(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Whose idea was it to give the Happiny line such a wide movepool--one a ton of Pokemon would kill for--and no stat to really use it with? Just look at what Blissey can do--all of these are moves other mons are likely to be packing competitively.
  • Special: Blizzard, Dazzling Gleam, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Focus Blast, Grass Knot, Hyper Voice, Ice Beam, Icy Wind, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Thunder, Thunderbolt.
  • Physical: Brick Break, Drain Punch (infamously), Earthquake, Egg Bomb, Facade, all three Elemental Punches, Iron Tail, Power-up-Punch (again, infamously), Return, Rock Slide, Wild Charge, Zen Headbutt.
  • Not to mention both Aromatherapy and Heal Bell (because screw Imprison!), all four weathers, Light Screen, Calm Mind, Gravity, and Healing Wish.
  • For you Doubles players: Heal Pulse, Helping Hand, Protect, Safeguard, Skill Swap, and the ability Healer.
  • And to further augment attacks, the ability Serene Grace. If Thunder hits, you have better-than-even odds of scoring a para and maybe, just maybe, outspeeding something. Shadow Ball: 40% chance of a SpD drop.
All with...a pretty bad speed tier even under Trick Room, an only barely-usable 75 SpA, and, of course, those defenses--outbulked by its own pre-evo (because Eviolite, but still). If they ever make more BST adjustments like they did this gen, I hope they give Blissey a SpA boost to 85 or 90 so it can actually do something and not just be a less-bulky Chansey that can hold Leftovers. To have this kind of versatility but no ability to utilize it is simply ridiculous.
This just made me imagine what Mega Blissey would be like.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Whose idea was it to give the Happiny line such a wide movepool--one a ton of Pokemon would kill for--and no stat to really use it with? Just look at what Blissey can do--all of these are moves other mons are likely to be packing competitively.
  • Special: Blizzard, Dazzling Gleam, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Focus Blast, Grass Knot, Hyper Voice, Ice Beam, Icy Wind, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Thunder, Thunderbolt.
  • Physical: Brick Break, Drain Punch (infamously), Earthquake, Egg Bomb, Facade, all three Elemental Punches, Iron Tail, Power-up-Punch (again, infamously), Return, Rock Slide, Wild Charge, Zen Headbutt.
  • Not to mention both Aromatherapy and Heal Bell (because screw Imprison!), all four weathers, Light Screen, Calm Mind, Gravity, and Healing Wish.
  • For you Doubles players: Heal Pulse, Helping Hand, Protect, Safeguard, Skill Swap, and the ability Healer.
  • And to further augment attacks, the ability Serene Grace. If Thunder hits, you have better-than-even odds of scoring a para and maybe, just maybe, outspeeding something. Shadow Ball: 40% chance of a SpD drop.
All with...a pretty bad speed tier even under Trick Room, an only barely-usable 75 SpA, and, of course, those defenses--outbulked by its own pre-evo (because Eviolite, but still). If they ever make more BST adjustments like they did this gen, I hope they give Blissey a SpA boost to 85 or 90 so it can actually do something and not just be a less-bulky Chansey that can hold Leftovers. To have this kind of versatility but no ability to utilize it is simply ridiculous.
Well the Happiny family can take advantage of some of the Status Moves at least. Anyway it having all sorts of attacks is because its a Normal-type who get a large elemental movepool even though they won't be able to use it (I guess to make up for their STAB not having anything weak to it). Of course why it learns all sort of offensive Tutor Moves is beyond me. Serene Grace is at least somewhat useful to Blissey if it decides to carry a Special Move, though still wasted on it (it pretty much only has it for flavor). I suppose you could try a complex strategy of maybe having it afflict opponent's with status ailments or boosting itself for allies to copy, but there are better Pokemon that can do that. I don't think they'll boost Blissey's stats by much but...

This just made me imagine what Mega Blissey would be like.
Blissey's current BST is 255/10/10/75/135/55//540. While I don't think Mega Blissey's Special Defense will beat an Eviolite Chansey, if they increase both its defense stats considerably, its Special Attack a bit, and decrease its Speed I can maybe see it carve itself a niche as a super wall with some Special Attacking potential (and even more useful in Trick Room sets). Of course it would also probably change its Ability to something like Healer (though if its lucky it could get Regenerator, if it can live longer it has more time to heal its allies).

