Iron Chef: Smogon UU Edition - Teambuilding Competition, R10 - Cantata! (See p#595)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Lord of Bays is right when he says the point is to see who can do the theme best, but the contestants aren't competing against the Iron Chefs - which does mean that this isn't as like the real Iron Chef as it could have been (assuming I remember correctly how the show went). Further, the Iron Chefs provide a means to evaluate how effective the contestants' creations are compared to more standard fare, which is highly desirable.

No one could be so bad as to be scared of Yabo this nigga can hardly make grilled cheese sandwiches let alone cook a 5 star dish
Apparently YABO can cook up a mean counterstyle, although we have yet to see just how accurate his claims are...

Why would you join a team building competition and not build your own team?
I built most of it. It's hard to work a Regenerator core onto a team without it being a shitty stall team. Especially without Slowbro or Tornadus-T. He only tweaked it and gave me a direction.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Isn't the whole point of Iron Chef to see who does the theme better? So forcing challengers to run double Regenerator but not making your Iron Chefs run the same is super unfair. Like forcing an actual Iron Chef challenger to use McDonald's grade beef and then letting incumbent chefs rock Kobe beef.
Leo and TBMA answered this as well as anyone, but to confirm: yeah, it's not actually an exact analogue of the show. As much as I like the Iron Chef show, I think an exact duplicate would be hard to pull off in a forum setting.

That said, I wanted to see people try to build teams that would actually be viable in the current UU metagame. So, I stretched the premise a bit - the contestants compete against the Iron Chefs in the arena for fame, glory and bonus points, but their actual teambuilding skill is compared against other contestants under the same teambuilding restrictions, not against the Iron Chefs.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hogg can Iron Chefs use multiple different teams throughout a round?

Anyways, I'm set to start slaying fools so challenge me on showdown if you want your dish put to shame by my miraculous culinary skills.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hogg can Iron Chefs use multiple different teams throughout a round?

Anyways, I'm set to start slaying fools so challenge me on showdown if you want your dish put to shame by my miraculous culinary skills.
Yeah, feel free to change up teams. Otherwise a late-entering chef might c-team you for free points.

I'm gonna keep track of this and all, but I won't be participating in the first round due to how much I hate these sorts of team that it'll inevitably be for me.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
We have had several new contenders!

Chef Mazz attempted to best Iron Chef Christo the Gr8 with a dish that balanced bulkier pivots such as Gligar and Amoongus with powerful offensive threats like Specs Hydreigon and Scarf Infernape. However, Iron Chef Christo's Mega-Pidgeot punched major holes in Mazz's creation right from the beginning, and despite an admirable finish, Iron Chef Christo emerged victorious.

Iron Chef YABO's first challenger was Chef teal6. Teal6 brought a fascinating dish that appeared on the outside to be a semi-stall team, boasting a defensive backbone of Slowking, Mega-Aggron and Aromatisse. However, he soon revealed several innovations such as Swords Dance Tangrowth, physical Azelf and Reversal Mienshao. Once teal6's Tangrowth was burned it seemed that Iron Chef YABO would ride away on Suicune's haunches as the victor, but a surprise Explosion from Azelf led teal6 to victory.

Chef Colbrushie was the second to face Iron Chef YABO, with a fascinating Trick Room team that combined Life Orb Slowking and Life Orb Chandelure as offensive Trick Room setters with quick topnotes of Mienshao and Crobat. He finished his dish with a peppery yet cooling Mega-Abomasnow. However, he could not break past Iron Chef YABO's Krookodile, and his own Trick Room came back to haunt him as he was forced to bring out Mienshao and Crobat while still under TR. Iron Chef YABO emerged victorious in the end.

Chef Clarion Valenheart seemed to bring things back to a more balanced dish, using the underrated Specs Reuniclus alongside LO Mienshao as a regenerator core. A fish course of defensive Spikes Qwilfish was a lovely addition to the plate. Iron Chef YABO fought back valiantly with threats such as mixed Mega-Abomasnow and Toxicroak, but an unfortunately timed full paralysis of Suicune led to the crumpling of his defensive backbone. In the end, Clarion Valenheart brought Iron Chef YABO to his second loss.

