ORAS Doubles OU One Thousand and One Nights (Smogdubs UU Team Peaked #1)

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
upload_2015-2-22_18-51-12.png

Thanks to pkparaiso.com and serebii.net for the sprites

upload_2015-2-22_19-7-50.png

TRIPLE GENIE HYPE!!
Introduction
Yo what's up, my name is DaAwesomeDude1. I'm here to show you another team that I have had immense success with, this time in Smogon Doubles UU. Honestly it isn't even that big of an accomplishment considering no one even plays on this ladder rofl but hey whatever :P. I already did my introduction and whatnot in my first RMT so let's just jump right to the team.​

The team is based around a core consisting of the three genies: Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus (hence the title). I made this team for the Smogdubs UU Minitour (that I scrubbed out hard in ;_;) and is a variation of my Smogdubs Triple Genie team. I actually decided to use a naming theme this time around, my team is named after various Volleyball positions. (Volleyball is a manly sport ok ;_;)

Look at the Team

Teambuilding Process

Since I'm using Triple Genies, obviously my first 3 Pokemon will be the 3 Genies. The only one I should really be explaining is Tornadus since the forms of the other two are banned in Doubles UU. I chose the Incarnate form over the Therian form because I wanted this team to be a Tailwind Offense team. Access to priority Taunt is really nice as well since it lets me stop Trick Room.

I
t's pretty obvious that HailRoom teams and Ice in general will destroy this team so I added in Genesect to help with that. Iron Head is great to check Ice types and Extremespeed is really handy to pick off weakened Pokemon.

I wanted another physical attacker as well as another Pokemon to beat Ice types so I decided on Lopunny. Fake Out support is really nice especially in combination with Scrappy and it boosts a whopping base 135 Speed which pretty much outruns the entire unboosted meta.

I then needed something for Fire types like Victini as well as a check to Landorus so I added in Milotic. Competitive is great for when you face those cheeky people using the lord-tier Arcanine + Spinda combo since it lets you get a free +2 and demolish with Scald.

Set Analysis

Setter (Tornadus) (M) @

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 44 SpA / 68 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
-Hurricane

-Taunt

-Tailwind

-Icy Wind

In Depth:
Can't really say much about this set tbh. Hurricane is a strong STAB move, Taunt lets me shut down opposing Tornadus, Trick Room, and support moves in general, and Tailwind because this is a Tailwind Offense team. I opted for Icy Wind in the last slot because I wanted another form of speed control and not rely on Tailwind all the time. Sitrus Berry for instant mass recovery and the EV spread was taken from one of my Thundurus on one of my VGC team lol.

Alternate Options:

The EV spread isn't set and can be changed depending on what your team needs, I find the first 3 moves mandatory on Tornadus however the last slot is up to preference. Alternatively, you can run Rain Dance on this thing and make it more of a rain attacker.

Left Forward (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @

Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power [Flying]

In Depth:

Not much to say either lol. Volt Switch to grab momentum whereas Thunderbolt is just a stronger STAB. Grass Knot lets me hit Gastrodon and Rhyperior. Opted for HP Flying over Ice because it generally hits more. Flying lets me hit Abomasnow and Fighting types for super-effective while HP Ice really only lets me hits Landorus/Thundurus harder. Choice Specs is used to let me hit super hard and I like it more than Life Orb. EV spread is pretty standard.

Alternate Options:
First two moves are definitely mandatory while the last two can be changed depending on the team. Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb, HP Ice, HP Water (if you're deathly afraid of camel lol) are all options for Thundurus T. Specs can be switched out with Life Orb if you want but I'm not a fan of the decrease in power.

Opposite (Landorus) (M) @

Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
-Earth Power
-Protect
-Rock Slide
-Sludge Bomb

In Depth:

Landorus is such an amazing special attacker OML. Earth Power, which is boosted by Sheer Force, and further boosted by Life Orb, and FURTHER boosted by STAB, coming off of a pretty high Special Attack stat, hurts a lot (I might be exaggerating its power a bit lol but it's powerful nonetheless). Protect cause protect, I chose Rock Slide for the next slot because it's the best move in the game I realized that so far, my team is completely walled by Rotom-H so I needed an answer for it, not being able to flinch tho sucks. Sludge Bomb for my last slot as an answer to Fairy types. EV spread is pretty standard and Life Orb cause Sheer Force negates the recoil from it if I'm using a move with a secondary effect.