1) Cyrus, Mr. "Emotion is Useless" has a Golbat which later evolved into Crobat. I don't think I need to explain what's wrong here.

2) Flower Gift boosts Attack and Special Defense. This is when it's only user, Cherrim is a Special Attacker and desperately needed a boost in Speed and Special Attack.

3) Eevee can evolve into Espeon / Umbreon while in the Distortion World, the place where no time passes. Face palms.
1) I think Karxrida and pika pal already answered that, though I'd like to add the people who made team probably weren't thinking about that (which is odd as that was the thought process for having Silver's Crobat, lol). They probably gave him a Crobat because its a big scary creature (not to mention the Zubat family is commonly used by villain teams, though oddly not usually by Team Galactic) with good stats so it would be challenging for the player to face. Though sometimes I do wonder how certain boss teams are chosen.

2) Well Flower Gift also helps allies at least. I'm guessing they probably think the only reason why anyone would use it is for its Ability.
Hmm, I wonder what a Mega Cherrim would be like. There are a few ways it can go, though I suppose the best thing for it would be to concentrate on its Ability.

3) Oops. Hmm, MAYBE Eevee's internal (and any other Pokemon who's evolution is time dependent) clock sort of freezes when entering the Distortion World so when it evolves its body is remembering the last time it was in the real world? (Yes I know mechanically this doesn't work as if you entered it during the day but leveled up at night Eevee would attempt to evolve to Umbreon). I suppose its internal clock could maybe keep going for a while until it starts feeling the effects of Distortion World.
But yeah, its more likely an oversight. :P

I don't expect a Mega Blissey. And it needs Leftovers, but ... If it had to happen, I imagine a switch between Sp.Att/Sp.Def, and to more def and speed.

Something like that :

255/10/10/75/135/55 TOTAL : 540
-->
255/10/75/135/75/90 TOTAL : 640

Ability Serene Grace. and you can use Calm Mind and the higher def bulk to rape things

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't expect a Mega Blissey. And it needs Leftovers, but ... If it had to happen, I imagine a switch between Sp.Att/Sp.Def, and to more def and speed.

Something like that :

255/10/10/75/135/55 TOTAL : 540
-->
255/10/75/135/75/90 TOTAL : 640

Ability Serene Grace. and you can use Calm Mind and the higher def bulk to rape things
Hmm, that would be too much of a overhaul in my opinion. The Chansey family weren't exactly meant to be offensive Pokemon, sort of goes against their theme. I'm more imagining:

Normal/Fairy
Regenerator
255/10/105/90/165/15//640
My main focus was trying to keep it from being a Mega Audino clone. While Mega Audino has better defenses all around and better as a cleric, Mega Blissey would focus not only on defense but also its Special stats including its Special Attack. It's Special Attack is good enough so that it could use Special Moves but its main role is still that of a wall/supporter/cleric. While Mega Audino is meant to help its allies directly, Mega Blissey has a few options as its Ability heals it so what it does depends on what Moves it has. Its also much slower (I imagine it become much more bigger and rounder, making moving around difficult and possibly unneeded for it), so you can either count on it moving last or being very fast in a Trick Room team. So basically while Mega Audino is good for Doubles or Triples, Mega Blissey is meant for other formats like Singles.

However I think we're starting to go into theorymoning which I don't think is allowed so let's move onto something effect me today personally.

Here is a list of characters in ORAS: Your mom, your dad, your friendly neighbor rival (for me its May), Professor Birch, your rival's mom/Birch's wife, and maybe Hoenn Gym Guide.
Here is a second list of characters, well, character: Pokemon Center Nurse.

What's the difference between the two? One group remembers its your Birthday while the other group act as if nothing special is happening. Guess which is which:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I decorated the Pokemon Center too! I tried to invite people close to you but they acted like they had no idea what was going on. Well, at least you get special Pokemon Center music today!

I'M CHAMPION AND SAVED THE WORLD! Why no family and friends love me? BW2 had the right idea, your mother should be the Pokemon Center Nurse; I bet she never forgot the BW2 player's birthday...