Finally, in an unorthodox move, Chef Mazz demanded an additional challenge against a different Iron Chef, and used that opportunity to thoroughly best Iron Chef YABO. The chairman and council are considering how best to handle such a daring and unheard-of move.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Still more challengers have entered Kitchen Coliseum!

Chef Sacri' brought an interesting dish to challenge Iron Chef Hairy Toenail, using a balance team with the rare Choice Specs Slowking, and a solid defensive foundation to the dish formed of Florges, Shaymin and Porygon2. Chef Sacri' came out of the gate strong, taking out two of Iron Chef baenail's most dangerous threats, special Salamence and Mega-Abomasnow, early in the match. However, Sacri''s Specs Slowking turned out to be a liability when it tricked its Specs onto baenail's multi-boosted Reuniclus, which proved to be too much for Sacri''s dish, and Sacri' became the first to fall before Iron Chef Hairy Toenail.

Sacri' was soon to have company, however. Chef LilOuOn also challenged Iron Chef Hairy Toenail, bringing a terrifying dish featuring such threats as Toxic Orb Heracross, Curselax and Taunt LO Hydreigon. Chef LilOuOn was also the first to bring the bulky Alomomola to the arena, holding his plate together healthy with its massive Wishes. Chef LilOuOn applied excellent pressure early on, but once Alomomola was brought down and a lucky critical dropped Hydreigon, Iron Chef baenail's SubDD Feraligatr managed to easily sweep the remainder of Chef LilOuOn's team.

Decision Makers brought an excellent balanced plate to the arena against Iron Chef YABO, built around a VoltTurn core of Mienshao, Mega-Ampharos and Gligar, with CM Slowking serving as the focal point of the dish. What followed was a long, grueling battle of the ages as the two chefs attempted to wear down each other's balance teams. After more than 60 turns, Decision Makers' Mega-Ampharos managed to take down the Roar Suicune that had been preventing DM's Slowking from doing much work, though it took a fatal burn and ultimately perished in the process. From there the teams continued to grind each other down until a full 100 turns, when Chef Decision Makers' Slowking brought home the victory.

Finally, regarding additional challenges to Iron Chefs: in the interest of keeping things simple, for this round I am only going to allow one challenge against an Iron Chef. If another Iron Chef agrees to battle you, you're more than welcome to include that replay for the judges to help show off your team, but I don't want to bog things down too much with repeat challenges.

That said, Mazz had a potential suggestion: allowing multiple Iron Chef battles, where winning gives you +2 points and losing means -1 points. This would discourage people from challenging multiple Iron Chefs if they were not confident in their dish, but would allow a Chef to potentially pick up as many as 8 bonus points. I don't want to change the rules so drastically this round, but I'm curious to see what people think about a suggestion like that for future rounds.

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Still more challengers have entered Kitchen Coliseum!

Chef Sacri' brought an interesting dish to challenge Iron Chef Hairy Toenail, using a balance team with the rare Choice Specs Slowking, and a solid defensive foundation to the dish formed of Florges, Shaymin and Porygon2. Chef Sacri' came out of the gate strong, taking out two of Iron Chef baenail's most dangerous threats, special Salamence and Mega-Abomasnow, early in the match. However, Sacri''s Specs Slowking turned out to be a liability when it tricked its Specs onto baenail's multi-boosted Reuniclus, which proved to be too much for Sacri''s dish, and Sacri' became the first to fall before Iron Chef Hairy Toenail.

Sacri' was soon to have company, however. Chef LilOuOn also challenged Iron Chef Hairy Toenail, bringing a terrifying dish featuring such threats as Toxic Orb Heracross, Curselax and Taunt LO Hydreigon. Chef LilOuOn was also the first to bring the bulky Alomomola to the arena, holding his plate together healthy with its massive Wishes. Chef LilOuOn applied excellent pressure early on, but once Alomomola was brought down and a lucky critical dropped Hydreigon, Iron Chef baenail's SubDD Feraligatr managed to easily sweep the remainder of Chef LilOuOn's team.

