VGC RMT - Road to VGC'15 - Give your opinion!! (1524)

Hello friends!! I'm a experienced player in 6vs6 and 3vs3 battles, but in terms of VGC i'm just an apprentice. I want to participate in the April Internacional Challenge so i build this team. It could reach 1524points in the ladder, but suddenly i started to lose battles so i'm asking what can make this team better. That's why i want you to give any opinion and suggestions, i will apreciate it a lot !!

THE TEAM:

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Modest
EV's: 236 HP/ 124 Def/ 148 SpA

Thunderbolt
Heat Wave
Protect
Tailwind

Zapdos is the Tailwind setter of the team, so usually is one of my leads. the EV spread plus Sitrus Berry allow him to survive 3 Rock Slide from Adamant Landorus, one of the most common leads, and be 3HKOed by Ice Beam from Suicune and Milotic, two pokemon that Zapdos is designed to counter, 2HKOing both of them with STAB Thunderbolt. Protect is useful to stall turns in case faster pokemon like Tornadus or Talonflame set up his own Tailwind before Zapdos.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Carefull
EV's: 252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 SpD

Will O Wisp
Taunt
Knock Off
Recover

I don't know how many battles Sableye has saved me. He is the one destined to spread burns into Landorus, Khan, Azumarril or any physical attacker and taunting any potencial tailwind setters. Also is my answer to trick room setters. Is so annoying for pokemon like amoongus or follow me abusers. This SpDefensive oriented spread let him take better SpAttacks and also physicall attacks from a burned opponent. Knock off is ultra useful to throw item's specially against Cresselia, taunting and throwing up her item.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Def

Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Ice Punch
Power-Up Punch/Zen Headbutt/

I realize that my team have troubles whith Fairy type and against Hyper Voice spam. At first, I incorporate a Weaknes Policy Aegislash, but my team lacks from another physical attacker so i decided to change it for the obsolete normal Metagross. Meteor Mash annihilates standard Sylveon and Gardevoir, and also do decent damage to the rest of the metagame. Ice punch hits hard any flying type without Def investiment and Bullet Punch avoid Sucker punch from Kangaskhan. I don't kwon what to run in the last slot, since PuP is useful but very situational, zen headbutt is better but leave Metagross completely walled by Heatran.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe

Hyper Voice
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Protect

My mega. I choose SpAttacker MegaMence because i think for double battles his movepool is better on the special side , allow him to hit both oponents with hyper voice, incinerate Steel types with Fire Blast and also the powerfull Draco Meteor. Not so much to say about this well-knowing monster. I run Modest nature because he needs all the power since he can't boost his stats on the special side, and with tailwind support the speed is covered.

Terrakion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Nature: Jolly
IV's 28 31 21 31 31 28
EV's: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe

Rock Slide
Close Combat
Protect
Double kick/ Earthquake

I know the IV's are imperfect, but is the best i can capture at that moment and tailwind remedies the problem with the speed IV's. Fire type was a pain for the team so i need something to checkk him, also Kanghaskan, Tallonflame and by far Heatran were threats, and what pokemon can counter all this enemys? Yes, only Terrakion with the incredible Rock/Fight combination. The dual STAB moves are obvious and Protect too for guard himself of an incoming potential OHKO attack. I try to run Life Orb, but if Sableye is not on the field to taunt the enemy, burn or paralysis can ruin Terrakion's day, so Lum Berry is the best choice. In the last slot again i have troubles, since Double Kick is useful to break substitutes, but Eartquake offers more coverage.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EV's: 92 HP/ 116 Def/ 252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 44 Spe

Hyper Voice
Psychock
Shadow Ball
Protect

Sylveon is the bulky powerhouse of the team. Hyper Voice hit really hard to everthing and helps to faint other Fairy types and also Water types if Zapdos isn't on the field. I run a more bulky EV spread but after some battles i decided to go with the CybertronProcutions Sylveon set, only giving 4 EV to SpD since at lvl 50 44 and 48 EV is the same to obtain 86 in speed. With that number, Sylveon can go for the speed tie with adamant/modest Salamence, and that's awsome. Protect is useful to surprise the oponent in case Sylveon takes a Knock off hit. Choice Specs is obviusly the item.

