The Next Best Thing: Jirachi

Approved by Arcticblast, LightningLuxray. Art done by myself n_n

The Next Best Thing
next best thing art 2222.png
Introduction:
Hello my name is deoxys speed, and I am taking over this thread from LightingLuxray. :]
Hello my name is Arcticblast and I will be babying this for a few weeks before giving it back to deoxys speed

What is this?:

I for one, along with many others I'm sure, feel as though there is some untapped power within the Doubles environment. There is substantial evidence for this idea in the form of one commonality for most tiers, Doubles included: there always seems to be one or more new-fangled, hyped up sets that weren't originally main-stay or seen as "viable" by the community, but somehow has taken the metagame by storm. This can be seen in DPP OU (with Special Lucario transitioning to SD Lucario, Heatran eventually running items other than Choice Scarf, and the influx of ChestoRest Kingdra) in ADV (with the vaunted TyraniBoah now becoming almost an urban myth in comparison to Special and DD Tyranitar, and the increasing popularity of SupeRachi) and in BW OU (with the advent of SubSalac Terrakion, SubDisable Gengar, and ChestoRest Volcarona). Yes, some of these sets may have been found early on with respect to the creation of the tier or fairly recently, the point is, though, that there seems to be an endless supply of effective and potent sets out there yet to be discovered, especially factoring in metagame swings and the possible tier shifts. The purpose of this project will be to systematically subject each and every Doubles Pokemon to a collective body of research in an attempt to uncover these "hidden gems", so to speak, and hopefully spark some creativity throughout the Doubles community.

The Process:

Each week, I will choose a different Doubles Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiosity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site. If an analysis isn't currently being written, please use common sense when making a nomination. Participants will be given 5 days to create their set, with discussion about the particular sets being promoted throughout, and on the 6th and 7th day of the week, a vote will be held to choose which user's set represented the most creative and simultaneously competitively viable set to utilize in the current Doubles metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is crowned, the set will be archived in the OP and the process will start all over again for the next Pokemon specimen.

What are we looking for?:

Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential. Having said that, I would also like to deviate from simple one move / item changes. For example, using Lum Berry over Life Orb on an SD Virizion does nothing to show any untapped potential Virizion has because we already have a basic understanding of what SD Virizion is and does, it's just now better at dealing with status and has less power. The same goes for using Iron Head over Stone Edge on SD Cobalion, it doesn't yield productive discussion or results for the project. I am looking for sets that test what we think we know about checks or counters, so-called standards, and what it means to be viable. Maybe a particular option for a Pokemon looks inferior at first glance for that particular Pokemon, but dig deeper and try and find what it might mean in the big picture, for the entire team.

Arcticblast says: if you consistently post well, you can earn yourself a Community Contributor badge!

Thread timeline:
-

Last edited by a moderator:

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hopefully this time when we do this, user KyleCole won't get robbed of winning each week due to OP disliking his sets despite him getting the most likes/support in this thread (prime example being swag thund-i). :(

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 HP / 24 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat / Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon / Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge / Ancient Power

I've actually used this before and I quite like it, being pretty useful to surprise opponents expecting slower sub trans. The moveslots are pretty easily changeable with each other, heat wave obviously giving you spread while overheat gets more powerful. Earth power bops other trans that are expecting to tie/be faster then you and flash cannon because fuck diancie and terrak. Stone Edge and Ancient Power are there pretty much only for zard, stone edge hits zard y harder even when modest while ancient power hits everything else and doesn't miss. This is probably most useful for your first surprise KO and then you have to play it cautiously once they know you're scarf.

Edit: Shaian + Stratos explain the set in the posts underneath, thanks for the help. :)

252 SpA Heatran Overheat vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 426-504 (98.6 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

24- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 300-356 (101 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 232-276 (78.1 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Magma storm bypasses wide guard and kills amoong/aegi/sash bisharp from higher percentages. If it didn't have terrible accuracy, that alone would make it a viable choice. The best part, though, is you can trap mons, including: taunted cress, burned/intimidated attackers, and other things that would beat your team if given the chance to switch out and come back in later. I'm running sub because it prefers staying on the field, so it might as well spend its time setting up. The EVs hit a lefties number and outspeed adamant lando under twind, but even at 252+ it can't ohko aegislash and amoong, so be warned.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat / Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon / Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge / Ancient Power

I've actually used this before and I quite like it, being pretty useful to surprise opponents expecting slower sub trans. The moveslots are pretty easily changeable with each other, heat wave obviously giving you spread while overheat gets more powerful. Earth power bops other trans that are expecting to tie/be faster then you and flash cannon because fuck diancie and terrak. Stone Edge and Ancient Power are there pretty much only for zard, stone edge hits zard y harder even when modest while ancient power hits everything else and doesn't miss. This is probably most useful for your first surprise KO and then you have to play it cautiously once they know you're scarf.

252+ SpA Heatran Overheat vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 470-554 (108.7 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 292-344 (98.3 - 115.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 256-304 (86.1 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
If i were to use scarftran i'd definitely use timid to make sure I outspeed Skymin, otherwise it doesnt really seem worth it. Bonus: EV to beat Gar, dump enough atk to make edge always an ohko on zard

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If i were to use scarftran i'd definitely use timid to make sure I outspeed Skymin, otherwise it doesnt really seem worth it. Bonus: EV to beat Gar, dump enough atk to make edge always an ohko on cress
for reference: 36 HP / 24 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe

reason for 36 / 4 / 4 is because it takes hits better (sometimes) on both sides than just dumping 44, also use 200 spe to outrun 130's like mega gengar (also 196 to 200 gives you 2 points, instead of 1) qwerts

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
late votes

KyleCole's Overheat Heatran
qwerts' Scarftran
Yellow Paint's Magma Storm Heatran

pick one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)