(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^At least we have the GTS now.

In my days...

*puffs on a pipe*

... we had to transfer 'mons via a cable. You had to physically befriend somebody with another GameBoy and a copy of the other game. And, of course, one or both of you had to own the Link Cable. Nowadays you just hook the 3DS up to Wi-Fi and upload your version exclusives to the GTS, asking for the version exclusives of the other game. Easy-peasy, and takes five minutes.

^At least we have the GTS now.

In my days...

*puffs on a pipe*

... we had to transfer 'mons via a cable. You had to physically befriend somebody with another GameBoy and a copy of the other game. And, of course, one or both of you had to own the Link Cable. Nowadays you just hook the 3DS up to Wi-Fi and upload your version exclusives to the GTS, asking for the version exclusives of the other game. Easy-peasy, and takes five minutes.
Good point, however, if you don't know anyone who plays Pokemon (My friends are more of the SSB4 type), then it is still a big pain.

It annoys me how they still have version exclusive pokemon. I don't want to pay for the other version just for a few pokemon.
Good thing trading is a thing, then, as I really don't see Game Freak going without version exclusives anytime soon.
Good point, however, if you don't know anyone who plays Pokemon (My friends are more of the SSB4 type), then it is still a big pain.
Dude. Use the GTS, or ask for a spitback of any version exclusive that isn't a legendary here. (legendary Pokemon can't breed, obviously)

True, but I still wish they could at least bring back the random GTS where you would be paired up with a random person instead of having to manually click on people, and wonder trade is an absolute joke.

True, but I still wish they could at least bring back the random GTS where you would be paired up with a random person instead of having to manually click on people, and wonder trade is an absolute joke.
...You do realize you can deposit your own Pokemon to the GTS asking for what you want instead of dealing with all the foolish people demanding level 1-10 Suicune or any level Arceus for anything, right? And don't knock Wonder Trade, I've gotten a Kyogre among other things off of it. (entirely random Kyogre from HeartGold, but still)

Substitute + double team Tornadus in the battle maison initiated rage like I've never felt before. Luckily, it failed to do much damage to my Clefable...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It annoys me how they still have version exclusive pokemon. I don't want to pay for the other version just for a few pokemon.
Ignoring you can just use the GTS, I would agree that BECAUSE of the GTS that "Version Exclusive" is a bit of a relic concept. Originally it was a marketing gimmick to sell more handhelds and game versions (as well as a Link Cable) so that you can "catch 'em all" (though Nintendo and Game Freak would try to sell if off as encouraging social interaction. SURE...).
Honestly I wouldn't mind the version exclusive thing if they actually did more with it, and I'm not just talking about Pokemon. Ruby & Sapphire's story with their villain teams was a nice start, though honestly its just a cosmetic change (ORAS at least gave them different dialogue/more noticeable dialogue differences, but its still just a cosmetic swap in terms how the story goes). Black & White took things a bit further by having different looking areas (even a version exclusive area), swapping Tripe and Rotation Battles, and BW had the last Gym Leader be different (though they still had the same team except for the Gender and Ability of their Druddigon). I would like to see them go even further still, like maybe having version exclusive puzzles or parts of the story (I'm not saying the whole story should be different, but maybe at certain points you go to different places with different puzzles depending on the version). Maybe they could have different Gym Leader or other important characters that'll slightly change the playing experience. Heck, maybe they could even use the version exclusive Pokemon to shape the way the player needs to play by having drastically different groups of Pokemon.

Last edited:
...You do realize you can deposit your own Pokemon to the GTS asking for what you want instead of dealing with all the foolish people demanding level 1-10 Suicune or any level Arceus for anything, right? And don't knock Wonder Trade, I've gotten a Kyogre among other things off of it. (entirely random Kyogre from HeartGold, but still)
Three words: Wonder Trade Wednesday

Didn't you just describe wonder trade? Being "randomly matched up with people"?
Well, in Gen 5, you could put a pokemon up for trade and then the other person could give you a smiley face, heart, frowny face, or an exclamation point so you could both get the pokemon you wanted. On wonder trade, you just (99.9% of the time) put a level one pokemon up for trade to hope for a good pokemon back.

