Ubers community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
not really related to previous stuff but I have a very easy thing you can do to make PS battles more enjoyable for everyone. It involves the distinction between people who are bad but refuse to admit it, and people who are bad but clueless. The former are pretty helpless and you are free to c/p their moves into your chat of choice, but making fun of clueless people is no good. Usually they receive your tips pretty well anyway. Just follow these easy steps. Dream Eater Darkrai is our example.

1) Be like "hey Dream Eater Darkrai isn't a good choice, usually the opponent switches out the Pokemon that gets put to sleep so Dream Eater doesn't do anything, and you want coverage like Sludge Bomb to hit Xerneas". This literally takes no effort at all. In fact, you can probably type this in the time that PS is lagging between turns.
2) a) If your opponent is like f u noob, then keep arguing or ignore them or something. If you really have to, call them bad (after you win ofc), but otherwise w/e.
b) If your opponent is like cool thanks, well now there is one less Dream Eater Darkrai, and maybe they will go out and tell someone else the same thing o.o ez
3) go into the Ubers room and be like hey I just convinced someone not to use Dream Eater Darkrai voice me :) n.n :] and then get shot down by the auth :(

IMPORTANT NOTE: shockingly enough, there are people who test sets on the ladder (since doing so is pretty easy and you can't always bother other users to test). IMO it's not that hard to tell the difference between something obviously bad and something that owned you in particular that game but might actually be ok. When in doubt, be curious and ask why the opponent is using OP / Scald / IB / Thunder Kyogre. If they're doing it because their clueless, well the PS lag between turns gives you plenty of time to help. If they're testing something, then there's no point to respond in some condescending manner.

tldr: use PS lag time to give tips and find out if your opponent is clueless or a jerk. Hopefully they are just clueless and you helped them be a little bit better. Otherwise cry at night. Also don't be mad cuz bad.

Guys, I think it's pretty clear as to where the problem lies; it's in the behaviour of the badged users/mods/popular users and here's why:

1. I'm pretty sure no one here knows me but I've been lurking here and on PS for a long time and through my journey I have battled those "popular players" a lot of time through different names and I can say that 80% of them were the most childish, bad mannered and saltiest persons I have met on PS, even more than low ladder trolls, cause they at least are well... trolls! I have only been nice and well mannered with them but the way they treated me and other 'normal users' was the complete opposite of how we treated them, especially if they lost.

2. We all know how most of the Smogon community are bandwagoners, and it clearly shows when a popular user writes something (even if it's just shitposting) and they get like... 30 likes and people singing their names and that is a big problem because a lot of simple and mortal users tend to copy the popular ones and that will make the toxicity duplicate itself over and over with every new user coming to the forums and looking at the posts left by respected users.

An example of this is a thread found in another tier where a very known user started writing like a 5yo with bad grammar and other shit and other users started copying him, which led to the thread becoming a giant pile of shit.

3. Most people who get shat on, or mistreated by popular users can't do anything back and that's because all of them are bf's with the mods and/or are mods themselves, add to that the fact that many people will protect them cause of the bandwagon mentality and you got yourself a bunch of mistreated people who feel very alienated and that creates more toxic.

So no, this problem is not exclusive to Ubers, it's in almost every other tier in Smogon, and it comes from the elitism of "elite players" which creates two types of 'normal users' :
1. Those who bandwagon, and think that it's ok to shitpost because the popular users do it too.
2. Those who have grudges against the high horse players because of past experiences with them and will talk shit to them or anyone who defends them on any occasion.

Those are my two cents on the subject.

Just quickly gonna say something about this. the 'toxicity' in the community might be present more in Ubers than other tiers, I don't really know, but it definitely exists in all tiers, and people might dismiss this or whatever but it's all because of the 'elitism' of people here. Let's take for example some unnamed users who are solid contributors, good battlers, and known as well. They would post with stuff like "that pokemon fucking sucks ass" or "the ladder is full of aids sacks"... like, how is that acceptable? That's basically the reasoning behind all the toxicity, the players are waaaaay ahead of themselves and really tuning it into a dick flexing contest, and it makes them look extremely obnoxious in arguments because when you try to argue in a civil manner they would retaliate with "lol your set/thoughts/team is aids and full of cancer". This is also extremely more common in the tournament scene as everyone can see. people have been waiting for SPL not for the games but for the posts with shit like "lol you're an aids sack cancerous player" drama bullshit which is ridiculous.

When that problem is solved then other problems will be probably also be resolved.

I'm not trying to be a pussy here by saying cancer/aids jokes are off-limits (they aren't, it can be funny sometimes) but the way people use them make them sound extremely obnoxious, come out as arrogant/rude, and basically just use them as an uncivil way of arguing, and add them to their posts to make them look more right/confident? i dunno, probably.

edit: also stop bashing the ladder jesus fuck. I know the lower ladder can have a lot of bad/inexperienced players and that most of the ladder is kinda bad especially in RU where they spam 3 shitmons for no reason, but it's still what shapes up the metagame and it's pretty much the only thing available besides tournament which don't suit all people that's for sure.
This addresses something that I have observed for a while now. People with lots of posts, badges, and who are generally solid contributers getting to shit post and not have their posts deleted etc. These people are role models for less experienced users and should be under more scrutiny from the mods and not less. If we see people posting a bunch of shit taking and whatnot, people are gonna think that it's commonplace and acceptable even if it isn't. To manage the sheep(80% of smogon) you must deal with the shepherd first.

