that), and its overall more defensive nature means you definitely want Quagsire and Rotom-W since they handle some of the more dangerous attackers in OU right now (Zard-X, Metagross in particular). Just try to keep hazards up and keep them healthy so those sweepers wear themselves out each time you block them.

Your team seems to have Grass pretty well covered between 3 resists (2 4x at that), and its overall more defensive nature means you definitely want Quagsire and Rotom-W since they handle some of the more dangerous attackers in OU right now (Zard-X, Metagross in particular). Just try to keep hazards up and keep them healthy so those sweepers wear themselves out each time you block them.
I do not wanna turn this into an RMT but I'd just like to know if a balanced team that favours defence a bit more fits mega sceptile.I thought so because I think that sweepers like sceptile need to be supported.

I do not wanna turn this into an RMT but I'd just like to know if a balanced team that favours defence a bit more fits mega sceptile.I thought so because I think that sweepers like sceptile need to be supported.
Sceptile's not quite a sweeper, because while fast, his offenses aren't the highest and he lacks a way to boost them. Sceptile works more as a cleaner, able to outspeed most things and hit hard enough to knock out half their health, but not all of it.

Just make sure your team can stay alive long enough to wear the opponent out with hazards and status to reach that point where Sceptile can clean up. Alternatively, fitting a wallbreaker to directly punch those holes and wear them down could prove helpful.

There are plenty of sub-forums you can look in for help, check out the mentorship program, or even just look in the threads for these Pokemon if you need more help.

Sceptile's not quite a sweeper, because while fast, his offenses aren't the highest and he lacks a way to boost them. Sceptile works more as a cleaner, able to outspeed most things and hit hard enough to knock out half their health, but not all of it.

Just make sure your team can stay alive long enough to wear the opponent out with hazards and status to reach that point where Sceptile can clean up. Alternatively, fitting a wallbreaker to directly punch those holes and wear them down could prove helpful.

There are plenty of sub-forums you can look in for help, check out the mentorship program, or even just look in the threads for these Pokemon if you need more help.
Maybe I should make my heatran and sylveon a bit more bulky

Why isn't substitute run on Gengar more?

It lets you play around Pursuit easier, and from my understanding, Gengar not being pursuited = RP Lando-i not sweeping you.

Also why is the Gira-O thread still stickied?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Why isn't substitute run on Gengar more?

It lets you play around Pursuit easier, and from my understanding, Gengar not being pursuited = RP Lando-i not sweeping you.

Also why is the Gira-O thread still stickied?
Some gengar variants still use sub it's just that Life Orb 3 attacks / taunt or all out attacker is the more common one you see.

Probably not the place to put this but idc. I searched for ~2 minutes and couldn't find a randbat sub, so I'll put it here.

Can anyone explain why Randbats has been tweaked and all mons levels changed? All this does is make the ubers like Gensect and co. even better, whilst gimping already useless mons even further. It's not like ubers were weak before either.

I agree that some of the mons were stupid at level 88 (particularly the higher BST pokemon like rotom Fan, shell smashers, or diverse mons like Magmortar etc.) but mons like: Luvdisc, Unown, Dustox etc. are even more worthless than they were before.

If someone could point me in the direction of a randbat topic that would be ace.

Ta! xoxo

On a related note, why isn't there a place to talk about randbats in general?
As far as I can tell, it's only because there's no real demand for it.

Probably not the place to put this but idc. I searched for ~2 minutes and couldn't find a randbat sub, so I'll put it here.

Can anyone explain why Randbats has been tweaked and all mons levels changed? All this does is make the ubers like Gensect and co. even better, whilst gimping already useless mons even further. It's not like ubers were weak before either.

I agree that some of the mons were stupid at level 88 (particularly the higher BST pokemon like rotom Fan, shell smashers, or diverse mons like Magmortar etc.) but mons like: Luvdisc, Unown, Dustox etc. are even more worthless than they were before.

If someone could point me in the direction of a randbat topic that would be ace.

Ta! xoxo
I'm not entirely sure what you mean since Ubers have their levels dropped to 70, and I believe the lower the tier of the mon the closer its level is to 100. I don't know the exact formula for it however.

As far as I can tell, it's only because there's no real demand for it.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean since Ubers have their levels dropped to 70, and I believe the lower the tier of the mon the closer its level is to 100. I don't know the exact formula for it however.
The levels have changed over the past few days making NU mons drop in level (from 88 to 83) and Ubers have risen in level from 72 to 74 in some cases. Just as I stated in my first post.

Originally, NU pokes were level 88, RU were like 82, UU 78, OU 74 and Ubers hovered between 70 & 72.

Now Ubers hover between 72-74, OU are 75, BL are 76, UU are 77-79, RU are 81 and NU are 83.

All this has done is make mons like Unown and Luvdisc even more useless than they originally were. At level 88 they might've lived one hit or had a part in actually winning, now they are just fodder and you're pretty much playing 6-5.

My question of "why did these changes happen?" was to whoever made these changes, as I would like to hear the logic behind making Ubers more powerful (as they didn't need it) and NU mons weaker (again, they didn't need it).