Ignoring you can just use the GTS, I would agree that BECAUSE of the GTS that "Version Exclusive" is a bit of a relic concept. Originally it was a marketing gimmick to sell more handhelds and game versions (as well as a Link Cable) so that you can "catch 'em all" (though Nintendo and Game Freak would try to sell if off as encouraging social interaction. SURE...).
Honestly I wouldn't mind the version exclusive thing if they actually did more with it, and I'm not just talking about Pokemon. Ruby & Sapphire's story with their villain teams was a nice start, though honestly its just a cosmetic change (ORAS at least gave them different dialogue/more noticeable dialogue differences, but its still just a cosmetic swap in terms how the story goes). Black & White took things a bit further by having different looking areas (even a version exclusive area), swapping Tripe and Rotation Battles, and BW had the last Gym Leader be different (though they still had the same team except for the Gender and Ability of their Druddigon). I would like to see them go even further still, like maybe having version exclusive puzzles or parts of the story (I'm not saying the whole story should be different, but maybe at certain points you go to different places with different puzzles depending on the version). Maybe they could have different Gym Leader or other important characters that'll slightly change the playing experience. Heck, maybe they could even use the version exclusive Pokemon to shape the way the player needs to play by having drastically different groups of Pokemon.
I like the idea about different gym leaders/important trainers, like how they had Iris or Drayden depending on the version (B or W). However, even if there are pokemon that are exclusive in the main story, the counterpart should be obtainable post game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in Gen 5, you could put a pokemon up for trade and then the other person could give you a smiley face, heart, frowny face, or an exclamation point so you could both get the pokemon you wanted. On wonder trade, you just (99.9% of the time) put a level one pokemon up for trade to hope for a good pokemon back.
I wish that they'd go one step further, and make Game Chat a standard feature. That way, you can request for a certain Pokémon, or make it clear that you want help evolving a certain Pokémon, and if the person on the other end of the line can't do that, you say your farewells, and you move on to someone else who can.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Forgot to mention this a few days ago: I got to the final Mirage Spot! You know, the one with the TM I needed to complete my TM collection in ORAS!! So I finally have all the TMs in ORAS!!! :D

Though to rub salt in my now closing wound, after having spent months hoping to get to that Mirage Spot, a few days after getting it I got it AGAIN today. Now I know the game is just messing with me...

I'm annoyed by the Game Chat menu at the start of a battle/trade. Not wanting to use Game Chat doesn't mean I don't want to trade, ffs.

I'm annoyed by the Game Chat menu at the start of a battle/trade. Not wanting to use Game Chat doesn't mean I don't want to trade, ffs.
I don't like trading online outside of the GTS if I can. I don't mind with a fellow Smogonite, but just asking a random person online seems like a bad idea to me, especially if one doesn't want to use the Chat feature.

Why would anyone even want to trade with random people? Especially without the gamechat...

One thing that really annoys me is people who think they are doing someone a favour by trading them a hacked pokemon over the GTS or wonder trade. I'm not against hacking, but trading them to people who don't know they are hacked is not okay.

I was mainly talking about the fact that if you (host) select 'yes' for Game Chat, and your trade/battle partner presses 'no', the whole trade/battle gets canceled, instead of just canceling the Game Chat.

I don't really care about Wonder Trade. An obvious hack in exchange for my breeding reject is a bit better a deal than a level 3 Wurmple, after all.

Reactions: JES
Exactly. I'll happily take a hacked shiny over a stupid Wurmple, Pelliper, Zigzagoon, Linoone, or Poochyena any day of the week, and twice on Wednesdays, so long as they can't ruin my save file! At least they are rare and interesting. :P

Last edited:
If nothing else, the Hacked Shinies might have some value to my friends who aren't concerned about such and would trade something "normal" for it. Like, I had a friend who liked the look of Shiny Greninja, and traded me an EM Heracross (junk IVs) that did help me get my real breeding parent proper for a hack I got off Wonder Trade.

I'm still annoyed how the GTS can be broken sometimes. It takes forever to find an actual trade you can do because so many people do these kinds of trades, "Dragonite Male, level 56, for an Arceus 91+, the message says "Please!" it makes it nearly impossible to find that certain Pokemon. Why doesn't it have a feature for abilities too? There is no way to tell when your looking if the Pokemon you want has the ability you need.