THREATS:

Whimsicott: This green thing is the faster Prankster of the game, also can set up Tailwind or even Trick Rom. That means he can taunt on Zapdos or even Sableye wich make's me go for a predict playstyle

Raikou: Since I lack a Ground type, Life orb Raikou can be a pain with his fast Thunderbolt & HP Ice

Trick Room teams: If Sableye can't Taunt the TR setter or the setter is holdding a Mental Herb i Have a bad time, depending on Metagross & Sylveon to win. Mawile is by far the major threat for my team since he can sweep all my team

Well that's all. If you've noticed more threats or suggestions about the EV spread and the movepool, I hope you give your opinions about my team and help me, Thank you!!

Attachments

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Hey dude cool team, I'm gonna go through each Pokemon individually and give you my opinions on them:

Zapdos: One of Zapdos's niche over Thundurus is the access to a reliable recovery move. Not using it is kind of a waste on Zapdos tbh so in that case I recommend switching from Protect to Roost. Also a minor nitpick, Thundurus doesn't learn Tailwind :P
Sableye: Moveset wise it looks good, those 4 atk EVs aren't really necessary on Sableye so move it to Def. Also I suggest using Mental Herb on Sableye over Leftovers as passive recovery isn't that great for a bulky supporter like Sableye. Mental Herb can let Sableye break out of a Taunt from Thundurus and allow you to Taunt them in return. I find having that a lot more beneficial than using Leftovers.
Metagross: Looks fine moveset wise however I feel that using max Speed is a lot better than max HP as that allows you to outrun most Sylveon as well as speed tie with Bisharp. Personally I would use Zen Headbutt tho as that is another reliable STAB move.
Salamence: looks good :]
Terrakion: Looks good :]
Sylveon: Protect with Specs is kind of redundant tbh even if you're expecting a Knock Off. In that slot I suggest using either Moonblast/HP Ground/Sleep Talk. All 3 has their own uses and it really depends on the player tbh. Moonblast allows Sylveon to bypass Wide Guard, HP Ground hits Heatran and Sleep Talk is good again Spore/Sleep Powder users. Again this really depends on preference, I would go HP Ground tho as your team is a bit weak to Heatran.

Hope I helped dude and good luck with the team :]

Hey dude cool team, I'm gonna go through each Pokemon individually and give you my opinions on them:

Zapdos: One of Zapdos's niche over Thundurus is the access to a reliable recovery move. Not using it is kind of a waste on Zapdos tbh so in that case I recommend switching from Protect to Roost. Also a minor nitpick, Thundurus doesn't learn Tailwind :P
Sableye: Moveset wise it looks good, those 4 atk EVs aren't really necessary on Sableye so move it to Def. Also I suggest using Mental Herb on Sableye over Leftovers as passive recovery isn't that great for a bulky supporter like Sableye. Mental Herb can let Sableye break out of a Taunt from Thundurus and allow you to Taunt them in return. I find having that a lot more beneficial than using Leftovers.
Metagross: Looks fine moveset wise however I feel that using max Speed is a lot better than max HP as that allows you to outrun most Sylveon as well as speed tie with Bisharp. Personally I would use Zen Headbutt tho as that is another reliable STAB move.
Salamence: looks good :]
Terrakion: Looks good :]
Sylveon: Protect with Specs is kind of redundant tbh even if you're expecting a Knock Off. In that slot I suggest using either Moonblast/HP Ground/Sleep Talk. All 3 has their own uses and it really depends on the player tbh. Moonblast allows Sylveon to bypass Wide Guard, HP Ground hits Heatran and Sleep Talk is good again Spore/Sleep Powder users. Again this really depends on preference, I would go HP Ground tho as your team is a bit weak to Heatran.

