ORAS OU Mono Bug Team

Alright, so I finally decided to build a mono type team and wanted some expert opinions on possible changes. With that, let's cut to the chase:

Venomoth @ Black Sludge
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 4 SpD / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Bug Buzz

First up is Venomoth, who acts as my lead. It's main function is to pass it's boosts to Volcarona (explained below), though it can just use the boosts itself. Sleep Powder is to prevent possible dangers from fighting back, plus Quiver Dance and Baton Pass are for passing obviously. Bug Buzz is to prevent it being Taunt bait, plus use the boosts in case it's partner is KOed. The EVs are for keeping it alive for as long as long as possible, plus give it just enough speed to get off a few boosts.

Volcarona @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Next up is my special attacker and pass recipient. Of course, it can function well without Venomoth, but where's the fun in that? Bug Buzz and Fiery Dance are STAB and hit for high damage on most of the OU tier, either 2HKO or 1HKO if I'm lucky. Giga Drain is for Waters and Grounds who think it's easy prey, and HP Ground is for opposing Fires and Steels.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

This is one of the powerhouses in my team, and the one that often wins me games. Close Combat and Megahorn both pack immense power and always at least 1HKO and 2HKO's anything that stands in their way. Pin Missile and Rock Blast are there for Skill Link abuse, plus Rock Blast is useful for Talonflame not carrying Gale Wings and the Mega Charizards.

Crustle @ White Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

The secondary attacker in my team. I'll admit this set is gimmicky, but it works well when it gets going. Shell Smash is for boosting obviously and patches up Crustle's otherwise awful Speed. X-Scissor and Stone Edge get STAB and hit hard even if Shell Smash isn't activated, and Earthquake is for Steels who try to ruin it's day.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Honestly, this could have worked well as a Mega, but I decided not to for...reasons. Anyway, Scizor acts mostly as a revenge killer and a scout, plus it's a great late game cleaner once most of the threats are wiped out. The EVs are...weird, but they keep it alive as long as possible while doing it's job.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Finally, I have the hazard setter/spinner that is pretty much on any Bug team ever. It's function is obvious, laying down Rocks and Spikes while being able to spin them away as well. Gyro Ball is there to prevent it being Taunt bait plus take down faster opponents.

Well there you have it. Not the best explanations I'll admit, but I'm welcome to hear any changes that I should make. Keep in mind it's a mono Bug team please.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is for OU. I'm aware of the other forum, and I wanted opinions for the general OU environment.
The opinion from everyone would be that a monotype team (especially with a type as risky as Bug) does not perform well in the OU environment, with threats such as Talonflame, Terrakion, Diancie, Thundurus, and Heatran all dealing massive damage to the majority of your team. I would not reccommend using this team in OU, but as Sanger Zonvolt said, you should move this team to the forum he linked for a more in depth look at how this team would work in the monotype tier.

Not to mention that SR deals massive damage to half your team. Yeah, you've got Forretress to spin them away, but the problem is, Forretress is not especially good in OU right now. It's not blacklisted on the viability thread right now, which is really surprising to me considering the people who have recently been advocating for it with faulty logic. Right now, pretty much every team in the tier is going to be carrying at least one fire attack, and Forretress cannot take Fire attacks well at all. Its speed tier is utterly horrible. Having access to Gyro Ball does not stop it from being Taunt bait. Gyro Ball gives it the ability to deal a bit of damage, but the thing is, Forretress' job is first and foremost to set up hazards. While it might have the ability to deal a little bit of damage, it's pretty easy for your opponent to simply switch something in that resists it, and use the opportunity to set up. Once something sets up, you pretty much have no choice but to switch Forretress out, costing momentum, cause if it goes down, you lose your hazard setter AND your hazard remover, which will cripple your team, especially Volcarona. Forretress is just not viable in OU right now. Plus, Bug is not a good type in OU. Too many good types resist it, and there's only a few Bug moves that are noteworthy anyway.

Honestly, I think you should take the advice of Zanger and Cheek Pouch and take this team to monotype. I'm not experienced in that metagame, so I can't really offer much assistance in that regard, sorry. But I don't think you're going to find much success with a mono-bug team in OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)