Alternate Options:
Landorus can run many options such as Focus Blast, Grass Knot, and HP Ice. A full on physical set can be used as well to abuse its higher attack stat though its special movepool is a lot better.

Middle Blocker (Genesect) @

Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
-Iron Head
-U-turn
-Extreme Speed
-Ice Beam

In Depth:
Iron Head and U-Turn are both STAB moves that are boosted by Choice Band. I chose Extreme Speed for the next slot to pick off weakened Pokemon and it can allow me to hit first under Trick Room. Ice Beam as the final move since it lets me hit the Genies. Max Atk to maximize damage output and max Speed for, well, speed lol. Chose Choice Band because it allows it to hit harder physically as well as giving me a better Trick Room matchup.

Alternate Options:
Iron Head, U-Turn, and Ice Beam are mandatory imo. Explosion and Blaze Kick are both options over E-Speed if you want to keep it on the more physical side. Blaze Kick lets you take out opposing Genesects and Escavalier while Explosion is just really strong lol. A more mixed variant can be used as well with Flamethrower over E-Speed.

Outside Hitter (Lopunny) (F) @

Ability: Limber -> Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Drain Punch
-Fake Out
-Return
-Protect

In Depth:
I'd say this is pretty standard for Mega Lopunny. Fake Out cause chip damage and lets me disrupt my opponent and Protect is protect. Return over Frustration cause no one uses Ditto and I actually want my Pokemon to like me :^) Drain Punch over High Jump Kick/Low Kick because HJK is way too shaky to use in doubles (considering Protect is going to be used on every team) and Low Kick doesn't really hit much in Smogdubs UU (it really only hits like Rhyperior harder) unlike regular Smogdubs where there is Heatran, Kyurem, and Terrakion. EV spread is standard.

Alternate Options:
Honestly there aren't many options Lopunny can run. If you want to go all in no fear, you could use High Jump Kick but I don't think it's worth it. Other than that, not really much options for Lopunny here.

Libero (Milotic) (F) @

Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpA / 12 SpD
Modest Nature
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Scald
-Hidden Power [Grass]

In Depth:

Honestly have no idea what I was going for when I made this set lol. Scald is STAB and its 100% burn chance is great whereas Ice Beam just lets me hit harder on Flying types and the Genies. Recover because I want longevity and HP Grass because I was expecting a lot of Milotic mirrors or Rain teams but that didn't really happen lol. I didn't really have an EV spread for it so I just went with Smogon lol and Leftovers cause more health (even though its damage output is super low).

Alternate Options:
Hydro Pump can be used over Scald but I like the burn chance of Scald better so I went with that. Icy Wind over Ice Beam is an option though I feel like I have enough speed control already lol. HP Fire can also be used over HP Grass to hit Pokemon like Genesect and Escavalier harder (which is probably what I'm gonna end up doing). Protect also works in one of those slots too.

Conclusion
Yeah that's it lol. Again, not too big of an accomplishment since no one plays on this ladder but thought I would share it anyways lol. Wish I did better in the minitour but oh well, you win some you lose some.

Shoutouts
I already did all of my shoutouts in my first RMT so I'm not gonna explain them again lol

Royalty,AM,TrinitrotolueneTyler0,Exeggutor,Eyan,Kreme,Bottt,The Bravest Bird,brokenwings,Hairy Toenail,MrAldo,Rob.
Incognitus,StarmeiTheGod,MKSLAYER97 and everyone else from Competitive Tutoring, you guys rock!
Everyone from Doubles room: I'm pretty new to the room but you guys are hilarious so I'm gonna stick around. You guys are great!
You: Thanks for reading this :]

Setter (Tornadus) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 44 SpA / 68 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Icy Wind

Left Forward (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Opposite (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Sludge Bomb

Middle Blocker (Genesect) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Beam

Outside Hitter (Lopunny) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Return
- Protect

Libero (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpA / 12 SpD
Modest Nature
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Attachments