Hope I helped dude and good luck with the team :]
Hello man!!! thank you for your time and suggestions!!

Zapdos: I move Protect to run Roost, At first look i don't see any changes, but after some matches roost became a move really useful, especially after ussing Tailwind, allowing Zapdos to take better Rock Slide aand Ice type moves.
Sableye: That waas your best suggestion by far. Since some people start to run Taunt in pokemon that you never expect to doing it like Lum Berry Terrakion. The best usage is break out Thundurus, Tornadus & Whimsicott Taunt. Thank you so much for this suggestion.
Metagross: I decided to stay with the same set. To go for the Speed tie i need to run jolly nature, and i want max poweer. Also, since the maajority of Sylveon's aren't invested in Speed and Metagross Speed is 90 i think thats enough. And at this moment I'm going with zen headbutt
Sylveon: I choose Moonblast in the last slot to bypass Wide Guard, because in my team i have 4 moves blocked by this move. Still do a great damage and the chance to low SpA is cool.

Again thanks for you suggestions

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Hello man!!! thank you for your time and suggestions!!

Zapdos: I move Protect to run Roost, At first look i don't see any changes, but after some matches roost became a move really useful, especially after ussing Tailwind, allowing Zapdos to take better Rock Slide aand Ice type moves.
Sableye: That waas your best suggestion by far. Since some people start to run Taunt in pokemon that you never expect to doing it like Lum Berry Terrakion. The best usage is break out Thundurus, Tornadus & Whimsicott Taunt. Thank you so much for this suggestion.
Metagross: I decided to stay with the same set. To go for the Speed tie i need to run jolly nature, and i want max poweer. Also, since the maajority of Sylveon's aren't invested in Speed and Metagross Speed is 90 i think thats enough. And at this moment I'm going with zen headbutt
Sylveon: I choose Moonblast in the last slot to bypass Wide Guard, because in my team i have 4 moves blocked by this move. Still do a great damage and the chance to low SpA is cool.

Again thanks for you suggestions
lol yeah no prob dude, it looks great. Also Metagross is base 70 Speed (yeah that sucks) which is why i suggested it but if it's working out then yeah by all means keep it! Once again, nice team!

Honestly I'd go Earthquake for now to hit Aegislash

Actuallly i'm thinking about replace Metagross for Excadrill With this set:

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: MoldBreaker
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Sped

Iron Head
Rock Slide
Drill Run/ Earthquake
Protect

As you said, my team is a bit weak to Heatran, only Terrakion being the clear option to defeat him easily. But sometimes Heatran is on the field with Kangaskhan and must choose who defeat between that two. By adding Excadrill i still can check Fairy types with STAB Iron Head, hit annoying flying types like Thundurus, Zapdos and kill Tallonflame by outspeed him if Tailwind is set up and OHKO Heatran. As my team have a lot of move that hit both opponents, i think Drill Run is usefull to surpass Wide Guard and kill Aegislash, but Earthquake is better in overall situations.

What do you think about all of this?? I apreciatte a lot your suggestions man !! thank you !

Not really a rate, but i'm not sure if Sableye and Salamence really fit in this team and you could replace them with something that helps against trickroom teams, Heatran and Wide Guard (which is extremely good against your team)

Sableye doesn't really do damage or pressure your opponent and Tailwind works the best when both of your mons are offensive to pressure your opponent, thats why i don't like it.

Bisharp could work in the Metagross slot (pressures trickroom teams, Cresselia, Aegislash and Landorus-T but no fairy resistance) or Heatran (who helps against Hyper Voice but not Landorus, also HP Ground on Mega Garde is a thing atm)

Is there any good reason to use Salamence as your mega? Maybe you can use another mega here that helps more like Kanga or Gardevoir (with HP Ground) which would leave the Sylveon slot open for another pokemon that could fix some weaknesses.

So Bisharp>Metagross (Heatran could work too but Bisharp sounds a lot better here) and think about other options in the Sableye/Salamence (Sylveon) slots

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)