A Quickstart Guide to ORAS Breeding/Training

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So this is the breeding section so I need help.

I have a Male Snivy with HP fire with contray that is MODEST nature.

I want a snivy with TIMID contary and HP fire so how can I breed to get this?

Please Help!
Fastest way would be to get a Timid Ditto, put an Everstone on it, and breed until you get a baby + Contrary and Timid. Everstone guarantees the Nature being passed down.

The issue then comes when you're trying to breed the Hidden Power:

Fire: 31/E/31/30/31/30 Or 31/O/30/30/31/30 Or 30/E/31/30/31/30 Or 30/O/30/30/31/30

Destiny Knot carries down 5 IVs from the parents, So this bit is the bit that will take time. O = Odd IV and E = Even IV. After that, you know what you are aiming for, and just have to wait for the RNG to decide to give it to you.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm encountering something weird / annoying. The second clerk isn't in the Rustboro Mart and so I can't buy Net, Repeat and Timer Balls from there. I'm in the Delta Episode now, and just went to Fallarbor to buy bulk Dive Balls and that worked ok, I just can't seem to get the ones from Rustboro...

Last edited:
I'm encountering something weird / annoying. The second clerk isn't in the Rustboro Mart and so I can't buy Nest, Repeat and Timer Balls from there. I'm in the Delta Episode now, and just went to Fallarbor to buy bulk Dive Balls and that worked ok, I just can't seem to get the ones from Rustboro...
You have to go to Route 116 and talk to the Scientist in front of Rusturf Tunnel. He'll give you a Repeat Ball, and you'll be able to buy the other Pokeballs in the Rustboro Mart. They sell Net, Repeat, and Timer Balls btw, Nest Balls are from Verdanturf.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You have to go to Route 116 and talk to the Scientist in front of Rusturf Tunnel. He'll give you a Repeat Ball, and you'll be able to buy the other Pokeballs in the Rustboro Mart. They sell Net, Repeat, and Timer Balls btw, Nest Balls are from Verdanturf.
Oh ok! Turns out I never cleared Rusturf Tunnel so I thought that might be it, but on my way back to Rustboro I must have gone right past that guy! Oh and yeah that was a typo, I meant Net :)

Thank you for this list. For whatever reason, "Googling where to find dusk and quick balls" eluded my thought process. They're my favorites for attempting to catch anything!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Why are swablus not just listed as 114 instead of 115? It's so much easier to find them on route 114.
This has already been discussed in this thread. The answer is that they are a 100% chance encounter on Route 115, whereas they aren't on 114 (there's also Seedot and Lotad in OR and AS respectively), which means that even though 115 is out of the way, it's still more effecient

This has already been discussed in this thread. The answer is that they are a 100% chance encounter on Route 115, whereas they aren't on 114 (there's also Seedot and Lotad in OR and AS respectively), which means that even though 115 is out of the way, it's still more effecient
Fair enough, i never came across any other hordes. Didnt realize they were there as well

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Can we put into the OP good moves to use for horde grinding (such as EQ and discharge) and what levels/pokemon can learn them?
There are resources that cover that information all over the internet, it seems like an unnecessary addition and would clutter the OP since there are SO many spread moves. Bulbapedia has a chart of spread moves, anything under 'All foes' or 'All other Pokemon' will hit all 5 targets in a horde battle.

Personally, my favourite horde sweeper is Mawile. It gets Sweet Scent to initiate a horde battle, Incinerate to KO all 5 mons at once, and False Swipe incase you find a shiny and want to catch it. Finish off the set with a damage dealing move (I use Flash Cannon) for KOing one target at a time (for specific EV spreads or catching that shiny) and you've got the perfect Pokemon. Tropius gets Fly + Sweet Scent + Razor Leaf (or Earthquake) and Talonflame and Volcarona get Fly + Incinerate / Heat Wave + Flame Body (for also hatching eggs faster) but no Sweet Scent... I prefer Mawile for False Swipe, plus in ORAS you can just use the Eon Flute to travel without Fly.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Can we put into the OP good moves to use for horde grinding (such as EQ and discharge) and what levels/pokemon can learn them?
To add onto what cant say said, I like Teddiursa because It's the only Pokemon that can learn Sweet Scent and can have the ability Pickup. There are minor downsides though. You have to prevent it from evolving and Its best spread Move is Earthquake. You could just avoid hordes of Flying Types, but if you really want to hit them, there's Rock Slide and Hyper Voice which can miss and cost 12 BP respectively. If you're believe that Pickup outweighs the downsides, I recommend Teddiursa.

If anything, there should be a Recommended Pokemon list.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Lucky Eggs can also be gotten from wild Happiny (some Mirage spots) and from the Pokemileage Club game Graffiti Eraser (level 2).
So there are only 2 Mirage Spots that can have Happiny on them, and they also require luck (they aren't guaranteed to even be there unless you reset for them). Pelliper are much more common so even if you just encounter them normally during the game by Surfing or whatever, by the end of the game when you wanna start getting into all this stuff the search function will already be quite high and you can get into it straight away. And playing attractions in the hope of getting a specific item is the worst idea ever. I did this so I could have a Quick Ball to catch Electrike in early-game and it took me FOREVER....

tl;dr sure those are options, but for the purposes of this guide they are highly inefficient and not worth adding to the OP.

By the way, if Frisk and Shadow Sneak from Shuppet hordes is driving you up the wall, Machop have a 65% chance of appearing in hordes in Jagged Pass.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Shadow Sneak is still a pain.
Another valid complaint. I'd recommend a Normal Type not holding an item then. Shuppet Hordes never bothered me, but then again, I use Teddiursa because of Earthquake and Rock Slide/Hyper Voice, Sweet Scent, and its Pickup Ability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)