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey DaAwesomeDude1, I'm really glad to see more people playing dubs UU, it's a really fun tier :^) Your team looks really cool, but I have a few suggestions for your team.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 116 Atk / 140 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Seeing as your team lacks some fire type coverage, it might be a good idea to run Flamethrower on your genesect rather than extremespeed. This lets you gets rid of such threats as other Genesect, Escalavier, and Jirachi. I think it would also be a good idea to run scarf over band, as Genesect's base 99 speed isn't really outspeeding anything.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sky Uppercut
- Protect

I personally like to run Sky Uppercut over Drain Punch on Lopunny. Even though uppercut has 10% less accuracy than that of drain punch, you're getting an extra 10 base power. Additionally, Lopunny is pretty frail, so recovering HP isnt worth it most of the time and you want to dish out as much damage as possible. Although, this is mostly just a preference thing. (to anyone reading that doesnt play doubles and is confused: high jump kick is ass in doubles because everything runs protect)

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
hey DaAwesomeDude1, I'm really glad to see more people playing dubs UU, it's a really fun tier :^) Your team looks really cool, but I have a few suggestions for your team.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 116 Atk / 140 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Seeing as your team lacks some fire type coverage, it might be a good idea to run Flamethrower on your genesect rather than extremespeed. This lets you gets rid of such threats as other Genesect, Escalavier, and Jirachi. I think it would also be a good idea to run scarf over band, as Genesect's base 99 speed isn't really outspeeding anything.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sky Uppercut
- Protect

I personally like to run Sky Uppercut over Drain Punch on Lopunny. Even though uppercut has 10% less accuracy than that of drain punch, you're getting an extra 10 base power. Additionally, Lopunny is pretty frail, so recovering HP isnt worth it most of the time and you want to dish out as much damage as possible. Although, this is mostly just a preference thing. (to anyone reading that doesnt play doubles and is confused: high jump kick is ass in doubles because everything runs protect)
Sweet thanks for the input, I actually didn't even know that lopunny learns Sky Uppercut rofl but yeah I'll make the changes and see how it works :]

hey it's cool to see someone RMTing this tier.
It looks like the biggest point of improvement is tornadus. it misses a lot, has two speed control forms, and its EVs don't do anything specific.
I would recommend running this EV spread instead
Tornadus (M)
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 68 SpA / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
It survives a bolt strike from a victini (with no boosting item, life orb was unreasonable.) and a stone edge from hariyama. On the special side, it survives a max spa rotom-h tbolt, and a Blizzard from mega obama (you will go down to hail). I didnt bother putting anything into speed because speed tiers are super hazy in UU and there is no reason to speed creep breloom.

For the moves you could definitely consider running air slash as a more accurate option to hurricane, seeing as you are already pretty supportive, and Hurricane won't OHKO 128 sdef hariyama (one of the most relevant calcs) anyways. If it were me i would definitely remove icy wind in favor of another coverage move. double speed control works best when it isnt on the same mon imo. Heat wave is a great choice in this tier as it hits important things 4x, such as abomasnow and escavalier, but you know, if you like icy wind, just you do you.

the main thing here is the spread. movepool stuff is just what i would be running if i were you.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
EDIT: IMPORTANT: i totally pasted the wrong EV spread before, i have changed my post with the one i wanted to paste. oml what a big mistake sorry.

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
Sweet thanks dude, I didnt find a good tornadus spread so I just went with one from my VGC team but this is gonna help a lot! Thanks again!

Very late reply but too bad

Why not change Icy Wind --> Rain Dance on Tornadus and Tbolt --> Thundurus?

Nice Rain mode + surprises Mega Charizard Y + Specs Thunder = holy shit so much power

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
Very late reply but too bad

Why not change Icy Wind --> Rain Dance on Tornadus and Tbolt --> Thundurus?

Nice Rain mode + surprises Mega Charizard Y + Specs Thunder = holy shit so much power
This is smogdubs UU so Charizards Y is banned so there really isn't a need to use Rain Dance. I wanted a reliable electric type STAB so I stuck with t bolt. I'll try out rain dance tho when I get the chance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)