I'm still annoyed how the GTS can be broken sometimes. It takes forever to find an actual trade you can do because so many people do these kinds of trades, "Dragonite Male, level 56, for an Arceus 91+, the message says "Please!" it makes it nearly impossible to find that certain Pokemon. Why doesn't it have a feature for abilities too? There is no way to tell when your looking if the Pokemon you want has the ability you need.
Just put a breeding reject and ask for something, good trades are often dealt within seconds to be honest.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Just put a breeding reject and ask for something, good trades are often dealt within seconds to be honest.
Agreed, when I used the GTS to fill out my dex, while at first I would search for the Pokemon, if there was no good trades I would go get a version exclusive/starter and put it up for the Pokemon I wanted.

I've always had a problem with the GTS due to everyone asking for Legendaries. I kind of wish they made it so you couldn't request a Legendary unless you put up a Legendary or Shiny (and if asking for Event Legendaries you'll need to put up a Event Legendary or Shiny). But of course people would complain we were limiting their option but that level 4 Pidgey is not equal to a Level 100 Arceus, I'm sorry.
Also, as HelenTheHero noted, I think they should let us be able to see the Pokemon's stat screen. I don't see why not, especially if you're going to let them ask for any Pokemon they want. With that said I think you should also have the option to either do "Quick Trade" (how the GTS works now) or "Take Offers" (instead of instantly trading, people would offer the Pokemon you want and you can choose to reject or accept. If multiple offers are made it'll show you all of them so you can choose the best one (unless you reject them all) and at any time someone could take back their offer). May slow down trading, but I think it would make the experience much better.

Agreed, when I used the GTS to fill out my dex, while at first I would search for the Pokemon, if there was no good trades I would go get a version exclusive/starter and put it up for the Pokemon I wanted.

I've always had a problem with the GTS due to everyone asking for Legendaries. I kind of wish they made it so you couldn't request a Legendary unless you put up a Legendary or Shiny (and if asking for Event Legendaries you'll need to put up a Event Legendary or Shiny). But of course people would complain we were limiting their option but that level 4 Pidgey is not equal to a Level 100 Arceus, I'm sorry.
Also, as HelenTheHero noted, I think they should let us be able to see the Pokemon's stat screen. I don't see why not, especially if you're going to let them ask for any Pokemon they want. With that said I think you should also have the option to either do "Quick Trade" (how the GTS works now) or "Take Offers" (instead of instantly trading, people would offer the Pokemon you want and you can choose to reject or accept. If multiple offers are made it'll show you all of them so you can choose the best one (unless you reject them all) and at any time someone could take back their offer). May slow down trading, but I think it would make the experience much better.
Personally I feel it'd be a step in the right direction if they disallow asking for Mythical Pokemon altogether. Very few non-hacked Mythical Pokemon are allowed to be traded over GTS anyway, so what's the point in letting someone throw up a level 10 Beedrill asking for a level 91+ Arceus? Or letting standard legendary Pokemon be asked for at levels below where they can be legally caught at. Suicune should only be allowed to be asked for from level 31 - 40 onwards, as an example.

Yeah, or maybe even a completely different section of the GTS for the legendaries. The GTS is good for the dex, but it's hard for just getting an ability. *Cough* Multiscale *Cough* And it's true that they need to disable asking for legandaries under their spawn levels. Level 21-30 Deoxys anyone?

I haven't had much trouble at all getting HA Pokemon off GTS. You can easily disable all the "special Pokemon" requests from showing up, people are usually good about labeling HA Pokemon (especially since it's usually the selling point,) and I can always find a couple of people offering lvl 1s for a fair-ish trade. You just have to know what "tier" you'll likely have to pony up for the specific HA Pokemon.

Edit: just tested it. Looked on the GTS for a Dratini, lvl 1-10, no special Pokemon, found a Japanese guy offering one for a lvl 1-10 Cubone, and the offer had a bunch of writing that wasn't repetitive (Can't read Japanese). I had one lying around from Wonder Trading spitbacks, so I made the trade. Hidden ability, Extremespeed, and three other egg moves. Give the GTS a chance before you bash it. And Wonder Trade off all your breeding rejects and you will usually have a good core of random mons to trade off. Just watch out for the ones claiming 6 IVs. They're usually lying.

Double edit: if you act now, there's a promising candidate asking for a Scatterbug.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 12)