And there should be a randbats topic. From funny replays, to balancing pokemon, there is a lot of discussion to be had from randbats.

p2

Banned deucer.
How much speed investment is needed for a timid swift swim kingdra to outspees all relvant OU scarfers under rain?
228 EVs with a Neutral speed nature allow it to outrun base 110 Scarfed

526 / Kingdra / 85 / Neutral / 228 / +2
525 / Gengar, Latios / 110 / +Spe / 252 / +1

How much speed investment is needed for a timid swift swim kingdra to outspees all relvant OU scarfers under rain?
If you're using a Timid Kingdra, 132 will let you outspeed Scarf Latios, which is pretty much the fastest you'll have to deal with.

228 EVs with a Neutral nature allow it to outrun base 110 Scarfed

526 / Kingdra / 85 / Neutral / 228 / +2
525 / Gengar, Latios / 110 / +Spe / 252 / +1
That's technically for a Modest Kingdra, not Timid. That being said Particular1 Modest is usually the preferred nature since you don't need Kingdra to be bulky and you usually prefer the extra power.

EDIT:
The levels have changed over the past few days making NU mons drop in level (from 88 to 83) and Ubers have risen in level from 72 to 74 in some cases. Just as I stated in my first post.

Originally, NU pokes were level 88, RU were like 82, UU 78, OU 74 and Ubers hovered between 70 & 72.

Now Ubers hover between 72-74, OU are 75, BL are 76, UU are 77-79, RU are 81 and NU are 83.

All this has done is make mons like Unown and Luvdisc even more useless than they originally were. At level 88 they might've lived one hit or had a part in actually winning, now they are just fodder and you're pretty much playing 6-5.

My question of "why did these changes happen?" was to whoever made these changes, as I would like to hear the logic behind making Ubers more powerful (as they didn't need it) and NU mons weaker (again, they didn't need it).

And there should be a randbats topic. From funny replays, to balancing pokemon, there is a lot of discussion to be had from randbats.
Ah, I see. My bad; I know you said the levels were changed, but from the context of your post I wasn't sure how exactly it was changed. I wish I could be of more help, but the only random battle threads I've ever seen are the RandBat tourneys in Fire Bot. If you really want to know, someone there may be able to help. Of course, I'd only go there if you really need to know.

Last edited:
228 speed and a neutral nature outspeeds choice scarf Latios under rain.

216 speed and a neutral nature outspeeds scarf keldo

180 speed and a neutral nature outruns scarf Garchomp

I don't think I understand how the drafts system works, especially when making threads. Sometimes, a small notification will pop-up, saying draft saved, and my post on a thread will be saved when I return - provided I don't post it. On the other hand, when making a thread (mainly RMTs in my case), and I save a draft, I don't know how to access them again. Is there something I need to know or is the method under my nose?

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Go back to the RMT subforums, or whatever forum you do it in, and click 'create thread'. It doesn't save after a while, so what I usually do is use the BB code editor when I want to save (top right icon, the one with the weird tool), copy what I have and paste it onto somewhere on my laptop. I did that for my RMT since I was working on it and halfway I had to go on vacation.

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
What mons does offense normally run to check/counter excadrill/rain offense and LandI?

Edit: I'm not looking for one pokemon that can do all three, just in general.

Last edited:
Mega Alakazam can trace the respective weather abilities to revenge kill the sweepers. Landorus-I is very hard for offense to check, but depending on its coverage, it can be checked, for example if lacking knock off or psychic gengar can check, if lacking psychic or hp ice landorus-t can check, thundy-i can switch in on earth power and OHKO with hp ice, etc.

What mons does offense normally run to check/counter excadrill/rain offense and LandI?
Mega Alakazam takes down all of these bar RP Lando-I, but it's quite hard to get it in and it must be mega evolved already.

Priority can revenge kill a lot of stuff after it's weakened, but a lot of rain mons resist common priority. Bisharp can work against rain sweepers with Sucker Punch as most are pretty frail.

Edit in response to edit: Against rain, Toxicroak is great. Fast Electrics like M-Man or Raikou can pressure Politoed and most secondary Rain setters and preserve momentum with Volt Switch. Offensive Mega Venusaur is great against Rain despite losing Synthesis recovery.

Lando-I is tough. You'll probably have to scout a bit to find out if it's RP, CM, 4 Attacks, etc, which can be pretty difficult. Mamoswine is particulary good as a catch-all Lando killer. Even though Weaville can't switch in, its presence in Team Preview combined with double switching is usually enough to "suppress" Lando a bit, or at least dissuade your opponent from setting up with it.

Last edited:

Edit: I'm not looking for one pokemon that can do all three, just in general.
Lando-I is rather tricky to check without knowing its set, but generally, any faster mon w/ Ice coverage can check sets assuming they switch into the right move. Magnet Rise Klefki can lay out Spikes, Toxic him, or 2HKO w/ Foul Play, most Scarfers are pretty safe bets, etc.

I tend to use Weavile, which can survive any move bar Focus Blast or Earth Power w/out Rocks and KO with Icicle Crash or Ice Shard (if outsped by the Rock Polish set). Mamoswine is a bit more powerful with stronger STAB in EQ, but he takes even more damage trying to switch in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)