Hmm, that would be too much of a overhaul in my opinion. The Chansey family weren't exactly meant to be offensive Pokemon, sort of goes against their theme. I'm more imagining:

Normal/Fairy
Regenerator
255/10/105/90/165/15//640
My main focus was trying to keep it from being a Mega Audino clone. While Mega Audino has better defenses all around and better as a cleric, Mega Blissey would focus not only on defense but also its Special stats including its Special Attack. It's Special Attack is good enough so that it could use Special Moves but its main role is still that of a wall/supporter/cleric. While Mega Audino is meant to help its allies directly, Mega Blissey has a few options as its Ability heals it so what it does depends on what Moves it has. Its also much slower (I imagine it become much more bigger and rounder, making moving around difficult and possibly unneeded for it), so you can either count on it moving last or being very fast in a Trick Room team. So basically while Mega Audino is good for Doubles or Triples, Mega Blissey is meant for other formats like Singles.

However I think we're starting to go into theorymoning which I don't think is allowed so let's move onto something effect me today personally.

Here is a list of characters in ORAS: Your mom, your dad, your friendly neighbor rival (for me its May), Professor Birch, your rival's mom/Birch's wife, and maybe Hoenn Gym Guide.
Here is a second list of characters, well, character: Pokemon Center Nurse.

What's the difference between the two? One group remembers its your Birthday while the other group act as if nothing special is happening. Guess which is which:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I decorated the Pokemon Center too! I tried to invite people close to you but they acted like they had no idea what was going on. Well, at least you get special Pokemon Center music today!

I'M CHAMPION AND SAVED THE WORLD! Why no family and friends love me? BW2 had the right idea, your mother should be the Pokemon Center Nurse; I bet she never forgot the BW2 player's birthday...
It's better than before, where no one gave even half a fuck whether it was your birthday or not...

To add onto the Blissey discussion, I just get annoyed at Pokemon getting movepools they clearly weren't/aren't designed to use effectively.

Blissey was already covered, but lets not forget Tauros' Amazing Special movepool, managing such feats as
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 234-276 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Or probably the one I'm most annoyed at: the Nido's. At first I thought Gamefreak was on the right track, Sheer Force meshing very well with their Special movepool and at least usable stat (for a regular mon). And then along comes Gen 6, each gets a buff... to their Physical Attack. This makes me think Gamefreak legitimately wants them to be Physical attackers, but doesn't understand what people are using them for and why. Either buff their Special Attacks, or give them some better physical moves for SF. The elemental punches can work well enough in place of the beams (only exception is FB vs Fire Punch) and Gunk Shot is outright better than Sludge Wave, so introduce a Physical Ground move for SF (but please don't give it to Lando. The genie's enough of a pain as it is).

Sometimes, I just wonder how closely GF pays attention to what they make or think their decisions through in Flavor vs Practice. These were the designers that were surprised that Aegislash, a Pokemon with Base 150 on both offense spectrums in Blade Forme, was being used as a Special attacker as much or more than as a Physical one.

The swords dance set on Aegislash was very famous in the early X&Y, more than the special set
I understand Physical being effective, but they just seemed surprised to see Special Aegislash being used enough to be considered a "standard-ish" set rather than a random lure.

30% of Aegislash in the first season of Battle Spot Doubles I believe carried Shadow Ball, which indicated Special attacking in some capacity.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
To add onto the Blissey discussion, I just get annoyed at Pokemon getting movepools they clearly weren't/aren't designed to use effectively.

Blissey was already covered, but lets not forget Tauros' Amazing Special movepool, managing such feats as
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 234-276 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Or probably the one I'm most annoyed at: the Nido's. At first I thought Gamefreak was on the right track, Sheer Force meshing very well with their Special movepool and at least usable stat (for a regular mon). And then along comes Gen 6, each gets a buff... to their Physical Attack. This makes me think Gamefreak legitimately wants them to be Physical attackers, but doesn't understand what people are using them for and why. Either buff their Special Attacks, or give them some better physical moves for SF. The elemental punches can work well enough in place of the beams (only exception is FB vs Fire Punch) and Gunk Shot is outright better than Sludge Wave, so introduce a Physical Ground move for SF (but please don't give it to Lando. The genie's enough of a pain as it is).