Decision Makers brought an excellent balanced plate to the arena against Iron Chef YABO, built around a VoltTurn core of Mienshao, Mega-Ampharos and Gligar, with CM Slowking serving as the focal point of the dish. What followed was a long, grueling battle of the ages as the two chefs attempted to wear down each other's balance teams. After more than 60 turns, Decision Makers' Mega-Ampharos managed to take down the Roar Suicune that had been preventing DM's Slowking from doing much work, though it took a fatal burn and ultimately perished in the process. From there the teams continued to grind each other down until a full 100 turns, when Chef Decision Makers' Slowking brought home the victory.

Finally, regarding additional challenges to Iron Chefs: in the interest of keeping things simple, for this round I am only going to allow one challenge against an Iron Chef. If another Iron Chef agrees to battle you, you're more than welcome to include that replay for the judges to help show off your team, but I don't want to bog things down too much with repeat challenges.

That said, Mazz had a potential suggestion: allowing multiple Iron Chef battles, where winning gives you +2 points and losing means -1 points. This would discourage people from challenging multiple Iron Chefs if they were not confident in their dish, but would allow a Chef to potentially pick up as many as 8 bonus points. I don't want to change the rules so drastically this round, but I'm curious to see what people think about a suggestion like that for future rounds.
I think this is a great idea it will not only help prove who has the better team but also allow iron chefs to get more games as I have noticed YABO and christo have recieved a majority of them, it would be nice to see the other chefs get more games

I didn't expand on this much, as I only briefly mentioned it on IRC last night. Allow me to elaborate;

Teams are currently judged on effectiveness, uniqueness, and how well the theme is used. Winning can only snag you 3 points, and I (as well as some others) are confused by this. Winning, by direct extension, is evidence of effectiveness. If your team does not win, your team is not effective, or not effective enough. While I understand that players with more skill can get more mileage on a less-effective team in comparison to a new user with that same team, wins and losses are the easiest and most direct way to measure a team's effectiveness.

Currently, the point system in place, following the order I presented above is 10-5-5-3. In order to capitalize on a better way to judge effectiveness, I'd like to propose a change to the way the scoring works. Winning against a chef is worth 2 points and you may challenge all four. If you lose, you will lose a point. Each chef may only be challenged once. Originality and use of the theme remain as 5 points each. "Effectiveness" is now worth up to a bonus of 5 points and shall be based on the scores of matches. If the user is only winning matches by a hair, less or zero points are awarded. If the user blows the current Iron Chefs out of the water, then more or all 5 points are rewarded.

The new point system would look like this: a-5-5-b, with "a" being any integer value between -4 and 8 (based on W/L record), and "b" being any whole number between 0-5 (based on user effectiveness).

EDIT: Essentially, the current process is very arbitrary. How do you judge a team's effectiveness based on one match? You must consider match-up, alternate threats, and even user effectiveness. That is mighty difficult to observe in one match, and allowing for more than one fixes this.

In order to keep users from racking up points, the current Iron Chefs must be better. I don't think the burden of not racking up points is to be put on the entrant here - these four players were chosen because they are a cut above the rest. It's time for them to step up and prove it. To alleviate your issue with players racking up points, it should be up to the four Iron Chefs to beat the user. If certain users prove to be too good for the current batch of chefs, it should be up to you, the chairman, to cut the weakest link and offer this better user a place among the Iron Chefs. Such a change would of course require new requirements for what it takes to be an Iron Chef, something you can iron out later.

EDIT 2: Also, in terms of evaluation by the Iron Chefs (and Chairman?), what will the evaluation look like? If a user gets a near-perfect to perfect score, I can see praise being thrown around, but what about those who fare poorly? Will the four Chefs provide teambuilding tips for the future and "rate" the team? This is something I'd like to see happen if this wasn't the plan, as it encourages better competition in later rounds.

Last edited:

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Needs more tldr, but I like your idea. Seems more effective and makes this a bit more challenging to not only the challenger, but the chiefs, which sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)