Also, on bashing the ladder I wholeheartedly agree. The users room doesn't really discuss much(not much to discuss but w/e) on ps and the tours are shit like cc1v1 and hackmons leaving people with no choice but to play ladder, or ask for battles in the chat/randomly challenge people in the chat.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
hmm, I just ended up seeing something rather disappointing break out, between two users that I talk to, in the RMT of a user attempting to learn our metagame. One party was far more factually correct, but in the way things were handled, both were in the wrong in my opinion. After talking with both on PS, I think I can safely say that both parties that ended up not handling this well are both smart enough in order to handle the same situation, but better. Tossing around the name "asshat" at other community members is not okay when being used in an environment of learning such as newer players to the tier posting ORAS Ubers RMTs in the RMT forum. All in all, it just makes us look bad and uninviting to all outsiders. I have been corrected by one of these persons before several times, and although the posts weren't developed in a very constructive manner, I really didn't care about how it was put. It was help, and I was ready to accept any help I could get. I am not the world though, so even though I am a rather resilient human being, many others aren't. The user witnessing this happen in their thread could very well want nothing to do with the Ubers community because of this outbreak, and personally, I wouldn't blame them if this was their decision. Can we all stop and think about what we are posting in RMT and newer user threads please, if it is good info and you know it, please present it in a respectable manner, especially in the delicate situation of correcting someone who may be incorrect.

Just a quick note: there were other parties involved other than the two I keep referring to, but they all handled it in a much more respectable manner, in my eyes at least. I hope this can be a learning experience for all of us.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When I first joined Smogon the RMT forum was where a majority of my posts where (users like Optic still remember my terribad teams and we joke about it occasionally). Anyways even though my teams were kinda shitty and the raters were perfectly justified in their suggestions, they were complete assholes about it. I stayed around because idk, I'm not easily offended, but I bet several users with a softer skin have been scared away from this tier because of things that happen in that forum. Naturally when you first start playing what you are really striving towards is making a decent team to ladder and join in some room tours with, so it's a safe assumption to say that most future Ubers regulars are going to be moving through the RMT forum before they move into Ubers subform and other places.

However, over time I've slowly been posting less and less in the RMT forum for a variety of reasons, and a few months ago one incident has led to me not wanting to post there at all in recent times. The short version is that I posted a sarcastic RMT on the standard HO build in Ubers prior to the Mega Ray ban as a satirical way to comment on how bad the ORAS metagame was. To my surprise not only did several users fail to understand the post, but they even started accusing me of stealing a team. In the end the post was deleted, perhaps for the better, although it still left me feeling persecuted. I still lurk the RMT forum, but rarely do I post. Most RMTs are an excuse for players to flaunt their ego or they are near unsalvageable teams; sadly a majority of posts are not by players who are trying and willing to put in the work to improve in Ubers. As WreckDra demonstrated, stuff can explode out of nowhere between raters (and posters too) so I've gotten to the point where I don't want to attract any conflict and have instead been making most of my recent posts in C&C where good discussion can still happen and people aren't as quick to attack you.

I feel like one of the primary ways new users start playing Ubers is through the RMT forum, so obviously there should be an attempt to improve our user base's image there. In general there has been an improvement on helping people in the Ubers room on PS! which is great, but many users fail to recognize the progress because they are bent up on an ideal for a perfectly harmonious Ubers which is unrealistic and not conducive to progression. Circle jerks are boring, there should be argument, but no superfluous trash talking. I guess that's pretty much it for now, I could talk for a very long time about the forum and Ubers room dynamics but I don't know if anyone would find it of much interest at the present moment.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't tell if you're implying this is about Pistolero and I because I don't recall talking to you about it at all.
There is no PISTOLERO and you, I am not interested in starting a fight with you at all. I simply responded to your badly thought out, rude and pointless post with the truth, and you were strangely surprised to discover that when you blatantly insult team raters that put time and effort into their posts, you do not get a positive response. You then continued to argue and further insult me by calling me insecure for some reason, even when Fireburn and Hack pointed out repeatedly that you were in the wrong. I don't have a "beef" with you, despite what seem to be your best efforts, and I am not interested in it either, as I have better things to do.