Sometimes, I just wonder how closely GF pays attention to what they make or think their decisions through in Flavor vs Practice. These were the designers that were surprised that Aegislash, a Pokemon with Base 150 on both offense spectrums in Blade Forme, was being used as a Special attacker as much or more than as a Physical one.
Once again, Tauros is a Normal-type so that explains why it learns all those moves. But unlike Chansey who are female thus will always breed a Chansey/Happiny, being Tauros are male there's maybe a possibility you can breed onto another Pokemon a Move they could only get through Breeding, so there's some use there.

As for the Nidos, their Attack has been bigger then their Special Attack according to their BST so that's probably why they got the Attack increase (though that really only makes sense for Nidoking (who also looks like a physical Pokemon), Nidoqueen's looks to be sorta defensive so if anything it should have gotten a Defense increase). They may make for better Special Attackers (and I can see why looking at their Movepools. Seriously GF Nidoking doesn't learn Gunk Shot and you expect us to us it Physically? Especially when in ORAS you put Poison Jab on a Mirage Spot which I haven't gotten yet!) but I wouldn't be surprised if their Mega Evos who more Physical based. Honestly though, if they wanted them to be Physical they should redo their BST which can be said about so many other Pokemon. Also wouldn't the Physical Ground-type move of choice be Earthquake?

For Aegislash maybe they were thinking people would use a mix set? Also it does have high damaging Physical moves like Head Smash, Sacred Sword, and Iron Head (which is tied with Flash Cannon in Power) and Shadow Sneak could have its uses. That said, with its Special Attack being the same as Attack and it having Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon I think gives it a pretty good Special set (plus King's Shield and an extra move, probably Toxic or Rest).

The only thing I can add to the list are the common offenders (Slack Off Snorlax, Sludge Wave Gengar (through TM), Brave Bird & Rock Head Aerodactyl, Dragon Dance Flygon, Play Rough Xerneas, Flare Blitz Flareon, etc.).

I wasted a move on my Latios by teaching it Fly in ORAS because I got tired of backtracking and didn't want to carry a random low level flyer. Then I got the Eon flute.

Why not grab a Taillow or Wingull? They're not bad Pokemon at all, especially in an in-game context where they're not facing the stiffest competition.

Something less trivial but still annoying is when you're in the Battle Maison, and it seems as if all the opponents carry a berry to weaken a specific attack type. What's worse is when it's on something like Aerodactyl.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I wasted a move on my Latios by teaching it Fly in ORAS because I got tired of backtracking and didn't want to carry a random low level flyer. Then I got the Eon flute.
This is why I added a Skarmory onto my team. While I wasn't originally planning on adding it, once I encountered it I thought aout it and started to use the Dex Nav to see what special moves it could learn. When I found one of the move was Brave Bird it went right onto my team, later becoming my Fly Pokemon (I only needed 3 moves to have it do what I want it to do: Brave Bird, Steel Wing, and Night Slash).

Something less trivial but still annoying is when you're in the Battle Maison, and it seems as if all the opponents carry a berry to weaken a specific attack type. What's worse is when it's on something like Aerodactyl.
Yeah, but of course they're going to become annoying when they start using competitive strategies.

This is why I added a Skarmory onto my team. While I wasn't originally planning on adding it, once I encountered it I thought aout it and started to use the Dex Nav to see what special moves it could learn. When I found one of the move was Brave Bird it went right onto my team, later becoming my Fly Pokemon (I only needed 3 moves to have it do what I want it to do: Brave Bird, Steel Wing, and Night Slash).

Yeah, but of course they're going to become annoying when they start using competitive strategies.
It's more amusing when it's with a Pokemon that has a x4 weakness to something, like Abomnasnow, as though it's really going to save them from being OHKO'd... But hey, I guess all the more reason for Unnerve to exist, right?

Just the sound of the berry being eaten and then the fact that I sometimes have to hit a second time really aggravates me.
Welcome to the pain of the Focus Sash, especially when it is on Pokémon randomly, like Greninja. Hell, one person I fought had it on many of his Pokémon.

Or Petal Blizzard, which is a physical Grass move learned exclusively by specially-inclined Pokemon.

Meganium. Gets a physical boost (Swords Dance) but not a special one, doesn't get Power Whip like Venusaur, has no other way to make itself viable. That mon could use Petal Blizzard pretty well. (Still has no movepool, though.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 8)