Edit @ below: there is no salt, I am merely stating the truth. if you don't believe me, you are free to go read the RMT in question, and see how Thugly Duckling tries to pick a fight not only with me but also with both Hack and Fireburn, for yourself
Um no, this is not about trying to find fault here. This thread is not supposed to be used settle disputes or continue a pointless argument about who screwed up first, it's about how we're supposed improve the behaviour of this community as a whole. Regardless of who started it, the overall behaviour in that RMT was appalling.

now that im an ubers mod in the room, new people can say what up or something to me if they want! i'm usually responsive because most of my homework is reading and writing so I'll take breaks during paragraphs to respond. People are often harsh to the newer people, but i try to be nice to everyone! Do not let a mod's presence intimidate you as I know it can, i promise i'm a pretty nice dude.

Right, I'm mccauley

Last edited:

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Reposting from UPL week 1 thread, where it was deleted.
Melee Mewtwo said:
There's no rules for this kind of thing in place, at least none that are actually enforced with any sort of consistency. Minority was just ballsy enough to shit on an idol rather than the village idiot.
._.
Melee Mewtwo said:
If you want to actually deal with this shit, you are going to have to apply this new rule to defend more than just the Certified Good Pokémon Battlers. (sorry steelphoenix, you are still trash™) For example, quite a few of the predictions in this thread have equal levels of salt in them.
Completely agree with this - being "acknowledged" for playing a pre-teen demographic game nets you more "equality" than others. If you actually want this community to be fixed, you can't sit back on your ass and let it try to resolve itself - you've tried that twice now and failed both times. Yes, the community is a bitchy, hormone influenced adolescent sausage fest, but that's a given - especially seeing as its the few as opposed to the many that are ruining it for everyone else, it shouldn't be hard to just be a bit more proactive than reactive in fixing the community's problems.

My two cents, of course.

*sorry for necro, but obv its something thats come up again and should be addressed*

Last edited:

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
If you actually want this community to be fixed, you can't sit back on your ass and let it try to resolve itself - you've tried that twice now and failed both times.
There isn't a reason to call out MM2 on apparent laziness when he has given up all responsibilities and ties he has with the tier. Totally uncalled for, man :/

Can't you guys mind your own business? I mean if aim wanted to infract Minority he could have done it. He didn't, so no need to talk about it anymore. I was pretty much one of the salties persons in ubers, but dudes it's a game. The person, I literally hated the most was Piexplode. Well it's just a game, so I can't really say that I hate anybody, "so I didn't liked him that much". We talked a bit in a private conversation and it was fine, I won't call him out anymore, because he lurked a bit more and worked on his attitude. So did I. What I want to say is, is there really a reason to call somebody out in a game designed for childrens? Really mates if you don't like somebody ignore them. If not tell a moderator here and they will get an infraction. Oh and grant others their success. I don't see a reason why to disrespect somebody for the work he has done, no need to be jealous. Aim gets paid for playing the game we all like more or less, because he works for it. No reason to be that salty. In my opinion Fireburn should have infracted Minority regardless of what Joey did. If he doesn't want to it's one thing but Burni you should have done it in my opinion because you are the leader and should not accept that. I agree it is rather funny that I say that because I can be very salty as well and I can't and I don't want to deny, that some of my posts in the past should have been infracted too, because they were just shit, but lets be honest, if you do not get any infractions, the whole ubers subforums will turn into anarchy and users won't feel any limits and will continue it. For example the UPL and what Krauersaut did, don't get me wrong man. New users get infracted for posting 5 Pokémons instead of a full squad and in here you can call people out like it's nothing. It's pretty absurd in my opinion. Like I said I am not the "perfect user" as well but I saw my mistakes and worked on it and it paid off. Think about it.

#iphonegrammar

Alright, I probably shouldn't post this but here we go: I'm quitting Smogon in general, not just Ubers. For the past few months it has been very difficult for me to keep up with this game, I've been trying to get into new metagames such as Doubles / VGC and OU, however, I realized I don't have the same motivation and passion I had when I learned Ubers back in 2012. I'm at a stage where I want to do big things with my life and Pokemon just gets in the way of them, I have hopes and dreams like everybody else and I've realized I need to stop playing this game in order for them to come true. Yeah, it sounds like I think I'm someone very important to you guys but that's really not my reasoning for posting this here, I know I'm going to be asked in irc and PS (which I'm still gonna be logging on to) why I quit so I'd rather just leave everything in this post. Thanks a lot to the friends I made in the Ubers community (and on Smogon in general obviously), you guys are amazing. I'll probably still talk to some of you if you hit me up on irc / Skype, I wish you all the best.

I'm not going to pretend I know what goes on outside of the forums. I'm not going to pretend I know even a fraction of the Ubers community or what they do. What I do know is that if a community appears to be toxic, then salty responses do not make the issue better. If anything, your blind animosity just makes things worse by needlessly driving a wedge between the established community and those who are more disassociated with them, which goes against the goal of trying to bring a community together. If you have an issue with how any of those members conduct their business, then rather than just coming in here and blindly flaming people and insulting people who are trying to at least leave gracefully as opposed to randomly disappearing, try actually stating examples of what they did that you thought was inappropriate or unbecoming of the community. I'm not sure if you're posting here because you think you're helping, but whatever the reason is posts like yours will accomplish nothing in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)